Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Thursday

I find swimming difficult! I felt the hip flexor again at the end of the kicking set so I might ease off kicking only for a while (handy excuse!)

Done:
    300m warmup.
    8 x 25m mixed drills
    8x100m (25m build, 25m descend)
    6x25m kicking only
    300m cooldown
    Total: 1750m

Met up with two club mates for a run a short while later. First time doing this loop and it was pretty tough with a mixture of short and steep inclines, plus long drags. Felt like a great workout though, really pushed it on for the second half of the run.

Route: Baile na mBrabhach/Bóthar Buí, Indreabhán
    Distance: 17.5km (10.88 miles)
    Time: 50:28
    Average Pace: 4:38
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (tough but good, nice running in company)
    Weather: Very warm

YESTERDAY:
    Definitely feeling the hip flexor again, not bad but a slight presence. I've a race on Sunday, a duathlon in Boyle on El D's prompting (!), so took it handy enough on the bike. I moved the saddle forward a bit which had an upside (felt like I was getting more power through the pedals) and a downside (sore arse!).

Route: Ros a Mhíl
    Distance: 28.14km
    Time: 54.26
    Average/Max Speed: 31/51.1kph
    Average/Max HR: 150/165
    Personal Exertion: 6
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (hip didn't feel like it was getting any worse)
    Weather: Warm, and into a b*tch of a breeze for the first half

Máirín, myself and the two boys headed off for Boyle nice and early on Sunday, with good weather meaning it would be relatively easy to distract the lads during the actual race itself. We met up with four other club members at race HQ in Lough Key Forest Park, a beautiful race location if there ever was one.

Racking the bike, I met El Director, looking lean and mean after his DIY training camp. I asked him what his race strategy was, he replied: “to keep you in sight during the run, and go for it on the bike.” I interpreted this, correctly as it happens, as “hang on your shoulder for the run, and disappear into the horizon once I get onto the bike.” :D

Run 1
    The start of the run was brutal, a steep hill sucking the life out of you before the race even got going, then down into some lovely forest trails with the air thick with the smell of wild garlic. The last two weeks of decent training were already paying dividends as I was feeling better during this opening 5k than the recent Salthill 5k, and finished just five second off that race despite not pushing as hard.

A quick leap through transition and onto the bike. This was the first race on the new bike, but the opening 2.5km’s were a b*tch, with rough roads, a breeze and an incline, and the bloody chain then came off. I was no sooner off the saddle than El D flew past, and I was passed by another guy shortly after. Eventually, I got up on the main road road, into a stiff easterly breeze but on a nice surface. The first half was uneventful enough, other than watching El D disappear further and further away, and passing the second guy who passed me when the chain came off, as he looked disconsolately at a rear-wheel puncture.

The 10k turnaround point left me with a strong wind at my back and a great upping of bike speed. Shortly after the turnaround, I saw club member PQ coming hard the other direction, making up huge times and I reckoned I would do well to be back at transition without him passing me. By this stage, the saddle felt like it was cutting me up badly and I was in serious discomfort by the time I got off the N4, where I could at least sit up a bit on the sideroad down to transition for some relief. Overall, I was passed four times on the bike, and passed two guys (including punctured guy!). Fortunately, I just made it back ahead of PQ by 10 metres! My biking definitely needs work (you may have heard this before), but on the upside, my average bike time of 32.5kph was higher than previous race.

Run 2
    Off the bike, and into a 2.5km run, up that bloody hill again. I caught one guy and had to put in a bit of spurt to hold off another guy at the end, finishing in 13th overall in 1:07: 44, 2:16 behind El D who made it into the top 10. Fair play El Director, some good racing!

A really enjoyable race, well-organised, and a great venue. Racing on the new bike was interesting and it was good to feel a slight return to form after doing very little for a while back. I’ve things to tweak on the bike, especially the saddle, and I’m hoping that my training programme gets my biking going.
    From a club point of view, it was another good day, with Marie winning the women’s race.

Run 1:
    Distance: 5.04k
    Time: 19:26
    Average Pace: 3:51
    Average/Max HR: 174/181
    Position: 14th

Cycle:
    Distance: 20.04k
    Time: 36:59
    Average Speed: 32.5kph
    Average/Max HR: 166/179
    Average Cadence: 94
    Position: 16th

Run 2
    Distance: 2.55k
    Time: 10:18
    Average Pace: 4:02
    Average/Max HR: 171/175
    Position: 15th

Overall: 13th (7.2% of finishers)

Bike session this morning.

Route: Screebe cross road
    Distance: 35.21km
    Time: 1:09:51
    Average/Max Speed: 30.2/48.2kph
    Average Cadence: 82
    Weather: Cold, blustery, feels like the summer window has been rolled back up :(

A vomiting bug brought home by my evil eldest son has left last week a pretty incomplete one, training-wise.

Friday
    Route: Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 8.12km tempo
    Time: 38:05
    Average Pace: 4:41

Saturday
    AM
    Really suffered this run for some reason, no mental or physical get-go...
    Route: Dóilín, Bóthar an Chillín, Tismeáin
    Distance: 11.27km
    Time: 57.18
    Average Pace: 5:05

PM
    Swim in Loch Chaladh Thadhg. Finally got the Garmin going for the swim. Cold but definitely warmer than two weeks ago.
    Done: 1030 metres in 21:37

Sunday
    Two hour cycle was the prescription, so turned around in Cill Chiaráin after 1:02 hours. Took 1:24 to do the same route back home in a b*tch of a head wind.

Route: Cill Chiaráin
    Distance: 69.41km
    Time: 2:26:01
    Average/Max Speed: 28.5/55.3kph
    Average/Max HR: 138 / 162
    Average Cadence: 84
    Weather: Very windy and one hail shower!

Tuesday
    Spin on the bike around Ros a’Mhíl. Getting used to the tri-bike on cross winds, but it does take getting used to.

Wednesday
    I reckon intervals are the cause of my missing 50 per cent of all the running sessions I miss. I get up, dress, go downstairs, think of the pain, come up with a spurious excuse, make breakfast, too late now… Anyway, it took a bit of effort to get out the door and a heavy rain shower didn’t help early into the run, but the intervals weren’t actually all that bad. 10 x 400m down by Trá an Dóilín, the flattest piece of road in the area!

PM
    Working in Castlebar for the day, so I stopped into the pool on the way home. I’m very aware of any technique I have falling to pieces once I’m tired, but it’s something that will improve.
    Done:
    300m wu
    8 x 25m drills
    5 x 100m
    300m cd

Thursday
    Pool
    300m wu
    8 x 25m drills
    8 x 100 (25m ascend, 25m descend)
    300 cd

First club run this evening, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

A week’s holiday on a cruise ship was as good a reason as any for training to go a bit off-rails (after all, the ship only had a jogging track, a full gym and three pools :o). A bit of a backlog with the log so here goes…

Thursday 12 May
    First club run, started out nice and gentle for the first 2k, a bit of work on an uphill course afterwards.

Route: Spidéal 8k Course
    Distance: 8.95km
    Time: 40:12
    Average Pace: 4:29
    Weather: Cool evening

Friday 13
    Early morning cycle in pissing rain and wind…
    Route: Indreabhán
    Distance: 46.24km
    Time: 1:40:24
    Average/Max Speed: 27.6/50.7kph
    Average/Max HR: 137/160
    Weather: Miserable

Sunday 15
    The boat was setting out from Civitivecchia near Rome, so we overnighted in the Eternal City. We were staying near the Villa Borghese, so I used the park there for a Sunday morning run, and what a run! Getting up to the park involves a bit of a climb but the views of the city were unbelieveable. The park itself was full of monuments, statues, old houses, and hundreds of Roman runners. I kept stopping at various points to look at stuff and so my planned nine miler was shortened to six as I had to be back at the hotel.

Route: Villa Borghese gardens
    Distance: 9.97km
    Time: 50:15
    Average Pace: 5:02
    Ave/Max HR: 142/168
    Weather: Really warm, really nice

Monday 16
    Spinning class aboard the Navigator of the Seas. My first ever spinning session… bloody hell. It’s some way to sweat. There seemed to be a bigger pool of liquid under my bike than was outside around the boat. The session finished as we pulled into Messina harbour in Sicily. Another “unusual” session!
    45 minutes, 24 km approx

Tuesday 17
    Approximately 500 metres in a very small pool onboard the ship.

Wednesday 18
    65 minutes on the stationary bike in the gym of the Navigator of the Seas.
    21km

Thursday 19
    Five miles on the ship’s jogging track, started in Kusadasi port, and finished as the boat pulled out the harbour. Made for an interesting GPS picture!
    1pf1nl.jpg
    Route: Navigator of the Seas running track, Kusadasi port
    Distance: 8.04km
    Time: 37:04
    Average Pace: 4:36
    Ave/Max HR: 156/170
    Weather: Warm

Friday 20
    Open-water swim in Chania, Crete. Lovely warm water, a bit of a swell and yet another swimming wake-up call. I’ll heed the wake up calls any day soon...
    Done: 820m

Saturday 21
    Five miles on the running track on the boat, somewhere mid-Med on the way back from Crete to Rome.

Distance: 8.1km
    Time: 40:16
    Average Pace: 4:58
    Ave/Max HR: 152/163
    Weather: Warm and windy

Sunday 22
    Two and a half hours on the stationary bike in the gym. Sore arse, didn’t feel as tough as a two and a half hour bike session should be.
    Done: 52km

Tuesday
    Back home. Went to the pool and felt the lack of swimming. Cramp in the base of my foot after a while, but managed to rub it away. Was about to start the third length of kicking when a cramp ran through my left calf and seized the leg, having me grab onto the lane rope! I climbed out of the pool with some difficulty and a day later, I’m still feeling the cramp (leaving me to wonder if it is actually cramp?).
    Done:
    300 wu
    8 x 25m mixed drills
    6 x 100m
    9 x 25m sprints
    2 x 25m kicking, before abandoning session
    Total: 1375m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Sounds like a great holiday - I loved Rome - i thought you were going to Croatia or is that another holiday later.

The cramps I have had that before can last a day or two for me so hopefully that is all it is

catweazle wrote: »
    Sounds like a great holiday - I loved Rome - i thought you were going to Croatia or is that another holiday later.

The cramps I have had that before can last a day or two for me so hopefully that is all it is

Going to Croatia at the end of next month, this was a family "excursion" as a 60th birthday present for my mother in law.

Cramp still there, hopefully you're right on it lasting a few days. Finding it hard to get remotivated for training/work/anything post-holidays, and the calf is a handy excuse to take it easy :o. I keep saying to myself "time to HTFU", but then another voice says "perhaps Monday is a better day to HTFU"!

Am signed up for Spiddal 8k on Sunday, no mood whatsoever to do it. Time to cop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Rónán,

An bhfuil Rás an Spidéal déanta agat cheana? Meastú an bhfuil sé in aghaidh ard ag an tús?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Doing some catching up myself, hip flexor eh... I know how that feels. Fair play tipping away on the cruise. I'd have sat on my ass reading with an occasional dip just to cool off. 2.5hrs on a gym bike :eek: Good luck with the 8k at the weekend

• Advertisement

backspacer wrote: »
    Rónán,

An bhfuil Rás an Spidéal déanta agat cheana? Meastú an bhfuil sé in aghaidh ard ag an tús?

No, seo an chéad bhliain den rás. Bhí sé le tosnú in aghaidh ard, ach tá an cúrsa athruithe acu ó shin. Dá réir, beidh sé (ceapaim) cothrom don chéad 1/3ú, cnocach don dara 1/3ú, agus ag dul le fána don chuid deireannach.
    Tá mé dhá rith anocht leis an gclub, cuirfidh mé suas nasc ón Garmin a thabharfaidh léiriú duit ar an gcúrsa.

ronanmac wrote: »
    No, seo an chéad bhliain den rás. Bhí sé le tosnú in aghaidh ard, ach tá an cúrsa athruithe acu ó shin. Dá réir, beidh sé (ceapaim) cothrom don chéad 1/3ú, cnocach don dara 1/3ú, agus ag dul le fána don chuid deireannach.
    Tá mé dhá rith anocht leis an gclub, cuirfidh mé suas nasc ón Garmin a thabharfaidh léiriú duit ar an gcúrsa.

Go raibh maith agat Rónán, bheadh sé sin iontach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Thursday 19
    Five miles on the ship’s jogging track, started in Kusadasi port, and finished as the boat pulled out the harbour. Made for an interesting GPS picture!
    1pf1nl.jpg
    Distance: 8.04km
    Time: 37:04
    Average Pace: 4:36
    Ave/Max HR: 156/170
    Weather: Warm

Great GPS picture :)
    Neil

backspacer wrote: »
    Go raibh maith agat Rónán, bheadh sé sin iontach.

backspacer, nar imigh an cumhacht i mo Garmin agus an cábla fágtha i mo dhiaidh agam ó bhí mé ar saoire :(.
    Ar aon nós, seo an cúrsa mórán mar a bheidh amárach.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/35684230/?open_ive_done=1

Tá an chéad chuid cothrom, ach tá diabhal de chnoc ann ón am go gcasfaidh tú suas Baile an tSagairt (an casadh tar éis 1km). Tá roinnt chnocáin beaga géarra ann, ansin cnocán réasúnta fada go dtí go mbainfidh tú bóthar Mhaigh Cuilinn amach (an casadh ag 4km), agus tar éis beagán eile d'árd, síos le fána ansin. Tá an fána sách sciopaithe in áiteacha, agus sách deacair na scamhóga a choinneál ag imeacht leis an luas!
    Go n-eirí leat amárach, b'fhéidir go bhfeicfinn ann tú!

Battery gone in the Garmin and I can't find the charging cable... beginning to suspect it's left behind a little mirror cabinet in room 2330 on the Navigator of the Seas :(

Thursday
    Club run along the Spiddal 8k course, a tough run with a long 4.5km uphill section against the wind.
    Done: 8.95km in 41 minutes approx

Friday
    Early cycle back to an Trá Bháin and back. Was resigned to heading into the shed and onto the trainer but delighted to get up and find that the wind had eased.
    1:05 time, 39.5 km

Today
    Was on the way into the pool when a friend called and asked if I fancied an open-water swim. Had the wetsuit in the car and had just passed the beach he had mentioned, so game on! Felt cold on the head as usual, and a bit of a chop. Not sure of the distance, I'd guess 800 metres. It felt like I had lost a lot of swim endurance/ability, but Tri Burgh next weekend will be a truer reflection. Looking forward to it and nervous of it at the same time.

Spiddal 8k tomorrow. Nice to have a local run, and my hyper-dependence on my Forerunner could lead to cold turkey tomorrow, running blind for only the second race ever!

backspacer, nar imigh an cumhacht i mo Garmin agus an cábla fágtha i mo dhiaidh agam ó bhí mé ar saoire :(.
    Ar aon nós, seo an cúrsa mórán mar a bheidh amárach.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/35684230/?open_ive_done=1

Tá an chéad chuid cothrom, ach tá diabhal de chnoc ann ón am go gcasfaidh tú suas Baile an tSagairt (an casadh tar éis 1km). Tá roinnt chnocáin beaga géarra ann, ansin cnocán réasúnta fada go dtí go mbainfidh tú bóthar Mhaigh Cuilinn amach (an casadh ag 4km), agus tar éis beagán eile d'árd, síos le fána ansin. Tá an fána sách sciopaithe in áiteacha, agus sách deacair na scamhóga a choinneál ag imeacht leis an luas!
    Go n-eirí leat amárach, b'fhéidir go bhfeicfinn ann tú!

Ronan, go raibh maith agat as ucht sin, cheap mé gurbh é an bóthar sin a bhí ann. Seo é mo chéad 8k, ní fhéadfann ceann níos deacra a phiocadh in ndáiríre. Go n-eireoidh leat amarach agus le cúnamh Dé déanadh mé síos go dtí an deireadh é:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well Rónán, fair play re training on the boat, cool GPS pic too! Best of luck in today's 8k, I'm sure the main feature will be the bloody wind! Looking forward to the report.

It’s a real luxury having a race within 20 minutes of the house, and I was looking forward to the inaugural Rás an Spidéil 8k, especially as there would be a big club turnout there.

Sure enough, I arrived to a whole bunch of familiar faces, Micilín Muc and Backspacer from boards included, and a lot of Aran Island club members that I was meeting for the first time. Registration was straight-forward, and with the likes of Matthew Bidwell on the start line, the race was obviously going to get off to a flyer. It took a few aborted attempts to start the race (“we’re going to count three, two, one, go, and then the race will start, ok? Three, two, one… this is not the actual start now, this is just a test” !!!!!).

Anyway, the race finally started, a bunch of six people tore away, and as is my fashion, I was stuck in no-man’s land between this bunch and another bunch behind me. After a kilometre, the course turned up Baile an tSagairt, a stiff 3 kilometre climb and heavy work all the way. I passed one guy who had dropped off the lead bunch but the others stayed far off in the distance. At the top of Baile an tSagairt, we turned down the Moycullen Road (familiar to those of you who did the bike leg of the Spiddal triathlon), and while I couldn’t see the guy I had passed, there was another bloke (in an Athenry singlet I think) closing fast. The remaining 4k was against the wind but downhill and trying to keep my sixth position was heavy work. With no one anywhere near me in front, I found it difficult to keep a pace going (I find it easier when you have someone in front of you to work off), but coming near the end, some trees gave respite from the wind and all of a sudden, I could hear footsteps ominously close behind. It was hell for leather to the end trying to keep the Athenry man back, and the finish line finally arrived, lungs burning, but glorious sixth place secured! The race was won by Bidwell.

Afterwards, there was coffee and biscuits in the local school, and Marie from the club continued her good season by picking up third woman home. All in all, a tough but enjoyable race, and well-organised.

Done:
    Route: 8k an Spidéil
    Distance: 8km
    Time: 31:35
    Average Pace: 6:20

Sunday Evening
    Headed out for a spin on the bike at around seven that evening, partly to loosen the legs but mostly to loosen the guilt brought on by slack training sessions. Nice spin back to Garmana, Ireland’s fourth largest island (!) and back.

Done
    Time: 1:45, 47.5km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Ronán, 6th place, you must be thrilled. Sounds like a tough course on a windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thats great going Ronan, considering you have had your foot off the gas for the last few weeks. A good impetus to get back on the horse. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great result ! Very very tough to keep the pace going when there is no action in front and you have only the worry about what is happening behind to focus on.

Well done Ronán, 6th place, you must be thrilled. Sounds like a tough course on a windy day.
    Tough course, but the wind wasn't too bad as the only time it was in our faces was for the downhill section
    Macanri wrote: »
    Thats great going Ronan, considering you have had your foot off the gas for the last few weeks. A good impetus to get back on the horse. Fair play.
    "foot off the gas"? I've never been known for putting the foot too heavily on the gas, I'm a classic wussy trainer!
    I suspect Saturday's sprint tri will be a truer reflection of where I am, however...
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Great result ! Very very tough to keep the pace going when there is no action in front and you have only the worry about what is happening behind to focus on.
    Yeah, I'm desperate at that, especially when I didn't have the Garmin to keep me focussed. At least I don't have the worry about ever being out in front on my own :D

Good going on Sunday Ronan, considering it was a tough enough uphill struggle, savage time as well.

Yesterday
    Came home the night before, felt tired, unmotivated and not in the mood to cycle in the rain or wind, so I didn’t. And felt suitably annoyed with myself afterwards.
    AM
    Turbo. 1 hour, with 4 x 3min intervals
    35km

Midday
    Swim
    Done:
    300wu
    8 x 25m drills
    6 x 100m
    2 x 75m all out
    300 cd
    Total: 1550m

PM
    Club run with a few hills thrown in. Short thankfully.
    5km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good going on the 8km race. That garmin gps of you running near Kusadasi port is class, i have enjoyed many an Effes beer around that area as i have a place nearby!!

Good going on the 8km race. That garmin gps of you running near Kusadasi port is class, i have enjoyed many an Effes beer around that area as i have a place nearby!!

Don't worry, the 312 members of the "Boards Kusadasi jackback Villa Training Camp" have already had their AGM and are very much looking forward to our visit come spring!

Saturday

I had been pretty anxious about this race, as although it was not my first triathlon (I had done a sprint in Loughrea last September), it was the first one that I had actually trained for triathlon as opposed to just running.
    A good turnout again in terms of club members, and after racking the bikes, we had a look out at the sea. I was surprised to see the swell, with a north-easterly breeze pushing decent-sized waves into shore. I positioned myself to the right of the pack on the beach, staying out of the way, and reckoning it would be better to stay north of the buoy, if the swell was to have any impact in pushing us south.

SWIM
    The race started, into the surf and the water is definitely warming up. Despite the surge, the visibility was very good. Making progress felt like tough work, though, and breathing to the left or the right seemed to make little difference in terms of avoiding mouthfuls of delicious salt water. Sighting was worse, though. Anytime I stuck my head up, all I could see was the next wave hitting me in the gob. At this stage, I was getting a bit mentally weak, and swearing to myself about triathlon, how it would be much more straightforward to stick with running/duathlon/anything that didn’t exploit the fact that I was really beginning to dislike swimming more and more by every stroke.
    Anyway, we came to the buoy and things improved! The mental b*tching eased off as the waves helped push me to shore and get a smoother stroke going. Sighting wasn’t improving much, though, as my goggles were fogging up badly, bar a strip at the bottom of the lens. I began to get worried, as there seemed to be nobody around me and I was beginning to suspect a repeat of Loughrea, coming out of the water as a backmarker.
    The beach finally arrived, and I got to transition, noticing a clubmate’s bike still beside mine. “He’s either drowned or the swim was better than I thought,” I said to myself, and headed off on the bike.
    Swim Time: 16:34 (22/90, 24.5%)
    My swim time was slow in the grand scheme of things, but at almost six minutes faster than Loughrea last year, at least there is improvement

T1: 1:00
    Transition was quick and painless, a squirt of Suit Juice beforehand from a club mate made a big difference in getting the suit off quickly.

CYCLE
    About 5km in, I was passed by two cyclists, a cousin of mine from the club, and a guy from Predator. I managed to keep them within sight for about 2/3s of the cycle, but the last few drags against the wind showed up the lack of cycling power in my legs, and I had nothing in front of me until I got back to transition.
    Cycle Time: 34:30 (4/90, 4.5%)
    Happy enough with the cycle, a technical enough course that could have done with a few more marshalls.

T2: No time for T2, chip time combines it with run.

RUN
    I had tightened the elastic shoe laces in the running shoes a bit too tight for some reason, and it was a bit of a struggle getting them on. The run started with a hill, and I could see my cousin and the Predator guy up ahead, the east Galway man having passed the west Galway man during the last of the cycle it seemed. The hill was beginning to tell a bit, and the cousin passed the other guy, and with me going by him at about 2km. Half a km later, I managed to pass my clubmate, but in putting down some power while taking advantage of him taking a drink of water, I felt a bit of a stitch develop. Having no idea of his running ability, and whether he had a kick in him, the last thing I wanted was to be bent over by a stitch coming down the home stretch and being overtaken by family (!), so I eased off a little, and felt the stitch cleared up at the 4km mark, and picked up a bit again.
    Run Time: 20:32 incl T2 (5/90, 5.5%)

Total Time: 1:12:36 (4/90, 4.5%)

I was surprised and delighted to be told when I passed the finishing line that I had come in 4th. I had expected the swim to leave me decidedly mid-pack in triathlon, and although I’m sure a more competitive field would see me pushed much further down (many of the faster racers seemed to have opted for the Olympic), it’s reignited my interest in swimming and sticking with triathlons for the rest of the year! I’m under no illusion as to the slowness of my swimming but coming from a 22 minute swim in my only previous triathlon, I guess that the only way is up!

Monday
    Headed back to Ceantar na nOilean on the bike, a nice spin that brings you over five inter-connected islands. Something wrong with the cadence sensor on the bike that no end of fiddling has as yet to get right.
    Done:
    Route: Fuirnis & Muiceanach
    Distance: 61.95km
    Time: 02:04:15
    Average/Max Speed: 29.9/56.2kph
    Average/Max HR: 152/171
    Weather: Breezy, overcast, a bit wet.

Today:
    As miserable a run as I’ve had in a long time. Felt stiff and lifeless, and feeling dizzy at about the 5k mark, so a perfect excuse to cut a sh*t run short.

Route: Dóilín & Rinn
    Distance: 7.75km
    Time: 38:27
    Average Pace: 4:57
    Average/Max HR: 154/192

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going at TriBurgh. Well done. Nice result in the 8k too. You're going well. :cool:

Are you doing Cope this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow solid result there Ronan and your were ahead of the pack on the swim. It can be tough alright swimming out against the flow, you have to time your sighting for when you are on top of the wave. Its all about 'feel'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great time - I assume you know the 3rd place guy well. I didnt realise Lorcain was doing the triathlons - I used to play GAA with him years ago, fine player he was always the fittest guy on the team

I am very impressed with you finishing ahead of my club mate Tommy, hes a decent swimmer and strong cyclist and I thought he would have to big a lead on you on the run, obviously not. He was only 30 seconds ahead of you out of the water :eek: Your swimming has come on in leaps and bounds

Advertisement