Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Tuesday
    In Belfast for a few days visiting relations. Brought the bike with me and cycled down to Stranmillis and ran along the Lagan Towpath. If only we had a trail like that in Dublin! Will have to go back and do a LSR along it sometime as it goes all the way to Lisburn.

Distance: 3.5 miles
    Time: 30:52
    Pace: 8:49min/mile
    Climb: 19m
    HR: 175bpm
    Garmin Link

Wednesday
    Went out to Holywood (Co. Down) and ran along the walkway on the shore of Belfast Lough. Great views of the city there.

Distance: 1.99 miles
    Time: 17:13
    Pace: 8:59min/mile
    Climb: 3m
    HR: 172bpm
    Garmin Link

Friday

Back in Dublin briefly. 3.5 miles around the Equator Fifteen Acres. I'm not a warm-weather runner :o

Distance: 3.5 miles
    Time: 32:24
    Pace: 9:14min/mile
    Climb: 30m
    HR: 179bpm
    Garmin Link

Saturday

5 miles "LSR" back in Spiddal. Went up a bog road called An Criarach. Not a house to be seen for at least two miles around! Could see the whole of Galway Bay, from near the city to the tip of Inis Mór. I'm disappointed the bog roads don't go further! Very happy with my HR, much more like my LSRs of the Spring.

Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 47:26
    Pace: 9:29min/mile
    Climb: 68m
    HR: 158bpm
    Garmin Link

Monday

4 miles up the same bog road in Spiddal in a light rain :D Lovely and cool!

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 34:45
    Pace: 8:40min/mile
    Climb: 53m
    HR: 174bpm
    Garmin Link

Reading the other training logs tonight, I couldn't help but notice the crazy things people say when doing sports :D:
    ronanmac wrote: »
    I got to transition, noticing a clubmate’s bike still beside mine. “He’s either drowned or the swim was better than I thought,” I said to myself, and headed off on the bike.
    Bally8 wrote: »
    First thing hubby said to me was ‘Why did you call me a fupping battard when you passed the wrist thing over?’ I honestly couldn’t remember what I had said and still don’t know why I did!!! He spent his first 3 miles wondering what he had done!

I started my new job a few weeks back so I'm only getting back to normality now. No running unfortunately. There'll be no more midday runs for me in the Phoenix Park which is the biggest downside of not working from home any more :(

I cycled to work 4 days last week and it worked out well. There's a nice shower in the office which no-one else seems to use. I sat down today and spent an hour working out the logistics of doing my marathon training runs to/from work to save money and time :) In a nutshell it will involve running 3 commutes to/from stations along the Dart line and then Darting it the rest of the way, 6 commutes on the bike, and 1 on the bus! I feel I need a good solid plan like this to get me into shape again and this plan is very encouraging!

Anyway here are last week's bike rides.

Monday

Route: Rathmines - Rathfarnham - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines
    Distance: 18.34 miles
    Time: 1:25
    Average Speed: 14.5 miles/hour

Tuesday
    Route: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines
    Distance: 12.3 miles
    Time: 49:48
    Average Speed: 14.8 miles/hour

Thursday
    Route: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines
    Distance: 12.3 miles
    Time: 47:53
    Average Speed: 15.4 miles/hour

Sunday
    Route: Rathmines - Bohernabreena - Rathfarnham - Rathmines
    Distance: 17.12 miles
    Time: 1:15:15
    Average Speed: 13.8 miles/hour

• Advertisement

Last week's exercise:

Monday
    Cycle from Rathmines to Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.31 miles
    Time: 25:56
    Average Speed: 14.6 mph
    HR: 138bpm

Tuesday
    Run from Sydney Parade to Rathmines

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 26:56
    Pace: 8:58min/mile
    Climb: 16m

Wednesday
    Run from Rathmines to Sydney Parade

Distance: 2.78 miles
    Time: 24:48
    Pace: 8:54min/mile
    Climb: 0m

Cycle from Dún Laoghaire to Donnybrook

Distance: 4.71 miles
    Time: 21:13
    Average Speed: 13.3 mph
    HR: 148bpm

Thursday
    Distance: 2.99 miles
    Time: 26:52
    Pace: 8:59min/mile
    HR: 176bpm

I didn't do as much cycling as I had hoped on account of the rain. :o
    I didn't do an LSR on account of laziness :o:o

But getting back into a routine wasn't as hard as I had thought :)

Day 1 of my Marathon Plan :D Last week worked out ok so I'm going to continue with my plan of mixing my training with commuting. I'm surprised how flexible I feel after my first proper week back. Maybe it's the cycling that's keeping the muscle stiffness at bay!

Monday

Distance: 6.44 miles
    Time: 26:15
    Average Speed: 14.7 mph
    HR: 156bpm

Tuesday

Distance: 2.92 miles
    Time: 26:13
    Pace: 8:57min/mile
    HR: 161bpm

Cycle from Dún Laoghaire to Rathmines

Distance: 6.03 miles
    Time: 26:11
    Average Speed: 13.8 mph
    HR: 148bpm

Wednesday

Distance: 6.38 miles
    Time: 26:23
    Average Speed: 14.5 mph
    HR: 139bpm

Time: 26:15
    Pace: 8:45min/mile
    HR: 173bpm

I managed to pick up an injury on my way home: a bee-sting in my nostril :confused: WTF?! Nearly broke my nose slapping the bee away :o

Thursday

Time: 25:44
    Pace: 8:35min/mile

Distance: 6.45 miles
    Time: 27:12
    Average Speed: 14.2 mph

So far so good! Just realised I'm going to miss the Race Series Irish Runner 5-mile as I'll be in Galway. Looking for other races up to 10km in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looking for other races up to 10km in July.

There's a 10k in Parwest the week after the 5 miler http://www.parkwest10k.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Good luck with the marathon plan Micilin, that'll be my next target i think sometime next year:D

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a 10k in Parwest the week after the 5 miler http://www.parkwest10k.com/

Thanks menoscemo! I had a look at that and I'll be away in Belfast that weekend. I'll be away most weekends in July so I might do a mid-week race instead. Thinking of the Dublin City Council 5km race now.
    backspacer wrote: »
    Good luck with the marathon plan Micilin, that'll be my next target i think sometime next year:D

Thank you! I think you're being very sensible waiting until next year to run a marathon. Not that you wouldn't be able to do it, but I hear it's good to get more miles in your legs before attempting it. Might see you at the Galway Bay Half Marathon! Are you running any other races in the Galway area this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Thank you! I think you're being very sensible waiting until next year to run a marathon. Not that you wouldn't be able to do it, but I hear it's good to get more miles in your legs before attempting it. Might see you at the Galway Bay Half Marathon! Are you running any other races in the Galway area this summer?

I'm thinking about doing the streets oF galway in August, think there's a 10k planned for carna as well this year so am hoping to do those two at least. The half marathon should be an eye opener for me, but totally crazy considering this time last year i wouldn't be able to run across the road.But all things considered i'd be happy to get some serious mileage in before i'd even consider a full marathon.

Thanks menoscemo! I had a look at that and I'll be away in Belfast that weekend. I'll be away most weekends in July so I might do a mid-week race instead. Thinking of the Dublin City Council 5km race now.

I'd be interested in hearing about that. Is that a BHAA race?

backspacer wrote: »
    I'm thinking about doing the streets oF galway in August, think there's a 10k planned for carna as well this year so am hoping to do those two at least. The half marathon should be an eye opener for me, but totally crazy considering this time last year i wouldn't be able to run across the road.But all things considered i'd be happy to get some serious mileage in before i'd even consider a full marathon.

Is that the Conamara 10km organised by Rónán? That looks my kind of race, except it's too close to the marathon :mad: Streets of Galway is out too as I'm busy that weekend!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing about that. Is that a BHAA race?

Dublin City Council 5km Irishtown (BHAA)

The course doesn't appeal to me, 2 laps of a running track and 3 laps of Ringsend Park!

I
    The course doesn't appeal to me, 2 laps of a running track and 3 laps of Ringsend Park!

Looks interesting and I'd say it's dead flat. probably a bit early for me though and only 3 days before the 5 miler...

Friday

Cycle: Rathmines - Drumcondra - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Early morning meeting with my college supervisor had me cycling 12 miles before work :) Good news as I got my results and passed :D

Measured my weight today and I'm 5kg heavier than I was on 1st May. Plenty of work ahead of me!

Distance: 19.69 miles
    Time: 1:27:47
    Average Speed: 14.4 mph
    HR: 150bpm

Sunday

Run: Phoenix Park

My brother was running 17 miles today so I ran 6 of them with him in the Park and cycled a few more beside him.

I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon plan and my brother said I might be able for the Novice 2. I want to take it easy and not get injured, but I could have ran more today so I'm not sure if I should change plan or not :confused:

Distance: 6.14 miles
    Time: 57:43
    Pace: 9:24min/mile
    Climb: 53m
    HR: 163bpm

Monday

Cycling: Rathmines to Dún Laoghaire

Left for work at 6.30am. What a lovely time of day for a cycle as there were no muppets on the road! My fastest average speed yet but probably because I broke all the lights. Oh well, nobody saw it happen.

Feeling slightly tired in my legs today but no stiffness.

Distance: 6.41 miles
    Time: 24:12
    Average Speed: 15.9 mph
    HR: 155bpm

Tuesday

Started my run at 6.10, lovely cool rain!

Time: 26:32
    Pace: 8:49min/mile
    HR: 169bpm

Distance: 6.2 miles
    Time: 26:06
    Average Speed: 14.2 mph
    HR: 145bpm

Wednesday

Had to go to the doctor as I burst a blood vessel in my leg :eek: Don't know how it happened but he said not to be worried. Good news is that my heart rate is very good, said I must be very fit :o

Run from Rathfarnham to Rathmines

Time: 27:29
    Pace: 9:09min/mile
    HR: 163bpm

Thursday

Missed my run but drank lots of Guinness instead :D

Friday

Cycle: Rathmines - Rathfarnham - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 18 miles
    Time: 1:25:00

• Advertisement

Monday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Rathmines

Distance: 19.93 miles
    Time: 1:34:07
    Average Speed: 12.7 mph
    HR: 145bpm

Run: Phoenix Park

This was my LSR that I missed yesterday. I really struggled with a very sore knee for about 3 miles in the middle, despite running on the grass. Never thought about giving up though but had time to think about my training for the next few months.

I don't feel ready for a race yet so I'm going to give the 5km BHAA in Irishtown on Wednesday a miss. I think I should focus building up a good base again and maybe start hitting the Dublin Mountains again after work on Wednesdays for my 'sorta-long-run' as Higdon calls it.

So my next race and sub-goal is the Half Marathon in Galway early in September.

Distance: 7 miles
    Time: 1:08:55
    Pace: 9:50min/mile
    Climb: 75m
    HR: 165bpm
    Garmin Link

Tuesday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Just as I was coming home, my chain and rear derailleur folded in on itself. I might be buying a new bike when pay-day comes next week :) . No more cycling until then!

Distance: 12.42 miles
    Time: 56:19
    Average Speed: 13.2 mph
    HR: 143bpm

Wednesday

Run: Sydney Parade to Rathmines

Very hot! Even my knees are sweating.

Time: 26:30
    Pace: 8:50min/mile

Thursday

Run: Rathmines to Booterstown

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 36:18
    Pace: 9:04min/mile
    HR: 169bpm

Poor excuse, but I had no bike to cycle to the Phoenix Park to do my LSR. I wasn't going to do an LSR on concrete.

Thursday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Got my bike fixed instead of buying a new one. It's got a whole new chainset and was well worth the money.

Distance: 6.43 miles
    Time: 26:57
    Average Speed: 14.3 mph
    HR: 155bpm

Friday

Run: Rathmines to Blackrock

I started this run intending to run to Sydney Parade but decided to run further to make up for my lack of exercise in the past week.

Distance: 4.71 miles
    Time: 44:22
    Pace: 9:25min/mile
    HR: 170bpm

Monday

Cycle: Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 13.53 miles
    Time: 55:21
    Average Speed: 14.7 mph
    HR: 154bpm

Run: 15 Acres, Phoenix Park

A lovely run at 6.30am. It was relief to run on grass/trails rather than concrete.

Distance: 3.01 miles
    Time: 28:00
    Pace: 9:18min/mile
    HR: 168bpm

Tuesday

Run: Rathmines - Blackrock

Distance: 5.00 miles
    Time: 46:31
    Pace: 9:18min/mile

Cycle: Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 6.47 miles
    Time: 25:02
    Average Speed: 14.1 mph
    HR: 157bpm

Wednesday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.37 miles
    Time: 24:48
    Average Speed: 14.8 mph
    HR: 153bpm

Run: Sydney Parade - Rathmines

Distance: 3.00 miles or so
    Time: no idea
    Pace:
    HR:

So far I'm happy enough with my training, apart from the week with no bike. Going to Dingle today until Monday and plan on getting plenty of exercise including 10 miles up An Chonair (or Connor Pass in English, a stupid anglicised placename as 'Conair' means 'pass'. May as well live in a place called Ballytown.)

Saturday

Run: Dingle - Connor Pass - Dingle
    Headed up from Dingle to the Connor Pass via Slí Chorca Dhuibhne. Very clear day with lovely views of Dingle Bay, MacGillycuddy's Reeks and Sceilg Mhichíl. The OSI map had a track marked out but I soon lost it. I continued on anyway running in the general direction of the Pass, crossing the river on a few occasions. I gave up on the trail and headed up the side of the valley towards the main road. As soon as I got to the road, I could see the trail clearly :mad:

Took a 10-minute break at the carpark and continued on round the valley to the side of An Cnoc Maol Mór and downhill all the way back to my B&B at sea-level! It's been a long time since I've done a hill run like this and I realised how much I love it, so I've made a commitment to do 2 runs a week in the Dublin Mountains starting this week.

Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 2:02:33
    Pace: 12:15min/mile
    Climb: 518m
    HR: 161bpm
    Garmin Link

Cross-Training: Céilí Dancing

Went to my friends' wedding on Saturday afternoon. Felt very stiff all day after the run so I was glad of the chance to loosen up dancing Ballaí Luimnigh, Shoe the Donkey and Ionsaí na hInse and a few more :D

Tuesday

Run: 15 Acres

Felt extremely stiff at the start of this run because of Saturday's run, but felt great at the end. Finally a run I finished faster than I started!

Time: 28:30
    Pace: 9:30min/mile
    HR: 160bpm

Cycle: Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 19.35 miles
    Time: 1:20:36
    Average Speed: 14.4 mph
    HR: 141bpm

I have my bag packed and my route planned for 5 miles around Two Rock and Three Rock tomorrow after work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Saturday

Run: Dingle - Connor Pass - Dingle

This is as scary a line as I've read in a log for a long time! That's some climb, fair play!

ronanmac wrote: »
    This is as scary a line as I've read in a log for a long time! That's some climb, fair play!

The views were quite distracting so it didn't seem so bad!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Run: Two Rock / Fairy Castle

I did fast walking for some of the climbing as my back was quite sore. The cycle on the way up probably didn't help! My shoes were not up for the job either, must get a pair of trail runners. Very happy with doing 2.5 hours of exercise before starting work at 9.30. Will stick to the main trails next week.

Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 1:05:06
    Pace: 13:01min/mile
    Climb: 291m
    HR: 165bpm
    Garmin Link

Cycle: Rathmines - Glencullen - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 22.12 miles
    Time: 1:39:30
    Average Speed: 13.3 mph
    HR: 150bpm

Dublin Bay at 8am: