Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

billgibney wrote: »
    Are gosafe considered an essential service?
    Saw them on n3 Blanchardstown today

Would be an interesting scenario if a gosafe operative contracted covid-19 due to having to work in such a confined work environment after another infected colleague using the same van finished their shift. Where would their employer stand legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

galwaytt wrote: »
    speed cameras collect cash : they have nothing to do with accident's.

The speed camera network in Ireland technically runs at a loss. The saving is in the cost of accidents to the state. Please don't perpetuate that speed cameras are cash cows. This is simply false.
    Would be an interesting scenario if a gosafe operative contracted covid-19 due to having to work in such a confined work environment after another infected colleague using the same van finished their shift. Where would their employer stand legally?

None. It would be impossible to prove that a co-worker gave it to you. It's probable and you can have strong suspicions but doesn't satisfy a burden of proof. Most offices have introduced measures to combat this including sanitization of work surfaces after each worker and failing to comply with this would be grounds to lose the claim as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ironclaw wrote: »
    The speed camera network in Ireland technically runs at a loss. The saving is in the cost of accidents to the state. Please don't perpetuate that speed cameras are cash cows. This is simply false.

From my experience the majority of people can't or won't get their head around this info.

They think these major speed check operates catching only a handful of people every hour run at a profit for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Figures reveal loss nearly €26million GoSafe Vans

https://www.newstalk.com/news/figures-reveal-loss-nearly-e26m-gosafe-speed-vans-992624

An Garda Síochána paid a speed camera operator nearly €14.8m last year, but took in only €5.6m in speeding fines as a result.

The new details have been released under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act.

Since 2010, the Gardaí have used safety cameras to try to make roads safer, using the service provider GoSafe to operate them on their behalf.

Go Safe’s high-visibility vans monitor vehicles speed throughout the country, with at least 7,400 enforcement hours in various counties every month.

But the State pays the company far more than it takes in from its speed fines.

Between 2017 and 2019, the Gardaí paid GoSafe more than €44m – but the revenue generated in fines from its detections was only €18.1m

That is a ‘loss’ of nearly €26m.

Last year, Gardaí got nearly €5.6m in fines from Go Safe detections – the lowest amount in the past three years.

The Gardaí say the primary purpose of high-visibility enforcement activity is not to generate money but to save lives.

Also. The €5.6m of fines, go to central gov fund.
    The Gardai don't get a penny, but the cost of the operation comes out of the Garda budget.
    And the cost is actually a lot more than stated.
    Add in courts, summons, post office processing fees etc etc.

These vans will never make money for the government.

Yes they will make money for GoSafe consortium, but isn't that the point of private enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

mikeecho wrote: »
    Figures reveal loss nearly €26million GoSafe Vans

https://www.newstalk.com/news/figures-reveal-loss-nearly-e26m-gosafe-speed-vans-992624

An Garda Síochána paid a speed camera operator nearly €14.8m last year, but took in only €5.6m in speeding fines as a result.

The new details have been released under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act.

Since 2010, the Gardaí have used safety cameras to try to make roads safer, using the service provider GoSafe to operate them on their behalf.

Go Safe’s high-visibility vans monitor vehicles speed throughout the country, with at least 7,400 enforcement hours in various counties every month.

But the State pays the company far more than it takes in from its speed fines.

Between 2017 and 2019, the Gardaí paid GoSafe more than €44m – but the revenue generated in fines from its detections was only €18.1m

That is a ‘loss’ of nearly €26m.

Last year, Gardaí got nearly €5.6m in fines from Go Safe detections – the lowest amount in the past three years.

The Gardaí say the primary purpose of high-visibility enforcement activity is not to generate money but to save lives.

Also. The €5.6m of fines, go to central gov fund.
    The Gardai don't get a penny, but the cost of the operation comes out of the Garda budget.
    And the cost is actually a lot more than stated.
    Add in courts, summons, post office processing fees etc etc.

These vans will never make money for the government.

Yes they will make money for GoSafe consortium, but isn't that the point of private enterprise.

I see on the Garda website that are 1322 camera safety zones as per the 17 February 2020.

If there are 7,400 enforcement hours per month does this mean that only a select number of areas have speed checks at any one time.

Does it also mean that a camera van is only being operated for a few hours every day or maybe every other day.

I got a fixed penalty fine and points for driving 129kn/hr on the M1 at Donabate heading south on the 4 April 2020.

In the two week period from the 4th of April and before I got the fine in the post I have driven past this van several times and I wonder if I might get another fine for being over the speed limit by 5 or 10km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Does that work out at over €2,000 per enforcement hour???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Go Safe van parked on the new N30 link road to the M11 outside Enniscorthy. That's not a designated Go Safe zone so why are they there?
    A Garda speed can I'd understand but I thought Go Safe can only operate in designated zones.

Go Safe van parked on the new N30 link road to the M11 outside Enniscorthy. That's not a designated Go Safe zone so why are they there?
    A Garda speed can I'd understand but I thought Go Safe can only operate in designated zones.

GoSafe can operate in a survey manner on roads that are not designated as actual enforcement areas. These vans don't issue tickets (As if they did, they would be invalid), they are merely looking at trends in road usage, speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Does anything happen from the front of a GoSafe van re detection or photographing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anything happen from the front of a GoSafe van re detection or photographing?

Nope. If you have planted the anchors before you got around to the back, you're OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

That was prob answered 1000' times but is there any leeway over speed limit with marked Gosafe vans?

flazio wrote: »
    Nope. If you have planted the anchors before you got around to the back, you're OK.

Am I right therefore in saying, that the only way a motorcycle with no front registration plate can be detected speeding by a go safe van, is when the motorcycle approaches the van, above the speed limit, with the van facing the motorcycle, and the motorcycle doesn't slow down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Am I right therefore in saying, that the only way a motorcycle with no front registration plate can be detected speeding by a go safe van, is when the motorcycle approaches the van, above the speed limit, with the van facing the motorcycle, and the motorcycle doesn't slow down?

Nope. The vans have a front facing camera. Not for checking or recording speed. But I believe they will play back the recording to read a rear registration and match it to a speeder.

But sure, don't a lot of bikes have a very loose tax disc holder accidentally slipping over the rear plate. :rolleyes:

Nope. The vans have a front facing camera. Not for checking or recording speed. But I believe they will play back the recording to read a rear registration and match it to a speeder.

Are you 100% sure of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Am I right in saying, from what I read, you have to be fairly close to the go safe vans, because they work by reading at a 30 degree angle off the rear of the van and so if the road is wide, in a 3 lane scenario, the fast lane is caught first, then middle and slow lane?

madmac187 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying, from what I read, you have to be fairly close to the go safe vans, because they work by reading at a 30 degree angle off the rear of the van and so if the road is wide, in a 3 lane scenario, the fast lane is caught first, then middle and slow lane?

You are correct-ish. The scenario is somewhat moot however as if three cars are in all three lanes at the same time, the ticket won't usually be issued as there is too much room to manoeuvre on the legal side of things. Generally speaking, the vans operate on single or dual lane roads, where the chances of two cars being side by side, at the same time and within the 'danger zone' are very low.

Whilst I don't advocate evasive manoeuvres if you are in such a situation, you either want to get neck and neck with the car beside you or position yourself in the 'shadow' of the car to your left, assuming the van is to your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

ironclaw wrote: »
    You are correct-ish. The scenario is somewhat moot however as if three cars are in all three lanes at the same time, the ticket won't usually be issued as there is too much room to manoeuvre on the legal side of things. Generally speaking, the vans operate on single or dual lane roads, where the chances of two cars being side by side, at the same time and within the 'danger zone' are very low.

Whilst I don't advocate evasive manoeuvres if you are in such a situation, you either want to get neck and neck with the car beside you or position yourself in the 'shadow' of the car to your left, assuming the van is to your left.

What I’m trying to say is, if I’m 250m away in the slow lane, I have to be closer to get done, if my vehicle is nearly in line with the van if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Can we say inside lane, middle overtaking lane and outside overtaking lane

I can't deal with this "slow lane/fast lane" lark

madmac187 wrote: »
    What I’m trying to say is, if I’m 250m away in the slow lane, I have to be closer to get done, if my vehicle is nearly in line with the van if you get me?

Yes, but as above, it's a moot point. The actual distance you are captured at is much less, perhaps as low as 50m or so. It heavily depends on the road and set up in that particular instance.

If you were above the limit at 250m out and didn't immediately do something about it, you are likely to get a ticket. Further discussion isn't warranted as the individual case can vary so widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Should Mr. Lemon expect a FCPN on the post?

He was joining the M1 northbound after coming off the Santry/Coolock roundabout. The speed limit is 80km/h. He was concentrating on a car speeding up on the right and he carelessly speeded up to 84km/h. There was a speed van there too.

Should he expect a fine in the post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

TK Lemon wrote: »

He was joining the M1 northbound after coming off the Santry/Coolock roundabout. The speed limit is 80km/h. He was concentrating on a car speeding up on the right and he carelessly speeded up to 84km/h. There was a speed van there too.

If your speedo says you were doing 84, you were likely doing 79-80.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

If your speedo says you were doing 84, you were likely doing 79-80.

Assuming the Speedo is hypothetically 100% accurate, would a fine be issued for 84 km/h in an 80 km/h zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms jou got a ticket for 83 in 80 couple of years ago, so it is possible, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

TK Lemon wrote: »

According to this....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/new-speeding-offence-penalties-drivers-20964825.amp

If you're up to 10kph over the limit, you'll be nailed for €60 and two penalty points on payment of the fixed charge (four points upon conviction in court).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,764 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

blueser wrote: »
    According to this....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/new-speeding-offence-penalties-drivers-20964825.amp

If you're up to 10kph over the limit, you'll be nailed for €60 and two penalty points on payment of the fixed charge (four points upon conviction in court).

That didn't make it into legislation before the election was called. Still the same €80 and 3 points as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That didn't make it into legislation before the election was called. Still the same €80 and 3 points as it was.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ms jou got a ticket for 83 in 80 couple of years ago, so it is possible, I'd say.

so was probably doing 87 or 88 on the dash .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

check this out , where the speed shot was taken , you'd never know this was occuring to you .

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1261636426787061760/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

check this out , where the speed shot was taken , you'd never know this was occuring to you .

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1261636426787061760/photo/1

That's an infamous spot in Waterford, a long long straight , they are almost always perched there at the top of the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

mikeecho wrote: »
    That's an infamous spot in Waterford, a long long straight , they are almost always perched there at the top of the hill.

Where exactly is it?

EDIT: Is it the Dual Carriage way road to the toll from Kilmeadan?

Advertisement