Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday
    Cycling: 210km Galway to Dublin. 30.3km/h average.

:eek:

Jaysus - thats some cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Wednesday
    Cycling: 29.6km commuting

Thursday
    Cycling: 31km commuting

Running: 6.4km recovery run at lunchtime. Heart-rate low, pace faster. Nice to have a drop in the temperature!

I'm developing some kind of pain in my upper arm. It doesn't hurt when I run or cycle, but I can hardly lift my arm above my shoulder :confused: It's been there for about 3 weeks now. Might have to get it seen to next week.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|157.12|20.29
    MTD|689.15|86.67
    YTD|4419.87|664.42

Friday
    Running: 5km Fun Run. 2nd position in 20:49.

I took it easy on Wednesday and Thursday so that I would be more fresh for the fun run. Race start was 4pm so I ate an earlier lunch (11.45am) so that I wouldn't be as sluggish. It was only a fun run for my company with 30 or so participants, so I avoided doing a warm-up so that I wouldn't look too 'pro'! It's a big enough company that I actually only knew two people taking part.

Once we were off I avoided leading the race, unlike what happened at the Knocknacarra Parkrun several weeks ago when I went off way too fast. I sat on the shoulder of a colleague who has the same hairstyle as Statss and eased into the pace, doing the first km in 4:07. I had no idea what kind of runner Pseudo-Statss was, so I just said I'd stay on his shoulder for as long as possible.

Second km was 4:06 and third in 4:26, mostly an incline and into the wind. Pseudo-Statss opened up the pace in the 4th km and I stayed with him. I didn't think my breathing was as laboured as his, so psychologically I thought I had the upper hand. The fourth 4km in 3:57.

Just before the start of the 5th km, we started lapping the first of the walkers which broke us into single file. At this point he just went for it. I knew that I didn't have it in me to keep up the pace for another km which was the incline and headwind again. Third place runner was a good minute behind, so I decided to cut my losses and not push myself harder than I needed to, finishing the final 900 metres (short course) in 4:33 for second place.

It was good fun being the front of a race for so long, albeit a slower race of course. Pseudo-Statss only ran his first marathon last year in 3:3x, and got a 19:2x in one of the recent Galway 5k Series races, so he's got a lot of improvement to make!

Cycling: 29.5km commuting. I had a cider and a few burgers after the race for the company summer BBQ, so I was well-fed and hydrated for the cycle home at 9.15pm. I just caught the sunset when I hit the top of my favourite hill which has a view of the Twelve Pins and Maamturks 50km away. Really loved this cycle!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|186.84|25.21
    MTD|718.87|91.59
    YTD|4449.58|669.34

I'm quite decided on my marathon plan for this year's DCM, starting next week. I'll do the JD 2Q up to 40 miles/pw plan. I have too many things going on to do a higher mileage plan. PaulieC and the real Statss have the same goal on the longer plans so it'll be an interesting experiment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work in the 5k :D How's your arm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

that fella must have been fierce good looking :pac:

I think you'll enjoy the sessions in the plan.

• Advertisement

Nice work in the 5k :D How's your arm?

Thanks! My arm is still not right :confused: I've a feeling it's do with my shockingly bad posture, or from cycling, or from both. That's the last thing I want to hear from my physio when I go this week!
    statss wrote: »
    that fella must have been fierce good looking :pac:

I think you'll enjoy the sessions in the plan.

What's the craic with the long runs in the 2Q plan?!! There are none!

The longest distance is only 15 miles and the longest time is only 130 minutes :confused:

Thanks! My arm is still not right :confused: I've a feeling it's do with my shockingly bad posture, or from cycling, or from both. That's the last thing I want to hear from my physio when I go this week!

What's the craic with the long runs in the 2Q plan?!! There are none!

The longest distance is only 15 miles and the longest time is only 130 minutes :confused:

If I were I'd do the sessions from the higher mileage plan, which have longer long runs, and just fill in easy run miles when you can. You'd be well able for the sessions. Also, I'm not limiting my long runs to time, this week for instance its "17 miles or X amount of minutes", but I'll be aiming to get 17 miles done.

Definitely, I can't figure out the reasoning behind the lower mileage plans. Even if the plan prepares you physically for the marathon, the lack of 20-milers (or even 18-milers) can't help your confidence towards the end of the race.

I nearly jumped ship to P&D 55 again!

Definitely, I can't figure out the reasoning behind the lower mileage plans. Even if the plan prepares you physically for the marathon, the lack of 20-milers (or even 18-milers) can't help your confidence towards the end of the race.

I nearly jumped ship to P&D 55 again!

yeah that's why I snuck in a 20 miler myself last week, good to have it in the bank. With this plan, I've been finding the regular M pace runs very challenging yet enjoyable, they are a massive confidence booster. Next week for instance I've to do 30E + 14M - now that's a solid marathon prep workout/long run.

I won't be offended if you go back to P & D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

statss wrote: »
    Next week for instance I've to do 30E + 14M - now that's a solid marathon prep workout/long run.

That's a decent session right there.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's a decent session right there.

30E + 14M, eighteen weeks out!! That's insane!

30E + 14M, eighteen weeks out!! That's insane!

actually, I was looking too far ahead in the plan, it's only 4E+12M next week (not 30 miles @ E pace, + 14 @ M :pac: )

2rwkec4.png

After much to-ing and fro-ing, I'm going to proceed from today with the P&D 55-mile plan. The first week of the JD plan was 64km with all easy, unspecified runs anyway, no adjustments to make.

Monday
    Running: 17.3km Medium-Long Run. Ran from work and took my phone GPS with me to do a completely new route, across two national roads and over to the shore of Loch Coirib at Menlo. The roads are quiet over there, and not too far from my office. Run felt very easy. Pushed myself on the last hill and it appears I've improved since I did hill repeats here.

Cycling: 61.07km commuting.

Tuesday
    Running: 6km recovery run just after work. Pace felt easy again.
    Cycling: 61.23km commuting

Wednesday
    Running: 10km recovery run, again just after work. Nothing to report.
    Cycling: 61.26km commuting

Thursday
    Running: 6.35km recovery run at lunchtime. Recovery pace is gradually getting faster.
    Cycling: 50.22km commuting. Rear axle is shot, left the bike in to get serviced.

Friday
    Running: 24.8km Long run commute in to work. Got up at 5am and left at 5.20, no breakfast, just a little water. Brought a new running backpack. It's smaller than my last one, a good incentive to pack light. It's hard to compare paces when wearing the backpack though, so I just stick to heart rate. Didn't have a sip of liquid until 19km (all shops are closed early in the morning!) I walked into one shop whose doors were open for suppliers, asked them if they were open, they looked at the clock, laughed and said "not for another two hours!" Cheers!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|233.78|64.73
    MTD|952.65|156.33
    YTD|4683.36|734.08

Saturday
    Cycling: 88km spin. The first 16km were on mountain bike, including a lap of the trails in Killarainey in Moycullen. I have lost all sense of how to handle a mountain bike! Left the bike in to get serviced, picked up my road bike from its servicing, and headed up to Maam Cross and then down to Casla and back to Spiddal. A cracking day. This summer in the west is rivaling last summer for weather!

Sunday
    Rest

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|322.06|64.73
    MTD|1040.93|156.33
    YTD|4771.64|734.08

Monday
    Running: 21.6km Medium-long run commute home. Hot hot hot! Heart rate way above normal. Pace was decent enough though, average of 5:17min/km (8:30min/mile). Toenail causing me issues.

Cycling: 31.48km commuting.

Tuesday AM
    Running: 6.1km recovery commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|31.48|27.7
    MTD|0|6.07
    YTD|4803.12|761.78

I've made a few changes to how I'm following P&D 55. Essentially I'm just going to loosely follow the mileage and a few of the marathon-pace sessions. I'm not going to even bother with most of the recovery runs as I already do a lot of cross-training.

I also think I have to adapt my training to my circumstances, and do most of my training as commuting. Due to the distance involved this might mean 1 or 2 more Medium-Long runs per week. It's the only way I can do it without spending a fortune on buses or wasting time in traffic. I'll have to focus a lot on recovery ...

Tuesday PM
    Cycling: 34.5km commuting. Took the long route home so I could take in the steepest hill in the area, Moycullen 'Back Hill' as it's called on Strava.

Wednesday
    Running: 6km recovery + 30min bus journey + 1.22km at LT pace. You won't see that in any training plan! Had to get to the bike shop before closing :)

Cycling: 18.63km including a miserly 3km on the MTB trails in Moycullen. I was a bit better than I was on Saturday, despite wet tree roots and rocks etc. I stepped off the bike at one point as I misjudged the trail. Took one step forward and my foot slipped on a root and landed on my other knee with the bike on top of me. 99% of my bike injuries have happened off the bike :pac:

Thursday AM
    Cycling: 31.4km commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|116.01|34.94
    MTD|84.53|13.31
    YTD|4887.65|769.02

Carlingford Lough Endurance Challenge is on this Saturday, so I reckon I'll go for a hilly 10km run straight after my bike commute home, just to get used to the sensation of running just off the bike.

My weight is down at the moment to 72.3kg. This needs to drop if I'm going to run 3:0x in DCM. I had a blood sample taken last night for a food intolerance test. Will be a few weeks before I get a result.

was the blood sample in a doc's or some kinda clinic - thinking of getting something similar for my daughter (regarding food intolerance).

was the blood sample in a doc's or some kinda clinic - thinking of getting something similar for my daughter (regarding food intolerance).

Was in my kitchen! Just a pinprick from my finger. One of my in-laws is a dietitian.

It wasn't an allergy test, just an intolerance test, so even if I'm slightly intolerant to a food, I will probably be allowed to have it in small doses. Just hoping it's not dairy or wheat! Nothing better than a pint of milk and a round of toast after a long run.

Some people swear by the results, others take them with a pinch of salt (unless they're actually allergic ;) ), but I'd say it can't do any harm just trying it out. My blood sample will be analysed by a lab in Wicklow, so it's not as if the results vary from dietitian to dietitian I think.

Thursday PM
    Cycling: 30.4km commuting. Took a new road home with an extremely annoying never-ending hill. By the time I got home, a dinner was presented to me, so my chances of running a 10km recovery went out the window :rolleyes: :)

Friday
    Rest and travelling to Carlingford.

Saturday - Carlingford Lough Endurance Challenge
    Position: #3

I entered the race with my brother as a substitute race for the cancelled X-Terra (off-road triathlon), registering in the 2-person MTB team category (other categories being tarmac or MTB, solo, three-person, and a relay) . CLEC is a 48km adventure race over 9 stages including 14km of hill and trail running, 31km of MTBing and a 1.6km kayak section.

The 2-person teams must leave every checkpoint at the same time, so it's important to pair with someone of a similar ability. My brother has a lot more experience with MTBing, and me with the trail running, so we were very evenly matched and probably pushed each other forward. Most of the participants were taking part in the 'tarmac' version of the event, and there were also some teams doing the event in the relay category, so it's very much a case of sticking within your own limits and not competing with everyone around you.

The morning of the race was easy as we pitched our tents 10 metres from the transition area! We both had a bad night's sleep but were otherwise relaxed. There was a threat of heavy rain but ended up being a scorcher all day.

Stage 1 hilly trail run had an immediate climb from the off and was a tough start, although shortened from previous installments of the race. I ran part of the forest road section last year with Belcarra and knew that were no surprises, just a warmup stage really ;) Lovely trails in the woods above Carlingford village.

Stage 2 MTB was mostly on forest road, a little bit of singletrack, and a good bit of road. With the field spread out and the 'tarmac' participants on a different route, the teams became more obvious, including the eventual 4th place finishers in our 2-person category. The stage ended with a steep climb up to the Windy Gap. We passed a good few people just before the next transition.

Stage 3 hill run was a steep out-and-back 1km climb and descent up to Fox's Rock. I used my stronger climbing ability to get to the summit and stamp our card before my bro arrived. Got a chance to take in the views and could see the Dublin Mountains way off in the distance. The descent was very runnable.

Stage 4 was very very easy, all of it on road. It was a good opportunity to eat and drink before the next run and the following stages. Just before we arrived at the next transition, the overall leaders were finishing Stage 5.

Stage 5 Forest Road was 90% on rough forest road. We had a very good pace here, 5:23min/km (8:40min/mile). Probably the hottest part of the day too.

Stage 6 MTB was where the craic really started. One kilometre and then we were out onto open mountain and trails. A few sections were technical and un-rideable, including one with a ridiculous gradient of 11% on trail. On the far side of the mountain we started a steep descent where both of us came off the bike at the exact same time in the exact same way - too much skidding and our rear wheels both came out to the side and went from under us. Great fun though! Another kilometre or so of road, and then we were up onto the trails along the base of Sliabh Foy. The descent from Maeve's Gap to Carlingford was a lot of fun, reaching speeds of 43km/hr on trail :eek:

Stage 7 run was only a short 1.1km run to the kayak section. I was quite surprised that my brother was able to run as 'fast' as we did, 4:38min/km. Got lots of strange looks from the locals!

Stage 8 kayak. I have no idea if we were good or not (does 1.6km at 5.8km/h in a two-person kayak mean anything to anyone around here?!!) At least we didn't capsize!

Stage 9 run to the finish line. More strange looks from the locals. No sprint finish, although we did finish strongly. A good crowd there to greet us and feed us!

We finished in our category in 3rd, just a few minutes behind the 2nd place finishers. The 1st team back were an hour ahead of us! Will be back next year for a better finish position :)

Overall time: 4hr 45mins
    Overall distance: 48km
    Position #3

Went out for a few pints on Saturday with some of the other people who were there for the race, some of whom I realised I had spoken to at other races. Very interesting people, some who actually work in the adventure racing business. A nice way to make a living! Don't know what time I made it home to the tent!

Sunday
    Cycling: 25km on the mountain bike on the trails in Rostrevor. Underfed and dehydated, we only arrived in Rostrevor in the heat of the day at midday. Even upon arrival you could tell the trail centre was a very well-organised place, with secure carparking for MTBers, an uplift service to the top of the mountain for the downhill MTBers, a bike rental service, showers and a café. The trails themselves have got something for everyone. A steep initial 12% climb, photo opportunities for the sightseers including the aptly named Kodak Corner, Black-category trails for the downhillers (went nowhere near these trails, thanks very much!), rock gardens, boardwalk sections, tight switchbacks. A lot of things Coillte Outdoors could learn from, including how to generate income from the mountain biking industry and its potential in Ireland. Anyway, we had a good day, finishing the red trail in 2hrs 25mins :) I won't be selling the mountain bike just yet!

Strava link

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|203.02|50.24
    MTD|171.54|28.61
    YTD|4974.66|784.32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done on the race. Sounds like ye had great fun. How did you find the kayak section? Have you done it before with your brother?

• Advertisement

jaysus - tired reading that.
    Sounds great - well done on that!

@careermove I did canoeing and other watersports when I was younger, but never two-person kayaking. The main thing about kayaking in pairs is to have the lighter person to the front, and that person setting the rhythm. It's important that both kayakers enter their paddles in the water at the same time, otherwise you'll waste energy and work against each other. And make sure you sit with your back 90 degrees to your legs, doesn't matter how uncomfortable it is at first!

I spoke to some people on Saturday about the Beast - I'm very impressed with what you're about to undertake! Have you had a chance to take the bike out on some singletrack trails yet? It would be good to get a bit of experience, very different from road biking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

@careermove I did canoeing and other watersports when I was younger, but never two-person kayaking. The main thing about kayaking in pairs is to have the lighter person to the front, and that person setting the rhythm. It's important that both kayakers enter their paddles in the water at the same time, otherwise you'll waste energy and work against each other. And make sure you sit with your back 90 degrees to your legs, doesn't matter how uncomfortable it is at first!

I spoke to some people on Saturday about the Beast - I'm very impressed with what you're about to undertake! Have you had a chance to take the bike out on some singletrack trails yet? It would be good to get a bit of experience, very different from road biking!

Thanks that's good to know. Any more tips on the kayaking would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if we'll get an opportunity to practise that much. If I used the rowing machine in the gym would it be any help?

I've done 4 days (about 10 hours) on the Ballyhoura trails (mostly singletrack) with Shotgun over the last few months. It's very different to road biking alright. Much more fun!!!

Monday
    Running: 24km Long run commute home. Started off feeling stiff, loosened up after about 10km. I picked up the pace a bit too, mostly 5:00min/km (8min/mile). About 2km from home I started feeling quite sick. I put it down to the heat and the lack of water (didn't drink any water at all during this run). Just as I stopped, I turned around to see my wife driving up the road towards me for a well-timed lift home :)

Tuesday
    Cycling: 135.5km spin/commute. On the way home, I met up with my former physio who's doing an Irish course back in An Cheathrú Rua. We did the Maam Cross > Casla > Spiddal loop. My rear shifter gave in about 50km from home and got stuck in the hardest gear. Good training though! Just as I arrived back in Spiddal again, I was only 5km short of a 100km spin, so I cycled up to the top of the hill towards Moycullen and back again just to round it off :pac:

Wednesday
    Cycling: 55.4km commuting, gear still stuck. Hard work!

Thursday
    Rest. Not feeling too good today - sore throat, sore quads, underslept, lacking in energy. I had four hard days' training in a row from Saturday to Tuesday. Just going to rest up until I feel better. Probably won't do anything at the weekend either. Motivation is still high though!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|191.01|23.46
    MTD|362.55|52.08
    YTD|5165.67|807.78

No running or cycling in 6 days due to chest infection and head cold. I couldn't afford to go to the doctor twice in one week (had another non-related issue last week), so recovery was probably slower without antibiotics. Also, my bike has been in repair since Saturday, but I don't think I would have tried cycling with a chest infection.

Wednesday
    Running: 3.4km
    Was supposed to collect the bike yesterday evening but it wasn't ready yet. It totally messed up my commuting plans, so I ended up running 2kms, getting a taxi, and then another 1km once taxi was stuck in traffic, just so I wouldn't miss the last bus home (last bus is at 6pm :mad:). I have a driver theory test booked for the end of the month :)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|0|3.34
    MTD|362.55|55.41
    YTD|5165.67|811.12

Thursday
    Running:8.7km recovery. Heart rate higher than normal.

Cycling: 14.9km. Picked up my bike from the bike shop following some repairs - now have a new chain, cassette and chain rings. I need to take better care of the drivetrain as the last one was fairly worn.

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Running: 18.8km Medium-long run from Rathfarnham up to Fairy Castle and back. I didn't push the pace, but Strava tells me it was my second fastest run on this route in 2 years at the peak of my running fitness.

Sunday
    Rest

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|14.9|30.9
    MTD|377.5|82.98
    YTD|5180.62|838.69

I need to pull the finger out on this plan for DCM. I'm getting faster and losing weight, but I really need to follow a plan and not fall into the trap of making it up as I go along.

Jumping into P&D 33-55 Week 5 now.

Monday
    Cycling: 61.78km commuting

Tuesday
    Running: 12.85km with 5km at LT pace. Heart rate was low despite the heat and the bag on my back. Had planned 14km but was running late.

Cycling: 31.41km commuting

Wednesday AM
    Running: 14.74km run commute. The plan was 23km but I abandoned it after nearly 15km. I was a little bit stiff from yesterday's run, and I just felt like crap. Abandoning runs is not a habit to get into :(

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|93.19|27.59
    MTD|470.69|110.57
    YTD|5273.81|866.28

Jumping into P&D 33-55 Week 5 now.

Wednesday AM
    Running: 14.74km run commute. The plan was 23km but I abandoned it after nearly 15km. I was a little bit stiff from yesterday's run, and I just felt like crap. Abandoning runs is not a habit to get into :(

All is not lost. I was reading the wrong f€ckin' schedule (55-70 instead of 33-55) :rolleyes:

I just have to run 10km between tomorrow and Friday and I'll be back on track.

Wednesday PM
    Cycling: 31km commuting home

Thursday
    Cycling: 62km commuting

Friday
    Running: 11.74km run. I was supposed to do 18km or so, but had to finish up early for my lift to Dublin. The tar on the road was melting too!

Saturday & Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Running: 25.4km long run with 13km @ MP. I usually do these by heart rate percentage of max, but I only received my new Garmin (310xt) this morning and didn't have a chance to set it up right. It turns out my poor maths skills were sufficient. My endurance needs to be improved. I've got the speed but tend to fade towards the end of my long runs.

Cycling: 31km commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|218.20|64.73
    MTD|595.70|147.71
    YTD|5398.82|903.42

I had a blood sample taken last night for a food intolerance test. Will be a few weeks before I get a result.
    It wasn't an allergy test, just an intolerance test, so even if I'm slightly intolerant to a food, I will probably be allowed to have it in small doses. Just hoping it's not dairy or wheat! Nothing better than a pint of milk and a round of toast after a long run.

Some people swear by the results, others take them with a pinch of salt (unless they're actually allergic ;) ), but I'd say it can't do any harm just trying it out. My blood sample will be analysed by a lab in Wicklow, so it's not as if the results vary from dietitian to dietitian I think.

I met the dietitian last night about the results of my test. I should completely avoid dairy, and limit my consumption of yeast and beef. I think I'll just pack in this whole running and cycling thing if I can't have a pint of milk! :pac:

The new regime started this morning. Recently I've been cycling to work on an empty stomach and then eating breakfast at work, which usually consisted of
    • 2 raspberry Yoplaits + a punnet of grapes;
    • grapefruit juice;
    • Frosties + milk;
    • chocolate croissant;
    • white coffee with 2 sugar.

To make this a healthier and a dairy-free breakfast, this morning I had:
    • 2 natural yogurt Yoplaits + a tub of chopped apple;
    • grapefruit juice;
    • 2 Weetabix + Soy Milk (at no extra cost in my canteen at work :cool:), not too sure about the Weetabix being the very healthiest cereal I could have;
    • hard-boiled egg;
    • lemon tea (free at the coffee stations at work).

It's not the worst breakfast in the world. The real test of the diet is what I drink when I arrive home from a long run or cycle. Any whey-based recovery drinks are completely out of the picture now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I disagree about Saturday being a rest day. Walking around Ikea is worse than doing an LSR

Advertisement