Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

tippman1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great business model.
    I mean, the class of scoundrel who drinks a pint or two of Beamish (myself included) deserves short shrift in any decent licensed premises nowadays.

Indeed it's a very popular drink and can be a decent alternative to Guinness.
    One of the few bars in the city centre not to have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Its a great alternative.stereotype but drank by more alt crowd alot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sounds like a great business model.
    I mean, the class of scoundrel who drinks a pint or two of Beamish (myself included) deserves short shrift in any decent licensed premises nowadays.

It's kind of obvious they're trying to deter certain people who used to frequent the place from continuing to frequenting the place. Not sure why you're getting so snotty. There's plenty of Guinness only places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It's kind of obvious they're trying to deter certain people who used to frequent the place from continuing to frequenting the place. Not sure why you're getting so snotty. There's plenty of Guinness only places around.

I'm not getting the least bit snotty. Did you not get the little bit of satire in my reply?

So, what "certain people" do you associate with drinking Beamish? My local pub out the Ennis Road serves a lot of Beamish and I'd say most of the users are middle-aged but I'm not sure how you categorise 'certain people' you refer to here: "It's kind of obvious they're trying to deter certain people who used to frequent the place from continuing to frequenting the place."

Is there an upper age-limit for desirable clientele in the White House now?

I'm not getting the least bit snotty. Did you not get the little bit of satire in my reply?

So, what "certain people" do you associate with drinking Beamish? My local pub out the Ennis Road serves a lot of Beamish and I'd say most of the users are middle-aged but I'm not sure how you categorise 'certain people' you refer to here: "It's kind of obvious they're trying to deter certain people who used to frequent the place from continuing to frequenting the place."

People who used to drink in there who drank Beamish who they don't want in there anymore. Not everyone who drinks Beamish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

I would say it's more to do with the fact that the Beamish drinkers sat down for five hours in the afternoon and drank two or three pints, and talked rope to the bar staff and annoyed people who were in there at lunch. I know a lot of single people used to drink in there who were of an older age profile.

I know they had the same problem in Bourke's. The pub would be quarter filled with people who were essentially spending no money and staying in there for the entire day - it's a pain in the ass for someone trying to run a profitable business and get a crowd willing to spend money in there on a regular basis.

Looks cleaned up but hard to tell was it changed much by looking in.downstairs needed work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I would say it's more to do with the fact that the Beamish drinkers sat down for five hours in the afternoon and drank two or three pints, and talked rope to the bar staff and annoyed people who were in there at lunch. I know a lot of single people used to drink in there who were of an older age profile.

I know they had the same problem in Bourke's. The pub would be quarter filled with people who were essentially spending no money and staying in there for the entire day - it's a pain in the ass for someone trying to run a profitable business and get a crowd willing to spend money in there on a regular basis.

Sounds reasonable alright, and maybe I'm totally out of step, but to stop selling Beamish in order to get them to move on sounds like overkill.

Myself, I happen to prefer the taste of Beamish and it's my first choice but I also enjoy Guinness too and even though I don't drink in the White House so it doesn't bother me either way, but it's a pity if they have to restrict the choice of beers they serve in order to achieve their goal.

But wouldnt be be better to have a few older nicer customers buying a pint or two then no one in there?Is this the way trade thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

wigsa100 wrote: »

I worked in a nearby pub for a good few years and those particular beamish drinkers were funked out after a while. They believed themselves to have an ownership in the establishment as they were there so often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I worked in a nearby pub for a good few years and those particular beamish drinkers were funked out after a while. They believed themselves to have an ownership in the establishment as they were there so often

I was in a few Limerick pubs tonight that attract the 'wrong clientele' and everyone was drinking Tuborg.
    Clearly Beamish is being much maligned on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Its a pity a Limerick Museum couldnt be funded cover a alot more stuff than rugby.Limerick needs to think beyond Munster Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bigpink wrote: »
    Its a pity a Limerick Museum couldnt be funded cover a alot more stuff than rugby.Limerick needs to think beyond Munster Rugby

Agreed.

The heritage of the city is probably a stronger asset than rugby in the long run. We should be heavily investing in it, in my opinion.

That said, I think the project announced above will be a great addition to the city.

It's not a Munster Rugby museum though and from what I can see it has nothing at all to do with Munster. Limerick was a famous rugby city a long time before the Munster bandwagon took off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Jeez the begrudgery in this place is laughable at time. It's like saying about the aquarium in Galway "I think Galway needs to think beyond fish". Why does Dublin have a Madam Tussaud? Can't Dublin think outside of the box... oh they have Leprechaun museum why is Dublin feeding into this stereotype of the Irish?
    It is easy to find negativity if that is all you are looking for, this is a good thing, it will bring jobs during the construction, it will bring jobs while it is running, it will be something else that we can tell people to visit. So why not.
    Also we have other museums in Limerick that deal with other aspects of Limerick's past, so why not this.

Its private money i think?Build it good for the construction jobs ands its a also a minor tourist attraction
    But Limerick needs to promote more than rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

I think it's a great initiative. I can see it being an attraction along the lines of the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, obviously on a far smaller scale. You can go to a museum anywhere in the continent. This will be unique. No doubt with McManus providing the investment it will be a high quality project, as he's not in the habit of investing in crap. It's in a part of town that desperately needs investment. Hopefully it will kick further plans off up Cecil St, which isn't exactly an attractive area these days.

To say "Limerick needs to think beyond Munster" is misguided and as has already been pointed out, sounds bitter. The games against Glasgow, NZ Maori and Leicester on Saturday were probably the three biggest nights the hospitality sector has had in the city this year. And with Munster playing the way they are, there will hopefully be plenty more between now and the end of the season and beyond.

Like it or not, rugby is a massive draw for the city and if we can utilise that to create more jobs and attract more visitors, then why not? People coming from other provinces and other clubs in Europe will be incentivised to travel by coming to see this place, which will be the first of its kind in the world.

Of course as I've said many times, Limerick's Georgian Quarter needs a hell of a lot of love because it has the potential to be incredible, but it's projects like this that will encourage other people to invest, privately, in the city. Let's not forget that 30% of the place is empty at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Its private money i think?Build it good for the construction jobs ands its a also a minor tourist attraction
    But Limerick needs to promote more than rugby

You've probably one of Ireland's greatest rugby players and JP whose sports mad who has invested money into all levels of sports in Limerick so I doubt they were gonna promote an art gallery or medieval museum.

You've probably one of Ireland's greatest rugby players and JP whose sports mad who has invested money into all levels of sports in Limerick so I doubt they were gonna promote an art gallery or medieval museum.

Well, he was throwing money at that ridiculous bridge plan so it doesn't sound like he's too discerning where his money goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »
    Well, he was throwing money at that ridiculous bridge plan so it doesn't sound like he's too discerning where his money goes!

No one said officially that he was donating the money just that there was a private investor believed to be JP McManus. He probably gets linked to anything in the city that has money being privately invested in it so would take them rumours with a pinch of salt.

No one said officially that he was donating the money just that there was a private investor believed to be JP McManus. He probably gets linked to anything in the city that has money being privately invested in it so would take them rumours with a pinch of salt.

No, it was confirmed by that new paper Limerick Life. It's 100% certain at this stage that JP is the guy giving the money.

Now, in saying that, it was really the Council's fault. JP wanted to do something good for the city and asked the Council what he could help with. The Council came up with the bridge idea without realising how unpopular it would be or running it by any of the Councillors or anybody else first. So, to be fair to JP, he is blameless in the fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Early CGI of the project attached. It'll be great to have that horrendously neglected corner building cleaned up at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭mart 23

Vanquished wrote: »
    Early CGI of the project attached. It'll be great to have that horrendously neglected corner building cleaned up at long last.

Will the jewellery shop remain or is it already gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Will Fines jewellers on the corner be closing? It doesn't seem to be in the project image.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Snap mart 23!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭adaminho

Promo video

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Osk wrote: »
    Will Fines jewellers on the corner be closing? It doesn't seem to be in the project image.

Must be moving at least. The plans say 40-42 O'Connell St. Fines is currently at 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Funky Donuts going into the Urban Garden. They said it was their second location so maybe the Milk Market didn't work out?

Also not sure if mentioned before but there's a planning permission notice for a butchers on the (vacant) building at the corner of William St and Little Catherine St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Also not sure if mentioned before but there's a planning permission notice for a butchers on the (vacant) building at the corner of William St and Little Catherine St.

Is that the place that used to sell hair products that closed a few months ago?

Advertisement