Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi,

I'm asking for a friend who's moving into Richmond Road and want to get the best provider. They've had problems with Eircom so would prefer to go with someone else. Is anybody using Sky in this area? If so what is it like?

Hi

If UPC is available then that's the way to go, If that's not an option and you don't want Eircom then there is Magnet or Metro from Digiweb (A fixed wireless option with speeds up to 30MB).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

So I have eventually ditched Imagine (quite a battle as it happens) and now I need to find another BB provider. I'm budgeting up to 45 euro and only want the BB.

I had UPC before so there is definitely a line into the house. Their customer service was dreadful at the time and they couldn't fix a problem for me so I left. I'm a bit reluctant to go back but I will if its the best option.

I like the look of Magnet but I have never had a telephone line here and I don't know if there is one coming to the house or not. There certainly isn't a connection point. Is there anyway to check?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Just a quick question. How can I find out if I have ADSL or ADSL 2, or whatever? Is there any site that can tell me this and if I am on a LLU exchange.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Just a quick question. How can I find out if I have ADSL or ADSL 2, or whatever? Is there any site that can tell me this and if I am on a LLU exchange.?

yes http://irelandoffline.org/2013/01/broadband-overview/
    Click on My broadband options and other information

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Could anyone suggest some providers in South Clare/North Kerry? The property in question is in Clare with clear views of Tarbert and Moneypoint power stations along with the Kerry mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brennra

Could anyone suggest a good internet provider in the Ringsend area?
    I was talking to UPC yesterday and it isnt available where I am living which is a pain!

Would sky be the next best?
    We have a tv package with Sky and can add it on.
    Also how long would it take to get all set up?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mooremachine

Hi I live in Arklow south my connection sucks and far as I can tell fibre here is jus a myth in the distance anyone know if digiweb any good down here
    Thanks in advance

Hi I live in Arklow south my connection sucks and far as I can tell fibre here is jus a myth in the distance anyone know if digiweb any good down here
    Thanks in advance

Hi

Arklow is showing on the Eircom eFibre map as being already fibre enabled. So check your phone number to see if this is available.

If however it is not then there is Digiweb's fixed wireless service Metro, which is available in Arklow. I have it here in Naas and apart from a few issues over the last couple of years I have found it to be fairly reliable. I am on the 30MB Metro Express with talk anytime package @ €49.95pm (€29.95 for the first 3 months for new connections or upgrades) and my connection is usually ranges between 27-29.5MB. However with Digiweb there are caps in place on all services with Metro Express being 100GB. So this may or may not be an issue for you.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mooremachine

Thanks for the info cunnijo

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Bomber6 wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest some providers in South Clare/North Kerry? The property in question is in Clare with clear views of Tarbert and Moneypoint power stations along with the Kerry mountains.

I use digi web but its not cheap at 40 euro a month and a strict 10GB a month download allowance. When it works is super fast but once you use the allowance its worse than an mobil stick.
    Look in to Rural broadband and permaNET my no2 and no3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Hey all,

My folks are based in rural South Tipp and are looking to replace Eircom as their broadband provider due to the poor cost/speed ratio they're getting (sub 1Mb). I've looked around and based on what I can see the only two providers in the area who provide alternative coverage are Premier Broadband/Alphawave Communications (seems to be the same group) and Munster Broadband, both of whom offer a 3Mb service for €35.

Does anyone have any experience with either group/can recommend one over the other? Munster offer a 1Mb upload vs 384kb for Premier/Alphawave but Premier/Alphawave has an unlimited/fair use limit compared to nothing I can see for Munster.

Thanks,
    Zeit

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ripplecom also offer coverage in South Tipp so you may want to check them out too

Also after some more research these companies provide coverage too:

http://www.celticbroadband.ie/packages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Just checked the coverage, doesn't reach us unfortunately, though it seems to have a little tiny coverage area a few hundred meters east of us oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PoniesRGr8

Hi, I just moved into an apartment at Ath Lethan on Racecourse Rd. in Dundalk, and am searching for a provider of unlimited Internet access.

WiMax has told me that they cannot install anything because I am in an apartment, and it is their policy not to install things on apartments, only in houses. I was also told that broadband service will not work at all in this local exchange, and that I will need to do either wireless or satellite service. Vodaphone told me that they may be able to install something, but it would require putting in a new line, and I am waiting for them to schedule an appointment for that. I talked to Sky as well, because there is already a Sky satellite TV box on the premises, but was told that the line in the apartment complex is too weak to handle the Sky broadband service

I spoke to Vodaphone before I was told that broadband services are not available for this local exchange, so I called Vodaphone back to cancel making an appointment with them but I was urged to keep it because they said they may be able to give me service, and there would be no fee to me if they were to come out and verify. Net1 has also told me that they may be able to install service, but I won't know anything until one of their engineers can come to my apartment and check.

I'm using a Meteor pay as you go plan for Internet at the moment, but really need something more robust because I am a writer and on the Internet from between 10-12 hours a day for writing purposes.

Is anyone here living near me and getting unlimited Internet from a provider? Any information you have would be much appreciated. I moved here from the States and tried to do as much research as I could before coming here, but doing research and actually being here are two very different things :D

PoniesRGr8 wrote: »
    Hi, I just moved into an apartment at Ath Lethan on Racecourse Rd. in Dundalk, and am searching for a provider of unlimited Internet access.

Your exchange is NOT enabled for DSL so none of the resellers will be able to provide broadband (voda,eircom,sky and so on)

One possible solution is net1 http://www.net1.ie/ , have a chat with them and see if they can do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi,
    Glasnevin, Dublin 9. Have eircom which is really bad, keeps dropping signal its almost unusable (got told before we are between two satellites and keep bouncing between both which is causing poor signal, not sure how true it is).
    Looking for a new provider with decent speeds and unlimited use - use it for work, streaming and online poker.

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Glasnevin, Dublin 9. Have eircom which is really bad, keeps dropping signal its almost unusable (got told before we are between two satellites and keep bouncing between both which is causing poor signal, not sure how true it is).
    Looking for a new provider with decent speeds and unlimited use - use it for work, streaming and online poker.

That sounds like utter bollox to me, DSL doesn't use satellites:)

VDSL (eFibre) should be coming soon perhaps in a year or so so you could wait:)

Otherwise UPC is probably your best bet for now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What options do I have for line rental and ADSL in North Dublin? (would prefer landline rather than a mobile connection and I can't get UPC)

From reading other posts, the options seem to be:

Vodafone
    Smart Telecom
    Eircom

any others? Cheers!

mrcheez wrote: »
    What options do I have for line rental and ADSL in North Dublin? (would prefer landline rather than a mobile connection and I can't get UPC)

From reading other posts, the options seem to be:

Vodafone
    Smart Telecom
    Eircom

any others? Cheers!

A lot will depend on where in north Dublin you live in, as there is alternatives to having a landline and ADSL. This comes in the form of fixed wireless (not mobile), which can offer speeds up to 30Mb down 1Mb up along with phone services. Companies like Imagine (Wimax) and Digiweb (Metro) are just 2.

cunnijo wrote: »
    A lot will depend on where in north Dublin you live in, as there is alternatives to having a landline and ADSL. This comes in the form of fixed wireless (not mobile), which can offer speeds up to 30Mb down 1Mb up along with phone services. Companies like Imagine (Wimax) and Digiweb (Metro) are just 2.

Afaik i can't get WiMax, but I'll investigate Metro. The Sky deal is adsl as well right?

EDIT: Incidentally I'm 2.3km (line of sight) from the nearest exchange. I chatted to Digiweb and ADSL is my only option. The girl reckoned I could get approx between 6mb and 15mb download. Reckon this sounds about right? Would mobile be faster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 PoniesRGr8

bealtine wrote: »
    Your exchange is NOT enabled for DSL so none of the resellers will be able to provide broadband (voda,eircom,sky and so on)

One possible solution is net1 http://www.net1.ie/ , have a chat with them and see if they can do anything

Thanks for the response! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

I was approached by a UPC rep today while shopping and he tried to get me to sign up for their fibre optic service.

We have Sky, so it's just broadband and a landline that we need. It sounds like a good deal with reduced charges for the first 6 months, no installation fee and a €50 voucher with the retailer. We have been with Eircom for the last couple of years and have no particular problem with them, but this sounds like a better deal and a much faster connection.

Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of? I gave the rep my address and he confirmed that it is wired for fibre optic. We have Eircom phone watch, but I assume this will not be affected by a change in telephone provider.

One question I forgot to ask is whether we will get the new customer discount as we were TV customers of UPC until a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

abff wrote: »
    I was approached by a UPC rep today while shopping and he tried to get me to sign up for their fibre optic service......

Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of? I gave the rep my address and he confirmed that it is wired for fibre optic....
    I would independently check the fire option. UPC are wuick to make claims. My apt complex does not have access to UPC yet over the last 3 years we have gotten offered connection at least twice, other residents have similar experience.

On another note I had a very pleasant experience last week with Eircom. I ordered Sky (same speed as current plan...4mb) as they were cheaper than my current Eircom BB/phone plan. Called Eircom to sort out the contract end stuff.....got told that eFibre was now in my area. 4 days later all connected up for the same as my existing plan. Now got 45mb average. Sky modem was delivered the following day....

abff wrote: »
    I was approached by a UPC rep today while shopping and he tried to get me to sign up for their fibre optic service.

We have Sky, so it's just broadband and a landline that we need. It sounds like a good deal with reduced charges for the first 6 months, no installation fee and a €50 voucher with the retailer. We have been with Eircom for the last couple of years and have no particular problem with them, but this sounds like a better deal and a much faster connection.

Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of? I gave the rep my address and he confirmed that it is wired for fibre optic. We have Eircom phone watch, but I assume this will not be affected by a change in telephone provider.

One question I forgot to ask is whether we will get the new customer discount as we were TV customers of UPC until a couple of years ago.

Hi

While UPC is good and there is no line rental as against Eircom there is one pitfall. You mention you have phonewatch. This does not work with UPC. If you decide to go to UPC then you will have to get the GSM module installed at a cost of around €150.00 by a phonewatch engineer.

As you say you are with Eircom and have had no issues with them firstly check if eFibre is available to you and if so check with them regarding phonewatch compatability before committing to UPC.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Hi guys,

Just moved into a new place on the Navan Road in Dunboyne (about 200m out of the village and before the turn into the Meadows estates). There's a UPC box on the wall so assumed that it was all good to go but when I talked to UPC they said that the only service they offer in my area is "aerial TV".

Anybody know what my options are for internet access, not sure if there's a landline connection or not

not sure if there's a landline connection or not

Is there a phone socket anywhere in the house? If not you might need to get a line installed.

Alternatively you might be able to get fixed wireless (e.g. Imagine WiMax).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is there a phone socket anywhere in the house? If not you might need to get a line installed.

Yep, there's a phone socket there so I guess I'm going to go with Sky or Eircom? I'd assume the connection speed is limited by the line so there won't be much to choose between suppliers?

Yep, there's a phone socket there so I guess I'm going to go with Sky or Eircom? I'd assume the connection speed is limited by the line so there won't be much to choose between suppliers?

I'm actually looking for an ADSL provider myself this week and posted a thread about it which you might find handy.

Seems Smart (now owned by Digiweb) have the best package at the moment, plus their online chat is great if you have any questions.

They'll set you up with a phone number (activating the line if required), give you a free modem (vodafone charge for this), 350Gb monthly download, up to 24Mb download speed, plus (and this is a MAJOR factor) their support staff seem to be very good and easy to reach.

€29.95... nae bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

Hi all,

I've recently moved out of Carlow town to a place called Killeen and am wondering about my broadband options. From talking to locals it seems satellite broadband is all that they can get. I don't have an eircom phone line yet and even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to get theirs.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with Aptus Broadband? There aren't many reviews that I can find online but they seem to be one of my best options if they provide the service they say they do.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Avoid satellite if poss. Aptus are a fixed wireless provider - which in itself is a good way of delivering rural broadband.

Advertisement