Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

HAHAHA.....................................I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

maninasia wrote: »
    What is the reason for this?

Hindsight.

Everything is obvious when you already know the consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...What is the reason for this?
    See this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125317

The attitude of Seaslacker might answer part of your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

No most of this stuff was obvious if you actually checked the details. The transfer the assets to your spouse trick was already going on even before NAMA was setup, the point is that they knew about it but didn't even have a counter-strategy.
    All this information was in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Mark200 wrote: »
    Hindsight.

And for those who have enough information at the right time to see it coming, cognitive dissonance, analysis paralysis and apathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

No most of this stuff was obvious if you actually checked the details. The transfer the assets to your spouse trick was already going on even before NAMA was setup, the point is that they knew about it but didn't even have a counter-strategy.
    All this information was in plain sight.
    All this stuff was fairly obvious to a good section of the population. Unfortunately it wasnt popular to rock the boat and without public opinion on your side, theres not much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Everyone looks the other way. It's the way of the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

Mister men wrote: »
    Everyone looks the other way. It's the way of the Irish.

No it's not.

FFS, I hate when people say crap like that. There is nothing in us that makes us act a certain way. You can argue that we have been conditioned by our society but that is not the case. English people say it about English people, Italians about Italians. Americans about Americans.

Just because something happens in this country doesn't mean it is down to a character trait of "the Irish".

*breathes again*:eek:

From Biggins (you mentioned me above man)

Now this, this clump of text was just too funny.....
    Please point out where anyone has advocated a political agenda! Kop on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

And for those who have enough information at the right time to see it coming, cognitive dissonance, analysis paralysis and apathy.

Being ignored by the majority was more common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Biggins wrote: »
    See this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125317

The attitude of Seaslacker might answer part of your question.
    From Biggins (you mentioned me above man)

Now this, this clump of text was just too funny.....

Lads, Can you just let it be please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I recall reading in 2007 that AIB sold their prime real-estate headquaters, Bankcentre in Ballsbridge, and signed a 10 year lease agreement on the property. According to the RTE Freefall doc' land in this area, at this time mas the most expensive in the world.

Did AIB know of the impending crash and maximise the profit on their property holdings?

But do you have to be told?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But do you have to be told?

Yes... but the trick is to get us sober first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Snoozefest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I heard their crystal ball was not working on that particular day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Spacedog wrote: »
    I recall reading in 2007 that AIB sold their prime real-estate headquaters, Bankcentre in Ballsbridge, and signed a 10 year lease agreement on the property. According to the RTE Freefall doc' land in this area, at this time mas the most expensive in the world.

Did AIB know of the impending crash and maximise the profit on their property holdings?

To a degree, yes. I can't speak for AIB, but I worked nearby at the time, and when I heard about that deal, it was a major indicator for me that those in the know were cashing out of Irish property. IIRC, there were a lot of bank branch sales and leasebacks that year too.

Staying on topic...

We have many forms of communication now in which to stay informed of many things.
    Radio,
    Tv
    Twitter
    Phone
    Forums
    ...And so on. Even talking to one another across a bar table.

However some don't want to hear of such things and/or avoid such things (fair enough, thats one right).
    Those that want to educate themselves will do so and hopefully try and do something about it.
    However those that don't, then strangely enough some remarkably (not you OP) complain that we are not all doing something about the current situation!

A person can't win.

I know others besides myself try to inform people. Its up to them thereafter to decide of they wish to do something.
    In the meanwhile certain media services alone are still trying to get the information out there.
    Sadly however they are being thwarted in their efforts in a number of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Everyone with an ounce of common sense knew about the property bubble tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Swampy wrote: »
    Snoozefest

Check the facts, they sold their own gaff at exactly the right time didn't they? they knew the real extent of the crisis we find ourselves in, in 2007 because they had the reports and data in their hands.

They knew it and I know you know it so admit it!

Spacedog wrote: »
    They knew it and I know you know it!

Yes but , y'know, does he know you know that he knew you now know?

I'd say they were ignoring anyone mentioning the property market crashing.
    At the time there was a lot of talk about a 'soft landing' so I guess they figured the land wouldn't be as valuable again.

Personally I think a lot of educated and professional folks are too apathetic and therefore can be ridden roughshod over until they get hit in the pocket themselves or suddenly they see the light. Maybe things were good for so long people just didn't want to face up to the fact that you actually need to struggle and fight and put an effort in to make things better, you can't just sit back and hope it will be better.

To give an analogy, it's like if you work for a company and you don't complain about them docking your wages for the little things, pretty soon they'll get rid of holiday pay and no overtime etc, they'll see you as a soft target after a while (only an analogy folks :)).

Personally I think a lot of educated and professional folks are too apathetic and therefore can be ridden roughshod over until they get hit in the pocket themselves or suddenly they see the light. Maybe things were good for so long people just didn't want to face up to the fact that you actually need to struggle and fight and put an effort in to make things better, you can't just sit back and hope it will be better.

To give an analogy, it's like if you work for a company and you don't complain about them docking your wages for the little things, pretty soon they'll get rid of holiday pay and no overtime etc, they'll see you as a soft target after a while (only an analogy folks :)).

Hey, what about us apathetic uneducated ameteurs!?

I'm anno....actually.....ah feck it, I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

The Irish catch what now?

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    The Irish catch what now?
    At the moment its colds and flu. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think at this time of the year we ought to give just one small belated thought to all those people out there who resemble in so many ways the character of the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge. Oh we know these individuals too well. The people who cared not one ounce about the misfortunes of others from whom they benefited. The people who cared a lot more about their own private gain and profit rather than the welfare of the ordinary man.

Yes, I am indeed lamenting about the lonely bankers, builders and Fianna Fáil politicians. Yes, lonely is indeed the word to describes these creatures. At this festive season, they must feel so abandoned and friendless in their desolate mansions with very little in what might be considered true campaigns to frequent and console with.

Let us pray that between now and Christmas Morning that they might expunge their greedy, insatiable and self-centered ways in recognition of the fervent spirit of Christmas. Let us hope they they might give back what they stole from society and take example from Scrooge and how he saw the error in his ways. Surely they can't be total misanthropes.

It may seem like a perfectly nonsensical fairytale but is there not even the mildest of chances that they might do so? Perhaps a miracle or a visit by three mystical ghosts to their bedchambers to help them realise their failings? It would be so befitting for this time of year that for once we could see the reversal of this land's demise and its redemption with the human spirit of kindness from quite unexpected sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

From the title I thought this was going to be about that Meteor ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Please please PLEASE give the banker, politicians talk a bloody rest. PLEASE!!!!! Just for a little while at least! It's Christmas.

PLEASE!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement