Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday
    Running: 6.3km recovery run at lunchtime.

Cycling: 35.6km commuting. Got beeped at and nearly killed by a motorist towing a trailer who decided to overtake me on a blind corner with oncoming traffic. I was doing 45km/hr at the time in a 50km/h zone, and had just turned a few minutes previously on to the main coast road I swore I would never take again. Guess what, I'm never taking it again, again.

Friday
    Rest. Travelling to the big shmoke later for tomorrow's race. Legs now at 99%. Really looking forward to it!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|98.71|20.87
    MTD|161.47|55.01
    YTD|3333.30|552.73

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Cycling: 35.6km commuting. Got beeped at and nearly killed by a motorist towing a trailer who decided to overtake me on a blind corner with oncoming traffic. I was doing 45km/hr at the time in a 50km/h zone, and had just turned a few minutes previously on to the main coast road I swore I would never take again. Guess what, I'm never taking it again, again.

"This time it's different"...:cool:
    What leg are you doing?
    I might try and get out for a look but more likely not...

Only out of necessity will I take that road!

Leg 7, Iron Bridge to Cross Bridge, nearly into Co. Carlow! If you're interested there are a few teams looking for substitutes due to last-minute injuries. Unfortunately the IMRA site is down again.

I'm still thinking of doing that run in the Twelve Pins, maybe in August or September ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Only out of necessity will I take that road!

Leg 7, Iron Bridge to Cross Bridge, nearly into Co. Carlow! If you're interested there are a few teams looking for substitutes due to last-minute injuries. Unfortunately the IMRA site is down again.

I'm still thinking of doing that run in the Twelve Pins, maybe in August or September ...

Right now I'm struggling to run 6km slowly on the flat!:mad:

No updates recently due to dead laptop.

Saturday
    Wicklow Way Relay
    This is so far in the past now that it wouldn't do the race any justice to do a half-arsed attempt at a report. Suffice to say the day was very exciting driving from checkpoint to checkpoint watching runners coming in and leave at blistering paces.

My own leg was 21km. I lost three places, including one at the last 300m, but I finished in under 2 hours which I was happy with considering the 600m+ elevation and the 3 weeks of no training.

It took until Tuesday to recover, less than the 5km Parkrun. Will definitely consider doing this race next year, but probably a shorter leg (more exciting!).

Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Cycling: 62.5km commuting

Tuesday
    Running: 4km recovery at lunchtime. It's been a while since I've done a 4km run. I think the recovery stimulus was better than it would have been with 6km. A few niggles in the legs since the WWR including a dodgy hamstring and calf. Don't want to get injured now so took a few days off running until the long weekend.

Cycling: 62.5km commuting

Wednesday
    Cycling: 63km commuting

Thursday
    Cycling: 124.7km commuting
    Did the usual 31km commute to work. I got word from my concerned wife that a cyclist was knocked down by a car on the main coast road that I used to take to work. Turns out it was our own Ronanmac :mad:, "sideswiped by a car at a crossroads. No broken bones. Windscreen smashed. Back in hospital again on Tuesday." Hopefully he'll be back on the road soon (on another bike unfortunately).

I left work at 3.30 and headed down to Ballyvaughan in Clare to meet Henry, the guy who finished the Art O'Neill the one time I tried it. We cycled out to Black Head, just across the water from Spiddal. The views was incredible. I could point out dozens of places in a 150km radius from where we were.

From here we headed down the coast of Clare to the Cliffs of Moher, (one advantage of cycling is that there was no car parking or entrance fee :D).

Finished at 9pm after a good few breaks and photo opportunities. 90km+ in total.

Went out for a pint, Chinese takeaway and then a 4-hour nap.

10358294_659856624068305_541935626_n.jpg

Friday am
    Cycling: 70.01km door to door from Lahinch to my office. Roads were dead from 5 until about 7 o'clock. Low-lying mist over the countryside with a lovely sunrise. My route went by the Poll na Brón portal tomb (5,000 years old), probably the best example of a dolmen in Ireland.

Took a back road from here towards the Kinvara road. A bad choice, probably best-suited for a full-suspension mountain bike :eek:. A long slog back to Galway and into the office for 9am. Success!

10354464_527314520705700_1229483389_n.jpg

Running update due later :P

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|382.89|4
    MTD|544.36|80.04
    YTD|3716.19|577.75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It was nice to meet you last week and well done on the WW relay. Leg 7 is a bit of a savage and even at recce pace, I was always knackered after it. How did the uploaded watch routes work out? I see you found those extra 2 kms!

Nice to meet you too!

Yeah they worked out pretty well. Only one complaint amongst the 6 who used the gpx files, but it didn't have much consequence to his time.

The whole process was a little bit time consuming though, creating the route on ViewRanger, uploading the gpx to GPSies, converting to TCX and downloading, importing to Garmin Training Center and uploading to the watch. Please don't tell me you've a better way to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It was nice to meet you last week and well done on the WW relay. Leg 7 is a bit of a savage and even at recce pace, I was always knackered after it. How did the uploaded watch routes work out? I see you found those extra 2 kms!

Mine worked out perfectly. In fact, it was so good I was able to tell the guy in front of me which way to go. If I was a bastard I could've pointed him in the wrong direction :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

woah hold on a sec, you can upload the routes to the Garmin and it tells you which way to go?!

It appears as a line on the screen, with a little arrow showing you where you are and which direction you're going. You can zoom in or out for better detail. It's great for exploring new trails that are more obvious on maps and satellite images.

There's a Garmin Connect tool for creating courses, but it's primitive (doesn't let you edit points once you clicked the next point). Go to Plan > Courses > Create course.

• Advertisement

It appears as a line on the screen, with a little arrow showing you where you are and which direction you're going. You can zoom in or out for better detail. It's great for exploring new trails that are more obvious on maps and satellite images.

There's a Garmin Connect tool for creating courses, but it's primitive (doesn't let you edit points once you clicked the next point). Go to Plan > Courses > Create course.

no way, I'm always wary of heading beyond Three Rock on my own as I don't really know the way....this changes everything...cool

statss wrote: »
    no way, I'm always wary of heading beyond Three Rock on my own as I don't really know the way....this changes everything...cool

Statss I have a load of courses for around the mountains (including all the best burial sites :P), let me know if you want some.

The more accurate you track the route, the less chance you'll miss a turn. Also, it's hard to tell if a trail is on farmland or public land though, just be careful!

The more accurate you track the route, the less chance you'll miss a turn. Also, it's hard to tell if a trail is on farmland or public land though, just be careful!

and remember what you think is a track on a mapping website may not be anything of the sort. I tried that a couple of years ago with what I thought was a path from Cruagh to PWS and it turned out to be nothing of the sort, just a big, open, boggy channel. Almost lost the shoes once or twice.

PaulieC wrote: »
    and remember what you think is a track on a mapping website may not be anything of the sort. I tried that a couple of years ago with what I thought was a path from Cruagh to PWS and it turned out to be nothing of the sort, just a big, open, boggy channel. Almost lost the shoes once or twice.

I know the exact path you're talking about. It looked a bit suss to me! Is there any runnable trail up there?

Statss I have a load of courses for around the mountains (including all the best burial sites :P), let me know if you want some.

sound....presume you can fire the files over in an email? send us a couple of the easier ones to follow so, nice one, any around the DMW and early stages of the WW...thanks....ill pm my address

sound....presume you can fire the files over in an email? send us a couple of the easier ones to follow so, nice one, any around the DMW and early stages of the WW...thanks....ill pm my address

Sent you some links. There's once nice one that starts at Belarmine in Stepaside and goes up through a nice trail, onto the road past the blue light and then up past the quarry. All very followable. As for the WW, just follow the little yellow man signs.

I know the exact path you're talking about. It looked a bit suss to me! Is there any runnable trail up there?

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/2385292

It's runnable, just about, but not hugely enjoyable. I shared this course before and Enduro commented that there a better way to go by heading down towards the road (R114?) and running alongside the forest until you hit the WW just below the rocky section after PWS. I've not tried that route though

Sent you some links. There's once nice one that starts at Belarmine in Stepaside and goes up through a nice trail, onto the road past the blue light and then up past the quarry. All very followable. As for the WW, just follow the little yellow man signs.

thanks. the Cruagh-Glendoo-PWS-3Rock-2Rock-Tibradden one looks quality

MM, are you back in Dublin much over the summer, we could try and organise a group mountain run if so.

• Advertisement

MM, are you back in Dublin much over the summer, we could try and organise a group mountain run if so.

Yeah, early in July would be a good time, kind of like what we did last year?

Yeah, early in July would be a good time, kind of like what we did last year?

yeah, I've bumped up last year's thread on the main forum to see if there would be much interest in getting a group organised again.

May Summary
    Some points for my own future reference:
    • The two-week planned break was just the minimum recommended by Jack Daniels. I would prefer to take the maximum 6 weeks next time (currently scheduled for November-December).
    • Although I just about got away with racing a Parkrun and a hilly half marathon, I should avoid racing the in the weeks following a planned break in future.
    I was happy with my performance, although my run training wasn't the best. Onwards and upwards.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|397.41|4
    MTD|558.88|80.04
    YTD|3857|593.45

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday
    Running: 10km recovery run up the bog road after my cycle home. I was quite a bit stiff from the bike but loosened up on the downhill on the way back.

Cycling: 63.7km commuting.

Wednesday
    Running: 6km recovery run up the bog road. Same stiffness as yesterday but the pace was very decent by my standards for the uphill section. It's tough running just after a 75-minute hilly cycle - it would probably be in my best interest to do these runs first thing in the morning before cycling to work.

Cycling: 62.59km commuting.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|126.29|15.7
    MTD|126.29|15.7
    YTD|3857|593.45

Training for the Dublin Marathon will begin in a week or two, in the meantime I'm building up the distance slowly so I can do the 41-55-mile plan.

I've been signed up for the Carlingford Lough Endurance Challenge (CLEC) on 5th July. It's actually quite tough:
    1. 9.5km trail run
    2. 12km mountain bike (of which 6km is on road)
    3. 2km steep hill run (I know it's steep from when I ran here with Belcarra last year!)
    4. 5.5km mountain bike (5km on road)
    5. 5km trail run
    6. 9km mountain bike (1km on road)
    7. 4km mountain bike (1km on road)
    8. 2km kayak
    9. 2km run
    In total 51km including 19km of running. I'm doing it as a team event with my brother so that'll be interesting. He's a much better MTBer than me, but I'm a better runner. We'll drag each other round!

Thursday
    Running: 6km recovery run. Decided to run this one just after work, before I cycled home. Legs were a lot fresher than Wednesday. Pace was OK too.

Cycling: 60.97km commuting. Stopped to lend a pump to a bunch of cyclists, one of whom is a member of Galway City Harriers. I really should join them this month. No excuse not to.

Friday
    Rest

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|187.26|22.06
    MTD|187.26|22.06
    YTD|3917.97|599.81

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Running: 19km Medium-Long Run commute home from town. My Garmin was dead so I fired up Strava on my smartphone and listened to some music through the earphones. There's a new feature on the app that describes your time on the current segment relative to your previous PB on that segment. Kind of handy!

I picked up the pace towards the last few kms to finish with an overall average pace of 5:23min/km. No idea what my HR was.

Tuesday
    Running: 6.3km recovery at lunchtime. Struggled to keep the HR under 76%. Slow enough.

Cycling: 61.19km commuting. Left the sunglasses at home, regretted it nearly immediately, flies everywhere :(

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|61.19|25.21
    MTD|248.46|47.27
    YTD|3979.17|625.02

The plan for the rest of the week is to do a VO2 Max session tomorrow evening and a long run in the Dublin Mountains at the weekend. On Friday I've planned to leave work at 2.30pm and cycle to Dublin. The distance doesn't bother me too much, just that I've no experience in cycle nutrition on 8-hour+ spins.

Wednesday
    Rest day from running.

Cycling: 42km commuting.

Thursday
    Was supposed to fit in a run at lunch time but was too busy. Quads still a bit sore from Monday's run anyway.

Cycling: 31.3km commuting

Swimming: 700m or so. The tri club were having their swim down at my local beach (400m from my apartment :D) - I couldn't resist with the weather being so warm! The water wasn't as cold as it was in Seapoint in Dublin when I used to swim there. I was the only member who wasn't wearing a wetsuit :pac:

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|134.59|25.21
    MTD|321.85|47.27
    YTD|4052.56|625.02

All on track for my cycle to Dublin later today and my long run up to Fairy Castle on Sunday morning. My company's postponed 5km fun run is happening next Friday. Hopefully I'll get a VO2 Max session in on Tuesday.

you might be banjaxed from the cycle but if you fancied doing your long run to Fairy Castle tomorrow instead of Sunday send us a txt.

Friday
    Cycling: 210km Galway to Dublin. 30.3km/h average.

I was on the road from my office at 3pm. I chose a route that would bring me further north than what most Galway-Dublin cycles would go, purely for a bit of variance. Got a puncture at 57km (quite sure it was glass from one of the cycle lanes in the city). Took out a new tube and a CO2 canister and was on my way 20 minutes later. Took a rest and my only toilet break in Athlone at 6pm, spotted a nice takeaway and stupidly decided to go in. The food sat in my stomach for the next 3 hours.

I headed off again on the old N6. What a great resource for cyclists. It's still in very good condition and there was hardly any traffic on it, maybe one vehicle every 2 or 3 minutes. Took another break in Rochfordbridge which is like a ghost town now. There were kids actually playing on the road :eek:

Met my former physio at Kilcock and he stayed with me to Leixlip. The last few kms on my own weren't that bad, even the hill from Chapelizod up to Ballyfermot. Stopped off at my sister's for a tub of ice cream to give me enough energy for the remaining 2km.

It took ages to get to sleep that night as my heartrate was still high. I was surprised at how "easy" the cycle was overall. It's hard to compare it to running, but it's definitely not as hard as running a marathon. I'm currently looking at other long-distance cycles I could do from Galway, and turns out that the furthest point in Ireland from Galway is only a few km away from a family member's holiday home :D

Saturday
    Rest. Had a few naps :)

Sunday
    Running: 19km Medium-Long Run up to Fairy Castle.
    I ran up to Kilmashogue Lane to meet an old schoolfriend who has only recently started running. He seems to be more of a track runner (he can do a mile in 5:15 and a 5km in 18:30). We stopped a few times for walking breaks, something I'm not a big fan of. Otherwise the run was enjoyable, I had a reasonably fast descent coming back down the Wicklow Way towards the forest road to Kilmashogue. Plenty of activity up on the trails from runners and MTBs.

A decent week's running by my recent standards, but still haven't upped the mileage much. Looks like I'll be on the lowest mileage JD plan.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|344.77|44.32
    MTD|532.03|66.38
    YTD|4262.74|644.13

• Advertisement

Monday
    Cycling: 65km commuting. Found some new steepish hills on the way home. Lots of fair-weather cyclists out :p

Tuesday
    Cycling: 31.29km commuting.

Running: 14km run commute with 5 x 5mins @ VO2 Max with 4min30sec recoveries. Started off with tight hamstrings but loosened up after the warmup and the first interval. Heart-rate was quite low despite the backpack with 1-litre Camelbak and the heat. The final few intervals were easier. In general I find it takes a good while for me to warmup properly, just as well I like distance running.

Intervals on my commute home are slightly more complicated and uncomparable (is that a word?) than on a track or a circuit - the route is undulating, has one or two relatively sheltered sections, a good bit of the footpath is tricky with gravel, potholes (yes, on a footpath), and trucks and cars whizzing by me only a metre away. Still nice to have a bit of variance during an interval session.

The company fun run is this Friday, so I'll pace myself more or less according to the splits from this session (5-minute intervals, in min/km):
    • 4:22
    • 4:29
    • 4:29
    • 4:27
    • 4:20

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|96.29|13.94
    MTD|628.33|80.32
    YTD|4359.04|658.07

Advertisement