Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Should ireland bring in execution for all those corrupted, lying, greedy, bullies that brought the country into the ground - bertie ahern, FF and their gangster developer and banking mates. We could sell tickets for the execution events and could make a few billion.

Yes the guillotine would be ideal for drawing the crowds of spectators, and when it comes to our government, heads should definitely roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

orourkeda wrote: »
    You cant execute someone for being bad at their job.

If there is evidence of a crime fair enough.
    Unfortunately your correct, we have to give them a massive bonus instead:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Terry wrote: »
    No, but stocks would be nice for petty criminals.

I'm not joking about this.
    6 hours having rotten fruit thrown at you in a public arena would be a nice deterrant.
    Throw the guilty party into a town on the other side of the country, give those bearing rotten fruit masks, and then have them let rip.

Post the clip on youtube with the name of the criminal and their hometown as tags.
    Let them be ridiculed by their peers.

Killing people is wrong though.

Well if real guns, pipe bombs,and exposure in various newspapers doesn't work, I have my doubts that rotten fruit will deter them.Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why not make a law where the incompetent and corrupt have to accept their bonuses in coinage form stuffed up their arse?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

execute em??? sure half of em will be reelected ffs:mad:
    ff still get 17% in the polls:mad: i'd personally have no prolem with ahern cowen etc....getting one in the ear but the sad fact is they still have a decent support base out there. until the sheeple of ireland wake the fcuk up and get off their knees and start thinking for themselves quislings like ahern and cowen will continue to shaft us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ireland should become Maoist to be honest. Would be a right craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ireland should become Maoist to be honest. Would be a right craic.

If Enda gets in it will be Mayoist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Should ireland bring in execution for all those corrupted, lying, greedy, bullies that brought the country into the ground - bertie ahern, FF and their gangster developer and banking mates. We could sell tickets for the execution events and could make a few billion.

Absolutely most definitely and affirmatively YES!! In fact they should make public executions legal, like public hangings on O'Connell Street in Dublin or eveN better - public guillotining. No, no, even better yet - public hanging, drawing and quartering for treason! Yes! We should get all the traitorous politicians, bankers and builders and execute them by means of hanging, drawing and quartering in front of the G.P.O.

Bring back these scenes:

IT WOULD BE MOST GLORIOUS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No. Not because I have an objection to capital punishment if done right, but because there's no way they'd do it right in this country. You'd have the wrong man sitting in the electric chair (or whatever), but the executioner wouldn't show up until the next day with an excuse. "Ah, sure, I had another job that went over schedule ... " Administering the death penalty is not a job for feckin' amateurs.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

execute em??? sure half of em will be reelected ffs:mad:
    ff still get 17% in the polls:mad: i'd personally have no prolem with ahern cowen etc....getting one in the ear but the sad fact is they still have a decent support base out there. until the sheeple of ireland wake the fcuk up and get off their knees and start thinking for themselves quislings like ahern and cowen will continue to shaft us.

Thats so scary. It really is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

Does anyone else think that Irish people really love the recession??? Seriously... we NEVER stop talking about how terrible it is, or how miserable we are now.

Before you start shouting at me calling me an idiot and giving me the obligitory hardship stories about being out of work etc (which would be kind of ironic in the context of this topic) let me explain myself.

Over the past few months I have been in several different countries, all of whom have been hit in some way by the global recession. But there is one huge difference in these places = the people don't really talk about it, they just get on with their lives! While here in Ireland, every current affairs program for the past 2 years has been dominated by the Irish economy, the hardship, the banks etc... These programs wouldn't choose such topics if they weren't ratings winners! Irish people just love it!! When is the last time you have spoken to an Irish person without some mention of Brian Cowen, the economy, how Fianna Fail screwed it up, the bankers, anglo Irish, Prime Time, the Front Line, riots, public service pay cuts, job cuts, tax rises, pay cuts in general, how people who leave your workplace aren't being replaced...the list goes on and on.

Seriously, does anyone else think Irish people LOVE the recession. We love making out that our lives are hell when we really should be just getting on with it. Sorting out ourself and accept that its going to take time to make things right and stop bitc*ing about it NIGHT AND DAY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you don't like it here then Cork, Shannon, Galway, Knock, Derry, Belfast, Dublin and Waterford all do international flights.
    Just an option for you

Also the €10 "emigration tax" was reduced in the budget

If you don't like it here then Cork, Shannon, Galway, Knock, Derry, Belfast, Dublin and Waterford all do international flights.
    Just an option for you

Also the €10 "emigration tax" was reduced in the budget

I left a few months ago man. Currently FAR away in a country that was also hit by the downturn, but as I mentioned above is just getting on with life and not talking about it night and day. But I will be home late next year. Just I can't ring home without hearing about it. I honestly do think that causes half of Irelands problems... constant negativity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Nothing like misery and a nice cuppa tae.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Same here.

It feels good been in a well-governed country (Canada) with good prospects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Did you watch primetime tonight? The Irish have an absolute god given right to be fcuking raging. We are well entitled to moan if we wish. There will be a revelotion. Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Honestly, a revolution against what exactly? A revolution against ourselves?? Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Honestly, a revolution against what exactly? A revolution against ourselves?? Give me a break.
    A political revolution against a broken and corrupt system.

Yes we do have the right to be raging. I totally agree. But like any problem you have in life, contstant, never ending moaning is not going to fix the problem, it will only prolong it...

There are 5 stages of grief that you could apply to the death of the Celtic Tiger... The first is denial, then Anger followed by bargaining, depression and then acceptance. I think the national mindset is stuck somewhere between on Anger and depression! We need to move on to acceptance and get on with life! "yeah we had it good...we lost it...we were sad and pissed but we got on with it!'

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Hold on a minute, we are getting on with it, we've no other choice. There will always be Joe bloody Duffy, frontline etc but they don't matter or will get us back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Irishoz wrote: »
    I honestly do think that causes half of Irelands problems... constant negativity

Sorry Bertie but no, I won't go and commit suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Irishoz wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Irish people really love the recession??? Seriously... we NEVER stop talking about how terrible it is, or how miserable we are now.

Before you start shouting at me calling me an idiot and giving me the obligitory hardship stories about being out of work etc (which would be kind of ironic in the context of this topic) let me explain myself.

Over the past few months I have been in several different countries, all of whom have been hit in some way by the global recession. But there is one huge difference in these places = the people don't really talk about it, they just get on with their lives! While here in Ireland, every current affairs program for the past 2 years has been dominated by the Irish economy, the hardship, the banks etc... These programs wouldn't choose such topics if they weren't ratings winners! Irish people just love it!! When is the last time you have spoken to an Irish person without some mention of Brian Cowen, the economy, how Fianna Fail screwed it up, the bankers, anglo Irish, Prime Time, the Front Line, riots, public service pay cuts, job cuts, tax rises, pay cuts in general, how people who leave your workplace aren't being replaced...the list goes on and on.

Seriously, does anyone else think Irish people LOVE the recession. We love making out that our lives are hell when we really should be just getting on with it. Sorting out ourself and accept that its going to take time to make things right and stop bitc*ing about it NIGHT AND DAY!!

Rewind a few years.......
    Irish People LOVE the property market
    Does anyone else think that Irish people really love the property market??? Seriously... we NEVER stop talking about how good it is, or how much our house has increased in value .

Before you start shouting at me calling me an idiot and giving me the obligitory property ladder stories about getting your foot on it etc (which would be kind of ironic in the context of this topic) let me explain myself.
    Yadda, yadda, yadda

People talk about what is relevant at present just like people in Oz talk about kangaroos, Paul hogan, and the bush telegraph.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

NAMA announced this morning that they will go after the assets developers transferred to their spouses.

The reason they transferred these properites was because NAMA announced it's formation a month before it came into effect. By announcing what they are going after,long before they do, NAMA give the spouses time to transfer the property to another party out of reach.

*facepalm*

the FG TD on Primetime last night was a joke. "This is terrible, outragous, terrible, terrible" what would you do different? "terrible, outragous, terrible, terrible"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Do we go down the obvious conspiracy theory route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It isn't as easy to transfer property to someone other than a spouse. For one thing you will have to pay tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

this has been going on for years...

fool us once.... fool us eh... 15,000 times?

irish don't give a ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This is good news, but I hope they don't dismantle the system of protections that has built up over the last few decades for spouses.

We should never go back to the day when the wife comes home to find the house sold to pay the husband's gambling debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This is good news, but I hope they don't dismantle the system of protections that has built up over the last few decades for spouses.

We should never go back to the day when the wife comes home to find the house sold to pay the husband's gambling debts.

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

So just looking at latest Primetime developer expose, yet again the media and the public catch on to some obvious scandal or glaring problem months or years after it has been predicted. It seems we are always a penny late and a pound short when it comes to copping on to something.

- The banks were giving out loans for property development equal to over twice Ireland's GDP by end of the boom (unheard of in any other country), nothing was said about this at the time

- The bank guarantee, hardly a peep out of anyone until Sept 2010 (two years after going into force and) even though it was guaranteeing private debt equal to twice Ireland's GDP and many of the original bondholders have been paid back in the meantime

- Developers were openly 'boosting' the value of their assets pre-Nama yet NAMA still overvalued their loans, nothing was done

- Developers switched their loans into spouses names, a completely legal and predictable target that has been used by other businessmen over the years, yet NAMA and the government failed to deal with this problem at the start which obviously puts a big hole in their plans, again been going on for almost two years, only now being debated!

- The Croke Park agreement was signed even though it was obvious that a part of the savings needed to fix the economy could only be made by reducing salary expenditure, salaries being a huge part of government expenditure, now of course people are complaining about this

So is it the case that the general public is at fault for not educating themselves quickly enough about how the world works? Are these issues too complicated for the 'common' man or not?
    Is it they are too trusting?
    Or is it the media that is too slow or too incapable in investigating these things when they actually happen and not giving them enough coverage?

What is the reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

maninasia wrote: »
    Bla, bla bla....Look at me, I'm great, I knew about all this even before it started. Why are you guys so slow?

I see....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement