Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Yeah that'd be great. Cheers. Not sure I'd be able to do it. But see how it goes. Plan to do a lot more running in new places this year. Reading an article at the weekend re the Mournes, struck me that I've yet to run anywhere in the Mournes and they're relatively close to Dublin. Cheers re AON.

Yeah I really wanted to run in the Mournes but never got the chance before moving to Galway. I reckon it's possible to go up some evening after work around the summer equinox and drive up from Dublin to the Mournes and get a decent run in.

Make sure you're not running near any British Army base. My bro and friend found himself surrounded by soldiers and helicopter after wandering into the wrong area around Sliabh Gullion! This was years ago though!

Tuesday
    Cycling: 55.33km commuting

Broke all the records on the way home thanks to a rare easterly gale. 44 minutes for a 25km commute (33.7km/h average, 54km/h max). Got 2nd overall out of 209 in a local 10km Strava segment :D (Bearna to an Spidéal).

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|55.33|17.47
    MTD|98.94|29.83
    YTD|995.63|69.49

Wednesday

Running: 6.4km recovery.

Thursday
    Cycling: 52km commuting

Weekend was a write-off due to my stag :) 2 hours of paintballing counted for something!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|106.56|23.85
    MTD|150.17|36.2
    YTD|1046.86|75.87

Tuesday

No cycling yet due to weather.

Running: 5.06km recovery at lunch time. Went out with the running club from work for a lap of the racecourse. Battered by hailstones :mad:

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|0|5.06
    MTD|150.17|41.26
    YTD|1046.86|80.93

Sunday 9th March - Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon
    Sunday 18th May - Terenure 5-Mile
    Saturday 14th June - Milltown (Tuam, Galway) 10k
    Saturday 5th July - Ring of Kerry (cycling)
    Sunday 20th July - X-Terra triathlon (mountain biking & trail running)
    Saturday 28th September - Rathfarnham 5k
    Saturday 11th October - 10k Chonamara (unless I'm roped into marshalling duties)
    Monday 27th October - DCM

I'll see what else I can fit in.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Running: 10km with 5 x hill sprints. Ran from work, around the racecourse and down to my now usual spot for hill repeats. My heart rate was quite high (not feeling well this week), but at least my hill sprints are getting faster.

Swimming: Met up with the tri club for my first swim session. My first swim in 18 months. In total we did 1100m with lots of drills and kicking.

Saturday
    Yoga: Felt very stiff this morning from yesterday's run and swimming. Did about 45 minutes altogether.

I wanted to go for a longish run, but all my runners are at work :(

Cycling: Headed out to some remote roads up towards Cloosh Forest. Took it verrrrry easy. Beautiful day. Lovely shot of the Moycullen-Spiddal road with the hills of Clare on the other side of Galway Bay.20140215_143650.jpg

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|31.76|15.05
    MTD|181.93|51.26
    YTD|1078.62|90.92

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice pic MM, but I hate that road, the cars fly along and it's dangerous for running, how do you find it for cycling?

TbL

Nice pic MM, but I hate that road, the cars fly along and it's dangerous for running, how do you find it for cycling?

TbL

I find it nice for cycling because it's a lot quieter than the main Spiddal-Galway road and visibility is usually good because there are fewer bends. A typical journey from Moycullen to Spiddal could have 5-10 cars, whereas the main road would have dozens. 9pm at night and you would have about 2 cars over the whole 14km :)

I've run it lots of times as part of my route through Forbacha/Cnoc ar Easair but have never had any issues except at the corner at the caravan park in Spiddal. The bog roads are much better for running though. Today's spin up to Sliabh an Aonaigh is a nice route for running too.

I'm going to start heading up to Maam every Saturday for a jog up the Pilgrim's Path. Let me know if you're interested. No need for trail shoes I don't think! Wednesday nights haven't started back yet.

Sunday
    Cycling: 46.3km A nice spin with a few lads from the tri club. I took the long route home in order to do more hills :)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|78.09|15.05
    MTD|228.26|51.26
    YTD|1124.95|90.92

Not much running this week, again. I'll blame it on the crappy weather and my runners being left at work.

This week will be better - weather doesn't look too bad, plus there's a bit of daylight in the evenings. Will be doing a 18km run home tonight :)

Monday
    Cycling: 25km commute to work. Left at 6:55am, roads a lot more pleasant and quiet - only 70 cars passed me over a 14km stretch :rolleyes:

Running: 17.44km run commute home. Only took the headtorch out at about 6.45pm :) Nice to do a longish run! Pushed the pace on the uphills. Got a nice Strava Course Record on a local hill.

Yoga: 20 mins (10 mins each in the morning and evening)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|25.39|17.44
    MTD|253.64|68.69
    YTD|1150.33|108.36

Only Monday and I've already run more than last week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Sounds like you are well and truly settled in to life in An Gaeltacht!

belcarra wrote: »
    Sounds like you are well and truly settled in to life in An Gaeltacht!

True, although I do miss the Dublin-Wicklow mountains!

Tuesday
    Running: 5km recovery at lunch. Felt like summer!

Cycling: 25km commuting

Yoga: 20 mins (10 mins each in the morning and evening)

Wednesday
    Cycling: 50km commuting.

Yoga: 20 minutes in the morning.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|101.57|22.44
    MTD|329.83|73.69
    YTD|1226.51|113.36

Plan for now and weekend is:
    • 5km + hill repeats at lunchtime today
    • rest/cross-training (swimming & cycling) tomorrow
    • a jaunt up the Twelve Bens on Saturday with a few ultra runners.

Thursday
    Cycling: 25km commuting. Would have been 50km except I forgot to bring my pump with me. Of course that was the day I got a puncture. Have now switched both tyres to Gatorskins. Got picked up from work and went for a nice meal and a pint instead, my bike in the car :)

Running: 5km at lunch time with 5 x hill repeats. Felt like crap (not enough of a warmup, but apparently I broke the Strava Course Record again, now down to 1min 3secs. My best effort on my first day was 1:25. That's good progress!

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|126.9|27.1
    MTD|355|78
    YTD|1251.91|117.96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    I remember a time when there used to be running on here...
    Mods - Throw him out of this forum!!:pac:

+1 :mad: Just found this on the tri forum:
    Hi,

I'm a long-time commuter cyclist (15 years) and a recent convert to long-distance running (4 years). I've dabbled with a little bit of swimming on and off for about 12 years too, but now doing all three disciplines on a regular basis for the first time since joining a tri club.

Is it a bad idea to do a morning or afternoon run session (hill repeats, tempo session, VO2 max session) before a club evening swim session?

My calves and feet started to cramp after my first session last Friday. I put it down to the hill repeats I did only a few hours before the swim, despite doing a good bit of yoga stretching after the run.

Haha, what were you doing over on the Tri forum Meno? ;)

The focus is still very much on running. I have things I want to achieve before tri becomes more than just cross-training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha, what were you doing over on the Tri forum Meno? ;)

Just to sneer at them :)

Friday
    Cycling: 52.76km commuting. Cycle home from swimming was very tough. Heavy bag, headwind, no energy after swimming. Oh well.

Swimming: 625m. No energy. Must take note to eat a few hours beforehand and to turn up early for a bit of a warmup.

Saturday
    Running: 13.1km with 724m of climbing. Supposed to run the eastern hills of the Twelve Bens. The other two runners were a no-show so I continued on to Letterfrack to the relative safety of running solo in the National Park. The bus journey was long enough so I made the most of it and ran the Diamond twice. Unfortunately I missed an other section of trail which could have lengthened the run. Both loops were nearly identical in splits, second one about a minute faster :) Must remember to do some lower back strengthening. The hill nearly broke my back. I suppose that's what happens on a 12% average climb.

Strava Link

Rest day tomorrow. A good week. About 12 hours of exercise.
    KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|179.70|40.18
    MTD|407.96|91.43
    YTD|1304.65|131.10

Sunday
    Rest and yoga

Monday
    Rest

Only logging this so I don't actually go out and do anything this evening. My right calf was sore yesterday and even sorer today. Walking with a bit of a limp so no bike commute this morning or run commute home.

Tuesday
    Yoga: 60 minutes

Cycling:
    50.8km commuting

Right calf still sore, not happy to run on it yet. Just as well I'm doing so much cycling to keep the fitness up.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|50.8|0
    MTD|458.76|91.43
    YTD|1355.45|131.10

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Yoga: 30 minutes

Cycling:
    50.8km commuting

Calf back to normal :D If I'm going to run at all tomorrow, it'll have to be first thing in the morning from the office. Wouldn't mind a slow 10k :)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|101.58|0
    MTD|509.54|91.43
    YTD|1406.23|131.10

Thursday
    Cycling: 25.4km commuting. No rain :D

Running: 10km at recovery pace at lunchtime. No issues with calves.

Interesting statistic: "calf" has been mentioned 23 times in this thread, and "calves" 3 times. "Niggle-free" has zero hits (until now :rolleyes:).

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|126.97|10
    MTD|534.93|101.43
    YTD|1431.62|141.10

Plan for next few days is:
    • run to bus commute tomorrow (haven't decided distance or bus yet!)
    • swim tomorrow night
    • day trip to Belfast on Saturday, so no exercise
    • run up to Three Rock on Sunday morning from Rathfarnham. Would welcome any stragglers :)

Friday
    Running: 18.69km Medium-Long Run commute to town. Had no Garmin for this so set up the app on my phone instead. No headtorch needed despite starting off at 6:30am. Running was easy enough. Last few kms were surprisingly easy despite having no breakfast. Pace was about 5:25min/km (8:43min/mile).

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|126.97|28.69
    MTD|534.93|120.12
    YTD|1431.62|159.79

February Summary:
    A better month running-wise than January (120km total as opposed to 40km). Still don't have much endurance in the legs though. I think some of the speed from my "glory days" has come back. I've got a little bit of consistency I think, which is one of my goals for 2014.

The Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon is coming up in 9 days. My mountain running isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Maybe after this race I'll forget about hills and mountains for a while and focus on a bit of speed and endurance on the flat.

Friday evening
    Cycling: 22.57km commuting to swim session and then home.

Yoga: 20 minutes before swimming.

Swimming: 1000m+, most of it doing kicking drills :(:mad:. First few were awful but after a while I got used to the motion. Tough work. I always thought my legs were the strongest but I was lagging behind everyone with the kick drills. Once we got to use the pull buoy (a float that you keep between your thighs), I was catching everyone again. Most of my swimming "strength" must come from my arms :eek:

On the last length I got a sharp cramp in my left calf. Bloody feckin calves. Arrghh.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|149.55|28.69
    MTD|557.51|120.12
    YTD|1454.19|159.79

Saturday 1st March
    Spent all day travelling (600km Galway to Dublin to Belfast to Dublin). A day of rest at least.

Sunday 2nd March
    Yoga: 30 minutes.

Plan was to run Three Rock from Rathfarnham. Left calf too sore to run a hilly route. Getting really fed up with these calf cramps now. Wicklow Mountains Half is in doubt. Going to try get an appointment for real this week with a nutritionist to see if there's anything in my diet that's contributing to the problem. Money is quite tight but I also need to source a physio in Galway.

EDIT: Just read Marthastew's update. Puts things in perspective.

Sunday
    Spent my bus trip home to Galway reading Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry. Lots of interesting things learned which I put to use once I got home:
    • 3 minutes myofascial release on my calves using The Grid (foam roller)
    • 10-minute warmup (yoga sun salutes)
    • 3 minutes static stretching in Downward Dog
    • some hamstring strengthening exercises with the exercise ball, as previously recommended by my last physio to help the gluteal problems I had (similar to this, but with a more horizontal position)
    • 2 minutes myofascial release on calves using the The Stick
    • 15 minutes ice on calves and elevation
    • 15 minutes heat on calves and elevation
    The foam rolling is hard on the triceps - at least if I keep this up daily I should build up some core strength. I must have very tights in my left calf, the foam rolling was quite sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

We all must have bought that book for 0.99c

Haven't started it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

got it myself too.

Monday
    Cycling: 25.4km commuting.

Running: 18.54 Medium-Long run commute home from Eyre Square. Ran as far as Na Forbacha without a headtorch, took it out and it was dead. No front light for 14km (I always wear a rear red light for safety). Miraculously I didn't put a foot wrong. Kept the HR around the P&D guideline for MLRs, ie 74-84% of max. Average pace 5:29min/km (8:49min/mile). Delighted to get this distance in.

Yoga: 30 minutes. No foam rolling today, triceps too sore!

Physio booked for tomorrow evening. She advised me I wouldn't be able to cycle home :(

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|25.39|18.53
    MTD|25.39|18.53
    YTD|1479.58|178.32

Tuesday
    Running: 6.03km at 'non-recovery' recovery pace at lunchtime. Ran with a work colleague which was faster than my recovery pace. A bit stiff from last night but looser by the end of the run.

Cycling: 13.5km from work to the physio. Lovely roads out where the physio is. I cheekily called a new Strava downhill segment "An Tóin Bhrocach" after the hill from which it descends (The true name Tóin na Brocaí means something else). Here's how Google translates my version. There's my log's input for Seachtain na Gaeilge ;)

Physio: She was recommended by 3 people which was a good sign and seems to know my last physio well. Lots of questions before we started, including if I had an MRI of my back considering my left glute, hamstring and calf history, and surprise that I hadn't had dry needling before. She first had me doing calf raises on my toes and pointed out that I have a significant weakness in my left calf.

On to the pleasant part. A bit of poking about on the calves, more so on the left. This had me sweating like a good thing and said she never saw anybody's foot sweat so much before :eek: Next thing I felt needles being inserted into my calf. She explained the theory to me which put me at ease. A few stretches of the calf and instructions for the next few days and I was on my way. No instruction to not race the Half on Sunday. Happy days.

My range of motion this evening is quite funny. Walking around with my knee slightly bent at about 170 degrees.

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|38.89|24.56
    MTD|38.89|24.56
    YTD|1493|184.35

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Cycling: 50.8km commuting. Got soaked on the way home.

Range of motion in left leg improved considerably overnight. Did my prescribed stretches every hour at work. Some calf raises tonight.

Should be back running tomorrow :)

KMs|Cycling|Running
    WTD|89.66|24.56
    MTD|89.66|24.56
    YTD|1543.85|184.35

Advertisement