Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

made up d4 accent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

A couple across the road from me adopted the D4 accent when they bought a new beamer two years ago ,have to say it was a nice car.There clothes changed and they walked around like they were millionaires ,thinking they were the business.8 weeks ago the car was repossessed and one of the neighbours told me the D4 accent is gone and they are not wearing their saturday night clothes out during the week anymore.They are now a laughing stock.:pac:

Ohh and they have to go to the focking dole office and mix with the people they saw as low life:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

celtic tiger money - ha. my parents went to boarding school, had cleaners etc and they never 'acted' rich or put on fancy accents! 'New money' people make me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Why do people hate this whole "D4" thing?

It seems to be the thing people hate more than anything....D4's...

Yet, other than talk different to 90% of the country (as do we all) and dress like idiots and glow orange from fake tan, they're relatively harmless...in Uggs and whoever the latest fashion brand is (i think it was Tommy Hillfiger in my day, i know abercrombie and fitch had a run, now some other lads surely are the latest "label" to be seen in) not a whole lot unlike girls in hoop earings and in pijamus on the street, equally as annoying / funny / harmless..

The MAIN difference I noticed from living in Sandymount (Southside D4), Complex behind Connolly Station (North inner city) and Drumcondra (North suburbs) is that D4s don't drink and piss on the street, don't break into your car, don't grafiti anything freshly painted, dont bum change or smokes, dont hang around street corners in dozens after midnight in hoodies, don't carry weapons and don't joy ride...

Trust me, you can do a lot worse than having D4's as neighbours, as those areas (southside in general) is an immeasurably nicer place to live in Dublin than inner city or North inner city.

Which is why i can't understand those people being the most hated... :confused:
    No, it's the accent specifically. And Sandymount and the area behind Connolly Station - not exactly a fair comparison. I lived in Phibsborough and Ringsend, and while I liked both areas, I thought Phibsborough was overall nicer (and I didn't see the type of behaviour you're describing - are you sure that was a regular sight in Drumcondra?) But anyway, that's off-topic - don't really see how southside versus northside comes into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

violator13 wrote: »
    Why oh why do some women use that silly made up d4 type accent when you are not from d4 or its ilk? it just makes you look like a moron.Seems to be a women thing.
    rant over.

And those D4 metrosexual "men".

I heard a new word the other day, dork. Translation = Dark.

profitius wrote: »
    And those D4 metrosexual "men".

I heard a new word the other day, dork. Translation = Dark.

Loike I cannot focking see in the dork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    celtic tiger money - ha. my parents went to boarding school, had cleaners etc and they never 'acted' rich or put on fancy accents! 'New money' people make me laugh!

Agreed, the made-up so-called D4 accent is an anachronism. It is a sign of a blatant inferiority complex with Celtic-Tiger cubs/Nouveau riche, trying to ape the accents of old-money families (traditionally found around Ballsbridge, Foxrock, Clontarf, Howth etc) with an American twang (most likely caused by the invasive MTV culture of the last two decades).

Its pathetic to be honest, and immediately obvious to differentiate from a traditional Upper-Middle Class Dublin accent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Lauder wrote: »
    Agreed, the made-up so-called D4 accent is an anachronism. It is a sign of a blatant inferiority complex with Celtic-Tiger cubs/Nouveau riche, trying to ape the accents of old-money families (traditionally found around Ballsbridge, Foxrock, Clontarf, Howth etc) with an American twang (most likely caused by the invasive MTV culture of the last two decades).

Its pathetic to be honest, and immediately obvious to differentiate from a traditional Upper-Middle Class Dublin accent.

i would disagree, utterly. define made up? many people not from these areas may speak like that, but i can assure you go to any d4 school and thats how they speak, maybe originally it was put on, but its now a real accent

Lauder wrote: »

The Apprentice seems to have a few people like that in it from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

i would disagree, utterly. define made up? many people not from these areas may speak like that, but i can assure you go to any d4 school and thats how they speak, maybe originally it was put on, but its now a real accent

Of course, originally it was affected put-on made-up accent, but now has stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

A couple across the road from me adopted the D4 accent when they bought a new beamer two years ago ,have to say it was a nice car.There clothes changed and they walked around like they were millionaires ,thinking they were the business.8 weeks ago the car was repossessed and one of the neighbours told me the D4 accent is gone and they are not wearing their saturday night clothes out during the week anymore.They are now a laughing stock.:pac:

Ohh and they have to go to the focking dole office and mix with the people they saw as low life:pac:

Nothing is more pleasing than some new money D4 retard getting their comeuppance once they've adopted this "Yes I'm well to do, look down on the rest, I've made my money mon" type. I grew up with money around me wherever I looked, I didn't adopt some swanky elitist (wanker) attitude as a result. Snobs and posh people piss me off alike, but especially when it's someone who changed their attitude just because they suddenly came into money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

If they ever revamp the dictionary meaning for "Schadenfreude", this could be in with a shout! Particularly ostentatious w**kers like this deserve to fall a long way.

RMD wrote: »
    Nothing is more pleasing than some new money D4 retard getting their comeuppance once they've adopted this "Yes I'm well to do, look down on the rest, I've made my money mon" type. I grew up with money around me wherever I looked, I didn't adopt some swanky elitist (wanker) attitude as a result. Snobs and posh people piss me off alike, but especially when it's someone who changed their attitude just because they suddenly came into money.

The guy was a builder and the wife an accountant ,both unemployed.And by god did they change ,they would even look people up and down with their heads held high.You would think they had a castle or something.Now they skulk in and out of the house :pac: it's quite funny to look at.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it's quite funny to look at.

bit of a sadist there, nothing to be gloating about mate

bit of a sadist there, nothing to be gloating about mate

You're absolutely right there ,makes me no better than them.I hate to see anyone lose their job and I hope some day they will get through it ,but next time I hope they realise where they came from when they get back on their feet.But we all know that they will be just the same as before ,stuck up W***ers

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Why have I read 9 pages of this :confused::(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Yet, other than talk different to 90% of the country (as do we all) and dress like idiots and glow orange from fake tan, they're relatively harmless...in Uggs and whoever the latest fashion brand is (i think it was Tommy Hillfiger in my day, i know abercrombie and fitch had a run, now some other lads surely are the latest "label" to be seen in) not a whole lot unlike girls in hoop earings and in pijamus on the street, equally as annoying / funny / harmless..

The MAIN difference I noticed from living in Sandymount (Southside D4), Complex behind Connolly Station (North inner city) and Drumcondra (North suburbs) is that D4s don't drink and piss on the street, don't break into your car, don't grafiti anything freshly painted, dont bum change or smokes, dont hang around street corners in dozens after midnight in hoodies, don't carry weapons and don't joy ride...

Trust me, you can do a lot worse than having D4's as neighbours, as those areas (southside in general) is an immeasurably nicer place to live in Dublin than inner city or North inner city.

what an appropriate username, your are a complete jackass. What part of Drumcondra were you living in. Becasue none of the stuff described above happens there bar the pissing on the street which would occur when a match is on in croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

vast areas of the south inner city are no-go areas too, and areas like raheny, clontarf and killester compare measureably with sandymount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

They're faking their current accent, so why not? Their parents don't speak like that, no-one under the age of 40 speaks like that, so why do they?

This D4 'accent' isn't actually an accent, it's an affectation.

Miriam O'Callaghan has a D4 accent and she's ancient

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I still would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

She has a posh accent, not the AA Roadwatch one being referred to here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Her parents are country people and there are some lovely county accents outside the pale to ..of course so one doesn't need to be from Dublin to refine one's accent and I like Miriams
    Dudess wrote: »
    She has a posh accent, not the AA Roadwatch one being referred to here.
    Indeed ,there is a difference

ie ,it's not roundabite or roundaboush ,it's roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

There's also 'quoite a lot of peeple' who have a hybrid D4 telephone voice yet use their normal tones in conversation.

mb1725 wrote: »
    There's also 'quoite a lot of peeple' who have a hybrid D4 telephone voice yet use their normal tones in conversation.

Yeah my Aunt does it.But it was the same years ago ,the whole D4 accent.My dad was telling me when he was growing up the people in the "purchase houses" adopted this accent.My Aunt lived in the "purchase houses"

Advertisement