Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

Hi Folks.

I currently have 24mb with Eircom which costs 60 per month (with off peak calls). On speed tests I get 18mb at best which is fine with me.

The problem I've had is the zyxel p660 router, its a disaster! I can only get broadband in one room of the house, anywhere else my phone goes to 3G and laptop gets no signal. I've spoken to Eircom about it 3 times in the last year. The first two times they said that the zyxel router doesn't have a good range but its the only router they offer for a 24mb line so thats just the way it is.

I signed up to the contract before Sky was available in my area (Bettystown, Co. Meath). Sky is 40 for the same package and I've heard their router is very good (half price for 3 months too).

I rang Eircom today to give 30 days notice that I didn't want to renew, however they said they have a new "standard" router for all customers that they will deliver to me tomorrow, which has a much better range, and that I can have the same package with maximum speed for 35 a month instead of 60. I rang the tech department and they told me this is a zyxel d-1000.

Eircom say fibre is coming to my area soon and that I'll be upgraded for free when it does. However, their service hasn't been great and its frustrating to be able to see full signals for all my neighbours routers upstairs in my house but not see my own router.

So should I stay or should I go?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

ogy wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

I currently have 24mb with Eircom which costs 60 per month (with off peak calls). On speed tests I get 18mb at best which is fine with me.

The problem I've had is the zyxel p660 router, its a disaster! I can only get broadband in one room of the house, anywhere else my phone goes to 3G and laptop gets no signal. I've spoken to Eircom about it 3 times in the last year. The first two times they said that the zyxel router doesn't have a good range but its the only router they offer for a 24mb line so thats just the way it is.

I signed up to the contract before Sky was available in my area (Bettystown, Co. Meath). Sky is 40 for the same package and I've heard their router is very good (half price for 3 months too).

I rang Eircom today to give 30 days notice that I didn't want to renew, however they said they have a new "standard" router for all customers that they will deliver to me tomorrow, which has a much better range, and that I can have the same package with maximum speed for 35 a month instead of 60. I rang the tech department and they told me this is a zyxel d-1000.

Eircom say fibre is coming to my area soon and that I'll be upgraded for free when it does. However, their service hasn't been great and its frustrating to be able to see full signals for all my neighbours routers upstairs in my house but not see my own router.

Hi

You should stay with Eircom especially when they are reducing your price to €35 along with the free upgrade to Fibre when it comes available in your area. As for the router in the meantime you could buy a good quality ADSL model with a far better wifi signal and connect it to your phoneline. All you will need is the network settings from the Eircom website.

Regards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ogy wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

The problem I've had is the zyxel p660 router, its a disaster!...........

I would say stay. I too had issues with my Eircom supplied Zyxel piece of crap. Had to be reset at least once a day. Lucky as I am in an apartment only 1 room had back WI-Fi cover.

I could have bought a new router but I am a stubborn fecker.

I signed up to Sky as they were the same speed at a small discount, crucially there router is a lot better.

However 2 weeks ago I called Eircom to check on eFibre progress. I was hooked up to fibre BB (45mb's) and a new router within 5 days. No extra charge either. Sky are only trialing fibre BB in the Dundrum area atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p15353

Hi there

I am with Onwave (unlimited package) and over past few months the download rate has crawled particularly in the evenings. This evening, i downloaded printer software of 139MB and it took over 2hours.

I know this is probably a Tooway problem with too many subscribers on each satellite beam. So, questin is, is there any other satellite providers other than Tooway that I can use?

Thanks a lot

p15353

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fjk49er

I'm live centrally in Wexford Town. I contacted Carnesore Broadband but do not have 'line of sight' to their mast, have previously had Imagine WiMax (two years ago) and didn't like them. I am currently tethering wifi from my phone which gets me by but really isn't sustainable long term. I think my best option is a landline provider with eircom, sky and vodafone being the ones that jump out at me. I have no interest whatsoever in a TV package add on, and no interest in a landline phone. I do not currently have a landline. I want good speeds with no download limits without having to pay a fortune. Which is my best option, who do people recommend? Anyone in this area that Sky/Vodafone/Eircom that can tell me their experiences with them? What kind of speeds are you getting? What kind of service are you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Avoid satellite if poss. Aptus are a fixed wireless provider - which in itself is a good way of delivering rural broadband.
    Aptus? Their Carlow only I believe, my friends have them as they live up a hill and can't get a landline in. They had 5/1 but recently got upgraded to 6/1 for free. It's very good besides the shītty usage limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 glenbelt

Hi guys,

Would appreciate some advice on broadband.

I've been looking for getting broadband installed in my apartment. I'm renting in Rathmines but my apartment doesn't have a line installed, but UPC is in the building (just not routed into my room).
    I was in the process of signing up to Magnet (24 mbs as the fastest wasn't available in my place) as I like the fact that it's not a 12 month contract, just a rolling monthly one (I'm not too sure how long I'll be in Dublin for).
    Also I wanted to get a TV package because there isn't anything in the apartment currently. I was going to pay for Magnet's Air TV (don't know if this is any good or not?) Would love to watch football and movies, was just going to sign up to Netflix (Lovefilm doesn't seem to be available here?).

One of my problems is that the landlord isn't too keen on having someone come in and install the line into the apartment and doing a dodgy job. Magnet have told me it would be an Eircom engineer, but all they know is that they'll come between 1pm and 5pm. My landlord wanted to supervise the job to ensure it was done to a satisfactory standard but he doesn't live on site and I doubt he fancied waiting around all day for the engineer to turn up.
    Anyone got any experience of Magnet installing, any idea if they'd do a decent job or not, guess it depends on the engineer they send out..

Thanks for any help, would be great if anyone who's used Magnet can provide some feedback!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 substanceg

PoniesRGr8 wrote: »
    Hi, I just moved into an apartment at Ath Lethan on Racecourse Rd. in Dundalk, and am searching for a provider of unlimited Internet access.

WiMax has told me that they cannot install anything because I am in an apartment, and it is their policy not to install things on apartments, only in houses. I was also told that broadband service will not work at all in this local exchange, and that I will need to do either wireless or satellite service. Vodaphone told me that they may be able to install something, but it would require putting in a new line, and I am waiting for them to schedule an appointment for that. I talked to Sky as well, because there is already a Sky satellite TV box on the premises, but was told that the line in the apartment complex is too weak to handle the Sky broadband service

I spoke to Vodaphone before I was told that broadband services are not available for this local exchange, so I called Vodaphone back to cancel making an appointment with them but I was urged to keep it because they said they may be able to give me service, and there would be no fee to me if they were to come out and verify. Net1 has also told me that they may be able to install service, but I won't know anything until one of their engineers can come to my apartment and check.

I'm using a Meteor pay as you go plan for Internet at the moment, but really need something more robust because I am a writer and on the Internet from between 10-12 hours a day for writing purposes.

Is anyone here living near me and getting unlimited Internet from a provider? Any information you have would be much appreciated. I moved here from the States and tried to do as much research as I could before coming here, but doing research and actually being here are two very different things :D

I'm moving to the area myself next week.

Did you have any luck with a provider?

I'm a bit worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

HI all, general availability query here. Does Burncourt in Tipperary get broadband (not mobile broadband, regular broadband)? If so, what speeds are to be expected? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

r3nu4l wrote: »
    HI all, general availability query here. Does Burncourt in Tipperary get broadband (not mobile broadband, regular broadband)? If so, what speeds are to be expected? Thanks.

The exchange there is NOT enabled for DSL so your only option is wireless:

Solar bb
    Airwave bb
    Munster bb

There maybe others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the info bealtine

Just had a look at those options :(

Christ on a bike but they are all very slow speeds and highly overpriced :(
    No way would I ever consider living somewhere with speeds like that but I suppose some people are stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Hi guys!

I've just moved in to a house on Lucky Lane in Stoneybatter. I see, from the Fiber Rollout Mapping thread that our exchange (just down the road, CAB1_007) has Fibre enabled.
    I was wondering, if we joined Sky Broadband (which as far as we can tell piggybacks of Eircom's network) would we get these full fibre speeds, or is Vodafone or Eircom the only way to get them? Sadly we can't get UPC, which would be my first choice.

Also, has anybody tried any of these services around Stoneybatter?

Thanks!

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I've just moved in to a house on Lucky Lane in Stoneybatter. I see, from the Fiber Rollout Mapping thread that our exchange (just down the road, CAB1_007) has Fibre enabled.
    I was wondering, if we joined Sky Broadband (which as far as we can tell piggybacks of Eircom's network) would we get these full fibre speeds, or is Vodafone or Eircom the only way to get them?

Sky still seem to be "messing about" with their launch of "sky Fibre" which is just re-sold eircom VDSL (sounds like a commercial disagreement or basic incompetence to me) so I fail to see what their problem is...so no Sky can't supply VDSL at this time.

So at this time only Voda or eircom can supply.

Also around Stoneybatter you should be able to get UPC broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

bealtine wrote: »
    Sky still seem to be "messing about" with their launch of "sky Fibre" which is just re-sold eircom VDSL (sounds like a commercial disagreement or basic incompetence to me) so I fail to see what their problem is...so no Sky can't supply VDSL at this time.

So at this time only Voda or eircom can supply.

Also around Stoneybatter you should be able to get UPC broadband.

That's good info. Thanks!

I'll take a look at the Voda offers.

As for UPC, I wish we could, but our houses were built very recently and don't have a UPC inlet built in. A week ago today UPC promised to check to see if they could put a line in, but haven't gotten back to me, and in the meantime our Landlord has said he wouldn't be happy with a line being put in. I wish we could get UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Right I will not go into it, but having a lot of issues with Magnet, and it has only been a few weeks with them, I am looking to change from them, but I do not want to be on a contract if possible, it was one of the reasons I went with them, and the 4 gig cap is just woeful in this day and age. I have a job ending early next year and will more than likely be heading abroad after that, so is there any other providers out there that offer no contracts or at least do not crucify you if you cancel your contract with them, would be needing Fibre also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Hi all,
    I've moved into a new apartment in Oranmore and called to get Vodafone fibre installed. Vodafone have to install a line, then put broadband on the line.I was told it could take anything up to 25 working days.
    As they are using Eircom engineers I assume it may be quicker to go with them.
    From your experience here., would I be getting a faster connection with Eircom as they are telling me I'll have a dedicated line etc and no contention.
    Thanks in advance

Nikond800 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've moved into a new apartment in Oranmore and called to get Vodafone fibre installed. Vodafone have to install a line, then put broadband on the line.I was told it could take anything up to 25 working days.
    As they are using Eircom engineers I assume it may be quicker to go with them.
    From your experience here., would I be getting a faster connection with Eircom as they are telling me I'll have a dedicated line etc and no contention.
    Thanks in advance

Switched to Vodafone on Tuesday, got told the same thing, but he said that it usually happens a lot quicker, said it should be up and running in about 5-7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

Thanks Xenji.
    Called Eircom and they said it will take 15 days also. Just wondering which service provider will give me the fastest speeds.My estate has a lot of houses ans I'm near the back so I'm worried I'll be getting a line that's heavily congested.

Nikond800 wrote: »
    Thanks Xenji.
    Called Eircom and they said it will take 15 days also. Just wondering which service provider will give me the fastest speeds.My estate has a lot of houses ans I'm near the back so I'm worried I'll be getting a line that's heavily congested.

If you are on the 70MB plan with Vodafone it really depends more on how far you are away from where the fiber cab is, congestion will not be much of a problem, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭marilynmonroe

Ive just cancelled my vodafone mobile broadband due to constantly going over my limit so im looking for a new provider.
    Im in Dundalk and dont have an active phone line but there was a line here with previous owners.
    Upc is not available to me so im looking for the next best option. Any ideas? Should i be steering clear of Imagine wimax?
    Thanks and please give me an answer in simple terms!! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm looking for options for pay as you go broadband outside of Vodafone, O2 or 3 mobile (as they have no coverage where needed. near Ballycastle, Mayo).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    No phone line in house.

paulbok wrote: »
    I'm looking for options for pay as you go broadband outside of Vodafone, O2 or 3 mobile (as they have no coverage where needed. near Ballycastle, Mayo).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    No phone line in house.

Well then your only choice is probably Westnet (http://www.westnet.ie/)

bealtine wrote: »
    Well then your only choice is probably Westnet (http://www.westnet.ie/)

Is that not bill pay? trying to avoid that if possible as it's a relations holiday home.

edit. Their coverage map doesn't look promising either:(

Is that not bill pay?

yes but you excluded everything else

there are other bill options such as 3's national broadband scheme, was hoping for a pay as you go option.
    Oh well, will have let them know.

there are other bill options such as 3's national broadband scheme, was hoping for a pay as you go option.
    Oh well, will have let them know.

umm if you have no coverage now what makes you think you'll get the NBS? After all it's just the normal 3 service
    They'll just give you a crappy satellite solution something to avoid at all costs

umm, just going by their coverage maps. NBS shows coverage, normal service doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

I currently have Vodafone mobile broadband (the upgraded plan @ €24.99pm) and am considering moving to another provider. I do not have an active landline nor do I have a TV subscription. Ideally I'd like to have no download limits and not pay more than €35 - €40 per month. I'm in Athlone. Anyone with any ideas?

As an aside, if I moved to Sky or UPC would I need to get a line installed and pay a line rental charge?

Thanks,
    Glen

umm, just going by their coverage maps. NBS shows coverage, normal service doesn't.

ehh umm the NBS is just the normal 3 service repackaged

• Advertisement

glen25 wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like to have no download limits and not pay more than €35 - €40 per month. I'm in Athlone. Anyone with any ideas?

As an aside, if I moved to Sky or UPC would I need to get a line installed and pay a line rental charge?

You won't find any mobile provider that has anything remotely like "unlimited", they all have very low limits, that's the nature of mobile "broadband"...

With Sky you'll need a landline and pay line rental.

With UPC (assuming you can get it) they use co-ax cable so no line rental as such but they do charge a sort of line rental.

Advertisement