Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Friday
    Running: Rest. Will do some kind of run tomorrow, maybe with a few tempo miles, depending on how the legs feel after today:

Cycling: 120.12km ... erm ... "commuting". Did 30km on the commute in and 90km on the journey home. I chose a long spin over a shortish run in the evening as I had a busy week and just wanted a change of scenery before I'm hounded left, right and centre! And scenery is what I got. I took the N59 all the way out to Maam Cross, down towards Casla and Carraroe and back to Spiddal with the wind at my back. Perfect day for it.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|355.46|17.39
    MTD|836.52.40|106.04
    YTD|3049.21|465.87

Stopped to get a pic today of the longest placename in Ireland, Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile

a64e1e1ac72111e39e550002c9c665aa_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

MM,

If that's your shadow beside the rock you're one skinny odd shaped fecker!

TbL

MM,

If that's your shadow beside the rock you're one skinny odd shaped fecker!

TbL

Haha no, that's my bike, 'Fáinse' (I name all my bikes!) :-) Kind of wished I lived closer to Uachtar Ard now after seeing the area today. Lots of potential for offroad and hills!

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday
    Running: 7.8km recovery run commute. Ran a bit too fast. No harm as it was all downhill anyway.

Cycling: 31.5km commute. Nice and handy.

Wednesday AM
    Running: 25.05km Long run commute to work. Had to stop a few times at the start to fix my playlist which threw off my rhythm. Was quite tired 10km in, but not enough to encourage me to hop on a bus. Took a walking break going up Shop Street so I could have some Lucozade and a Rice Krispie Square. The sugar hit me straight away which made the last few uphill miles easier. Ran past the same city bus about 4 times :) Glad to have gotten this run in before my break.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|31.49|32.85
    MTD|868.01|138.89
    YTD|3080.70|497.71

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Many many congrats to you and your lovely bride.
    The photos look great, just wondering if you considered running on the day..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Many many congrats to you and your lovely bride.
    The photos look great, just wondering if you considered running on the day..........

He mightn't have run but he's still lurking around, I sent him a pm asking if he wanted to run with me today, and the feckers lame excuse was that he got married yesterday :)

Start as you mean to go on man!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Huge congrats :)

Thanks lads, you're very kind :)

Yes, I did consider it and had planned to do a 10km that morning, just so I could have a few last minutes of peace ;) Unfortunately some last-minute bits and pieces cropped up so I guess I had to prioritise.

Thursday
    No running or cycling.

Friday

Cycling: 65km at about 28km/h. My brother was in town so we went for a spin on my commuting routes. He's a decent cyclist and triathlete so the average speed was quite fast. Unfortunately I didn't have my Garmin with me.

26th April to May 11th was my two-week break from running and cycling. It just so happened to coincide with my honeymoon to Bali ;) I didn't pack any runners with me as I didn't want to be tempted. I ate well every day, having had a butler to cook a fry every morning, and then eating in restaurants every lunch and dinner. I didn't drink any beer or cider because of the heat (28 degrees average), but had coconut water, cocktails and alcoholic milkshakes instead.

I gave in to temptation on the 12th day and did a run down the beach to the main resort town of Kuta and back again, 10.5km. I ran barefoot (definitely not a good idea judging by the stiff feet ever since), and wore my Penney's Finest Bermuda shorts, still more comfortable than some of my Skins and Nike shorts.

On the long flight two weeks ago from London to Kuala Lumpur my feet swelled up to the size of those of a small elephant despite doing a few exercises and wearing flight socks. With my family being prone to Deep Vein Thrombosis I was a bit more careful on the flight home and did leg-stretching exercises every hour. The result was a lot better this time.

Wednesday
    Running: 6km recovery up the local bog road. I actually didn't break a sweat thanks to the reduced temperature :)

My plan for the next week and bit is to lose what I can of the holiday weight and to be ready for the IMRA Wicklow Way Relay on Saturday 24th. I'm on a team of midpackers including PaulieC and my cousin so there's a little bit of pressure not to mess up. My leg is the longest, at 20km+.

Long-term it looks like I'll be on an 18-week marathon training plan for DCM from the end of June, aiming for 3:0x :D

Some snaps from the run in Bali

10358289_496493613811412_187621103_n.jpg

10369561_662982427110054_988250890_n.jpg

926761_306132136218418_137321196_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

My plan for the next week and bit is to lose what I can of the holiday weight and to be ready for the IMRA Wicklow Way Relay on Saturday 24th. I'm on a team of midpackers including PaulieC and my cousin so there's a little bit of pressure not to mess up. My leg is the longest, at 20km+.

Long-term it looks like I'll be on an 18-week marathon training plan for DCM from the end of June, aiming for 3:0x :D

No pressure on the WWR. If we all get there on the day, I'll consider that a success :D.

Statss and I are also aiming for 3:0x DCM times. (where x >= 5). Some more company on the day will be nice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

yeah and we've started into this plan....you'd be well able for it...and it's been good so far comparing our paces for the sessions...you could pick it up at Week 22 starting next week...all easy runs to get you going....or week 18 as per your plan above...

2rwkec4.png

Thanks a lot for that Statss. I'm a good bit off 56 miles p/w at the moment. Before my break I was averaging 35-mile weeks. I'm a bit wary of making such a jump in weekly mileage.

Is that from the new JD book? If there's a lower mileage plan I'll download it and have a look!

yeah I just edited my post after re reading your plan, you could build up to 55 over the next little while and jump in wherever....it's not a million miles away from what you'd be use too.

Yeah there's a <40 + 41-55 plans in the book aswell. To be honest I'm barely meeting the milage goals myself but the sessions are doable. The lower plans are similar just less reps in the sessions

That's me sold on a JD plan, a lot more flexibility than with P&D. The 41-55 plan would suit me best as realistically I'll be doing a lot of bike commuting. If it all goes wrong I can blame you ;)

no pressure so! yeah that's why I went with it - only 2 key sessions a week you make the rest up easy miles yourself.

Thursday
    No run, forgot to bring runners to work.

Cyclng: 62.6km commuting. Cycle in was quite fast despite feeling like crap. Cycle home was slow, as a result of feeling crap.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|62.6|16.08
    MTD|62.6|16.08
    YTD|3234.43|513.08

Today is a day of rest, with maybe a pint or two tonight. Will do a medium-long run in the morning, probably around 21km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Today is a day of rest, with maybe a pint or two tonight. Will do a medium-long run in the morning, probably around 21km or so.

Eh, what happened to our Parkrun date tomorrow morning in Knocknacarra??:rolleyes:

Any jobs going in Bali for Gaeilge translators...?
    Also, what's the idea of flashing your groin at us in those photos??:eek:

belcarra wrote: »
    Eh, what happened to our Parkrun date tomorrow morning in Knocknacarra??:rolleyes:

Any jobs going in Bali for Gaeilge translators...?
    Also, what's the idea of flashing your groin at us in those photos??:eek:

Totally forgot about Parkrun! 9.30am is it? Fancy a 15km cooldown afterwards?

Totally forgot about Parkrun! 9.30am is it? Fancy a 15km cooldown afterwards?

I won't be able to join you for that cooldown unfortunately, and even for the race run I'll be taking it handy so it might be a case of briefly chatting to you before or after!

How's the hamstring?

• Advertisement

How's the hamstring?

Slowly recovering. Also have ITBS going on which I reckon caused the hamstring issues in the first place.
    Started into a big focus on S&C a couple of evenings ago and hoping to continue this throughout the Summer and see real benefit.
    I'll probably forget all about it after the weekend though!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Started into a big focus on S&M a couple of evenings ago and hoping to continue this throughout the Summer and see real benefit.

FYP
    So how's the running going???

yaboya1 wrote: »
    FYP
    So how's the running going???

I actually changed the wording of my post from 'nights' to 'evenings' so as to try and avoid this sort of gutter humour!:pac:

I'm sure the running will improve when I ease back on the S&M!

Friday
    Rest

Saturday - Parkrun debut - Knocknacarra
    As can be seen above in my log, I was very unprepared - no 5km-pace running in my legs for the previous 5 weeks. I wasn't expecting much. Having arrived 60 minutes before the race I would have expected to have done a warm-up of a few kms and/or strides, but I met some neighbours and other members from the triathlon club and just got distracted. I think I met martyboy48 from these parts. Belcarra was down with his Parkrun visa too who informed me I should be in the top 5 finishers based on last week's results eek.png

I lined myself up in the front row (I get the impression that Parkrun isn't formal enough for the usual etiquette of lining up) and was top 3 for the first few hundred metres. As usual I went out too fast and tried slowing down as soon as I could. My Garmin HRM was falling down to my waist for some reason (I definitely put on weight on holiday confused.png) so I took it off and threw it where I had left my bag. By the start of the 2nd km I was down to 6th place which was fine with me. Nobody was passing me and I wasn't catching up either. After a while I couldn't hear anyone behind me.

Kms #3 and 4 were quite lonely too and my pace had been dropping considerably, but still couldn't hear anyone. By the start of the 5th km I could hear some footsteps behind me so I tried upping the pace but there wasn't much there. With about 500m to go I was overtaken by two runners (one of them a tri-clubmate) and dropped to position number 8. They got away from me briefly but I had a little bit of a kick left that would last about 100m. Not knowing where the finish line was I totally mis-timed it and blew my chances at regaining the two places and finished in 8th out of 136, in 21 mins and 13 secs.

It was good fun being part of the front of the race and it has me hungry to do better next time smile.png The course is quite nice too, and despite having a few turns (about 20 corners and turns within the first full lap) and a few steep 'embankments' to climb, I don't think it's excessively slow and makes the race interesting.

Placing: 8/136 (top 5%eek.png)
    Time: 21:13
    Average pace: 4:16min/km (6:51min/mile)

I went up to the community centre for coffee and a chat and then headed back home for a sort of a 13km cooldown. Pretty soon I knew the run would be difficult so I just took it handy. Average pace for the cooldown was 6:11min/km. Last night I was in bits and in the morning I was stiffer than I was after a few of my previous marathons.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|62.77|34.15
    MTD|62.77|34.15
    YTD|3234.60|531.86

Sunday
    Rest and yoga.

Plan for this week is to do as little cycling as possible, and start off the week tomorrow with a long run of about 20km at the most, tapering off from there until the WWR on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Was nice meeting you and glad you enjoyed the run. Still possibility of the route being tweaked, still some confusion by some runners. Actually think I took a wrong turn last week, about a 200 meter shortcut :eek: Oh well :pac:
    Was Belcarra there?? Typical Mayo snobbery :eek::eek::D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Was Belcarra there?? Typical Mayo snobbery :eek::eek::D:D

Hey Martyboy, that wasn't snobbery it was classism!
    Know your place non Mayo people!!:pac::pac:

Hey Martyboy, that wasn't snobbery it was classism!
    Know your place non Mayo people!!:pac::pac:

What is it with Mayo people and their insecurity ... ;)

Monday
    Yoga: 30 minutes @ 6am.

Cycling:
    31.5km commuting.

Running:
    8km recovery run commute. I had everything organised so I could run all the way home from town (believe me, there are a lot of logistics involved with run-bike-lift-bus commuting a 25km journey), but I was still very tight from Saturday so a recovery run was all I was able for.

My range of movement was very reduced for the first few kms, but after a while the muscles started cooperating and towards the end I was feeling better than I was when I started. Guess that's why they call it a recovery run.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|31.50|8.21
    MTD|94.27|42.36
    YTD|3266.10|540.07

I'm debating what distance I'll run tomorrow morning to work. The minimum I can do is 13km due to the bus timetable, but a 19km run would be a good psychological boost before the race on Saturday. Decisions, decisions.

Tuesday
    Running: 6.3km recovery run at lunchtime. I woke up late, and my legs were still sore from Saturday. Got the bus and shared a taxi instead of a run commute and then ran a recovery run at lunchtime. Probably for the better.

I was supposed to cycle home but got a lift instead because of the thunder and lightning.

Wednesday
    Cycling: 31.5km commuting. Got a PR on the Spiddal-Moycullen Road.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|63|14.54
    MTD|125.77|48.69
    YTD|3297.60|546.41

Going to take a rest from running today and take the bus home from work. This recovery has taken 4 days now, and it's just from a 5km race (and a 13km cooldown ;)) I ran The Stick over my quads and hamstrings last night and they are still quite tender. I'll try that again tonight with a bit of yoga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

do that, just remember what's waiting for you on Saturday. On the other hand, the t-shirts turned out quite nice :D

Iron Bridge Cross Bridge 19k 651m

Advertisement