Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Saorview Equipment Freeview Compatible?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hello All,

I was thinking of buying a Walker Saorview compatible TV for my Mother who lives close to the NI border. We have a good Freeview signal there, and I was hoping to receive both Saorview and Freeview on the same EPG.
    However I have just read on this wiki article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorview#Other_information ) that official Saorview compatible equipment cannot receive freeview. Is this true, or is it only T2 that they can received?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

NI will use DVB-T2 for "Freeview HD" via MPEG4. It wont be on until end 2012/13. They use MPEG2 for "Freeview" SD on DVB-T.

We use MPEG4 via DVB-T. (This will also decode Freeview SD stations ie MPEG2, but not the HD ones which operate on DVB-T2 in 2012/13)

To be sure to be sure, I would suggest that you get a DVB-T2 box rather than a Saorview box as that should cover all eventualities - ie receive Freeview (SD), Saorview SD & HD and Freeview HD.

Freeview HD boxes are as low as £40 in UK. Plenty of threads here on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Thanks STB,

So will NI/GB switch off their current DVB-T transmissions when DVB-T2 comes online? Surly this will mean all the current set top box's will need replacing?

Dvb T2 is being used for hd services only at the moment.
    It's already on air throughout wales and in many parts of the rest of the uk except NI.

I don't know what their policy is over there regarding forcing a change but I'd expect they won't.
    What will probably happen is that more and more the equipment available to buy for freeview will be dvb t2 only which is backwards compatible with mpeg 4 [standard and high definition]and mpeg 2.

I've a freview hd dvbt2 tv [a sony 40ex403] which has the saorview channels and the UK freeview and freeviewhd channels all on the one epg and you can order them whatever way you like on the epg unlike with sky.

I've also goit a freeviewhd pvr with the same epg working well with both.
    The only thing is as yet there is no series link on the RTENL channels.
    But that will come eventually hopefully,although possibly only on saorview certified equipment,we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks STB,

So will NI/GB switch off their current DVB-T transmissions when DVB-T2 comes online? Surly this will mean all the current set top box's will need replacing?

No. DVB-T2 will be used on one multiplex only.

The Walker Saorview-certified TVs will work with both Saorview and Freeview now. The Freeview-HD DVB-T2 channels will be a simulcast of the existing 5 terrestrial channels so maybe your mother can live without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

DVB-T2 will do all. So my recommendation is to get a "Freeview HD" box for now and the future.

It is easier to renumber 5 stations in the 800s on a Freeview HD than 40 on a Saorview Box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

STB wrote: »
    DVB-T2 will do all. So my recommendation is to get a "Freeview HD" box for now and the future.

It is easier to renumber 5 stations in the 800s on a Freeview HD than 40 on a Saorview Box!

I'm looking for a TV that will mound on the kitchen wall, so a box is not ideal. But i think i'll look for a T2 TV. (any good reccomentations for a 24"/26" one?)

Good point on the renumbering of that stations.

Thanks all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you want Freeview and Saorview "Freeview HD" is best option
    http://www.saortv.info/about/n-i-digital/

Saorview will do Freeview video & audio, and maybe Freeview MHEG5 apps. None certified with DVB-T2 tuners for "Freeview HD" yet.
    Freeview won't do Saorview. [In general, some exceptions, especially pan European Models of TV, virtually no exceptions on set-boxes]
    "Freeview HD" does all three and its MHEG5 should work Irish MHEG5 Apps. You need DVB-T2 for "Freeview HD"

so +1 to STB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    Freeview won't do Saorview.

It will of course do Saorview if it has an MPEG-4 decoder built-in, as I've said before there are 5 freeview-certified TVs within my extended family and all do Saorview and some also do MHEG-5 digital text.

In Power City and other retailers most if not all MPEG-4 compatible (non Walker) TVs are also freeview certified and probably carry the freeview logo.

The best advice to give is if purchasing any non-Saorview/freeview-HD certified STB/iDTV receiver the buyer should ensure the receiver includes an MPEG-4/H.264 decoder by checking the receivers specification or is advertised as such in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I qualified my post ;)

Advertisement