Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to address the nation

Options

Comments

Also sent, well done mate.

Also sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Complained to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

It was nowhere near overpowering it. Don't be ridiculous. It's just RTE doing it's usual denial routine.

It's overpowering as soon as background noise becomes audible enough to take focus away from an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Same here!

me too, copied and forwarded to mates and told them to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

One thing to come of all this is that Cowen & Co. can no longer clutch to their aged adage of: A general election would be irresponsible with the budget looming. For they have now surrendered all budgetary powers, and with it all potential they have for governance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

My complaint...

To whom it may concern,

I wish to complain about the appalling coverage and obvious censoring of the Brian Cowen/Brian Lenihan press conference. At this point I should state that I was not watching said coverage on RTE as, from what I saw and heard, there was no prior announcement of the imminent press conference. I had knowledge that Brian Cowen would be making a statement regarding the bailout a full forty minutes beforehand from the BBC which had featured it prominently on their website and news channel. No such reminders or confirmations of the statement appeared on the RTE website which really is just sub-standard journalism. The national broadcaster didn't see fit to remind the Irish people of this important, historic press conference. It should be asked what exactly does the TV license achieve at this point as it clearly isn't up-to-the-minute news.

The most infuriating part however has to go to the censoring of Vincent Browne when he asked Brian Cowen questions he was so obviously inept at answering. Just because Cowen and Lenihan felt too uncomfortable and ill-equipped to answer questions of their failures doesn't mean the Irish people should have been cut off from the press conference.

Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Waste of your time sending that to RTE. It's not worth the paper it's not printed on.
    Send it to the Broadcasting Commission instead, and ask them to justify the ongoing existence of the licence fee in the context of RTE's utter failure to fulfil a basic public broadcasting remit tonight.
    themadhair wrote: »
    complaints@rte.ie

To whom it may concern,

Earlier this evening there was a press conference wherein the Taoiseach and finance minister of our country told us, the Irish people, that Ireland had formally asked the EU for financial aid. Despite the importance of this event I have to say that I am absolutely livid at RTE and how they covered the event. There are two major bones of contention that have disappointed me greatly;

1) Your journalist asked the first questions off the Taoiseach and the finance minister. Despite this opportunity, your journalist asked the most irrelevant questions of the conference. It is astounding to me that the BBC journalist could display more understanding and solidarity with the Irish people in his questioning than could the RTE journalist.

2) RTE cut their coverage of the conference short, particularly when the hard questions wanted by the Irish people were being asked. Given the importance of this event I am staggered at the editorial decision taken by RTE to cut their coverage of the questioning short.

RTE has a responsibility to keep the Irish people informed of political developments, and that responsibility was shirked tonight. That many people on internet forums learned more details regarding this press conference, and could access the conference in full, on foreign channels rather than the national broadcaster is a disgrace.

The Irish people who pay their licences to fund RTE deserved better.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Also sent.

just sent now also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Maserati23 wrote: »
    10.30 rte 1 special live debate!!!
    TV3 all the way now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bloopy

sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Also sent

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

The Revolution will not be televised :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

sending complaints to RTE is pointless, you will just get a polite PFO. It's a closed shop.

You need to send them here:

http://www.bai.ie/broadcasting_complaints.html

It's a little more work, but very satisfying

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I wasn't watching it on RTÉ either (BBC live news stream ftw), but the lack of information given about the conference is astounding! They should at least have mentioned it would be taking place this evening during the 6pm news :rolleyes:

I'm fuming that everyone on Facebook is raving about the damn X-Factor and how Katie and Wagner should be gone by now, and that only ONE other person has commented on this extremely important news event. It's only going to affect your life for a long time into the future sure, so just make yerself a cuppa and watch mind-numbing crap on tv instead. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

I'm fuming that everyone on Facebook is raving about the damn X-Factor and how Katie and Wagner should be gone by now, and that only ONE other person has commented on this extremely important news event. It's only going to affect your life for a long time into the future sure, so just make yerself a cuppa and watch mind-numbing crap on tv instead. Well done.

i feel the same way! about 8.45 on FB i said i'd hoped people were watching RTE right now......but they were all yapping away about xfactor. pretty sad IMO. damn celtic tiger kids! lol

Also sent.

Even though I wasn't watching RTE.

Thank you, that was so funny :)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

jayok wrote: »
    Guten Nacht - Welkommen to die Nine O'Clock News...
    Ah they love us really. As long as we keep exporting Guinness, trad music and our brand of Celtic mysticism we'll have no problem with them.

Look who's even currently topping their bestseller list:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/charts/0,1518,458992,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

tbh, I can kind of understand that kind of mindset so long as it's just that they want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything's okay as opposed to plain old ignorance.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mister men wrote: »
    TV3 all the way now

errrm, TV3 were showing a live British reality show instead of the press conference:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Just send the IMF into rte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

Anyone know what the Fox News thing was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Does anyone want to be so kind so as to stream Vincent Browns show tonight? Alas I can't get TV3 here in London but would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

copacetic wrote: »
    errrm, TV3 were showing a live British reality show instead of the press conference:confused:
    Their two journalists asked actual questions during the conference. Much more than can be said for the RTE clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The lack of advance warning about the press conference was astounding. I just got off the phone with my dad who only heard about it on the 9 o clock news. He watched the 6 o clock news and there was nothing mentioned about it. This is unacceptable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

copacetic wrote: »

sorry but Ursala Haligan and Vincent Browne both asked the questions we all wanted answers to.

RTE, zilch, waffle and bull****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I didn't even know there was going to be a conference. I've been listening to the news all day and nothing! When did they give the notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Protestors attacking Cowen's car on Sky News....last thing we need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bloopy

D-Generate wrote: »
    Does anyone want to be so kind so as to stream Vincent Browns show tonight? Alas I can't get TV3 here in London but would love to see it.

Apparently TV3 will be streaming it live on their site with no IP restrictions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement