Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Took last week off running. Will do the same this week.

Took it a bit easier on the cycling Monday to Friday, went for a long spin on Saturday after a hard week at work.

Did 260km from Spiddal to Rathfarnham via the Sally Gap. Just over 9 hours of cycling. Saw lots of Ireland I had never seen before.

Spoke to a few cyclists on the way in Co. Laois, asking me "you're not from round here, are you?" Saw a bride walking out her front door in the middle of nowhere around here too. And one of those old gypsy caravans pulled by two horses and a tiny little dog running after it. The highlight was the Curragh in Kildare, it's like one big Phoenix Park! I also went by the Tough Mudder race in Punchestown and helped a few lost finishers with their bearings. The sun was setting on the valley west of the Sally Gap when I reached the top. Not a drop of rain all day long and a nice tailwind all the way! Perfect!

The 300km seems a lot easier now. Better not leave it too late or else I'll be cycling from before dawn to after sunset.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203246596

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Did 260km from Spiddal to Rathfarnham via the Sally Gap. Just over 9 hours of cycling. Saw lots of Ireland I had never seen before.

:eek: Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats Epic stuff - seriously Good stuff.
    Deserves more than a few lines!!

thats Epic stuff - seriously Good stuff.
    Deserves more than a few lines!!

Cheers!

I know it's criminal to say this on a running forum, but cycling seems to suit me better as a sport. 12 hours after finishing and I felt 90% recovered. Last night and today I feel 100% recovered. No injuries either. It feels really weird.

I don't know a fraction about cycling of what I know about running. I also don't know many cyclists, bar a few people in the triathlon club, so I haven't got many people to compare myself to. I'll do the 300km distance by the end of the year, and will get back into running before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I don't know a fraction about cycling of what I know about running.

you know that cycling is 90% easier than running :P

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    you know that cycling is 90% easier than running :P

I can't disagree with you, yet! I still haven't felt the sense of accomplishment that I've felt after doing a marathon, or after my run in the Twelve Bens last September.

An update with no update. I haven't run yet, too busy with other things for the next while. All shin pain has gone away, no other aches or pains at the moment. I'm doing plenty of cycling to keep the fitness up too. Looks like I'll be jobless for at least a few weeks from the end of November, will start running again then :)

Good luck to all doing the marathon in a few days, don't let the taper madness get to you ;)

An update with an update. The date has been set for my glorious return to the sport of running. I will run a slow and stiff 3km on Saturday 22nd November and continue with a couch to 5km style plan.

My imminent return will be marked by a change of job. From the start of December, my new job will be about 4 miles away from home, near some grass pitches and across the road from my local gym and pool. Really looking forward to getting back into it :D

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

An update with an update. The date has been set for my glorious return to the sport of running. I will run a slow and stiff 3km on Saturday 22nd November and continue with a couch to 5km style plan.

My imminent return will be marked by a change of job. From the start of December, my new job will be about 4 miles away from home, near some grass pitches and across the road from my local gym and pool. Really looking forward to getting back into it :D

Happy days!

Sounds like you can use the new job as a break from all the training you'll soon be doing...just nip away from an early morning cycle for a couple of hours in the office before a nice MLR at lunchtime followed by a few more hours in the office and a 90 minute session in the pool / bike ride in the evening.
    Deadly!:)

belcarra wrote: »
    Sounds like you can use the new job as a break from all the training you'll soon be doing...just nip away from an early morning cycle for a couple of hours in the office before a nice MLR at lunchtime followed by a few more hours in the office and a 90 minute session in the pool / bike ride in the evening.
    Deadly!:)

Haha, just don't tell my wife! It's likely I'll be going back to college to do another part-time Diploma or Masters, so I'm afraid my days of 16-hours of exercise a week might be coming to an end.

P.S. I still have your gloves :p

• Advertisement

Giz a shout the next time you are in Dublin and I'll meet you for a Parkrun or something.

Hello log!

Since my last update at the start of November, I have had a whole load of big changes which have taken over my life - two new jobs (one full-time in Galway, one part-time in Dublin), started another part-time Masters degree in Dublin, moved house again, elected club secretary in the tri club, but most importantly have started a new schedule for running and cycling etc!

I won't have much time for anything long-distance until the summer break in my part-time job and part-time masters. The new commute to the day job is only 5km direct, which is nice for running. I've worked out and tested a longer route for the mountain bike which involves about 4km on trail, 2km on open bog and 6km on back roads. It's good for getting the heart going, and could be a decent trail LSR route once there hasn't been days of downpours.

Some details for the log:

Cycling: I was well on track for cycling a total of 3,000km for November but unfortunately got struck down with some sort of bug during the one week I had between jobs. I can definitively say that I was at the peak of my fitness in November. I took December off and started back on the MTB last week on the new bog route. I lost a lot of fitness in that month and have developed a temporary wheeze following getting the heart rate above 75% of max.

Running: I have run twice in the past week. I ran 5km home from work on Tuesday, and then ran a mile on Thursday en route to the tri club AGM. Will try to run the 5km commute 3 times a week until the summer and I'll be happy with that. No races planned. Yet.

Monday
    Cycling: 5km commute.

Running: 5km run home. I have a tendency to start off too fast, with the result that each km is slower than the previous. It also doesn't help that I start and finish at the top of a hill.

Tuesday & Wednesday
    Too stormy for anything.

Thursday
    Cycling: Took advantage of the break in the weather to do a long route on the MTB with headlights after work. Did 30km in total with about 20km on backroads and 10km on rough bog roads and some open bog. Very low on the technical side of MTBing, but a good workout all the same.

Friday
    Running: 4.5km run commute.

Saturday & Sunday
    All work, no rest or play.

Monday
    Running: 4.5km run commute

Tuesday
    Running: 4.5km run commute. Cold, but at least my hands were warm thanks to Belcarra's gloves. (sorry man, but their fleecy goodness was too tempting).

Wednesday
    Cycling: 27km MTBing. More exploring. Have added more trails to my knowledge of the local network of bóithríní, including one only 400m from my house which cuts out a good bit of the main coast road. :) Perfectly suitable and challenging for MTBing and trail running.

Tuesday
    Running: 4.5km run commute. Cold, but at least my hands were warm thanks to Belcarra's gloves. (sorry man, but their fleecy goodness was too tempting).

When I saw your updated log I was about to ask for proof of life but I'm even more upset now that I see you have been wearing them!!:eek::eek::D

Thursday
    Running: 5.1km. Following on from my discovery on Wednesday of some bóithríní for trail running and MTBing, I found a booklet of maps at work which mark out a discontinued waymarked trail along the coast. After work I ran a mile down the road from my office and then took a left-hand turn at Furbo Beach and followed the trail for a mile and a half before joining up with the main coast road again just below the turn-off for my road. Mostly runnable, some climbing over boulders, a few small stony beaches (like Killiney) but it definitely satisfies my need of trail running!

Friday
    Running: 5.2km. Same idea as yesterday except this time I turned off only 500m from the office and ran all the way along the coast to Furbo Beach and then joined the main road.All runnable.

Saturday & Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Cycling: 4.6km to work

Running: 4.6km home via the coast road.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 21.4km MTBing, on road and trails. Took delivery of a garden shed today, I finally have a place for all my bikes and mucky gear :D

Wednesday

Running: 7.8km with 6.1km on coastal trail and bóithríní. Unfortunately 1km of the coast trail was gone and involved a lot of climbing over rocks and boulders. There's an exit onto the main road from the start of this crap bit which I'll take in future. No harm in trying it anyway.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to find trails that were right under my nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Would you mind post a link or map of the trail? Never came across it...

I've only run two parts of it:

https://www.strava.com/segments/8848339

and

https://www.strava.com/segments/8848360

According to my map there should be a trail all the way to Spiddal, but at least 1km of it is not runnable, probably due to the sea surges in January 2014.

I'll add to this info over the next few weeks.

Thursday, 29th
    Running: 4.5km run home.

Friday, 30th to Sunday, 1st
    Rest

Monday, 2nd
    Cycling: 4.5km commuting

Tuesday, 3rd
    Running: 4.5km commuting

Wednesday, 4th
    Cycling: MTB commute home, exploring more bóithríní, all dead-ends :(

Thursday, 5th
    Cycling: 4.5km commute in and 6.3km MTB commute home. I did more exploring and found another potential route on trail and open bog which could reduce my commute on main road to just 500m. Did too much walking with the bike this time though.

Friday, 6th
    Cycling: 4.5km commute
    Running: 5km after work

Monday, 9th
    Day off work :)

Cycling: 33km. Picked up my road bike from the office and headed off on the local loop. Just under 33km. Nearly died on the hills.

Running: 5.7km trail run to Spiddal. I ran another section of the coastal path. There are a few rocky bits which slow down the pace, but it's still enjoyable.

Took my old commuting bike out of storage and did a bit of maintenance on it. You can never have too many bikes at your disposal.

Tuesday, 10th
    Cycling: 10km commuting

Wednesday, 11th
    Cycling: 4.5km commuting

Thursday, 12th
    Rest

Friday, 13th
    Cycling: 12km MTB commute home on bóithríní. Nice to see the area in daylight for a change!

Saturday and Sunday
    Rest

• Advertisement

Three runs again last week, all 4.6km commutes. Three MTB cycles too, totalling 20km.

I've been doing a good bit of foam rolling on the calves and hamstrings, followed by very light stretching.

I had a look at my "training plan" there at the weekend, turns out I've been doing one run too few for the past three weeks. Will be doing four runs per week from today. The training plan is really just a rough schedule for me to slowly build up the distance again.

No niggles to complain about, just some weight I have to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

No niggles to complain about, just some weight I have to lose!

Lent is your friend.

5 runs over 2 weeks.

4 of them 4.6km commutes.
    1 was 6km.

8 MTB cycles over the same 2 weeks.
    1 on snow, 2 on bog & trails.

The next 5 weeks will be tough due to exams and part-time work. Slowly building the running distance and staying injury free is the goal.

Monday
    Running: 4.6km commute home @ recovery pace.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 34km on the MTB. Took a brand new route and found more useful trails. Found an old right of access that is way too overgrown, it's a shame as it would make an excellent route with spectacular scenery in one of the quietest parts of Conamara.

Wednesday
    Running: 6.3km 'long' run. Will keep this distance as my long run for the next 6 weeks or so.

Cycling: 4.6km commuting, the torrential rain washing sods of turf off my bike.

Thursday
    Cycling: 11.8km MTBing. A few walkers, runners and a young MTBer out on the bog road, usually don't see anyone on my trails!

Friday
    Cycling: 4.6km commuting.

Running: 5.3km run home, part of it along the coast. Lovely day for it.

Here's one of the bóithríní that leads down to the coastal trail.
    11005285_351516201720212_1948791258_n.jpg

Monday
    Running: 4.6km run commute to work.

Cycling: 9.7km MTB commute home.

Tuesday
    Rest (Study :()

Wednesday
    Cycling: 4.6km bike commute in.

Running: 6.2km run commute home.

Thursday
    Cycling: 11.8km MTB commute home. Getting faster on the more technical trails.

Friday
    Cycling: 4.6km commute to work. Partial eclipse could be seen quite clearly :)

10963796_445544712263653_352948940_n.jpg

Running: 6km run commute. Was heading to Dublin for the weekend to give a lecture, so ran to the city (in running gear) to meet the wife and then drive from there. It wasn't until an hour before the lecture the next day that I noticed that I hadn't packed a pair of trousers for the weekend. I had put my weekend bag in the car Friday morning, but had forgotten to pack a pair of trousers. Cue Penney's Rathfarnham to the rescue. This is one of the real perils of run commuting. Head = sieve.

Just nailing my colours to the mast for two races.

Rith Spraoi 5k in An Spidéal in two weeks' time, and the Terenure 5 Mile in May.

All my training is at recovery pace at the moment and will probably take it handy in the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Just nailing my colours to the mast for two races.

Rith Spraoi 5k in An Spidéal in two weeks' time, and the Terenure 5 Mile in May.

All my training is at recovery pace at the moment and will probably take it handy in the races.

Hey MM,

Is that a trail or road 5k in Spiddal, do you know the route?

Tnx

TbL

All on road and footpath. It starts at An Chéibh Nua (the longer pier), up to the main road, through the village to the crossroads, down to an tSeanchéibh and along the footpath to An Chéibh Nua, done three times. The footpath can get narrow at points! Registration at 11.15 in the secondary school, race at midday, Easter Monday, €10. It's being organised by the secondary school's Parents' Committee, so I imagine there could be a good few teenagers and families.

Monday
    Running: 4.6km run commute.
    Cycling: 11.7km MTB commute.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 10km MTB commute, some on the coastal trail.

Wednesday
    Running: 5.9km run commute.
    Cycling: 4.6km commute.

Thursday
    Cycling: 6.1km MTB commute, more coastal trail.

Friday
    Running: 5.5km run commute to work, part of it on the coastal trail. I only took 1.6km of trail but immediately I felt like I was a world apart from the busy main road :) Did some stretching in the 'gym' at work. It's amazing the difference stretching makes when you do it immediately after a run.

Off work for two weeks now to study for my exams. I may very well develop cabin fever. I might explore more of the coastal trail. I should take the road bike out for a spin too. But really I should study ;)

• Advertisement

Monday
    Running: 5.8km trail run

Tuesday
    Rest

Wednesday
    Running: 5.3km trail run
    Cycling: 11.8km MTBing

Thursday
    Rest

Used The Stick on my calves due to some soreness. I can most definitely attribute it to the trail running - it's the only thing I've done differently in the past 6 weeks.

Friday
    Running: 5.2km road run, moonlit :)
    Cycling: 9km round trip to village, attending tri club meeting. Lots of plans afoot!

So that's end of my first base phase which was 14 weeks of slow running and building distance to 16km per week.

The next phase is another 14 weeks of building the distance to 38km per week and increasing the frequency of my runs to 5 runs per week. Will introduce some strides to improve my biomechanics. The plan is just an application of Jack Daniels' principles which will get me up to the 18km (11-mile) long run distance by the end of the year without getting injured.

Lent is just over too. I have successfully given up sugar. Before Lent i was taking 4-5 cups of tea and coffee per day with 2 sugar in each, plus a can of fizzy drinks. Now I take 1-2 herbal teas with no sugar. My energy levels are a lot more stable now as a result!

Next up is the 5km Rás Spraoi an Spidéil on Monday. My first running race since last summer and fourth since DCM 2013 :o

Advertisement