Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Biggins wrote: »
    O' for gods sake!
    I sick of people raising this bloody question week in, week out.

Its life, people's very real worries and some looking for answers to real money problems.
    Get over it for frigs sake!

If all you have to moan about is reading now the occasional thread about the economy and Irish socio-political goings on and their interrelationship, get fcukin' over it - your doing well!

The mods are doing a great job of keeping such threads low in number anyway!

Fcuk me! Moan bloody moan about threads!
    Don't like a thread - stay the schite away! Its not rocket science!

Amen to that Biggins! The country has never been in a sh1thole like this before, so it will naturally be a topical subject. The clue for threads is often in the title, so if you don't like the thread stay out of it. Plenty of threads about that I've no interest in, so I stay away and it's not complicated really. As Biggins rightly said, the Mods have things under control so stop wannabe modding/backseat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

alwaysadub wrote: »
    how many ninja edits did you do?! :pac:

Enough to make Sho Kosugi proud.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    mm pizza. Pity they don't do breakfast deliveries..

Oven ready pizza, put your oven on a timer and wake up to freshly (defrosted and reheated) pizza. ;)

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-bailout-or-default-2010-11/?voted=1
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen said last night that leaving the eurozone was not an option, but what do you think? Should we have defaulted on our banking debts and left the euro, or was taking the bailout the most sensible option

Vote!!

I remember a poll on the banking guarantee here maybe back in 2008, do people still hold the view that we should have taken this route?

Are more people thinking we should have taken the Icelandic route?

Cant do polls over in the economics forum for some stupid reason so maybe after hours mods could move this back to economics when its created :D pls

The two sweetest words in the English language!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Default? Woohoo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Don't default straight away, maybe in 6 - 12 months, depending on how other countries, i.e. Spain, Italy are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

Would people be better moving their Euros into another currency now? The end is nigh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Default, hmm...........what about Restore To Factory Settings?

Duggy747 wrote: »

We'd have to planet a lot of trees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wouldn't defaulting essentially mean we would have to make 19 Billion of cuts in a single year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cant do polls over in the economics forum for some stupid reason

That's coz they dunno how to count over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Duggy747 wrote: »

We all know what factory setting them germans like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't know what a tra...

I don't know what's gonna happen cos of this bailout.

and

I don't know what's gonna happen if we default and/or leave the euro.

This whole situation is full of ****e

marco_polo wrote: »
    Wouldn't defaulting essentially mean we would have to make 19 Billion of cuts in a single year?

Yes, but a structured default would still be cheaper than accepting the bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

marco_polo wrote: »

As opposed to the 15 billion in the 4 year plan AND 5billion a year interest on the loan!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    As opposed to the 15 billion in the 4 year plan AND 5billion a year interest on the loan!?!

Very true.

It appears that Cowen & Lenihan have something in common with the economics forum in that they cannot count.

But let's be very clear on this - Ireland is not getting a bailout. The Irish people are not getting a bailout. The country doesn't need this money.

What has happened is that Irish banks gambled the monies of foreign investors and lost it. Billions of pounds worth of the stuff.

Now, the Irish government have promised the EU that the Irish people will pay back all the money that the banks lost.

And we will start paying it back from our assets - firstly by raiding the piggy bank which is the state pension fund.

If Ireland was a company & the company decided to raid the pensions fund to pay off debts like the government plan to do, this would be highly illegal & the company would end up in court & in some serious shit.

But Ireland is not a company & the government are just idiots pretending that it is & that they are businessmen who know what they are doing.

Quite simply - they don't.

When Ireland spoke of defaulting, the EU got extremely nervous. The reason for this is that they had far more to lose than to gain by Ireland defaulting.

Joan Burton quite astutely compared this to a poker game & in this poker game we held all the aces.

But as usual, we lost the upper hand, through sheer incompetance - which has been the mainstay of Fianna Fail since they were first elected.

This bailout - or at the very least, the terms & conditions which are imposed on it - are a total disaster for the country & will leave us economically reeling for at least 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Take the money (not a bailout), buy us some time, watch how things go, renegotiate, clean up/cut loose the banks and their debts bit by bit. New government, new ball game, basically you need a tactical default over time.

Defaulting now across the board could leave us in a similar financial mess for years. It's no great solution either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think your description is how things will eventually play out. It will be interesting to see if the Euro survives this speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Loads of threads about defaulting and the bailout in the Irish Economy forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Just trying to guage public opinion on the bailout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A crippling loan is what this country needs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I would like to know more about the repercussions of defaulting and the position it would leave Ireland in were it to happen.

If a bailout is appropriate I'll look at what the other parties/unions are proposing for austerity measures and see how they measure up to the current deal. I already think the interest is too high and the government messed up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blade912

Found this interesting,

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation.html

The more we pay the bankers and politicians the worse they perform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The state we're in is called Ireland. Easy enough I'd have thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

maybe if we paid them to **** they would bank better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

Hmmm

www.ted.com.

I'd say

Careful Now

...hat,coat,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

It's an accepted fact that the Celtic Tiger started at six minutes past three on the afternoon of the 12th of June 1988 when Ray Houghton scored against England.

Can anyone identify the date when it ended?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement