Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

200mb for €52 in a phone and broadband bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

200mb for €52 in a phone and broadband bundle

I was basing my assumption on http://www.upc.ie/deals/TvandBroadband/

I have just spoken to them and have been told that 150Mb is the fastest I can get without going for the Horizon offers and that 200Mb BB is only available with the horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Living in Cork City. No landline. What are my options? There is, what seems, to be a previous used UPC wall unit in the apartment, but I dont know if that was a TV or Internet unit.

Does Vodafone Simply Package require a landline to operate? Are my only options the Mobile Broadband Mifi units and dongles? Have been using the mobile broadband but would like to upgrade and be able to download a bit more and also Skype.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »
    Just out of contract on a mobile dongle. Looking to get something else and living in a fibre enabled area. (very old in-active line in house currently) I don't mind going down the landline option and I'm with VF for my mobile so I can get slightly reduced prices from them for landline services. Calls are not really important so I can take it or leave it when it comes to a calls package. Broadband is the important part.

What's the recomendations?

In Dundalk and went with Vodafone for efiber. Ordered it around the 20th but not getting installed until the 25th November. Modem arrived the other day so just have to wait now. I rang and offered to take an installation at short notice but was told I'll just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Hey guys,

Could anyone shed some light on how punitive Eircom are with download penalties around this time? I recently moved into a house which I assumed to have an unlimited package. Turns out we are on the 30gb package and I've downloaded about 150 gigs.

Will they send me a warning before any sort of extra charges - whereby I would be happy to upgrade to unlimited - or could I be charged outright? Do they actually care?

Edit : Also the Eircom website is telling me on the download statistics screen that my allowance is 10gb even though it's 30gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Eircoms efibre map with rough dates
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Then have a look at this map http://irelandoffline.org/map/ to see what is in your area or ID which exchange you are probably on , I don't know if the VDSL cabinet locations are as up to date as https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

And remember the closer you are to a cabinet the closer you will get to the "Up to" speed. Further away you might as well be on ADSL2 and at about 4Km ADSL is all you'll get because physics, in some cases you may be lucky to get 1Mb and end up using a dongle

A reminder that UPC are offering 50MB/Unlimited for €30
    And possibly €7 less if you can survive on a 30GB cap
    €27 for existing customers via cancellation ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063005
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

Have they changed this? Cant see any sign of the €30 euro package anywhere and that pdf has been removed from the site. No mention of that 30gb cap there either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes they've changed it to www.upc.ie/pdf/basicsbundle.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

anyone tell me what are my options in rural galway. Im between ardrahan and gort. Currently only have 2mb eircom.
    I wonder can i get my landline upgraded to there "up to 24mb" line

basically if i can get above 6/7 mb il be happy out!

any other options? pings gotta be low tho as i wanna play games online so i suppose that rules out satellite bb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

flynnlives wrote: »
    anyone tell me what are my options in rural galway. Im between ardrahan and gort. Currently only have 2mb eircom.
    I wonder can i get my landline upgraded to there "up to 24mb" line

basically if i can get above 6/7 mb il be happy out!

any other options? pings gotta be low tho as i wanna play games online so i suppose that rules out satellite bb
    forget satellite ,240-280ms up/down for packets outbound and the same for the reply. And that's just the speed of light delay because you are going at a slant angle to something 35,786 km above the equator thousands of miles away from the Greenwich Meridian.

Have a look at this to see which exchange you are near
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/

double the distance you measure from the white dot to allow for cabling routes or check if your router gives that measurement

your max speed is determined by physics if you are too far then it doesn't matter if you use ADSL1/ADSL2+/VDSL you still won't get much :(

your max speed is also determined by the state of the copper , you could just have a [####!] line :(

BUT the good news is that if/when a fibre enabled cabinet is available locally then the same rules of physics that limit your top speed still apply, it's just that you measure the distance to the cabinet rather than the exchange, and if you are within 1Km of the exchange then you are more likely to get the good stuff.

Also check locally to see if FIXED wireless is available. Ask neighbours with antennas on their roofs or at the local computer repair places. YMMV

I honestly don't know if the ping times are good enough for gaming, and the install is usually expensive because they have to mount an antenna pointing at the tower. ( a lot of back bone that doesn't go over fibre does go over fixed wireless - the 3g dongles and other internet in a box products aren't remotely close to proper fixed wireless )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I'm in Ballsbridge, my options are eircom, wimax and Vodafone. Any advice on these providers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Hi guys, my current broadband provider is Magnet. Im very frustrated as I was supposed to be getting fiber two months ago but it has been pushed back to December 2014. My current speeds are (roughly) 40 ping 10 download 50 upload.
    I use the internet for heavy gaming/livestreams/youtube/streaming movies. To keep it short im unable to do these tasks with my current broadband speeds, without keeping the hair on my head.
    Basically, I was wondering if either a Meteor 4g stick would be faster than the above or Satellite broadband? Im based in Limerick City.
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should also note I am unable to avail of UPC broadband.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I use the internet for heavy gaming/livestreams/youtube/streaming movies.
    Basically, I was wondering if either a Meteor 4g stick would be faster than the above or Satellite broadband? Im based in Limerick City.
    Depending on which satellite service you go with you could be contending (fighting for bandwidth) with people all over Europe.

And if you get a genuine ping time of less than 475ms for satellite the folks at CERN will be very interested.

The advertised speeds for 4G are total bandwidth per cell and are only achievable over a tiny % of the cell area close to the mast, and you'd may need a ladder too. You would be time slicing with people at the edges of the cell. So someone connecting at at 1/10 the max speed will take 10 times as much of the bandwidth to download the same thing as you.

Use the irelandoffline map or siteviewer on comreg to find the nearest masts to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Sky,UPC,Eircom !!!!!
    Hi folks a bit of advice here please.
    I'm moving to ennis in the next few weeks and I really don't know which is the best tv service and broadband to get.
    Ok here goes
    I was looking at getting the Sky dreambox but I have heard some bad stories about it. I was just thinking then I have use of a friends Sky Go so I have all the sky sports and movies on my I pad all ready.
    So I'm thinking am I not better off to get Sky basic package and Apple TV so I could watch all the movies and sport off my I pad on to my TV. But which is the best broadband package to get then I wonder.

Can someone get a grip of me here please ha ha.
    Any advice I would appreciate please.
    I'm moving to the Roslevan area and the last people in the house had Sky so SAT dish is still up and I also think there is a unconnected phone line in the house also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Depending on which satellite service you go with you could be contending (fighting for bandwidth) with people all over Europe.

And if you get a genuine ping time of less than 475ms for satellite the folks at CERN will be very interested.

The advertised speeds for 4G are total bandwidth per cell and are only achievable over a tiny % of the cell area close to the mast, and you'd may need a ladder too. You would be time slicing with people at the edges of the cell. So someone connecting at at 1/10 the max speed will take 10 times as much of the bandwidth to download the same thing as you.

Use the irelandoffline map or siteviewer on comreg to find the nearest masts to you,

Cheers, the satellite sounds like a no go, but im a bit confused about the 4g. Ive been looking around and there is no speed advertised just that it is 10x faster than 3g. This qrz2bk.png is roughly 700m away from my gaff, are these masts? Do you rekon ide get a good speed?.

Cheers, the satellite sounds like a no go, but im a bit confused about the 4g. Ive been looking around and there is no speed advertised just that it is 10x faster than 3g. This qrz2bk.png is roughly 700m away from my gaff, are these masts? Do you rekon ide get a good speed?.

Hucfqb2.png
    number of users
    >

This is what happens when other people join the cell, ref http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/

at 700m indoors you are more likely to be average rather than strong

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NwRepairman

Hey folks,
    am living in Strandhill in Sligo.
    Looking for fixed line connection .. ..

Anyone know if/when UPC will be coming out this far? Their BB is available a couple of miles away and I havent checked with them in a while...

Anybody else worth looking at?

Have tried Wimax but not available at my address...
    Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

With 3G and 4G it is hit and miss really. The speeds I got in the past on 3G were excellent on paper, but it could be 10mb now and dropped to 200kb 10 seconds later. You also will have some limits, so if you are heavy internet user it is better to have 2mb eircom fixed broadband than using mobile broadband. I used 3g at home for over a year, and after getting fixed broadband I will never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I'm in Ballsbridge, my options are eircom, wimax and Vodafone. Any advice on these providers?

Me too mate, moved here a few weeks ago. After 3 years of UPC in my old place i have Vodafone now and i want to cry. The download speed is quite slow and the internet 'cuts out' nearly every time when i'm downloading. I called UPC and they can't provide broadband in this area.

Can you let me know if you hear anything? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭OcocO

Please could someone post a list of the providers that currently resell "eFibre" bandwidth. This thread originated with one but it's out of date now.

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Got some crap news today myself. The new house I'm moving into the phone line is attached to the old exchange in ennis so all the line can hold is up to 4 mgb so no efiber for me. Also upc not down our cul de sac . So my options now are ****ty 4mg with eircom or sky which work off the same line .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Me too mate, moved here a few weeks ago. After 3 years of UPC in my old place i have Vodafone now and i want to cry. The download speed is quite slow and the internet 'cuts out' nearly every time when i'm downloading. I called UPC and they can't provide broadband in this area.

Can you let me know if you hear anything? thanks

I went for wimax, seems good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

OcocO wrote: »
    Please could someone post a list of the providers that currently resell "eFibre" bandwidth. This thread originated with one but it's out of date now.

Thank you in advance.

Go to "switch.ie" put in you detail one will get all the suppliers there and the costs.

airuser wrote: »
    Go to "switch.ie" put in you detail one will get all the suppliers there and the costs.

Did you mean "uswitch.ie"?

Yes

Yes

Cheers. :)

Hope that helps.

Bring a pen and paper also to work out the various offers.

I have tried to work out which supplier is the best option .

There are some catches there about upgrading it fibre and length of contracts.

Hope that helps.

Bring a pen and paper also to work out the various offers.

I have tried to work out which supplier is the best option .

There are some catches there about upgrading it fibre and length of contracts.

I think Vodafone might be the best option for me. I've had a look through the threads and there don't seem to be too many Vodafone related horror stories.

Tnx 4 your help.

Look at their website. I was with VF. and went to Sky. I found CS poor with VF.

As I said look at their support site. But, if VF is the only option. Then that is. At present I have a constant speed of 8. Does me fine at this time.

If you could find a neighbour with fibre see who they use.

Around me I can see that UPC is the major user followed by Eircom.

Can see the wifi connection on my iphone .

Look at their website. I was with VF. and went to Sky. I found CS poor with VF.

As I said look at their support site. But, if VF is the only option. Then that is. At present I have a constant speed of 8. Does me fine at this time.

If you could find a neighbour with fibre see who they use.

Around me I can see that UPC is the major user followed by Eircom.

Can see the wifi connection on my iphone .

I can't get UPC unfortunately - I believe that many would opt for them given the choice. I can get SKY but I'm boycotting them on principle - I won't go into details for fear of being moderated. Eircom could be an option but their accompanying phone package isn't as attractive to my usage patterns as VF's.

I've been on to VF and found their sales team very helpful (no surprise there, of course). I'll probably give them a go and hope that their after-sales support is as good as their sales support.

• Advertisement

Well, that why I am staying with Sky, for the time being. CS is good. I can get through to them.

Had Upc et al but then went to Sky for TV. Suits my needs.

Yes, working out packages, ones needs, is a difficult issue.

Remember the 30 days notice prior to moving. Anyway if you move to VF they should do that

Advertisement