Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to address the nation

Options

Comments

That fat **** should be hung by his fat lips. ****ing shower of traitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

I liked Cowen's attempt at a Jedi mind trick.

"These aren't the boogeymen you're looking for"

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

10.30 rte 1 special live debate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

lmaopml wrote: »
    I thought Vincent was an ass tbh. He wants the Taoiseach and the Government that are in the middle of some of the biggest talks we've ever needed to 'go right' - to resign straight away - and announces it all over the global stage, cause that's going to really help the national interest at this point in time, and contribute to our bargaining power with Europe and the IMF.

He couldn't hold his mouth, he actually shamed us with that barrage on this day of all days.....He could do that anywhere and regularly does, but knew that every single country is looking on tonight.

Dope.

They haven't released any details as of yet, because quite obviously they are still barganing Vincent you bloody ass, nice undermining for the sake of another 15 mins of fame - Shees President? No thanks...
    Total nonsense. Do you think the international bond market has faith in a moron like Cowan? If he quit we'd start looking a better risk straight away. And if Fianna Failure crept into a hole and died, we might start looking like a credible country again.

Personally I hope Fianna Failure somehow cling on for the next couple of years when the misery they have caused really starts - I don't want them moaning from the opposition benches about the symptoms of a catastrophe they caused.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Done.

Also sent

• Advertisement

themadhair wrote: »
    complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

Would you mind if we all used this and sent a complaint to RTE?
    They deserve to get thousands of complaints about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Hey everybody, just woke up from a 4 year coma. What did I miss?

Mister men wrote: »
    Unfortunately i can see bloodshed on the streets in the next few weeks after this.

Nope. We just verbally abuse the system. The last time there was bloodshed on the streets was that botched Love Ulster thing in 2006. Before that, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Also sent

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Anyone got that clip from Fox News commenting on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Jake1 wrote: »
    Would you mind if we all used this and sent a complaint to RTE?
    They deserve to get thousands of complaints about this.
    That is why it was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

bhovaspack wrote: »
    I would suggest making a formal complaint to RTÉ for cutting off live coverage of the most important press conference in decades. A disgrace.
    Bring back Arthur Murphy and Mailbag .......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bnt wrote: »
    Never mind Fox News, what about Twitter? :o

f**king twitter, the hive mind of the chattering classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

ascanbe wrote: »
    I was watching on RTE; didn't notice any background noise let alone overpowering background noise.

I posted on this earlier during the news but I think the post got lost when boards timed out.

I don't know who is running RTE news @ 9 but it really does look like they were out to "hide" stuff. If you look at the last live report they even zoomed in on the reporter, possibly to hide the protesters and their signs in the back ground. That is what occurred to me as the zoom happened :( I was trying to read the bloody sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Re - Vincent Browne

Dont forget he was the man that effectively ended Berties rein as Taoiseach by refusing to sit at a press conference until questions regarding berties finances were answered. This pic said it all during the same conference

Hedman wrote: »
    I liked Cowen's attempt at a Jedi mind trick.

"These aren't the boogeymen you're looking for"

yeah, ye got that right Biffo, we know who the real feckin bogeymen are.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Our journalists don't need to make us look stupid, our politicians are doing an epic job at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Also sent

Also sent, well done mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I don't agree. He was asking very specific questions that needed to be answered, like where is the money going to go? "The banks" is all he had to say. Not a very difficult question. Another question: Why isn't anyone in government accountable for their actions and own up to their responsibilities? Did you hear the guy on the BBC before the speech. He was laying into Fiana Fail and Anglo, calling the whole thing an absolute disgrace.

Jesus, Vincent was only asking the questions we all wanted answered. And where better to do it, but on the world stage where everyone is watching.

Brown got hammered by the recession - his family home is actually going on the market and is rightly a little píssed off. He's not in as bad a situation as other folk though, as he pointed out himself. He really got screwed though.

The whole of Europe are paying for our own government's incompetent actions now, and he was bloody right to get stuck in. The French would have done a whole lot worse, believe me!

I take all of that on board...but I'm sorry, imo he undermined us tonight.

The Government 'will' go - and 'Cowen' will die the worst political death - Vincent knows this, hell everybody knows this....

..but at this moment in time, he should have tried to keep a muzzel on. If you think about it, they said the talks would only last a few days - especially with the markets opening on Monday...We've been informed it will take a little longer than that, so obviously we are bargaining terms etc. For the time it takes to sort this out, I don't care if it's Homer Simpson talking to Europe - you do NOT undermine those talks like a fish monger..

Sorry any fish mongers out there..lol...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

Regards,

sent as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Maserati23 wrote: »
    10.30 rte 1 special live debate!!!

F*ck RTE.

I'm watching Vicenct Browne at 10.30 on TV3

RTE left a sour taste in my mouth and won't be getting my time tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Vincent Browne's questions will be broadcast in full at 2230 on TV3

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It was nowhere near overpowering it. Don't be ridiculous. It's just RTE doing it's usual denial routine.

heh, there was a quiet protest in the background, they heard they were on the news and got slightly louder. then went quiet again. Then had a pow wow and started crossing the road in a group toward the reporter. Thats when RTE cut away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Regards,

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

phasers wrote: »
    God, Brian Lenihan looked so unwell. I feel a bit bad for him to be honest (on a personal level, not political), Cowen on the other hand can go and hang for all I care

If he was too sick for the job, he shouldn't have been in it.
    God knows, all he's achieved as Finance Minister is to give Ireland as a whole the same gloomy health prognosis that he himself received the other Christmas.

Jake1 wrote: »
    That fat **** should be hung by his fat lips. ****ing shower of traitors.

sorry mods, I genuinely didnt know bad language was banned
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

think we should all just watch TV3 at 10.30 instead of RTE.... eejits changing their time to compete with TV3.......RTE are a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well you lot make sure you can Vote the Fúckers out when the time comes.
    http://www.checktheregister.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Also sent, well done mate.
    Also sent.

Even though I wasn't watching RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Also sent themadhair's email to RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement