Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Run: Dingle - Connor Pass - Dingle

Elevation:518m - This was the part that scared me, fair play, couldn't picture doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday

Run: Rathmines - Sydney Parade

Happy with splits of 8:55, 8:52, 8:30 min/miles.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 25:48
    Pace: 8:35min/mile
    Climb: 0m
    HR: 168bpm

I don't think I'll manage an LSR until Monday because of weekend commitments. Might head up to Three Rock after work.

Friday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines - Rathfarnham

Had an accident in the evening rush hour around the RDS. Was cycling on my own in the middle of the Bus Lane (it's not wide enough for a car and bike) when an eejit cut me off by going into the Bus Lane and braking right in front of me, forcing me to rear-end the car and go over the handlebars. I stood up and walked over to the passenger door asking her what she thought she was doing and the next thing, she drove off. Didn't injure myself apart from a bruise on my hip but took a while for me to calm down. No matter how careful you are on the bike, it'll be someone else who'll put you in danger. :mad:

Distance: 16.32 miles
    Time: 1:07:15
    Average Speed: 14.6 mph
    HR: 145bpm

Sunday

Cycle: Rathfarnham - Rathmines

Distance: 3.59 miles
    Time: 14:56
    Average Speed: 14.4 mph
    HR: 140bpm

Had an exercise-free weekend as I was looking after my three nephews. I've no idea how parents manage any exercise, I'm wrecked now! LSR tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Friday

Had an exercise-free weekend as I was looking after my three nephews. I've no idea how parents manage any exercise, I'm wrecked now! LSR tomorrow after work.

We call it cross-training!
    Annoying about the accident, cycling in cities seems to be a hairy prospect at time...

Monday

Run: Three Rock & Two Rock/Fairy Castle

An 11-hour day at work today so I was dying to leave the office for the LSR I missed yesterday. Went up to Ballyedmonduff again and ran the main tracks up to Three Rock and then Fairy Castle, around the western descent and back again. The sun was beginning to set as I reached the top of Fairy Castle. Beautiful scene, especially the passenger ferries leaving Dublin Port with all their lights on. One of those runs when you feel happy about everything :D

For both my run and my cycle, I kept an eye on my HR and said I wouldn't stop unless my HR went above some arbitrary number. When it reached that number, I just decided on a higher one :D, so I never stopped moving (except to let a herd of deer cross the track). Satisfied with my form.

Distance: 7 miles
    Time: 1:22:32
    Pace: 11:47min/mile
    Climb: 284m
    HR: 165bpm
    Garmin Link

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Three Rock - Rathmines

This my first time cycling to the Three Rock area without getting off my bike. It might be the route I took but I think it's me being fitter ;) The cycle to work was strange - I think there was a tailwind as I had a normal enough average speed but had a very low HR, 25 beats lower! Didn't even break a sweat! I also didn't have a sore back starting my run.

Distance: 21.84 miles
    Time: 1:43:13
    Average Speed: 12.7 mph
    HR: 145bpm

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Much needed rest.

Wednesday

Run: Fifteen Acres, Phoenix Park

Time: 28:13
    Pace: 9:24min/mile
    HR: 163bpm
    Garmin Link

Cycle: Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 19.90 miles
    Time: 1:27:39
    Average Speed: 13.6 mph
    HR: 138bpm

My next goal race, a half marathon as part of a relay team for the 70.3 Ironman in Galway, is in less than 4 weeks. My team-mate for the swim section of the relay has pulled out due to breaking her wrist in a bike accident last weekend. So we've been looking for a replacement (the organisers were kind enough to let us change names), but to no avail so far. My brother-in-law had a great suggestion - that I do it!

I haven't swam in about 4 months and don't have much time left until the race, but my brother (who's doing a full ironman in September) says nothing is impossible! The swim section involves 1.8km of open-water swimming, followed by a 3-hour break (or however long it takes my other team-mate to cycle 56 miles) and then a Half Marathon run :eek:

Part of my plan (can't believe I'm writing this), is to do a swim tomorrow morning on Killiney Beach and to do an Aquathon in Bray this day next week (a 750m swim and a 5km run).

I'll probably swim every second day and will try and get 2 open-water sessions done a week until September 4th! What's the worst that can happen? (Don't answer that question anybody!)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like fun, good luck :)

Thursday

Run: Killiney Beach - Dún Laoghaire

Lovely run along the coast. Didn't feel the hills.

Distance: 6 miles
    Time: 59:15
    Pace: 9:52min/mile
    Climb: 99m
    Garmin Link

Swim: Killiney Beach

Time: 35 minutes
    Mouthfuls of seawater: 9.5

I'm not swimming-fit, very weak shoulders and upper-body strength! Really enjoyed the swim though.

Good news, we got a swimmer for the relay team. So, I won't have to do an aquathon next week or buy a wetsuit, and I can concentrate on training for the Half Marathon.

Will try and go swimming twice a week anyway. I'm still putting on weight (probably muscle) but my waistline isn't getting much smaller. Swimming might do the job!

Saturday

3 miles along the Grand Canal. Last mile faster than first :)

Time: 26:28
    Pace: 8:49min/mile

Big run tomorrow!

Sunday

Ran 12 miles of the Dublin Mountains Way from Shankill to Tibradden. It was my first time running to the summit of Carrickgollogan and was very impressed with the 365 degree view. Ironically I didn't mind the uphill sections but hated the downhill sections because of my knee. My least favourite part was the road from The Scalp to Ballyedmonduff, but I suppose it was a relief to not worry about my footing, trail running is very mentally taxing.

Distance: 12 miles
    Time: 2:33:19
    Pace: 12:46min/mile
    Climb: 735m
    Garmin Link

Hill Profile:

profile.jpg

View from Carrickgollogan looking south:

photo.JPG

• Advertisement

Monday

Cycling: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.40 miles
    Time: 24:17
    Average Speed: 15.8 mph
    HR: 142bpm

Tuesday

Running: Rathmines - Sydney Parade

Time: 25:52
    Pace: 8:39min/mile
    HR: 164bpm

Cycling: Dún Laoghaire to Rathmines

Distance: 6.45 miles
    Time: 27:11
    Average Speed: 14.2 mph
    HR: 152bpm

Wednesday

Running: Killiney Dart - Killiney Hill - Dalkey Hill - Roches Hill - Dalkey Dart

Got the first Dart to Killiney to meet up with my brother for a run. Started off on pavements, then the beach then up into trails on the three hills. I can't believe how much of the run was on trails in a built-up area! Stopped a few times to have a look at the dolphins playing near the Sound. Beautiful morning.

Distance: 6.11 miles
    Time: 1:05:16
    Pace: 10:40min/mile
    Climb: 229m
    HR: 158bpm
    Garmin Link

Thursday

Distance: 3.03 miles
    Time: 25:13
    Pace: 8:19min/mile
    HR: 167bpm

Friday

Cycling: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 11.49 miles
    Time: 47:04
    HR: 144bpm

Saturday

Running: Marlay Park - Three Rock - Two Rock - Marlay Park

Got up to Marlay Park around 7.45am. Didn't realise it doesn't open until 9am :eek:. Ran up part of the Wicklow Way through Kilmashogue woods and up to Three Rock where I did two loops to ascend Two Rock twice. Came back home and had a lovely nap, well-needed! Don't feel like I've run a half-marathon. Party in my flat tonight and a few days of no exercise!

I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Cabrakan 2 in Amphibian King on Thursday. Tried them out today and was very happy! Great grip, but they felt a little tight when I was running downhill. Maybe I'll try wearing thinner socks next time. I also bought a pair of Nike shorts, as I feel like an eejit wearing loose shorts over compression shorts. These are a compromise, 2 in 1 shorts - felt nice! Unfortunately I realised my Platypus has a hole in it. Had wet shorts for most of my run :o Great Outdoors have a sale so I might get a new one today.

Distance: 13.1 miles
    Time: 2:29:30
    Pace: 11:24min/mile
    Climb: 633m
    Garmin Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Got up to Marlay Park around 7.45am. Didn't realise it doesn't open until 9am :eek:.

Can be very annoying alright, I normally enter the park from the back road and the gate does be opened from around 8am but it's a right pain in the ass when it's closed. I had a chat with a parky over it one time and he said although we open the park sometimes at 8, we don't have to till 9.

Monday

Distance: 6.38 miles
    Time: 26:05
    Average Speed: 14.7 mph
    HR: 133bpm

Tuesday

Time: 26:58
    Pace: 8:59min/mile
    HR: 161bpm

Cycling: Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 6.17 miles
    Time: 23:23
    Average Speed: 15.8 mph
    HR: 151bpm

Wednesday

Cycling: Killiney - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 11.15 miles
    Time: 49:45
    Average Speed: 13.4 mph

Running: Killiney Dart - Killiney Hill - Dalkey Hill - Roches Hill - Killiney Dart

Similar route to last Wednesday plus an extra mile. My maximum heart rate was 187bpm when we ran up the steps up to the top of Dalkey Hill! Give me Two Rock any day!

Time: 1:12:35
    Pace: 10:16min/mile
    Climb: 293m
    Garmin Link

On Garmin Connect this evening I did a report for the last 365 days of running. My favourite statistic is that I have climbed a total of 9,056 metres on my runs. According to Wikipedia, Mount Everest is 8,848 metres. I can't even imagine what proper hill runners do in a year!

Anyway here's a photo I took from the Dart this morning. The joys of getting up before 6am!

photo.JPG

On Garmin Connect this evening I did a report for the last 365 days of running. My favourite statistic is that I have climbed a total of 9,056 metres on my runs. According to Wikipedia, Mount Everest is 8,848 metres. I can't even imagine what proper hill runners do in a year!

I just read some of fellow Boardsie ocnoc's log. Here's one excerpt:
    Over the past 8 days, I've bashed out 85miles with 4500m of the vertical stuff, of which. 60% has been off trail, in ****ty terrain...

That should put me in my place!

Thursday

Running: Rathmines - Booterstown

Distance: 4 miles
    Time: 35:48
    Pace: 8:52min/mile

Saturday

Running: Maynooth - Castleknock

Ran 10 miles of the Royal Canal Way. I didn't enjoy this run very much: maybe because I was very hungover, maybe because I was just at the physio and had a sore knee, maybe because it was as flat as a pancake, and maybe it was because I was nervous of running a route I wasn't too sure of in terms of dodgy characters, but I think the real reason was because it was all the way along a canal that had hardly any variation in scenery. I was very bored. Also, every single mile was slower than the previous!!

What kept me most entertained was a heron that I chased for 2 miles. It kept flying ahead and stopping along the track until I was about 10 metres away. Don't think I'll do that route again, unless I'm in a very good mood!

Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:37:32
    Pace: 9:45min/mile
    HR: 170bpm
    Garmin Link

Sunday
    Went hiking with my GF today, 5.5 miles of the start of the Dublin Mountains Way. I think enjoyed it more than running the route because I had a chance to take in the scenery. I think I may have converted her :D

Before my LSR on Saturday, I went to the physio in Maynooth about my knee and of course he has said I have Runner's Knee. As it isn't causing me to double over with pain, he said I'm ok to keep running for the foreseeable future. Orthotics will be needed though and we'll have a chat about it after next Sunday's half-marathon in Galway. He treated the knee by some deep rubbing and then some electrotherapy as anti-inflammatory. I'm happy that I know what's wrong and that I haven't done much damage.

I hit the wall today, the Wall of Darkness!

I needed to get into work at 7.30 this morning, as I've been doing for the past few weeks, but today it was pitch black when I woke up at 5.15 to cycle to the Phoenix Park for a run. I just went straight back to bed, no run until I get home from work.

I'll have to invest in a head-torch. I'll look like a right spa now!

I hit the wall today, the Wall of Darkness!

I needed to get into work at 7.30 this morning, as I've been doing for the past few weeks, but today it was pitch black when I woke up at 5.15 to cycle to the Phoenix Park for a run. I just went straight back to bed, no run until I get home from work.

I'll have to invest in a head-torch. I'll look like a right spa now!

I hear you, looked out this morning about 5 (no idea why i was awake so early) and it was black, alas the winter is upon us again unfortunately:(

Monday

Cycling: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 12.73 miles
    Time: 51:31
    Average Speed: 14.8 mph

Tuesday

Running: Phoenix Park

Felt very strong all the way through this run. Loads of runners in the Park.

Time: 1:03:16
    Pace: 9:01min/mile
    Climb: 57m

Cycling: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines - Phoenix Park - Rathmines

Distance: around 20 miles

Wednesday

Running: Booterstown - Rathmines

Was working at home very late the night before, only got 2 hours' sleep. Didn't think I'd be able for the 4 miles but I had no choice, it was the only way of getting home! Felt great by the time I got home.

Time: 35:53
    Pace: 8:57min/mile
    HR: 160bpm

Distance: around 6.4 miles.

Thursday

Had a lovely 10-hour sleep so felt very fresh this morning. Another strong run.

Time: 25:32
    Pace: 8:30min/mile
    HR: 166bpm

Cycling: Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: around 6.4 miles.

I changed the usual order of my runs this week as I've got the half-marathon in Galway on Sunday. It was kinda of a mini-taper. The 7-miler on Tuesday gave me great confidence. The plan for Sunday is to do a 10-minute warm-up (something I never do, the start of the run is the warm-up usually!). Would love to get under 1:55 but I've done no speedwork. Training on hills is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Best of luck on Sunday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck on Sunday :)

Now Im almost back in the land of the living we should hook up now and again for a couple of the midweek runs or something, since we are minutes away from each other and both training for Dublin, so will be doing pretty similar distances/runs

Go n-eirí leat ar an Domhnach, feicfidh mé ann tú!

Run Relay Half Marathon - 70.3 Ironman

Have a Garmin time of 1:56:31 for 13.34 miles, an average pace of 8:44min/mile which might be enough for a sub-1:55 race! Didn't press the button on the correct mat. No official time yet either.

Had a fantastic day, a lot of fun cheering on my team-mates for the swim and the cycle, and saw Ronanmac starting his cycle. Swim course was cut from 1900m to 750m because of the weather/regulations. Cycle course had a torrential downpour and a lot of headwind. So I had the easiest job of the day, 13.1 miles in the sun and wind!

Waiting for the cyclist, I was only a few slots down from Ray Darcy. Saw Ronanmac again a few minutes before the finish line :eek: Must have had a great time! I finally got started and ran through the transition, rows upon rows of expensive bikes, probably worth millions!

My plan was to do 8.45min/miles until I felt confident enough I could speed up to sustain 8.30min/miles. The headwind put a stop to that so I changed my strategy to doing all tailwind sections at 8.30 and the headwinds at 8.45. It worked out well until about mile 8. I don't know if the wind picked up or what but I couldn't sustain a good enough pace. Walked through all the nutrition stations. Too many bananas, got tired of the taste!

Some highlights:
    • Seeing a triathlete running with a t-shirt with "In Memory of my Donor" on the front. Wow!
    • Finishing with the run up the "chute", a tiny grandstand and loads of supporters on either side. I had a top-speed of 5:53min/mile!
    • Getting a half-Ironman relay t-shirt!
    Have a feeling I could have done better. But I didn't. Anyway, got some sort of PB so I should be happy :)

Distance: 13.34 miles
    Time: 1:56:31
    Pace: 8:44min/mile
    HR: 177bpm
    Garmin Link

Fair play Micilin, caught the end of the Ironman, must have some great feeling going through that chute with a crowd cheering you on.

Monday

Slept in bed until 2pm. Vital recovery time ;)

Tuesday

Cycle: Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Distance: 6.38 miles
    Time: 32:23
    Average Speed: 11.8 mph
    HR: 127bpm

Run: Rathmines - Lansdowne Road

4 miles is now my shortest run, no more 3-milers for me for a while! Was a mile from home when I remembered I hadn't brought some documents for work. Ran back home and then went straight to Lansdowne Road DART. Exactly 4 miles and was still sitting at my desk at 8am ;) My knee was hurting at the end :mad:

Time: 37:06
    Pace: 9:15min/mile
    HR: 162bpm

Wednesday

Cycle: Rathmines - Dún Laoghaire

Distance: 6.39 miles
    Time: 26:12
    HR: 131bpm

Run: Dún Laoghaire - Rathmines

Ran all the way home, plus a lap of Blackrock Park. Unfortunately I found two blood patches on my running top when I arrived home. Ow. My first time.

Distance: 8 miles
    Time: 1:20:33
    Pace: 10:04min/mile
    Climb: 40m
    HR: 153bpm
    Bloody Nipples: 2

Going to Wales on Saturday morning to see my brother take part in the (Full) Ironman in Pembrokeshire. Planning a 16-mile run along the cliffs along the coast. Can't wait!

Ouch sounds painful,haven't had the misfortune yet of suffering that..but well done on the marathon plan to date, its looking good so far.

Run Relay Half Marathon - 70.3 Ironman

Have a Garmin time of 1:56:31 for 13.34 miles, an average pace of 8:44min/mile which might be enough for a sub-1:55 race! Didn't press the button on the correct mat. No official time yet either.

Distance: 13.34 miles
    Time: 1:56:31
    Pace: 8:44min/mile
    HR: 177bpm
    Garmin Link

Well done on the PB, especially as the course seemed to measure long. I had it as 13.4 miles on my Garmin. Nice that you got the only sunny part of the day, but that wind coming around South Park was nasty!

Didn't do the 16-mile run as planned in Wales: my knee was too sore and I was too busy anyway supporting my brother in the Ironman.

My last run was on Thursday and I thought my knee would be OK again by Sunday or Monday, but it never improved. I really felt it walking up the hills in Tenby.

It may be very different to a marathon, but seeing the state of some people during the Ironman made me think about my running and made me realise that I value being able to run in the long-term more than I value running the DCM in 2011. I'm looking to get an appointment with my physio this weekend and see what he says. I don't think I can be overly-cautious.

In the mean-time I'm going to do the 16-mile LSR tonight, but if the knee hurts me like it did last week, I'm going to stop immediately and get a bus home or something.

In other news, I'm now the brother of an Ironman :cool: Sub-14 hours and the marathon section wasn't a bother to him!

In other news, I'm now the brother of an Ironman :cool: Sub-14 hours and the marathon section wasn't a bother to him!

Greatness by association :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Did the 16-mile LSR I missed at the weekend. Ran from Rathmines to the Phoenix Park and did about 10 miles in the Park. My knee did hurt me, but it wasn't that bad. Nutrition-wise, I had 2 litres of diluted orange in my platypus and drank from it every 30 minutes, and had a banana after 60 minutes and another at 120 minutes. Legs were like jelly at the end and swallowed a big plate of spaghetti bolognese in about 4 minutes!!

I feel very relieved that I did this run as I knew how important this LSR was. Since I did a half-marathon race instead of a 15-mile LSR at the end of Week 10, I knew this run was going to be big! Thank God for Week 12's LSR of 12 miles! Will probably do it on Monday now, unless the physio says otherwise. Currently I'm only one day behind in my training.

Distance: 16 miles
    Time: 2:55:40
    Pace: 10:58min/mile
    Climb: 154m
    HR: 154bpm

Advertisement