Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just looking for any recommendations for the best broadband around East Cork. Specifically Youghal.

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hairyface

im looking to change my 3 midband to a broadband provider so the young lad can play his xbox online any idea which is the best provider in monasterevin
    i was thinking of going with sky or vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 greengirl1968

hi there,

I wonder could anyone help, my wifi light on my modem keeps flashing, now I can get into the internet but can't download a film for example or the online course that I'm doing - which is very annoying :mad:

I've been onto Vodafone today - and friday for two hours and they keep fiddling around with resetting the modem etc etc and now today say that their lines aren't working properly - is this why the wifi isn't working properly... I'm locked into a contract with them otherwise I'd switch - to anyone else. Does anyone actually know anybody who can come and do a callout and have a look at the line and the modem or is this Vodafone's obligiation - its like pulling teeth with them

any help appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ibDennis

Hi Guys,

Just moved into the rivers towers apartments. No. 2 the mews on the lee road in Cork City.

Anyone who lives there know what is the best service to get? UPC seems to be out. Their online checker, does not know where I am it seems:-(

Thanking you guys in advance:-)

Dennis

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Hi guys I'm moving into a shared house at the weekend but there is only negative... No broadband! The other housemates don't use the internet much - just use their phone or a cheap dongle.

I'm wondering what broadband package would suit me? It's just me and I use the internet to download more than anything. I'm not a heavy downloader, maybe one/two movies max a week. Any suggestions? Oh and it goes without saying... I want the cheapest option too!

I'll be living in Ringsend, Dublin.

P.S: Is it possible to get broadband wireless on a 6 month contract? or anything less than a year? I'm in a house share so obviously anything could happen and I may end up leaving before the year is up.

I had a three wireless modem before but the signal wasn't great. Is it good in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Xeteth

Hi there,

My girlfriend has just moved to Ireland for a semester of uni on exchange.

She has just set herself up with a vodaphone 4g wireless net connection however is finding she is having issues with it dropping out, poor connection speeds etc etc (as expected from a mobile network).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an ISP that provides either cable or an ADSL connection that does not have a contract? I have done some searching and magnet seem to be the only option, however I have read the reviews and it doesn't sound to be the best.

She is currently living in Dublin 2.

Are there any other options or could someone maybe point me in the right direction?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 James_Mc

Hi guys,

I live in a rural area in Louth just 3 mins outside Drogheda. I currently have wimax connected to the mount oriel station in Collon but the congestion is absolutely shocking 6pm - 11pm and not great during the day. A normal speed test at 7pm would be 0.50mg download 0.10mg upload!

Ive been in contact with Eircom, vodafone and digiweb metro package 30mg!

Can anyone give me more info from experience and give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Hi everyone,

Looking for the best broadband available to Brosna, Kerry.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

James_Mc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I live in a rural area in Louth just 3 mins outside Drogheda. I currently have wimax connected to the mount oriel station in Collon but the congestion is absolutely shocking 6pm - 11pm and not great during the day. A normal speed test at 7pm would be 0.50mg download 0.10mg upload!

Ive been in contact with Eircom, vodafone and digiweb metro package 30mg!

Can anyone give me more info from experience and give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks

Hi

If fibre is available in your area then go with it. However Eircom are the most expensive for this. Have a look at Digiweb, Vodafone, Magnet, etc. for cheaper alternatives. Please be aware that there is usually a initial connection fee.

If this is not available then there's Metro from Digiweb, which is somewhat better than Wimax and possibly a lot faster. Starting at €29.95 for the first 3 months (€44.95 or €49.95 depending on which 30mb package chosen). Installation is free.

As for me I have the Digiweb Metro 30nb service here in Naas and on average I get between 25 - 29mb down. Any issues I have had have generally been resolved reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all,
    I'm a rural area (Moyvore exchange) with a 7MB congested broadband package (Basic ADSL) and unlimited anytime calls (as I work from home a lot) and I'm considering switching to Vodafone or UTV as it's 20 euro less per bill.
    My main fear is that my BB service will be even worse than it is now (sometimes it can be VERY slow in the evenings) - is this fear unfounded or is there anecdotal evidence that would suggest this ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Debs91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Looking for the best broadband available to Brosna, Kerry.

Thanks
    Doesn't seem like there's DSL broadband available in the area.

Fixed wirelss, 3G and satellite are your options, I have them ordered in the quality of broadband you will generally get.

Fixed wireless:
    www.kernet.ie
    www.permanet.ie
    www.kerrybroadband.ie
    www.bbnet.ie

All these providers have some sort of coverage in your area. I have neither of them so I can't vouch for their quality

Mobile:
    Brosna is one of the areas served by the National Broadband Scheme, and mobile broadband is available in the area from Three, at a discounted rate (www.three.ie)
    Vodafone seem to have a 3G site not too far from the village too so they might be worth checking out

Satellite:
    Last resort, there should be information about satellite providers in the midband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Any suggestions for Courtmacsherry, Co. Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Coll79

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if Eircom's shortest contract is 18 months?

I'm looking for info for broadband in Limerick that isn't UPC, Sky or Eircom(unless they have a 12 month contract). i can't get UPC or Sky.

Any suggestions for WiFi?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all, I am moving to Headford area in Galway soon and will no longer be able to get UPC. Just wondering what would people recommend as a provider?

Vodafone seem to be 35 euro for unlimited, Sky at 40 and Eircom at 35. All offering speeds of "up to" 24mbs apart from Sky who are showing as 20Mbs

In terms of reliability etc, what would people recommend? Would use broadband from streaming football, tv, downloads and for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey all, I am moving to Headford area in Galway soon and will no longer be able to get UPC. Just wondering what would people recommend as a provider?

Vodafone seem to be 35 euro for unlimited, Sky at 40 and Eircom at 35. All offering speeds of "up to" 24mbs apart from Sky who are showing as 20Mbs

In terms of reliability etc, what would people recommend? Would use broadband from streaming football, tv, downloads and for gaming.

I cant comment on what broadband is like in Galway but the operative word with a lot of companies is UP TO That doesn't mean you will get anywhere near what they say you can get up to.
    I live in the South West & Vodafone rang me the other day & offered me 15Mb unlimited for "I forget".
    Now that's all well & good because my line can take 15Mb but I know for a fact that my local exchange can only give me 3Mb until it is upgraded in a couple of months. Now Vodafone will offer me up to 15Mb but in reality I would get only 3Mb.
    I'm with Sky since the broadband trials & I have never had a problem with them but others may differ.It depends where you are I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

hey, I live just out side Lusk, Co. Dublin and I'm currently connected to ripple broadband which I feel is not the best connection we could have. Currently getting 3 - 5 mb. Any recommendations on a broadband for my area?

TrueIt wrote: »
    hey, I live just out side Lusk, Co. Dublin and I'm currently connected to ripple broadband which I feel is not the best connection we could have. Currently getting 3 - 5 mb. Any recommendations on a broadband for my area?

Hi

There are other broadband alternatives to Ripplecom in Lusk. Fibre is available in the area with all ISP's offering it (except Sky). If there is a phone line installed in your home then it will be worth looking at.

If however fibre is not available at your address and fixed wireless is the only option for you then there is Digweb Metro, with speeds pf up to 30Mb down/1Mb up from €44.95pm (€29.95pm for first 3 months - applies to Metro Express 30Mb only). See http://www.digiweb.ie for info. I have Metro here in Naas and my average speeds are between 25-29Mb down/.95Mb up and I find them Ok to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Anyone in Dublin 3 using Sky bb and if so what do you think of the service. I'm currently with upc and never had a problem. However it works out much cheaper if I tie Sky bb in with my tv package. Would I be mad to change ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jos28 wrote: »
    Anyone in Dublin 3 using Sky bb and if so what do you think of the service. I'm currently with upc and never had a problem. However it works out much cheaper if I tie Sky bb in with my tv package. Would I be mad to change ?
    Depends on how much BB you want and how much you can get down a phone line.

Ask your neighbours what speeds they are getting.

UPC are giving 120Mb , depending on where you live and the quality of your phone line you might only get 4Mb over DSL - check for local cabinets

If the alternative looks OK then you can always threaten to leave UPC and see if cancellations will make an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Capt ! Had a quick look at available networks and it seems all my neighbours use UPC, not a sign of Sky users. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence !
    I'm going to give both companies a ring and see what they have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Long story short Im currently onNBS with 3. Service has really deteriorated since Xmas. Had hoped to stay with them as its good value when it works. But it no longer works!

Has anyone any experience with o2 or tesco ?
    I see they are offering mobile broadband with WiFi .I'd like to be able to use YouTube and xbox live again which I had been able to do until Xmas.
    Im in kiltullagh galway. Just off m6 between athenry and loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyone try NovA Broadband heard good things about it but wondering if it'd be a decent upgrade from my 3mb eircom line

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gearoil

Hi living between cabinteely and foxrock am eircom, but feels like I'm back in the early 90s with broadband it's so slow, can make a cup of tea while waiting for page to load fiber optics due last month eircom blaming dunlaoghaire rathdown for not doing whatever. Anyone know what SP works in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

What's the best options for mobile broadband in the Sandyford area. Currently have o2 but want to start using nexflix so the 15Gb monthly allowance won't last long! Don't have a telephone line and cannot get UPC in our estate so mobile is the only option. From looking 3 have a 60Gb allowance plan for €35 pm but not sure about coverage in our area as well as 60Gb probably not being enough, are there any 'unlimited' options out there for mobile broadband?

Weetabix wrote: »
    What's the best options for mobile broadband in the Sandyford area. Currently have o2 but want to start using nexflix so the 15Gb monthly allowance won't last long! Don't have a telephone line and cannot get UPC in our estate so mobile is the only option. From looking 3 have a 60Gb allowance plan for €35 pm but not sure about coverage in our area as well as 60Gb probably not being enough, are there any 'unlimited' options out there for mobile broadband?

Hi

Shame UPC is unavailable to you. Is fibre available? If not there are alternatives to mobile in the form of fixed wireless. This consists of a small aerial on your roof/chimney that leads using co-ax cable to a modem/wifi router within the home. Speeds will vary from 3 - 30Mb depending on supplier. Imagine WiMax ranges from 3-10Mb while Digiweb Metro ranges from 5 - 30Mb. Not sure on Imagines data allowance but Digiweb has up to a 100GB monthly rolling allowance depending on the package. Check out either http://www.imagine.ie or http://www.digiweb.ie for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Hi,

I'm going to look at houses in Seabrook, Rush this week.

Can anyone let me know what the broadband coverage / availability is like in this area please? I've tried checking on the Eircom and UPC sites but can't find out about that exact estate.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I'm looking at places in Rathfarnham at the moment - Butterfield Avenue.

The property has UPC. Is UPC the clear choice? If I end up going for the property should I even consider any supplier other than UPC?

Generally wouldn't be a massive user. I do use streaming services such as Spotify and Google Play and Netflix etc... So consistency is important. I probably use 50GB a month perhaps slightly more some months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm looking at places in Rathfarnham at the moment - Butterfield Avenue.

The property has UPC. Is UPC the clear choice? If I end up going for the property should I even consider any supplier other than UPC?

Generally wouldn't be a massive user. I do use streaming services such as Spotify and Google Play and Netflix etc... So consistency is important. I probably use 50GB a month perhaps slightly more some months.
    http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/ €25 for six months and €37 thereafter, and the possibility to haggle downwards if they change the contract.

The main thing with UPC is that you pretty much get the advertised speed a lot of the time. 50Mb / unlimited cap is fast enough, it's about the most you'll get with wifi anyway. Still waiting to try the Horizon app on my smartphone.

efibre is faster for uploading,

Different providers block different things, I can't ftp on UPC , might be the router. Historically UPC have been pretty lenient if you go over your cap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/ €25 for six months and €37 thereafter, and the possibility to haggle downwards if they change the contract.

The main thing with UPC is that you pretty much get the advertised speed a lot of the time. 50Mb / unlimited cap is fast enough, it's about the most you'll get with wifi anyway. Still waiting to try the Horizon app on my smartphone.

efibre is faster for uploading,

Different providers block different things, I can't ftp on UPC , might be the router. Historically UPC have been pretty lenient if you go over your cap.

Thanks. Upload won't be a huge issue with me once it's a reasonable speed.

I see a couple of threads about drops out etc... That would be the only thing that worries me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm with imagine broadband in a very rural area of south Cavan and I'm looking to change providers due to congestion issues. The options open to us are: return to eircom who offer their 7meg congested package which we left before due to it being too slow (we're over 3km from the exchange), ripplecom, or a local company called Arden broadband.

We don't need huge speeds 2-3 meg would be fine, but I want it to be reliable in the evenings. Any ideas on what would be best for us. In relation to Arden is there anyone here with them?

Advertisement