Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday
    Run: Rathmines to Booterstown

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 37:10
    Pace: 9:18min/mile
    Climb: 0m
    HR: 156bpm

Friday
    Cycle: Rathmines - Rathfarnham - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 11.48 miles
    Time: 51:41
    Average Speed: 13.3 mph
    HR: 151bpm

Run: Killiney, Dalkey and Roche's Hills
    Got the DART to Killiney after work and ran the 3 hills again - Dalkey twice, Killiney twice and Roche's once. Dalkey Hill is the most fun as it has 177 steep steps! Got my heart-rate up to 185bpm (was 189bpm a few weeks ago). The sun was long gone by the time I was finished.

Distance: 8 miles
    Time: 1:30:38
    Pace: 11:20min/mile
    Climb: 342m
    HR: 160bpm
    Garmin Link

Saturday
    Run: Phoenix Park
    Cycled to the Park, forgot the Half-Marathon was on! Didn't upset my planned route. Finished up at the top of Kyber Road.

Time: 37:01
    Pace: 9:15min/mile
    Climb: 51m
    HR: 167bpm

Monday
    Run: Phoenix Park

I bought a headtorch on Sunday so I tried it out on this LSR. Have a sore neck today! It's quite fun running in the dark with a headtorch, except for the KitKat wrapper that scared me around the 4th mile, and the deer that were on nearly every trail in the Park. Iced the knee when I got back on my brother's advice. Can't feel any pain in it today :)

Hills included Kyber Road twice and Lower Glen Road. Very happy with my splits - less than 30 seconds difference between the fastest and slowest miles, the fastest being me running away from deer who were only looking at me! I didn't know how they would react to the headtorch!

Distance: 12 miles
    Time: 2:03:00
    Pace: 10:15min/mile
    Climb: 94m
    Garmin Link

Wednesday

Run: Rathmines to Booterstown

Thursday

Run: Killiney Hills

Brought the bike on the first DART to Killiney and parked it at the station. I'm still getting to know the dozens of trails in the area so a lot of this run was just following trails and seeing were they ended up. I can't remember exactly but I think I did Killiney Hill 4 times, Dalkey Hill steps twice and Roche's Hill Twice. No need for the headlamp, the sun was rising just as I reached the top of the first hill. Then cycled the 5 miles to work from Killiney. Interesting that I got up at 05.45 and only started at work at 10.00am!!

Distance: 9 miles
    Time: 1:45:30
    Pace: 11:43min/mile
    Climb: 415m
    Garmin Link

Suppose it's time to update the PB Table!

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:24:50 (1.1.11)|00:24:00
    5 miles|00:41:45 (21.11.10)|00:40:00
    10km|00:54:03 (16.1.11)|00:50:00
    10 miles|01:27:00 (16.1.11)|01:20:00
    Half Marathon|0[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1[/FONT]:56:53 (04.09.11)|01:50:00
    Marathon|06:30:51 (30.10.06)|03:50:00

Friday

Run: Rathmines to Blackrock

Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 45:18
    Pace: 9:04min/mile

Sunday
    Run: Shankill to Hell Fire Club

Got the first bus out to Shankill and started at the start of the Dublin Mountains Way. My plan was to take it easy at the start and not push myself too hard to conserve energy for the end. Also went for the same nutrition/hydration strategy as the last few LSRs, ie a drink every 30 minutes (2 litres of water/orange in my Platypus) and food every 60 minutes (2 bananas and a packet of Starburst). I was very happy with how it went and I didn't have jelly-legs at the end like I did at the end of the (flat) 16-mile LSR.

Highlights:
    • Massey's Wood: My first time in this wood and was very impressed. Lovely surface - nice and soft. Great for descending.
    • My knee holding up :)
    • Finishing the run! I felt very satisfied, but quite sore!
    • Doing my first run of 1,000m of climbing. 1,012 metres according to the Garmin :eek:
    Disappointments:
    • The rocky surface between the base of Two Rock and Tibradden forest. It was flat, straight, lovely views, but couldn't sustain a good pace because of the small rocks. Very frustrating.
    • Taking a wrong turn before heading up to the top of Tibradden. I ended up not running Tibradden Mountain and ran on the tarmac of Ballybrack Road (I think) instead.
    • The climb up to Hell Fire Club. It was far too steep to run, I was quicker walking. Felt like my calf muscles were going to snap! Will avoid Hell Fire Club for the 20-mile LSR or will go the back way around.
    Distance: 18 miles
    Time: 3:43:18
    Pace: 12:24min/mile
    Climb: 1,012m
    Garmin Link

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Highlights:
    • Massey's Wood: My first time in this wood and was very impressed. Lovely surface - nice and soft. Great for descending.
    • My knee holding up :)
    • Finishing the run! I felt very satisfied, but quite sore!
    • Doing my first run of 1,000m of climbing. 1,012 metres according to the Garmin :eek:

I'm so jealous, Micilin... Well done on such a great run :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Time: 45:45
    Pace: 9:09min/mile
    HR: 163bpm

Wednesday

Run: Killiney - Carrickgollogan - Shanganagh Park

Ran with my brother (the Ironman) up to Carrickgollogan. Lovely evening, spent about 5 minutes at the top of the hill looking at the great hazy twilight 360-degree view. He found the run tougher than I did :D Probably because he hasn't ran in three weeks.

Distance: 9 miles
    Time: 1:34:48
    Pace: 10:32min/mile
    Climb: 263m
    HR: 150bpm
    Garmin Link

Cycle: Rathmines to Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.39 miles
    Time: 28:33
    Average Speed: 13.4 mph
    HR: 126bpm

Thursday

Run: Blackrock to Rathmines

Very hot run home from work!

Time: 45:55
    Pace: 9:11min/mile
    HR: 158bpm

Distance: 6.32 miles
    Time: 28:23
    Average Speed: 13.4 mph
    HR: 124bpm

Friday

Cycle: Dún Laoghaire to Rathmines

Very wet cycle home from work!

Distance: 6.40 miles
    Time: 26:56
    Average Speed: 14.3 mph
    HR: 140bpm

Saturday

Run: Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Crumlin

After last week's big LSR of 18 miles in the mountains, I thought this 14-miler on the flat was going to be easy, especially since the Hal Higdon plan says:

"Did you believe when you started this program there would come a day when we would tell you to go that distance, and you'd think, Oh, an easy day."

Well it wasn't easy. A couple of reasons:
    • Weather: I'd like to blame the rain for making me feel kind of down at the end of the run, but to be honest I don't think it bothers me that much. I can't discount it though.
    • Gear: I wore my Mizuno trail runners for this run. But around 6 miles of this run was on concrete footpaths, to and from the Phoenix Park. Maybe I should have cycled to the Park instead. The wet conditions called for the trail runners.
    • Nutrition: I started running just before 2pm, but all I had for breakfast at 11am was porridge, cold chicken goujons from Friday night, a triangle of Toblerone and half a family pack of M&Ms. Actually, on writing this, I see where I went wrong today :pac: Ok, time to cop on a bit!
    I think I've got a good recovery routine now: Shower first, 45-minute nap and then icing my knees and ankles. Must get the same recovery vanilla shake as my brother, it's really nice!

Distance: 14 miles
    Time: 2:18:44
    Pace: 9:55min/mile
    Climb: 124m

Plan for Week 15
    So next week is the peak week :D, 20 miles next weekend. I've decided to do the runs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so that I have Thursday and Friday to take it easy for the 20 miles on Saturday, then Sunday and Monday to recover. Will be treating this week like a race week!

I've been doing a lot less cross training, ie cycling, recently. I feel better for it because of the increased running mileage, but my plan is prescribing quite a bit more cross training than I'm doing.

cold chicken goujons from Friday night, a triangle of Toblerone and half a family pack of M&Ms.

I had roughly the same diet over the weekend, but at least you went running afterwards :D

Monday

Run: Shanganagh Park

As the weather was so nice I decided I'd do my 10-miler tonight. Went with my brother from Killiney down to Shanganagh Park and did loads of loops. Probably not the best week to start something new but I tried doing a few miles at my planned marathon pace (9.10min/mile). I don't know if it was psychological or what, but I found it a little tough, had a few stitches. All the hill running I've been doing must be great for my endurance but is no substitute for running faster.

Dolphins are back in Killiney Bay again :)

Distance: 10.11 miles
    Time: 1:34:09
    Pace: 9:19min/mile
    Climb: 70m
    HR: 150bpm

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Killiney

Distance: 12.14 miles
    Time: 55:34
    Average Speed: 13.1 mph
    HR: 123bpm

Tuesday

Run: Blackrock to Rathmines

Ran home from work. Wanted something different so I decided to take a different route than my usual Rock Road route: went up Mount Merrion Avenue and down the N11 to the Grand Canal. I remember MMA being a hill when I was younger, but did not feel it at all running it tonight :D

Time: 45:23
    Pace: 9:04min/mile
    Climb: 50m
    HR: 157bpm

Distance: 6.39 miles

Wednesday

A little variation on the previous night's run: down Booterstown Avenue and across Cross Avenue and down the rest of Mount Merrion Avenue. Felt great by the time I got to work.

Time: 45:04
    Pace: 9:01min/mile
    Climb: 35m
    HR: 161bpm

20 miles to do on Saturday. Will be running it from Killiney to Hell Fire Club, nearly identical to my last LSR over the mountains, + 2 miles added on in the middle somewhere! I won't be alone as my brother will be mountain-biking along with food and drink for myself and his friend who will be running the New York Marathon the week after the DCM.

Ó Chuan go Sliabh - From Bay to Mountain

Route: Killiney Bay, Shankill, Carrickgollogan, Barnaslingan, Kilternan, Ballybetagh Road and Ballyedmonduff Road (love this 2.5 mile hill!), Three Rock, Two Rock, Tibradden, Cruagh Wood, Massy's Estate, Hellfire Wood.

My longest run done and dusted :D As mentioned in my previous post, I ran with a friend running the NYC Marathon soon. This was her first time doing any kind of run on a hill, and she made it all the way to Tibradden, 16 miles!! My brother cycled along with us with supplies. It was really great not having to worry about drinks, bananas, gels, and map etc.

Weather, scenery, company, form, food and drink - everything went right today. 20 minutes in my Dad's car straight afterwards got my legs really, really stiff though! Had a massive feed in my brother's afterwards and icing my knees and feet now, feeling much better than earlier (or not feeling anything, don't know which!).

Celebrating with a bottle of beer tonight. A whole bottle of it :)

Distance: 20 miles
    Time: 3:59:30
    Pace: 11:59min/mile
    Climb: 934m (how was this less than the 18-miler over the same route?!!)
    Garmin Link

Well done Micilin. So glad your last big LSR went well for you. Must be a great feeling to have it out of the way. You're well set now for the big day :).

• Advertisement

Well done Micilin. So glad your last big LSR went well for you. Must be a great feeling to have it out of the way. You're well set now for the big day :).

Thanks, feeling quite confident now!

I noticed over the past few LSRs that two of my toenails on my left foot are slightly purple. Just did a search for 'toenails' in these forums and the results are not promising eek.gif

I've also been planning ahead to the winter. Last winter I wore Yaktrax in the snow and ice and was able to continue my training. They broke after a lot of walking and running so I've bought the next best thing, Kahtoola Microspikes. Hopefully they're not overkill!

medium_100143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

I noticed over the past few LSRs that two of my toenails on my left foot are slightly purple. Just did a search for 'toenails' in these forums and the results are not promising eek.gif

I've also been planning ahead to the winter. Last winter I wore Yaktrax in the snow and ice and was able to continue my training. They broke after a lot of walking and running so I've bought the next best thing, Kahtoola Microspikes. Hopefully they're not overkill!

medium_100143.jpg

Jesus those things look absolutely mental, I want a pair now :D

Just paint your nails purple like I do ;) - now my 9 other toenails match the colour of the second toe on my right foot :D

If only it was the colour I was worried about! Are your toenails bruised too? I don't think there's any particular preventative apart from less mileage! Losing toenails makes me squeamish!

Yes, it's bruised, but thankfully it's still there :)

Monday

Cycle: To work and back

Distance: 12.81 miles
    Time: 59:21
    Average Speed: 13 mph
    HR: 121bpm

Tuesday

Run: Blackrock - Rathmines

Time: 45:01
    Pace: 8:60min/mile (isn't that a 9min/mile?!! weird!)
    Climb: 51m
    HR: 163bpm

Wednesday

Run: Three Rock & Two Rock

Head-torch needed for this run, love running in the dark! Creepy deer staring back at me, and plenty of mountain bikers around with their high-powered lights. Chose a new trail to descend to Ballyedmonduff. It wasn't suitable for me to run on - too steep, narrow and rocky. I think this will be my last hill run before the marathon. As much as I love it, I don't want to get injured.

Lovely views of the city at night :)

Distance: 8 miles
    Time: 1:32:20
    Pace: 11:32min/mile
    Climb: 362m
    Garmin Link

photo2.JPG

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Ballyedmonduff - Rathmines

Cycled up Slatecabin Lane to the Blue Light. My first time not dismounting at the steep hills :)

Distance: 18.14 miles
    Time: 1:29:34
    Average Speed: 11.9 mph
    HR: 139bpm

Thursday

Run: Rathmines - Booterstown

Time: 35:34
    Pace: 8:53min/mile
    HR: 159bpm (very low by my standards)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice shot! I think you're right not to risk injury at this stage though - a simple ankle twist could play up after 20 miles...urgly.

The hill runs look great - must do more of them myself. Have a big running headtorch and all....

brownian wrote: »
    Nice shot! I think you're right not to risk injury at this stage though - a simple ankle twist could play up after 20 miles...urgly.

The hill runs look great - must do more of them myself. Have a big running headtorch and all....

It's great fun! I think it's important to get to know the trails in the daylight. I'll be doing a lot more running up there at night during the winter, but I think you may be a bit too fast for me! My trail runs are usually in the 10:30 to 12min/mile range ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hard to run trails fast - target pace on trails is usually about 6/km (near enough ten minute miles)...at night that'd drop off considerably.

TBH running up hills is my favourite form of running - sadly, though, it's not conducive to setting and passing targets, PBs and those things that I obsess about.

After the marathon (whenever that is...):)

• Advertisement

Saturday

Route: Spiddal - Aill an Phréacháin - Moycullen Road - Spiddal

Was in Galway for the weekend so I met up with Backspacer to do 12 miles around Spiddal. Weather was nice for running, not so nice for views: drizzly and not too warm.

We started out a little bit too quick for an LSR, so I kept an eye on the Garmin to keep the pace in check. Headed out the road towards Na Forbacha and turned up by Aill an Phréacháin. Very few cars on this road. One hill hit us out of the blue - Cnoc an Asail as I found out later - just before we reached the Moycullen Road.

I expected it to be downhill all the way from there, but it was a few more miles of undulating hills before the road started dropping. We picked up the pace slightly for the last two miles and reached Spiddal at 11.7 miles.

We didn't do the full 12 miles, but didn't really care: we kept up a good pace (by our standards) of 10min/miles over hills so I guess we were both happy with the day's running :) Was chatting pretty much the whole way around and it really helped the miles to blend into each other. Fair play to Backspacer for a good time on an LSR on hills one week after a 10k race and two weeks after a half-marathon!

Distance: 11.73 miles
    Time: 1:57:18
    Pace: 10min/mile
    Climb: 155m
    HR: 155bpm
    Garmin Link

Was good to meet up with you Micilin, have to say that the hills were an eye opener for me but definitely was a great run. Just may be a while before i tackle that one again though:D

:eek: You sure do like your hills Micilin! Well done to you both on doing that in 10 min/miles. You would have had a long wait for me in Spiddal if I had gone with you :D!!

Monday

Cycle: To work and back

Very, very, cold. Must get proper cycle gear since the Bike to Work Scheme was announced at work today :)

Distance: 12.79 miles
    Time: 59:57
    Average Speed: 13 mph
    HR: 134bpm

Tuesday

Run: Booterstown - Rathmines via N11

Ran a little bit of the trail along the walls of UCD, nice!
    Time: 36:01
    Pace: 8:59min/mile
    Climb: 42m
    HR: 157bpm

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.18 miles
    Time: 26:32
    Average Speed: 14 mph
    HR: 133bpm

Wednesday

Run: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Got two baselayer tops in Aldi last week, wore one under my t-shirt today. Lovely and toasty!

Distance: 6 miles
    Time: 55:39
    Pace: 9:13min/mile

Cycle: Dún Laoghaire to Rathmines

Cold and windy.
    Distance: 6.44 miles
    Time: 30:10
    Average Speed: 12.8 mph
    HR: 140bpm

Thursday

Run: Sydney Parade - Rathmines

Haven't done a run this short in a while! Didn't feel good starting off, sore back and a stitch on both sides. 5 minutes later and the run felt effortless. 156bpm is very low by my standards.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 27:48
    Pace: 9:15min/mile

Saturday & Sunday

Pizza, burgers, breakfast fry, chocolate, Coca-Cola and mental preparation for the marathon. No running at all. I got my gear on on Sunday morning, looked outside at the weather, said no. Stayed in all day and played Wii and watched films!

In all seriousness, I bought cycling gear on Saturday so the weather can't be an excuse for not cycling to work during the winter.

Will do the 8-mile LSR tonight and will run Wednesday, Friday and Sunday morning.

Monday

Running: Rathmines - Crumlin - Walkinstown - Kimmage - Terenure - Rathmines (part of DCM route)

Stubbornness is not a good trait. Having not seen the news or any major floods on my way home, I didn't think anything of going out for my last LSR in the rain, just that it was the worst floods Dublin has seen in a while. I made it 0.5 mile along the Grand Canal before I had to run on the wall between the flooded road and the Canal. Made it as far as Crumlin, thought I could go up Crumlin Road but seeing a car floating in the water did not bode well.

Took Rutland Avenue up to Clogher Road, Kildare Road and back to Crumlin Road/Drimnagh Road. The drag that I hear so much about on the DCM route does not last as far as I thought: the Children's Hospital to Walkinstown Road is grand and there's even a little downhill. Followed the route along to Cromwellsfort Road and Kimmage Road West which is also grand. Left the route and went on to Terenure and back home to Rathmines.

Definitely wasn't a good idea to run tonight. Keeping warm now so I don't get a cold.

Distance: 7.82 miles
    Time: 1:21:41
    Pace: 10:27min/mile
    Climb: 36m
    HR: 162bpm

And there was me complaining about a bit of rain out cycling on Sunday, not exactly ideal preparation weather for the DCM but better that the weather came now and not next weekend.

Rain while cycling is a lot worse than rain while running, especially in the Connemara wind!

That section of wall I ran on was directly across the road from where that poor woman drowned last night. Chances should not be taken in this kind of weather.

True enough, never seen anything like it before. Still hopefully that's the end of it now, last thing that will be needed for the weekend that's coming is a repeat of that.

• Advertisement

I've been asked to do an interview on Dublin's Raidió na Life about me doing the Dublin City Marathon!! Will be on the radio between 6.30 and 7 this evening on 106.4FM and www.raidionalife.ie !!

Advertisement