Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

Classic! Well to be fair it took 18 years from that episode in 1998 to us getting one Starbucks in Limerick. So we're only a little behind.

3 actually that I know of :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Another phone accessories shop opening on high st, in a part of the unit that used to be The Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

That's good to hear. Perhaps that means that those left high and dry from their previous venture might get paid.

Know very little about it. Limited liability etc. I suppose.

le_girl wrote: »
    Believe it or not, some people just prefer the likes of Starbucks for many reasons other than the name or because they "know nothing about coffee" which is pretty patronising. For example, I like it because they have a much bigger selection of flavours, iced coffees and teas, blended drinks, etc. They also offer dairy alternatives for vegans like soy and coconut milk (and almond milk soon) which is difficult to find elsewhere.

Their rewards program is also great with a free drink every 15th visit, free drink on your birthday, regular BOGOF promotions for members and freebies (extra shots, flavourings, etc) when you reach a certain level.

It's ok to just let people like what they like sometimes. Different people are looking for different things from a cup of coffee and that's ok.

I can't argue with much of that. I did realise I was at risk of sounding like a snob and, well, I did! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am tight by nature and hate the idea of overpaying for something as basic as a cup of coffee that isn't particularly good. Their prices are pretty ridiculous compared to most others.

As for the dairy alternatives, I see very few places that don't offer them nowadays as I get them myself plenty of times. The more hipster the better in my experience, like Stormy Teacup, who are far more competitively priced with a huge range of alternatives as well.

People can like what they like, but we're here to give opinions and that is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I can't argue with much of that. I did realise I was at risk of sounding like a snob and, well, I did! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am tight by nature and hate the idea of overpaying for something as basic as a cup of coffee that isn't particularly good. Their prices are pretty ridiculous compared to most others.

As for the dairy alternatives, I see very few places that don't offer them nowadays as I get them myself plenty of times. The more hipster the better in my experience, like Stormy Teacup, who are far more competitively priced with a huge range of alternatives as well.

People can like what they like, but we're here to give opinions and that is mine.

Opinions are helpful, especially when they're backed up by more reasoning other than because the product is "muck" which, even though I might not know a lot about coffee, seems like a gross exaggeration.

What's not so helpful is urging people to avoid one particular place and talking down to or patronising them. I enjoy Starbucks for all of the reasons that I mention plus more, not because I know nothing about coffee and only like the idea of drinking it (!?). I'm fairly sure I enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't spend 4 quid on it.

The fact is that we're lucky enough to have the independent hipster coffee shops as well as the huge chains which is a great thing and the best case scenario. And people are free to spend their money where they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Whether it's muck or not (a lot of people seem to think it is to be fair), at least it opens late and is an option for hanging out in the evenings in a place that isn't a pub or junk food shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think anytime that an internationally recognised brand decides to open in Limerick it can only be a good thing.

FWIW - I rarely have the time/inclination to go drinking these days so getting out for an overpriced coffee is a welcome treat. The more the merrier I say.

FWIW II - Costa coffee is toxic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Out of interest how many coffee shops in the area of Thomas Street have closed down since Starbucks opened? A lot of people said they were doomed and it was going to kill the local trade. Seems to be buzzing anytime I'm down there.

Opinions are helpful, especially when they're backed up by more reasoning other than because the product is "muck" which, even though I might not know a lot about coffee, seems like a gross exaggeration.

What's not so helpful is urging people to avoid one particular place and talking down to or patronising them. I enjoy Starbucks for all of the reasons that I mention plus more, not because I know nothing about coffee and only like the idea of drinking it (!?). I'm fairly sure I enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't spend 4 quid on it.

The fact is that we're lucky enough to have the independent hipster coffee shops as well as the huge chains which is a great thing and the best case scenario. And people are free to spend their money where they like.

I thought the crux of my original point was (while being patronising, admittedly) that there is an availability of far higher quality beans from places that serve better cups of coffee in a number of different places in the city and surrounds, including locally produced beans which I would always encourage supporting over a multi-billion dollar company that people rush to because they recognise it as a brand.

I certainly didn't expect everyone to agree with me and am glad to get the opinion of you and others on the issue, who enjoy going there.

If you want me to go into the ins and outs of what makes the quality of Starbucks coffee poorer due to reasons such as automation of certain elements and the temperature their beans are roasted at, I would be happy to, but didn't want to go full coffee nerd.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Out of interest how many coffee shops in the area of Thomas Street have closed down since Starbucks opened? A lot of people said they were doomed and it was going to kill the local trade. Seems to be buzzing anytime I'm down there.

The Sandwich Shop across the road closed, but it's hard to say if it was anything to do with Starbucks. Is Gloria Jeans still open?

Whatever the reason, there seems to be an insane demand for coffee in this city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

zulutango wrote: »
    The Sandwich Shop across the road closed, but it's hard to say if it was anything to do with Starbucks. Is Gloria Jeans still open?

Whatever the reason, there seems to be an insane demand for coffee in this city!

I was a regular in the Sandwich Shop for years and I'd say it closing had sfa to do with Starbucks, the place changed hands several times and at each stage seemed to take step back quality wise.

I used to love going there myself. It was one of the better places to get lunch in town. Interestingly, the food quality was always very good and the service too (although the way it was set up often caused delays), but it wasn't a place that could deal with any kind of decent throughput of people.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I thought the crux of my original point was (while being patronising, admittedly) that there is an availability of far higher quality beans from places that serve better cups of coffee in a number of different places in the city and surrounds, including locally produced beans which I would always encourage supporting over a multi-billion dollar company that people rush to because they recognise it as a brand.

That's another bit of a generalisation. Not everyone runs there because of the brand name (I and others have listed lots of reasons). You should probably give people a bit more credit. Not everyone that chooses a chain like Starbucks is a brainless corporate slave, I don't assume that everyone that chooses the independent place is a hipster coffee snob.

There are far more reasons why people might choose one place over another other than the beans. If I want a matcha latte at 8pm, the Stormy Teacup ain't much good to me.

Happy Christmas to you too, le_girl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

That's another bit of a generalisation. Not everyone runs there because of the brand name (I and others have listed lots of reasons). You should probably give people a bit more credit. Not everyone that chooses a chain like Starbucks is a brainless corporate slave, I don't assume that everyone that chooses the independent place is a hipster coffee snob.

There are far more reasons why people might choose one place over another other than the beans. If I want a matcha latte at 8pm, the Stormy Teacup ain't much good to me.

at 8pm...thats nuts...ya would never sleep ffs...

hipsters these days.

zulutango wrote: »
    Happy Christmas to you too, le_girl :pac:

Did I say something wrong? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

A new gym called The Arena is opening in Newcastle West on January 9th in the Desmond Business Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I saw someone here ask if Gloria Jeans is still open - they opened a new one in Arthur's Quay and every time I have walked by, they have been quite busy.

Personally love Starbucks for a good ol' treat. It's very close to my apartment and I love the different choices. Matcha green tea latte seems to be my fave lately. I also enjoy the fact that it's nicely lit, comfy and cozy, plugs all over (handy when I was writing my dissertation this summer) and if I feel like a drink late in the evening, I can pop on over. I am obviously not a fan of the prices or the hype that it brings but whatever.

I am not a fan of the Stormy Teacup tbh... feels too much like I am a struggling writer when I sit there.

Anyone see that Funky Donut are opening another shop in Nenagh? Seems they are building themselves quite a monopoly around Limerick.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Another phone accessories shop opening on high st, in a part of the unit that used to be The Hub.

Dunno if its the same one but L&Z repairs just opened by the milk market - near that Lemon cafe thing. Don't understand the name and definitely don't understand the reason for these places.

Do they seriously make money?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Seems to loads of Aisan phone places same with kebab shops lol
    Wonder why no irish phone repair places?

Aragneer wrote: »
    I saw someone here ask if Gloria Jeans is still open - they opened a new one in Arthur's Quay and every time I have walked by, they have been quite busy.

Personally love Starbucks for a good ol' treat. It's very close to my apartment and I love the different choices. Matcha green tea latte seems to be my fave lately. I also enjoy the fact that it's nicely lit, comfy and cozy, plugs all over (handy when I was writing my dissertation this summer) and if I feel like a drink late in the evening, I can pop on over. I am obviously not a fan of the prices or the hype that it brings but whatever.

I am not a fan of the Stormy Teacup tbh... feels too much like I am a struggling writer when I sit there.

Anyone see that Funky Donut are opening another shop in Nenagh? Seems they are building themselves quite a monopoly around Limerick.

Went to the Stormy teacup for the first time recently nice idea but the place is an icebox and stinks.Too much clutter and bad seating dobt get the hype at all

bigpink wrote: »
    Seems to loads of Aisan phone places same with kebab shops lol
    Wonder why no irish phone repair places?

Thing is the only people I see in there are friends and family of the owners. I have never actually seen a real customer in there. It seems to be a thing in all Irish towns, even the smallest but why? and how are they able to fund it?

In reply to your Stormy Teacup message, I feel the same. My old American housemates used to love it and really thought it depicted their 'romantic vision of Ireland' but I agree, it smells and it's crowded and the crowd that I usually find in there are always very loud and pretentious (no offence to any of you who go there - I must be just getting a weird crowd hahaha)

Mod Note Seriously!!!!! You can't be posting that.

Mod Note Linked to above

Sorry for double post but I just remembered something that bothered me.

The shoe store on William Street that closed down, just at the junction where you turn down and can get to the milkmarket. They turned that into a bookies. I was really hoping we'd get something nicer there 'cause that part of William Street is pretty rundown looking...

Looking forward to seeing what new retailers move into the Crescent expansion. Anyone have any clue??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Subway have moved into one of the new units already. I heard Gloria jeans or something similar are taking another but that may just be in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

seen work happening inside the old currys on william street this morning
    anyone any idea whats happening

the walls were stripped to the wooden beems.

also noticed two guys in suits look inside and outside the old pstb on sarsfield st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

dunworth1 wrote: »

also noticed two guys in suits look inside and outside the old pstb on sarsfield st

Wetherspoons- The Standing Order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

At the Castletroy SC, whats going into the large double unit facing the outside to the left of the main entrance doors - the ones near the new computer repair shop/sweet shop? I saw construction workers busy there just before Christmas.

Advertisement