Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

made up d4 accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This is the real Dublin accent, full of character
    go to 0.45

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Crosáidí wrote: »
    This is the real Dublin accent, full of character religious educational state sponsored brainwashing
    go to 0.45

Fixed it for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

mods are only mods in the forums they moderate, outside that they are just normal users
    Yes I know but that doesn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

A friend of my brothers went to the gaeltacht in Galway years ago for 3 weeks and arrived back home with a D4 accent. He didn't live it down for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Can anyone tell me if Michelle (the one on the left) is speaking with a D4 accent or is there a norn iron twang in it?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Can anyone tell me if Michelle (the one on the left) is speaking with a D4 accent or is there a norn iron twang in it?:confused:

Not even close to a D4 accent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

That accent is such an odd thing. During the last ten years I've moved from Loreto, Foxrock to the Institute to Trinity, and yet I haven't frequently encountered that really exaggerated D4 accent, particularly in school (though Trinity students are probably the worst offenders.) Generally, people who put on that stupid voice are usually insecure about their own accent and want to cover it with an "acceptable" one. I find it difficult to keep a straight face when I have to talk to someone who insists on elongating their vowels to the point of incomprehensibility.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Not even close to a D4 accent that.

Then, where's it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Then, where's it from?

Northern Ireland. I'm not seeing how you get D4 from that, except the constant use of the word 'like' but half the country, if not more, seems to do that now regardless of accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

About two months ago I was bored around the city centre, so I decided I'd go see the Book of Kells as I hadn't before. I joined a tour of Trinity that was already taking place and the tour guide, a philosophy student, literally pronounced 'square' as "sqwaar".

Pretentious tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

This is quintessential D4. Met her once, total bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

why do country people,mainly women who have just moved to Dublin suddenly get a D4 accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Northern Ireland. I'm not seeing how you get D4 from that, except the constant use of the word 'like' but half the country, if not more, seems to do that now regardless of accent.

You can't really hear it in that interview - if you watch Under Ether on RTE, she pronounces a lot of "O"s as "I"s, arind for around, etc.

Sorry to go slightly ot but I was just curious about her twang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It didn't develop as it came from nowhere which makes it fake ;) If people want to create an accent they should at least make it more pleasing on the ear ;)
    Yeah, and if I started speaking in a Klingon accent I'd expect that people wouldn't take me very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

people can scrub up their accents if they want, tends to be a woman thing more so but the sad thing is too much n it'll just inevitably sound like a hybrid of southern english / american, which is almost certain to get you decapitated abroad whilst stoking somewhat similar emotions at home

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I think it is an annoying accent... a lot of the girls arent even worth lookin at so maybe its a power thing>>> "my accent sounds different so im right for you or better than you"

Star Bingo wrote: »
    people can scrub up their accents if they want, tends to be a woman thing more so but the sad thing is too much n it'll just inevitably sound like a hybrid of southern english / american, which is almost certain to get you decapitated abroad whilst stoking somewhat similar emotions at home
    I know Americans that haven't a clue what Irish people with fake accents are talking about. So if they are trying to be more American they have failed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I know Americans that haven't a clue what Irish people with fake accents are talking about. So if they are trying to be more American they have failed badly.

They also sound like sad wannabes from the celtic tiger era which is well dead!

They also sound like sad wannabes from the celtic tiger era which is well dead!
    Exactly, they probably wanted a new accent to go with the 4x4 and mansion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

I'm sure the accent goes really well with the negative equity mortgage.....Right Alison? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Nothing worse than a contrived D4 accent... Sooo annoying! Most people originally from D4 don't even talk like that!
    I know a girl that's originally from Galway but she adopted that accent after a few years at a Dublin university and it is ridiculous!!! What is it that makes people think they sound better with that accent??? I think it just reflects how desperate they are to seem posh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

NO NO NO NO NO

PLEASE NOT ANOTHER D4 THREAD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I know a girl from Bray who calls coke "cuke". She's a right spastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

One thing I will say in this. I don't know what American accent they're trying to imitate. I've been to California, New York, Boston, Virginia, North Carolina and DC and not a single one of those accents sounds anything like this weird D4ish one. The real Californian accent is actually very pleasant to listen to, nothing like what the Hills portray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I know a girl from Bray who calls coke "cuke". She's a right spastic.

years ago at a party a girl like that from bray started slagging northsiders. she flipped when i pointed out that she is a northsider, with bray being in north wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

One thing I will say in this. I don't know what American accent they're trying to imitate. I've been to California, New York, Boston, Virginia, North Carolina and DC and not a single one of those accents sounds anything like this weird D4ish one. The real Californian accent is actually very pleasant to listen to, nothing like what the Hills portray.

the general american is in the r's i think, can't quite nail it but the posh southern english poof is most definitely in the o's, this is where they reveal emselves most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Surprised no-ones mentioned the lisp that sometimes goes with this (made up) D4 accent, I must be the only one who notices it.

"OMG the Dort wosssssss loike ssssso pocked,."

"Con oi get a panini with peppersssss and Cherry tomotossss pleasssse"

Gah!

As someone who's not from Dublin originally , can I just say the proper D4 area accent is quite nice in that it's understandable, seems to be mostly older people though who use it, and this new one has crept in and made students everywhere sound like bad oirish copies of the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You can't really hear it in that interview - if you watch Under Ether on RTE, she pronounces a lot of "O"s as "I"s, arind for around, etc.

Sorry to go slightly ot but I was just curious about her twang!

Replacing an 'O' sound with an 'I' sound is a Northern Irish accent, a D4 accent replaces 'O' sounds with more 'O' sounds. Arooooouuunnd, loike. Or replacing coke with cooke (coo as in 'cool')

LINGUISTIC FUN!!

Back on topic, after spending a few (too many) years in UCD I've noticed that about 90% of first years have changed their accent within the first few months. It's a bit like that Simpsons episode where the school gets uniforms. Everythings grey, everyone wears the same things and eventually they all act and sound the same.

If only it would rain and turn everything to rainbows. /Rides off on unicorn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Replacing an 'O' sound with an 'I' sound is a Northern Irish accent, a D4 accent replaces 'O' sounds with more 'O' sounds. Arooooouuunnd, loike. Or replacing coke with cooke (coo as in 'cool')

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the "rindabyte" thing. Sounds completely Northern to me, no d4 :confused:

Advertisement