Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to address the nation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I hearby declare this day to be BLACK SUNDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Mister men wrote: »
    Am i right in saying RTE cut off when TV3 guy started asking the hard questions? Jesus it's like North Korea in this country.

You're right. That's exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Could someone tell me what channel was this on and long did it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What a useless press conference. No new information conveyed there at all, really.

Anyone else feel kind of sorry for Brian Lenihan? He seems like a decent sort, and at least he answers the questions put to him coherently without waffling in circles to avoid them.
    Lenihan should have been made Taoiseach, not Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A liability! Jesus, Vincent isn't pulling any punches!
    There's asking questions, and then there's grandstanding for the cameras, and I have to say he crossed the line a bit there. We'll surely be hearing more from him in Politico.ie later, but in the mean time, here's some more sober analysis from the BBC's Robert Peston earlier today:
    The total value of these loans - or more properly of these lending facilities - is expected to be less than €100bn (£85bn), although the definitive amount won't be fixed for a few days, until a team of experts from the IMF, European Commission and European Central Bank has finished their evaluation of the "hole" in the finances of Ireland's big banks.
    The lending facility for Ireland is expected to have a life of three or four years, long enough (in theory) for Ireland to restore the health of its banks and to reduce the deficit in its public finances from 12 per cent of GDP (excluding taxpayers' financial support for banks) to a target of 3 per cent.
    It is hoped that would be long enough for Ireland to restore its reputation as a creditworthy nation among commercial lenders and investors.
    I have current, credit card and deposit accounts with AIB: not a lot of money in there, but you can bet I'll be keeping an eye on them. I can't see the likes of Santander or Deutsche Bank showing any interest without additional incentives.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What a night of TV! Suzanne Doyle gets caught the tramp and Beavis and Butthead address us and suck up to Europe. It's nights like these the TV licence was made for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Das News iz gud, ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

I would suggest making a formal complaint to RTÉ for cutting off live coverage of the most important press conference in decades. A disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Smcgie wrote: »
    What was that day?

Wild guess 9/11

Doubt it, there were hardly 13,000 boards members in 2001 or internet conections!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

ascanbe wrote: »
    Hardly anyone probably bothered to watch the thing as it was timed to coincide with the announcment of the X-Factor results.

I wouldn't put it past them you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

What a useless press conference. No new information conveyed there at all, really.

Anyone else feel kind of sorry for Brian Lenihan? He seems like a decent sort, and at least he answers the questions put to him coherently without waffling in circles to avoid them.
    No. Lenihan is the best politician I have ever seen in Ireland, better than Bertie Ahern even. He makes people like him, he sounds plausible, he makes sentences.

That just makes him very, very dangerous. A buffoon like Cowen can lead the country into oblivion. Can you imagine the damage his silver-tongued lieutenant could do? He's the guy who told us NAMA would fix the banks. He's the guy who guaranteed the banks - the guarantee that has sunk us.They have not been acting for the Irish people for at least the last 5 years, and now we have arrived where we deserve to be - in the ****ter. We put them in power, didn't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

It's utterly disgraceful that RTE cut it off when Vincent Browne was in the middle of asking the hard questions.

RTE = STATE OWNED = STATE CENSORED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Wow, what did RTE actually cut to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

So were borrowing tens of billions more to bail out private banks, great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

they are showing the all ireland got talent results maybe

very important stuff that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Boards cannae take it Captain, she's breakin up.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I would so go gay for Vincent Browne right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

did any one see the two fellas walking behind the news reporter with the pig masks on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

The whole thing reminds me of this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The MP on BBC right now doesn't seem too happy with lending to us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

protesters outside the Dáil - thinking of joining them - we must be heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Spunge wrote: »
    Wow, what did RTE actually cut to ?

Some talking head who was on stand by in the studio.

So what was the announcement? This thread is too long to read through. Are we screwed? - er - are we more screwed than we were?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

yeah it was biffo and lenihan making a quick getaway

Lenihan should have been made Taoiseach, not Cowen.
    That would be the Brian Lenihan who blew tens of billions on NAMA, and the same Brian Lenihan who made the debts of the banks the debts of the Irish people?

I disagree - I think he should be on trial for treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

What did Ursala do... I missed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

So what was the announcement? This thread is too long to read through. Are we screwed? - er - are we more screwed than we were?

We are taking the bailout and its nobody's fault.
    We are royally screwed, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Lenihan is just as much to blame as Cowen.
    He is just as sly, and just as incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you want to complain about RTE cutting away from the press conference
    complaints@rte.ie

• Advertisement

We are the same screwed as we were since Lenihan guaranteed the banks: totally screwed.

This is not the last of this crisis folks. This has YEARS left to play out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement