Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

made up d4 accent

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Never once heard this.

And you are forgetting the classic Right = Roysh.

I knew a bloke who was working in a golf club bar for a summer as a student. He hated the whole class system and D4 snobbery and was thinking about quitting.
    One day a Ross O'Carrol Kelly type asked him for a Cuke.
    Yer mans says " A what"
    Ross says "A cuke!!"
    Yer mans hands him a bag of peanuts
    Ross says "A focking cuke. Loike ore you tootally deaf?"
    Yer man answers "Sorry i havnt a clue what you are saying"

He was sacked a very amused man.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

its kinda sad to be offendeed by an accent OP. Would you rather people who actually live in Dublin 4 to fake a north Dublin accent just to please you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

its kinda sad to be offendeed by an accent OP. Would you rather people who actually live in Dublin 4 to fake a north Dublin accent just to please you?

They're faking their current accent, so why not? Their parents don't speak like that, no-one under the age of 40 speaks like that, so why do they?

This D4 'accent' isn't actually an accent, it's an affectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I knew a bloke who was working in a golf club bar for a summer as a student. He hated the whole class system and D4 snobbery and was thinking about quitting.
    One day a Ross O'Carrol Kelly type asked him for a Cuke.
    Yer mans says " A what"
    Ross says "A cuke!!"
    Yer mans hands him a bag of peanuts
    Ross says "A focking cuke. Loike ore you tootally deaf?"
    Yer man answers "Sorry i havnt a clue what you are saying"

He was sacked a very amused man.

What class system
    As someone once said on boards.ie so eloquently "Every person in Ireland is only 2 generations removed from being a muck savage"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maxxie wrote: »
    At least they are comfortable with who they! Must be hard being a wannabe putting that silly accent on all day!

"Omigawd! LOOK at the TOTAL state of that girl? She thinks she's loike a focking SOUTHSIDER?? Ohmigod she's wearing focking Abercrombie loike **** mon? I mean go back to Tallaght wherever the hell that is??!"

tallaght is on the southside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

violator13 wrote: »
    Why oh why do some women use that silly made up d4 type accent when you are not from d4 or its ilk? it just makes you look like a moron.Seems to be a women thing.
    rant over.

Hell no it's a state of mind and the place to be! Sorry no room for everybody!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Best Forum on Boards by far... I love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

tallaght is on the southside

its a joke! Im from Tallaght :rolleyes:

maxxie wrote: »
    its a joke! Im from Tallaght :rolleyes:

im not slagging you. what you posted is the exact mentality one expects from a 'd4'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Alot of that accent is a mismatch of those dopey gob****es on The Hills and a woman taking a massive log in the mouth.

• Advertisement

Alot of that accent is a mismatch of those dopey gob****es on The Hills and a woman taking a massive log in the mouth.

keep talking

They're faking their current accent, so why not? Their parents don't speak like that, no-one under the age of 40 speaks like that, so why do they?

Most of the time its not faking. The accent annoys me too but I don't think you should judge people for it anymore then you shouldn't judge someone with a north sider accent. You can't try to socially police young people, they'll do what they want.

Most of the time its not faking. The accent annoys me too but I don't think you should judge people for it anymore then you shouldn't judge someone with a north sider accent. You can't try to socially police young people, they'll do what they want.

the strange thing is, what i bolded in your post is found all over the south side the same as the d4 accent is found all over the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I grew up on the southside, went to one of the 'rugby' schools, hung out with the typical crowd from those schools so I naturally have an accent like you talk about. I certainly didn't make it up and to be honest I wish I didn't have it. I am in no way like the stereotyped Ross O'Carroll Kelly type and yet have been in countless situations where I'm slagged about my accent, starts off innocent but I can sense something a little deeper.
    Be it in college, meeting new people, at gigs or anywhere really, I usually get the usual nonsense from idiots. I really urge anyone that has a problem with an accent....that's right, an accent, to cop on and grow up. It doesn't paint you in a good light at all and you come across as pretty pathetic or as one of my southside brethren would say
    treble morto for you loike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Good point. And that is why it is so grating on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My sister does this. She's from Cork. And every sentence is finished with the pitch of her voice going up like a question in a smarmy D4 kind of way. And there's no point in pointing it out, she's oblivious to it.

Also, it's not uncommon to pick up accents relatively quick. A couple of months in Canada and I was 'abooting' and 'aying' all over the place. Sure I went up to Donegal to my girlfriend's family last year for a week and when I got back my mates pointed out that for a day I had a bit of an accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Also, it's not uncommon to pick up accents relatively quick. A couple of months in Canada and I was 'abooting' and 'aying' all over the place. Sure I went up to Donegal to my girlfriend's family last year for a week and when I got back my mates pointed out that for a day I had a bit of an accent.

Yes true but the accents in both Donegal and Canada have been there for a lot longer than 20 or 30 years, I think thats the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

My sister does this. She's from Cork. And every sentence is finished with the pitch of her voice going up like a question in a smarmy D4 kind of way. And there's no point in pointing it out, she's oblivious to it.
    Record her, play it back.

the strange thing is, what i bolded in your post is found all over the south side the same as the d4 accent is found all over the northside

Well yeah. I've been to Malahide lol!:D

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Yes true but the accents in both Donegal and Canada have been there for a lot longer than 20 or 30 years, I think thats the issue.

Languages change, so do accents. Why does everyone have a problem with this? Is it because the accent is different that everyone hates it or because it's new? If you want the English language to not change well then I suppose we better take languages in ye Olde English, it evolved from then, it'll continue to evolve. Be it adding words like 'like' to the end of sentences or speaking in txt spk, the English language is continually changing and there's nothing much anyone can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People hate it because it's a contrived and artificial affection, used by people who purposely try to sound like Americans they see on television. It's not an evolution of language, it's posh kids pretending to be Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Languages change, so do accents. Why does everyone have a problem with this? Is it because the accent is different that everyone hates it or because it's new? If you want the English language to not change well then I suppose we better take languages in ye Olde English, it evolved from then, it'll continue to evolve. Be it adding words like 'like' to the end of sentences or speaking in txt spk, the English language is continually changing and there's nothing much anyone can do about it.

You are mixing up speech and language.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You are mixing up speech and language.

Probably am, explain it to me in a nutshell.

Actually, don't bother, I gotcha ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

There is a big difference between an accent that develops over a couple of generations and a annoying fake accent that someone picks up in a month. Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

Yeah, of course, they were ashamed, that's the reason :rolleyes:

I'm sure that there's kids been born now to parents with this accent, they'll maybe always talk like that, does that make it okay then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

There is a big difference between an accent that develops over a couple of generations and a annoying fake accent that someone picks up in a month. Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

even if it was originally made up, after a number of years being around it where people 'made it up' others wil pick up on it, from that point on its an independent accent. this has happened so for case of people growing up around the accent - it isnt a 'fake' accent, its a genuine accent.

I love how this accent winds up people, I personally cant stand the sudod4 accents you hear off them folk north of the river but i dont complain :)

Yeah, of course, they were ashamed, that's the reason :rolleyes: You are contradicting yourself with that answer ;)

I'm sure that there's kids been born now to parents with this accent, they'll maybe always talk like that, does that make it okay then? They might do like their parents and change back to a normal accent ;)

even if it was originally made up, after a number of years being around it where people 'made it up' others wil pick up on it, from that point on its an independent accent. this has happened so for case of people growing up around the accent - it isnt a 'fake' accent, its a genuine accent.

I love how this accent winds up people, I personally cant stand the sudod4 accents you hear off them folk north of the river but i dont complain :)
    It didn't develop as it came from nowhere which makes it fake ;) If people want to create an accent they should at least make it more pleasing on the ear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement