Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

davo2001 wrote: »
    Is that the place that used to sell hair products that closed a few months ago?

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

mart 23 wrote: »
    Will the jewellery shop remain or is it already gone ?

Was wondering the same thing when i heard the announcement .

also on the cecil street side there is an old "budget car " ad/sign that has been there (painted / printed onto the wall )forever ,although it has faded more in recent years than in all the previous years id be sad to see it go ....its nothing significent just a nice throwback to days gone by. the 2009 google image it was more prominent

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6618076,-8.6288916,3a,75y,68.79h,104.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svvnOjC2bh2L7ZfobahE-Yg!2e0!5s20090501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

geotrig wrote: »
    also on the cecil street side there is an old "budget car " ad/sign that has been there (painted / printed onto the wall )forever ,although it has faded more in recent years than in all the previous years id be sad to see it go ....its nothing significent just a nice throwback to days gone by. the 2009 google image it was more prominent

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6618076,-8.6288916,3a,75y,68.79h,104.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svvnOjC2bh2L7ZfobahE-Yg!2e0!5s20090501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I love those old street signs. I wonder could something be done to salvage it or keep it? If the Budget sign was freshened up a bit it would look really cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CEX are opening in the Parkway tomorrow morning. Good luck to them, hope it does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Just noticed that The Clarion Hotel is now called The Clayton Hotel. Did it change hands or is it just a rebranding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zulutango wrote: »
    Just noticed that The Clarion Hotel is now called The Clayton Hotel. Did it change hands or is it just a rebranding?

Every Clarion is the Clayton Hotel now. It's part of the Dalata Hotel Group

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

That's the one.

Any idea what butcher?You have Hogans o Conells o Connors Butcher boys and o loughlins all within 30 secs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

bigpink wrote: »
    Any idea what butcher?You have Hogans o Conells o Connors Butcher boys and o loughlins all within 30 secs

The name on the planning notice says Pat O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

bigpink wrote: »

The Tenderloin.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

More openings at Castletroy Shopping Centre.

Flanagans Barbers, beside sweet shop.
    A Dry cleaners.
    Starbucks..

Certainly filling the units up.

New management seem eager, knocking the three units into one for Meadows and Byrne was a good move.

• Advertisement

Starbucks..

I'd say Hook & Ladder are delighted about that. :o

Nice to see, though. I know Starbucks have their haters, but I like the coffee there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

don't think Hook & ladder will suffer too much, to my untrained eye I reckon different crowds for both places.

Costa at the cinema will probably suffer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mr E wrote: »

Nice to see, though. I know Starbucks have their haters, but I like the coffee there.

Hook and Ladder seem to offer a different albeit ridiculously priced offering, their coffee actually tastes nice as well.

Was in the SC last night and looks so much better now. Saw the barbers going in where the newsagent used to be. The old car accessories place was the only building that looks wanting of a tenant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They are now calling it Castletroy Town centre! Not a lot to the place really, a sweet shop that will probably fold after christmas, a sort of pop up bookshop, a ridiculously priced art & craft shop, Supervalue(how many folk fill a trolley in there?) . The post office is the only magnet to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

They are now calling it Castletroy Town centre! Not a lot to the place really, a sweet shop that will probably fold after christmas, a sort of pop up bookshop, a ridiculously priced art & craft shop, Supervalue(how many folk fill a trolley in there?) . The post office is the only magnet to the place.

Not a lot to the place relative to The Crescent, but it's still pretty decent in its own right, and at least the owners are making an effort to move it in the right direction. The prices in the arts & craft place wouldn't concern me, Castletroy is quite an affluent area, as evidenced McGuirks golf opening to cater for that market. Hook & Ladder is also on the expensive side, but always seems to be busy. I'd expect Meadows & Byrne to do similarly well. As for SuperValu, I do my weekly shop there as do many others. I don't see the reason to be so negative...

Not a lot to the place relative to The Crescent, but it's still pretty decent in its own right, and at least the owners are making an effort to move it in the right direction. The prices in the arts & craft place wouldn't concern me, Castletroy is quite an affluent area, as evidenced McGuirks golf opening to cater for that market. Hook & Ladder is also on the expensive side, but always seems to be busy. I'd expect Meadows & Byrne to do similarly well. As for SuperValu, I do my weekly shop there as do many others. I don't see the reason to be so negative...
    Really! Did you ever take a closer look in H& L, couples catching up on a chat and nursing cappuchinos for half an hour. Castletroy may have had a name for being affluent but ask any tradesman, getting them to part with money is a whole new ballgame. As for you doing your weekly shop in Supervalue fair enough at least you will never have to queue for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Really! Did you ever take a closer look in H& L, couples catching up on a chat and nursing cappuchinos for half an hour. Castletroy may have had a name for being affluent but ask any tradesman, getting them to part with money is a whole new ballgame. As for you doing your weekly shop in Supervalue fair enough at least you will never have to queue for long.

Anyone looking for more of this kinda thing should check out the Young professionals thread in AH. Contains such chippy-shoulder gems as
    zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Young professionals: Aka Trinity Graduates who put on these Anglo Irish/D4 accents, won't shop anywhere for groceries other than Marks & Spencers, only buys the best of the best in Brown Thomas clothes wise and handbag wise, drives a giant petrol guzzling SUV paid for by their work, even though their work doesn't require them to have a vehicle of that size, rendering the vehicle pretty f**king pointless not to mention bad for the environment.

Also a lot of them have this darwinism view on having a family and live a generally robotic life of getting up and going to work everyday, and bitching for most of their 30s about why can't they find a suitable partner, while getting a huge wage packet only to put the majority of it in the bank never to see the light of day, and if they eventually do have a family when they hit their 40's. Normal folk get confused wondering are they the dad or the Grandad, either way by the time the child reaches it's teens, the parents are both in their mid to late 50's, they are getting old and tired therefore can't keep up with whatever their children are up to and don't reprimand the kid when they get out of line, they turn out to be spoiled entitled brats who have their hand out for money all the time and don't do a tap to earn it.

Anyone looking for more of this kinda thing should check out the Young professionals thread in AH. Contains such chippy-shoulder gems as

? Not my post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

? Not my post!

Not singling you out at all, you happen to be active on a lot of the same threads I am interested in today. The thread I linked does have a lot of reverse snobbery from several posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Hook & Ladder is a goldmine. It's wedged every day for breakfast and lunch. You are sorely mistaken if you think otherwise. I know the family that owns it and they say things couldn't be going better. They have four of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Starbucks coffee is muck. At the risk of sounding like a complete coffee snob (which I'm not), only people that know nothing about coffee and simply like the idea of drinking it think that Starbucks is good. Pónaire beans from Limerick are delicious. A lot of places in Dublin are being supplied by them. Unfortunately the café and roastery they had in Annacotty has moved out to Newport.

You can get Badger & Dodo in The Stormy Teacup and in The White House as well from what I gather, which is pretty top quality.

Please, avoid Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is muck. At the risk of sounding like a complete coffee snob (which I'm not), only people that know nothing about coffee and simply like the idea of drinking it think that Starbucks is good. Pónaire beans from Limerick are delicious. A lot of places in Dublin are being supplied by them. Unfortunately the café and roastery they had in Annacotty has moved out to Newport.

You can get Badger & Dodo in The Stormy Teacup and in The White House as well from what I gather, which is pretty top quality.

Please, avoid Starbucks.

Believe it or not, some people just prefer the likes of Starbucks for many reasons other than the name or because they "know nothing about coffee" which is pretty patronising. For example, I like it because they have a much bigger selection of flavours, iced coffees and teas, blended drinks, etc. They also offer dairy alternatives for vegans like soy and coconut milk (and almond milk soon) which is difficult to find elsewhere.

Their rewards program is also great with a free drink every 15th visit, free drink on your birthday, regular BOGOF promotions for members and freebies (extra shots, flavourings, etc) when you reach a certain level.

It's ok to just let people like what they like sometimes. Different people are looking for different things from a cup of coffee and that's ok.

Big Franchise brands are comforting to people for different reasons. Starbucks is helpful when in another town, city or country because you invariably know the range, the flow of the store and how they serve you the beverage, ask your name etc.

And yeah some people like the branded cups.

Hook & Ladder is a goldmine. It's wedged every day for breakfast and lunch. You are sorely mistaken if you think otherwise. I know the family that owns it and they say things couldn't be going better. They have four of them now.

That's good to hear. Perhaps that means that those left high and dry from their previous venture might get paid.

Starbucks coffee is muck. At the risk of sounding like a complete coffee snob (which I'm not), only people that know nothing about coffee and simply like the idea of drinking it think that Starbucks is good.

You kinda do come across as a coffee snob, to be honest. I drink a lot of coffee from a lot of different places and I like Starbucks. Don't be so patronising. Different people have different tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

I am a coffee snob but love the fact Starbucks is open late serve OK coffee in a nice location in the centre of town

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

You kinda do come across as a coffee snob, to be honest. I drink a lot of coffee from a lot of different places and I like Starbucks. Don't be so patronising. Different people have different tastes.

Nothing wrong with a bit of education, I like coffee but have no opinion on Starbucks, if somebody who is anot expert says it's muck then you can choose to take that advice or not. Some people enjoy wine from cardboard boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

bazz26 wrote: »

Classic! Well to be fair it took 18 years from that episode in 1998 to us getting one Starbucks in Limerick. So we're only a little behind.

I remember doing my first job in that cafe in Arthurs Quay after school and some American's asked where there was a Starbucks and tried to get the WIFI (back in like 04). I laughed at the idea of Starbucks in Limerick and they totally weren't getting it. They got really quiet and offended. Guess they thought there must be one every 30 steps apart. :D

Advertisement