Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

I doubt it will be the end of the party by a long shot but they won't be embraced with the same unconditional support they once had.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nah when thngs don't improve immediatly people will blame whoever got voted back in and FF will get a foothold again

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sadly no they're not finished.

I'd like to see them eradicated from the face of Irish life like the disease that they are, I have to face the sad fact that there are people out there who are still stupid enough to vote for them.

FF voters are mentally deficient.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Biggins wrote: »
    So say we all...

But it's true, Fianna Fail have caused problems before that the next bunch in couldn't fix, Fianna Fail blamed them for being inept and now they've gone and done this all over again...

We'll be in the same position again in 12 / 20 years time.

bladespin wrote: »
    I doubt it will be the end of the party by a long shot but they won't be embraced with the same unconditional support they once had.

Never underestimate human stupidity, especially where the Irish electorate are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Something tells me that we haven't seen the last of the FF party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

But it's true, Fianna Fail have caused problems before that the next bunch in couldn't fix, Fianna Fail blamed them for being inept and now they've gone and done this all over again...

We'll be in the same position again in 12 / 20 years time.
    I know, certainly NOT disagreeing.

The org' will bide their time, peck away at the new government, try to shoot holes in their actions for the sake winning PR points, not for bettering the country in a correct course.
    ...And in time probably at first through a coalition, they will indeed, get back into power.

Till we move away from parish pump thinking and voting, nothing will change.
    It will be the same old political cycle yet again... and again...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I know, certainly NOT disagreeing.

The org' will bide their time, peck away at the new government, try to shoot holes in their actions for the sake winning PR points, not for bettering the country in a correct course.
    ...And in time probably at first through a coalition, they will indeed, get back into power.

Sorry man... mixed up yer despair with sarcism there.

Can be hard to tell the difference sometimes when reading posts...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sorry man... mixed up yer despair with sarcism there.
    Can be hard to tell the difference sometimes when reading posts...
    "So say we all" is from "Battlestar Galacticia". It means "we all agree/think the same" :)

Adama for Taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

pmcmahon wrote: »
    you know whats going to be really frustrating? after doing 4 years of art college you are going to work in mcdonalds :)

Studying Arts is not art college!! It's a regular college; English, Irish etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

We're all finished when this budget comes out! Repent! REPENT!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I voted no. I think they won't last more than a month after the budget (minus Christmas break) but I don't think they will cease to exist as a party.

With fresh blood I think it could be a good party. Other than the corruption and idiocy, their policies (on paper) are more akin to my views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Based on my own insights from rural Ireland , I don't think they'll be finished. It's hard to kill a bad thing. There will always be a die hard support base for Fianna Fail. Even with all that has happened there are still people defending their actions. I think it boils down to ,

A) Family loyalty and an emotional connection linked to patriotism i.e daddy fought for a free Ireland and he was a Fianna Fail man so I'm staying loyal. This coupled with the subsequent indoctrination of the kids and so it goes on and on and on and......

B) Fear of changing the status quo and fear of change in general even though FF have played a big part in changing Ireland for the worst IMO.

C) People have a vested interest in voting FF because it benefits their living and they want to feather their own nest and take care of their brood and let the others be damned. 'Fat neck syndrome' as I call it.

D) The 'There's no other viable choice argument' , Looking at Labour , Sinn Fein & Fine Gael and not seeing any great alternative in any of them.

Hopefully we can use this low juncture in our history to really transform the politics and economy of the country and create a fairer , more self sufficient society. It's a big , big task though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Considering that Fianna Fail are already at an all time low of 13% before the budget comes out, can you contemplate Fianna Fail's support dropping into the single digit zone, or possibly even hitting the floor altogether? This budget is going to anger and frustrate a lot off people and has been described in places as possibly the most draconian budget in the state's history.

So are Fianna Fail finished for good after the 7th of December budget?

With any luck, like yourself when you get your degree, they'll all soon be asking the eternal question
    "Do you want fries with that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

When did arts degrees become four years?

Anyways, I don't think FF will be wiped out like smaller parties have been in the past, FF are an institution.

You are confusing art college and arts degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

If Fianna Fail get a significant amount of seats..we riot!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If Fianna Fail get a significant amount of seats..we riot!

If everyone keeps trying to organise a riot when every little ****ing thing happens in Ireland..we riot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Based on my own insights from rural Ireland , I don't think they'll be finished. It's hard to kill a bad thing. There will always be a die hard support base for Fianna Fail. Even with all that has happened there are still people defending their actions. I think it boils down to ,

A) Family loyalty and an emotional connection linked to patriotism i.e daddy fought for a free Ireland and he was a Fianna Fail man so I'm staying loyal. This coupled with the subsequent indoctrination of the kids and so it goes on and on and on and......

B) Fear of changing the status quo and fear of change in general even though FF have played a big part in changing Ireland for the worst IMO.

C) People have a vested interest in voting FF because it benefits their living and they want to feather their own nest and take care of their brood and let the others be damned. 'Fat neck syndrome' as I call it.

D) The 'There's no other viable choice argument' , Looking at Labour , Sinn Fein & Fine Gael and not seeing any great alternative in any of them.

Hopefully we can use this low juncture in our history to really transform the politics and economy of the country and create a fairer , more self sufficient society. It's a big , big task though.

Well you know the old saying, better the devil that delivered us to the IMF than the one that didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

RonMexico wrote: »
    You are confusing art college and arts degrees.

I'm not, the person who made the McDonalds 'joke' did.

• Advertisement

"So say we all" is from "Battlestar Galacticia". It means "we all agree/think the same" :)

haha, I was brought up on Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ive no faith in the retard public of this country. I think they'll limp on until early spring and even if they do loose the election, it'll be by a much narrower margin than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unfortunately, there are still many confused FF supporters out there, who would rather poke their own eyes out with a stick, than vote for anyone else.

If the mental healthcare system hadn't been hacked to a standstill, these people could be given free counselling, but that's not an option now, so we're stuck with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Reading this thread has made me incredibly sad for the Irish. Do any of you realise just what your leaders have done to you? Do you have any inkling about how long you'll be bearing this burden? Has it occurred to some of you that the bailout is nothing more than all of you paying the credit card bills of the rich and well connected so they don't have to?

Would someone please tell me... why the snark about the legitimate protest tomorrow night that's making the rounds? I would think your anger should be directed more at the people who got the country in the position it is in, not in recycling old hatreds.

I applaud SF for being in direct opposition to the budget and the IMF - no other party has come out with it yet. The reason the "secret names" of the bondholders in the banks are not being named is because some of them are members of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail!! Many around the world are looking at Ireland and wondering what happened to the people. "Where are their voices?" I'm asked here in Brazil. I tell them you've been neutered by decades of prostrating yourself in front of statues, growing up poor, finally getting some money (lol, not really but shhh... don't tell) and the whole time feeling as though you haven't a clue where it came from but it sure is blinding!

I don't understand why what happened during the troubles should be even remotely connected to a Sinn Fein member protesting outside the Dail tonight before the budget that sinks our country is unveiled, is any way relevant. THAT is what riles people up?!?! The majority are just hopelessly lost, I'd prefer us to join Britain at this stage because most of the people in this country haven't even got an idea what they're voting for, nor do they want to or even listen to others opinions. Such tribalism got us here in the first place.

The only thing this thread makes me realize is that- in fighting over the past instead of looking to how your futures, your children's futures, and your families future - a great majority of this country deserve this pain.

You do indeed deserve this budget.

Because you care more about who you stand beside in protest than the actual protest. Thats why tonight SF's stand all night outside the Dail will be laughed at by many...get a grip and understand one thing...

IRELAND IS NOT BROKE! THE WORLD BANK IS BROKE AND THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR POCKET MONEY, YOUR SAVINGS, YOUR ASSETS, YOUR FUTURE! THEY'RE COMING BECAUSE THEY'RE BROKE, NOT US!

It was only a few short weeks ago that some of the usual suspects on here were laughing and predicting damage to SF's by-election campaign in Donegal would because of a sit down protest inside the gates of the Dail where O'Snodaigh was involved again.

Result -the shinners swept the DSW seat from under FF -FG and Lab and also received a surge in the polls. Now we have the same half-wits sneering again over a protest against what will be the most unpopular budget of all time -outside the same building.

Times are moving on -people are fast changing their attitudes and it seems the Shinners are the only ones in tune with this.

But the real laugh here is -these same snigger-posters will be on this site tomorrow night -not posting about O'Snodaigh and SF -but bitching about the budget cuts -and when they are finished bitching -they will lie down, roll over and take it like the good little Irish gombeens we are.

We deserve this!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Did everybody get their complimentary tube of government anal lube in the post today so you would be ready for the budget delivery tomorrow?

The instruction on my tube said "Use entire tube in one application because you're going to need it!"

Got a letter saying 'cuts need to be made, stop whinging', but not sure if it was from the Govt. or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I answered "Yes" in the poll. But that's only because the poll didn't have an option "Hopefully".

Given that enough idiots voted for them in 2007, anything is possible.

The only thing this thread makes me realize is that- in fighting over the past instead of looking to how your futures, your children's futures, and your families future - a great majority of this country deserve this pain.

I was a child 15 years ago and my future is now...

...everyone with an agenda for the children the of future is not thinking about, now. Which is when things need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

http://fullhouse.whitebox.ie/

Be honest with yourself while having a go at that site and you'll see that Fianna Fáil are far from gone. Give us a damn list system i swear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

It's 3am the snow is settling in on the ice cold morning. Tuesday the 7th , eyes of the world watching over Ireland as it's people are either asleep or awake. But one thing stands out each person in the state is bent over. Ready to take the giant pole up them that is Budget 2011.

Well I am warm and thinking to myself, will I put a bet on tomorrow for what tie the finance minister will wear which I think will be red.

What headlines might be in the papers tomorrow?

Will there be a riot ?

Will the bag tax go up to 50c per bag ?

Just how is everyone ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement