Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

made up d4 accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Exactly, they probably wanted a new accent to go with the 4x4 and mansion :rolleyes:

Exactly. their daddies cant afford it anymore! so they prob shud cake down their accent aswell as their makeup and clothes! recession and all!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "ryndabyte", "clydee" (cloudy), "sythe" (south) stuff is totally part of the annoying D4 repertoire, not just nordie - think of Lorraine Keane. I would credit her with creating the monster actually...
    sagat2 wrote: »
    Elocution lessons
    I know you're pretending it isn't a horribly contrived accent and simply people speaking properly, but I'd imagine it makes an elocution teacher's ears bleed. I speak clearly and don't resort to bollocks like the D4 accent.
    Is it? I reckon you hear as many fairly well-off kids putting on scobe accents to appear hard as you do putting on a D4 accent to seem posh.
    But even if they put it on, the accent itself isn't a fake one, unlike the D4 one (albeit no longer fake, but it sure as hell started off fake).
    Would you rather people who actually live in Dublin 4 to fake a north Dublin accent just to please you?
    No?
    I really urge anyone that has a problem with an accent....that's right, an accent, to cop on and grow up. It doesn't paint you in a good light at all and you come across as pretty pathetic or as one of my southside brethren would say
    treble morto for you loike
    Certain accents are painful to listen to - don't see how that's unreasonable. It doesn't bother me that some people detest the Cork accent - and that isn't even put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I have a friend who attends UCD along with myself. We are both from Cavan. I always marvel how after less than a full year in college, her accent is completely different. She says "Haloo" instead of Hello, "Loike" and "Oh Really" and "Banter", which many others from the South Dublin area seem to do. I wouldn't begin to mock someones accent, but what does fascinate me is how and why people change accents :). I am quite proud that my sister bucked the trend, by heading to UCD with a very well spoken, posh accent, and returned after 4 years with a Galway accent because of those whe lived with.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Not that somebody from Galway dosn't can't sound posh :O, I mean she had a very neutral, posh accent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

If i`m not mistaken this accent seemed to originate with Blackrock boy Bob Geldof in the late seventies.

He was considered fairly cool back then, so i figure the local d4 kids just started mimicking his odd way of speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

I think they all sound like Lloyd Grossman with a mouth full of marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Pretty infuriating alright. I was chatting to one lad in the pub one night with such an accent. I assumed he was from south Dublin until he declared "I'm from Sligo". Now, I have no problem with a South County Dublin accent. It's only natural to develop an accent over time based on the your surroundings and the people who occupy it. But this business of adopting an accent based on 2 years studying in UCD/Griffith College is the height of pretentiousness. When I told yer man that I come from Mayo, he replied "Roight. How do you fing living in Dublin?" rather than "Wait til we get ye Mayo cúnts up to Markivecz Park and we'll hammer seven shades a' shíte outta ye, ya Mayo bollicks ya!" :confused:

Brilliant. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why do people hate this whole "D4" thing?

It seems to be the thing people hate more than anything....D4's...

Yet, other than talk different to 90% of the country (as do we all) and dress like idiots and glow orange from fake tan, they're relatively harmless...in Uggs and whoever the latest fashion brand is (i think it was Tommy Hillfiger in my day, i know abercrombie and fitch had a run, now some other lads surely are the latest "label" to be seen in) not a whole lot unlike girls in hoop earings and in pijamus on the street, equally as annoying / funny / harmless..

The MAIN difference I noticed from living in Sandymount (Southside D4), Complex behind Connolly Station (North inner city) and Drumcondra (North suburbs) is that D4s don't drink and piss on the street, don't break into your car, don't grafiti anything freshly painted, dont bum change or smokes, dont hang around street corners in dozens after midnight in hoodies, don't carry weapons and don't joy ride...

Trust me, you can do a lot worse than having D4's as neighbours, as those areas (southside in general) is an immeasurably nicer place to live in Dublin than inner city or North inner city.

Which is why i can't understand those people being the most hated... :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Then, where's it from?

Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'm the type of person who just picks up accents unwittingly. I don't notice it, I don't particularly like it, but I can't help it. A year or two of living/working with someone and I start to sound just like them. I have no idea why, it certainly isn't deliberate, and when someone mentions it to me I'm genuinely shocked, but I don't think people should be hounded for it.

It's an accent. Get over it.

I'm from the country and I've lived in Dublin/suburb for almost ten years now. When I was in college, because of the people I lived with I picked up a Wexford accent and all of their sayings. People do take the mick sometimes because of the fact that I've now picked up a Dublin accent (more a posh one than a knacker one but that's only because of the area I work in, it could have been either) and my other half has told me that as soon as I go home and am around my family for a few days I slip right back into the country accent. Again, i don't notice any of this, and a casual observer would most likely think I'm faking it.

I don't see the big deal really. Personally I'd much prefer to listen to a strong D4 accent than a strong North side one, but that's a personal preference. I love the Cork accent (which grates on a lot of people) and dislike the Northern accent (which most people I know love). It's really not something to get that hung up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Musefan wrote: »
    I have a friend who attends UCD along with myself. We are both from Cavan. I always marvel how after less than a full year in college, her accent is completely different. She says "Haloo" instead of Hello, "Loike" and "Oh Really" and "Banter", which many others from the South Dublin area seem to do. I wouldn't begin to mock someones accent, but what does fascinate me is how and why people change accents :). I am quite proud that my sister bucked the trend, by heading to UCD with a very well spoken, posh accent, and returned after 4 years with a Galway accent because of those whe lived with.

So you're suspicious of your friend from Cavan changing their accent due to environment over time but you're proud of your sister for doing it? There's a double standard there. If someone changed their accent to a posh Dublin one after a week or two in the city, then maybe they're trying to fit in/have notions of pretension. But if someone's accent develops over time, then it's possible that they just acquire accents easily. You've seen it happen with your sister the other way around, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Can someone give me an example of the D4 accent? Like an audio or video clip or something?

I see the writing equivalent on boards pretty much constantly but I have not once ever actually heard this accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

back in the 90s people used to make up having a scumbag accent to sound hard.
    cabinteely paaaaaaaaaaarrrkk ya wha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

liah wrote: »
    Can someone give me an example of the D4 accent? Like an audio or video clip or something?

I see the writing equivalent on boards pretty much constantly but I have not once ever actually heard this accent.

To be honest it's already a dying accent, and they way people right it isn't correct - they're playing off the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books.
    The cast of Fade Street would have been prime suspects for it a couple years back, but it isn't really there now.

The worst case of it I've seen on tv was for a recent add for Nicorette (I think) with a guy in his 30's sitting on the couch talking. I'm pretty sure there was a facebook hate group against him too!

I'll see if i can dig it up somewhere, or perhaps someone else will know what im talking about and find it...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bob Geldof, as mentioned earlier, has the archetypal D4 accent. His is not made up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I would be careful about calling someone out on their accent. I've had numerous jackasses tell me it was sad/funny that "d4 heads like me" adopt an american accent, before being informed that I am in fact american. morons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm sure she's probably exaggerating for the video, but it's the best I could do without posting Dan and Becs, and the girl in that has an accent that changes in every scene. Anyway, enjoy.

Needs more 'like'. They say it even more now. It makes up around 50% of all words spoken amongst under 21 year olds in South County Dublin (Source: CSO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Huh. I get the whole American thing now. It's a weird one alright, sounds a bit like me after way too many drinks when I get stuck somewhere between an Irish and my original North American accent. :pac:

Don't quite get why the accent itself garners so much hate, but I can see why people are irritated by the type of people who may use it.

To be honest it's already a dying accent, and they way people right it isn't correct - they're playing off the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books.
    The cast of Fade Street would have been prime suspects for it a couple years back, but it isn't really there now.

The worst case of it I've seen on tv was for a recent add for Nicorette (I think) with a guy in his 30's sitting on the couch talking. I'm pretty sure there was a facebook hate group against him too!

I'll see if i can dig it up somewhere, or perhaps someone else will know what im talking about and find it...

Never quoted myself before but....

David McDonell of the Niquitin ads!!

Now, I'm still having trouble finding a video of it, so if anyone could help...

Can't be bothered - requires willpower

• Advertisement

Can't be bothered - requires willpower

I bet you one thanks that you couldn't find it if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

I grew up on the southside, went to one of the 'rugby' schools, hung out with the typical crowd from those schools so I naturally have an accent like you talk about. I certainly didn't make it up and to be honest I wish I didn't have it. I am in no way like the stereotyped Ross O'Carroll Kelly type and yet have been in countless situations where I'm slagged about my accent, starts off innocent but I can sense something a little deeper.
    Be it in college, meeting new people, at gigs or anywhere really, I usually get the usual nonsense from idiots. I really urge anyone that has a problem with an accent....that's right, an accent, to cop on and grow up. It doesn't paint you in a good light at all and you come across as pretty pathetic or as one of my southside brethren would say
    treble morto for you loike

Completely agree with this! I'm from what would be considered a 'posh' area of Dublin, went to a private school, am now in UCD, blah, blah.

I think (or at least I hope) that the accent people are complaining about is the one which is very obviously 'put on' and afflicted. I'm talking about someone like Rachel Ray here. (ugh) :mad:
    Most people who had the same upbringing as myself do no have this accent. There is a very big difference between a South County Dublin accent (yes, it does exist) and an extremely 'D4' accent.
    I, for one, certainly don't geeew around speaking like a total mong like. :o

I have been slagged for having a 'posh' accent in the past. Usually from people I would consider petty and bitchy and wouldn't be bothered by their opinion anyway.
    I don't particularly like many of the 'culchie' or northside accents out there but I would never dream of berating someone about it! T'would be lovely if people could give Southsiders the same courtesy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Holy ****, found the thread that originally mentioned that and clicked on the video...this is what came up "removed due to a violation of youtube's policy prohibiting hate speech"

So slagging D4s because of their accent is akin to racially abusing someone? ....you stay classy youtube.

Thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055921459

I bet you one thanks that you couldn't find it if you tried.

You're on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

This new thing of girls adopting an American accent is incredibly annoying! I've noticed girls seem to mimic accents a lot more than fellas! Throw in a few choice lines from the hills and its facemelting. When I was over in the US on a J1 we were in a house with a load of corkonians and one of the Dublin girls ended up with a disgusting American / Cork hybrid accent.

Amazing, found a youtube vid embedded here on boards of the ad and clicked on it.

'This video has been removed as a violation of youtube's policy prohibiting hate speech'

You win, can't find it becase it's been removed from the web. Must have been a really annoying ad so!

YEsssss. I knew it!

Now, there must be somewhere that exchanges thanks' for cash.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

This might be a stupid question but.... Where the hell is "D4" ? is it some sort of secret dimension like Dimension 4.0? Or is that just text talk shortener for like Defore?

tdv123 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but.... Where the hell is "D4" ? is it some sort of secret dimension like Dimension 4.0? Or is that just text talk shortener for like Defore?

It's Defore, county Roscommon. Haven't you heard of it?

• Advertisement

tdv123 wrote: »

It's a secret revealed only to those above a certain affluence level ;)

Advertisement