Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Rás Spraoi an Spidéil 5km

Finish time: 22 min, 22 sec
    Position: somewhere around 10th

The race was a fun-run fundraiser for the local secondary school - most of the participants were walkers or schoolchildren. I was happy to see two of the faster members of the tri club volunteering rather than racing ;)

As I hadn't any big plans for the race, I didn't think much about being a few rows from the front. The first 500m was spent overtaking and trying to find room. Still, the average pace for the first 1km was 4:18min/km. The second km was slightly slower, at 4:19. I managed not to lose any places. Saw three of my clubmates in the top 5/6 at the turnaround.

The suffering started in the 3rd km - I slowed down to 4:34. I lapped my wife and mother-in-law here who where walking (they finished in less than 45 mins). The last two kms were about keeping my place - I ran a 4:42 and a 4:43, but lost one place just before the last km. Came in with a fastish (relative) pace. Nearly puked seconds after the finish line.

Now I have a benchmark for the rest of the year. 22:22 is a good bit off my PB of 19:56, but not a time I'm unhappy with given my injury woes over the past few years, and the fact that I've done nothing faster than recovery pace since last summer.

However one cause for concern is a bad calf cramp that I got in the middle of the night last night. I haven't had them in a long time. Obviously highlights my need to hydrate and to do more stretching and foam rolling.

Strava Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

4:18, 4:19, 4:34, 4:42, 4:43.
    Looks like you simply started too fast and paid the price.
    Start off the next run/parkrun at 4:25 and keep it consistent and that's half a minute taken off already!

Good to see you racing again though!

belcarra wrote: »
    4:18, 4:19, 4:34, 4:42, 4:43.
    Looks like you simply started too fast and paid the price.
    Start off the next run/parkrun at 4:25 and keep it consistent and that's half a minute taken off already!

Good to see you racing again though!

Very good point. I definitely went out too fast - I got caught behind loads of slower runners and then tried to make up ground once there was space to overtake :rolleyes:

Next race is Terenure 5 Mile in 5 weeks. Might go for 4:25min/kms then!

What's your own plan at the moment? I see you're in CH now!

However one cause for concern is a bad calf cramp that I got in the middle of the night last night. I haven't had them in a long time. Obviously highlights my need to hydrate and to do more stretching and foam rolling.

Note for log:

Calf cramp could be from driving - I spent an hour learning on Sunday.

Study week #2

Monday
    Running: 5km race as above

Tuesday
    Rest

Spent most of the day with my feet up recovering from the massive 5km distance I covered on Monday. Had a few cramps in my feet.

Did some yoga and some foam rolling, including the rolling my foot over The Grid.

Wednesday
    Running: 4.9km with 5 x 100m strides. Doing these once a week to improve the biomechanics, whatever that is! I did concentrate on keeping the rest of my body relaxed, which is I think one of the more important things when doing strides.

Cycling: 17.6km on the MTB. Who did I meet in the middle of the day on my study week while tearing down a narrow road on the MTB? My CEO. Can't do anything around here without being seen!

Thursday
    Cycling: 24km on the MTB. There were some fire engines battling bog fires in the area, I just had to put down my books and investigate!

Friday
    Running: 4.9km recovery.

Saturday
    Rest.

Sunday
    Running: 6.3km @ 'long run' pace. Visited a nearby bog road for the first time. Nice steep hill and rough terrain. What's not to like!
    Cycling: 8km in Dublin, A to B journey.

I did foam rolling and yoga stretches everyday. The calf and foot are giving out less :)

• Advertisement

Exam Week

Monday
    Cycling: 38.6km on the MTB. Commuted to and from my exam in Milltown and then headed up to Three Rock afterwards. Cracking day for it too. I nearly died on the climb up through Kilmashogue. Much easier to run it than to cycle it!

A new trail confused me (Euro I think it's called) so took a wrong turning at one point. Got a puncture soon after. Fixed it quite quickly and headed off again. Just as I reached my house I noticed I had lost my keys. No chance was I going to head back to have a look, I was wrecked!

Tuesday
    Cycling: 12km commuting

Running: 4.8km recovery run in Bushy Park.

Wednesday
    Cycling: 12km commuting

Thursday
    Cycling: 14km MTB commuting back in Galway.

Running: 4.9km recovery run with 5 x 100m strides. Heart rate was way down!

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Running: 4.9km hangover recovery run around Bushy Park.

I did one fewer run this week than planned due to my own exams, my last weekend of giving lectures until September, and then a family do on Saturday at which many whiskeys were consumed (I'd rather a sore head than a sore stomach!). At least I won't be travelling to Dublin for another month (for the Terenure 5 miler as it happens).

Monday
    Cycling: 4.5km commute
    Running: 6.3km trail run. I ran another section of the coastal trail - the total runnable section of trail is now nearly 5km :D

Unfortunately I ran through a puddle of water just after I joined the trail which made my socks a little bit damp. There was only 1km of Killiney Beach-style rocks to run on but the friction tore bits of skin off my foot :eek:

When I arrived home I could see a bog fire in the distance. Since my house is just at the edge of the bog, I walked up the hill to check it out. When jumping off one of the stone walls I landed on my ankle. I swear I heard a crack. I hobbled home and did some RICE treatment.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 25km around the bogs. Monday night's fire was in an area I had cycled through a few weeks ago, the whole area is now burnt to the ground!

Wednesday
    Cycling: 9km commuting.

The ankle has healed a lot (still swollen), but my right foot is still quite sore from the skin that was torn off. Hopefully it'll harden up today (wearing sandles at work :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hopefully it'll harden up today (wearing sandles at work :o)

Bloody hippys!:cool:

belcarra wrote: »
    Bloody hippys!:cool:

I believe the correct term in Galway is "Crusties". As we're on that subject, a nice crusty scab has formed on my foot :pac: Ran home yesterday and into work this morning.

Thursday
    Cycling: 4.5km commute
    Running
    : 4.6km run commute. First run since I busted the ankle and got the blisters. The skin had mostly hardened up and the ankle wasn't causing any pain while walking. No issues during the run.

Friday
    Running: Ankle still fine so I ran into work, again no issues during the run (5.3km).

I had a flat tyre when leaving on Friday, no spare tube so no cycle home.

I had a nice relaxing weekend away, not doing any exercise or walking even. The ankle is still quite stiff and swollen and last night I noticed some discolouration of the skin which looks like bruising but has no pain. VHI Nurseline reckons I should head to the doctor (kinda like Met Éireann covering themselves by predicting rain, sun and wind!). Have an appointment for this evening. Hopefully there's no medium or long-term damage.

• Advertisement

Doctor reckons my flexor ligaments are ruptured, to take a week off running, wrapped a bandage support around my ankle and prescribed me some NSAIDs. He typed "no evidence of fracture" in his notes. I'll take it as good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Lucky bastid :)

TbL

Feck all to report on in the past two weeks.

Running: 4.6km run commute Friday week ago. I wasn't supposed to be back running but it was the easiest way to get to work logistics-wise. No harm done.

Cycling: Have done 22.5km of bike commuting and did a 48km spin with the club last Sunday on the road bike. First time on the road bike this year!!

Swimming: Was on holidays for a few days in Mayo and did about 10 lengths of kicking in the pool in Westport in anticipation of the club's pool sessions a few days later. First club session on Friday was good. I didn't suffer any calf or foot cramps. The instructor took four of us aside at the end for a chat (we are the slowest in the slowest lane). He gave the other three really good advice and said I should work on my 'catch'. I'm not 100% sure what that is!

Hiking: Did an 8km walk/hike around Clare Island.

Ankle isn't recovered and haven't done much running in the past few weeks. Will knock the Terenure 5-Mile on the head.

Took gym membership out last night in my local gym. I expect to use it for swimming drills, rowing machine and possibly the crosstrainer. I figure the crosstrainer might be a good substitute for running until my ankle is better.

Distance|Current PB|Current VDOT|Goal PB
    5km|00:19:54 (23.09.12)|50|00:18:40
    8km|00:32:37 (13.02.17)|50|00:31:45
    5 miles|00:36:20 (15.09.12)||00:31:59
    10km|00:42:09 (13.10.12)|49|00:38:59
    10 miles|01:12:02 (15.09.12)||01:04:59
    Half Marathon|01:34:55 (15.09.12)|48|01:24:59
    Marathon|03:20:22 (29.10.12)|47|02:59:59

4 years later, I get a PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus - look whos back!! My very 1st Boards date ;)

Jaysus - look whos back!! My very 1st Boards date ;)

Am I the one who got away? ;)

Advertisement