Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

sorry not so much a storm, more a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

you can bet your life all these snow showers, will whip around us and miss,

But east snow is allways the worst type as it normaly does bring a lot of it.

sorry did i say worst i ment BEST type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=132&mode=2

Also thursday am
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=66&mode=2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Whatever about the ecm's handle on this weekend, the ensembles look very good for sustained cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

you can bet your life all these snow showers, will whip around us and miss,

But east snow is allways the worst type as it normaly does bring a lot of it.

sorry did i say worst i ment BEST type

ha did you get much snow last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

trogdor wrote: »

Yeah I just picked one for example, if the gfs were to verify there would be no problem with showers for the east coast coming in off the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Seems like theres a decent chance for us from Wednesday morning onwards if the winds turn north, most of our snow last year came from northerly showers

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Harps wrote: »
    Seems like theres a decent chance for us from Wednesday morning onwards if the winds turn north, most of our snow last year came from northerly showers

Donegal and Ulster in general will always have snow showers from a northerly wind provided the temp is low enough

Dublin and the East coast will always have snow showers from an easterly wind provided the temp is low enough

Waterford and Cork will always have rain showers from the south whatever the temperature :D

Well yeah obviously :D

The most significant snow last year came from the Atlantic though, whenever its northerly we just get brief showers but the Atlantic snow lasted for hours at a time.

If it stays east or even north east it probably wont reach this far so I'm hoping for a swing north

The most significant snow last year came from the Atlantic though, whenever its northerly we just get brief showers but the Atlantic snow lasted for hours at a time.

If it stays east or even north east it probably wont reach this far so I'm hoping for a swing north

Well I am in Dublin so am hoping for the wind to swing to the east

After all its all about ME :D

• Advertisement

derekon wrote: »
    Well I am in Dublin so am hoping for the wind to swing to the east

After all its all about ME :D

said on the news the winds will be swinging to the north tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yrag2E wrote: »
    had an intense hail storm about an hour ago in Dublin 20.

Intense would be the word alright !

I was playing Astro in Clondalkin and it belted down from about 7.15 and lasted for 15 minutes at least ,

The pitch was fully covered and it still hadnt melted when were finished up at 8 ! ,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Gerry Murphy managed to get the word 'snow' past his lips......but quickly added 'to high ground'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

I am bang in the middle so I don't really know which is better, northerly or easterly, I'd like to see a straight easterly or north to north westerly wind as any showers will have better chance making it this far inland before dying out. Looks like were mainly going to have north easterlies from this cold spell which I don't like because any showers will have a long travel over land from N Ireland to make it this far, so unless we get more orginise showers, frontal system etc I see this upcoming cold spell being completly dry here.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see Gerry Murphy managed to get the word 'snow' past his lips......but quickly added 'to high ground'. :D

he is a tool

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

East wind has to be used with a word of caution depending if theres' a slight northerly tilt on the direction. Last year Co.Meath suffered in non stop ice but saw hardly any snow due to the Isle Of Man blocked most showers from us while 10 miles further south of us had a foot of snow. A north-east wind will result in Dublin/Wicklow missing most snow and a slightly north of east wind results in Meath missing most snow like last year so East doesnt necessilary always means loads of snow to all parts of the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

This forum never ceases to keep me entertained for hours on end whether its high winds, heavy rain, low temps, or waiting for the white stuff , pity i have nothing constructive to add to any of the threads, any way if i see any snow il be sure to let you all know.;) best forum on boards by a mile thanks to all who contribute.

Lovely forecast from our point of view, straight northerly wind with precip over Ulster from Wednesday to the weekend. It'll still be marginal obviously but we might something sticking at night time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

18z GFS rolling out.

I am going for the first east coast snow on Wednesday night.

GFS currently showing 6c for just off the Wicklow coast and my thermo is showing 4c.

By Wednesday, GFS is showing 3c with lots of precip around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When met Eireann says eastern coastal areas it also mean means western Leinster, must be due to us being a small island :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Donegal and Ulster in general will always have snow showers from a northerly wind provided the temp is low enough

Dublin and the East coast will always have snow showers from an easterly wind provided the temp is low enough

Waterford and Cork will always have rain showers from the south whatever the temperature :D

Agree 100% with you derekon with regards Waterford anyway. We had one morning of wet snow last winter and a few showers on a couple of days. The snow shield is being raised as i speak well in time for next weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

carlmwan wrote: »
    ha did you get much snow last year?

i have to say we did last year.
    most i seen in over 15 years if not longer.

There seams to be a lot of rain about on thurs/friday/sat.

One thing for here, you never know what it will do.
    i will be glued to the webcams up the hills on sat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Except for higher up Waterford lucky ones :D.
    This was our Christmas Eve last year, thought I'd share to wet your appetites :p.4211607094_e67b4678c6_z.jpg
    snow 018 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr
    Hopefully will have similar to post this wkend ! Thks all for the forecasts, love this forum.

Gonzo wrote: »
    East wind has to be used with a word of caution depending if theres' a slight northerly tilt on the direction. Last year Co.Meath suffered in non stop ice but saw hardly any snow due to the Isle Of Man blocked most showers from us while 10 miles further south of us had a foot of snow. A north-east wind will result in Dublin/Wicklow missing most snow and a slightly north of east wind results in Meath missing most snow like last year so East doesnt necessilary always means loads of snow to all parts of the east coast.
    Actually a northeast wind is perfect for wicklow and south Dublin.
    A straight Easterly is not as good in wicklow.
    It's also not as simple as you say as it depends on the uppers and the pressure pattern.
    Both might favour us all this time [in the East] as there may be a lot more activity out in that sea than usual...
    Caveat-remains to be seen-touch wood etc..

Agree 100% with you derekon with regards Waterford anyway. We had one morning of wet snow last winter and a few showers on a couple of days. The snow shield is being raised as i speak well in time for next weekend ;)

Hey Mick, I am hoping ye guys in Waterford get a break this year and get plenty of the white stuff ! Fair distribution of snow for all ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=132&mode=2

I'm much happier after seeing that:D

The netweather GFS percip charts show a bone dry week in the east, apart from actual seashores and beaches, why are they different to metiociel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

You never can rule out snow in Donegal
    Sure look at the big snowfall that came on letterkenny on february 2009
    There was no word of it anywhere ,I recall people on the forum here suprised by it.
    I think there was some snow showers forecast for the east that day ,next thing 6 to 7 inches fell in the space of 3 hours. ;)
    I had to stay in a hotel that night in the town , one of many guests that were snowbound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

for all you twitter heads http://uksnow.benmarsh.co.uk/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hey Mick, I am hoping ye guys in Waterford get a break this year and get plenty of the white stuff ! Fair distribution of snow for all ! :D

Hope so too Derek but i remember one of the experts in here last Winter gave the reasons why we don't get much snow down here. Its all about location i guess. Maybe this Winter could be a good one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

There has been somewhat of a wobble from the gfs model tonight regarding the longevity of this cold spell.

Other models keep it going into the first week of December but there are tentative signs that the blocking highs over Europe will drift eastwards allowing the Atlantic to re-establish itself bringing milder air and more unsettled weather.

This very well may change again come tomorrow's medium range model runs.

Either way, at least 10 days of severe night frosts await us. North Mayo, West Galway, north clare, west Kerry, Sligo, Donegal, north Roscommon, Leitrim, Ulster, Meath, Louth, Wicklow, Dublin, Kilkenny and Carlow again remain at most risk of seeing any significant snow (predominantly through heavy showers or streamers in the east as opposed to an organised front).

High ground, roughly 250-350ft above sea level, in the counties highlighted in bold are more likely to see snow that lower levels where precip is more likely going to be hail, wet snow or sleety rain.

The above prediction regarding potential snowfall pertains to Friday and Saturday predominantly.

This is based on the latest runs only. Tomorrow will no doubt paint a different picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement