Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Oh right. So all the people with babies due in January can get screwed.

Dude, take the anger elsewhere. No amount of hoping or not hoping will affect the weather one whit. I like snow and cold; I know how to deal with it, having spent time in colder climates in winter, and it does no harm to you for me to say that I hope it snows, any more than it does to me for you to say you hope it doesn't.

If you've a kid due in January, plan accordingly; those of us who know what to do in winter can give you some advice. But giving out to people for the weather they'd like to see is two steps past pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

There's 'nout so divisive as a difference of opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Avns1s wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh don't you think. I am sure not even the most enthusiastic weather fan would wish any hardship on any expectant mother or her new arrival.

Whatever about the ambulances being challenged, there is no excuse for the oil truck not being able to get to homes. My view on it is that a small bit of forward planning would ensure that the oil truck would not be needed as the tank should be adequately full in advance of the cold weather, particularly if access is via hilly side roads. Plan ahead!

Ambulances are a serious problem though, experienced bother with that last year too. Plus if anything does happen, visiting people in hospitals is difficult and when my Dad passed away during the cold spell in early January, a nightmare for organising wakes, funerals etc.

I love snow btw! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

When they are giving snow and ice I just get in a lot of food, stick some in the freezer and be prepared for the worse.
    On a steep hill so can get snowed in and last winter there was just lots of ice on the road and an invisible county council clearing the roads......that is what we pay our road tax for...to grit roads we don't use.

I think it's going to be a long winter, not looking forward to it but nothing can be done in regards to the weather, just be prepared.

We were lucky last winter we didn't get the end of March blizzard in January as the snow would have lasted for a few months...

So can we expect any snow on higher ground next week?

Ok, MetEireann says sleet and snow showers next week on hills and mountains for the north and east.

Looks like we are into winter proper now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Roll on the Winter and maybe just maybe we might get some proper snow this time down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Min wrote: »
    Ok, MetEireann says sleet and snow showers next week on hills and mountains for the north and east.

Looks like we are into winter proper now.

Yep.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week will be very cold days with daytime temperatures ranging from about 4 to 7 degrees. The nights will be very cold also with widespread sharp or severe frosts. Many areas will be dry with good sunshine. However showers will develop near north and east coasts. These will turn wintry as the week goes on, falling as sleet and possibly as snow on hills and mountains, especially at night.

The end of November 2008 saw max temps struggling to reach 0c in parts of the midlands and east esp. As Wolfe said, this was due to persistant fog during the day.
    I know but isn't that whats known as and I hate to use the word "faux cold" in that it goes the minute the fog lifts or precip moves in and you have rain.
    Cold near the ground unfortunately does not make what most people want ..snow
    An interesting couple of months if not weeks ahead nonetheless.

06Z GFS is making this upcoming cold spell look increasingly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

06Z GFS is making this upcoming cold spell look increasingly dry.

That's good news, nice Christmas shopping weather :p

• Advertisement

That's good news, nice Christmas shopping weather :p

Imagine if we got lots of snow and no presents :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Min wrote: »
    Imagine if we got lots of snow and no presents :eek:

Would be the best present for lots of us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

In light of the winter to come ... we just hav to look across the ocean to be jealous , as ITS ONLY NOVEMBER..!

http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php?viewcam=1858

NOT FAIR :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Personally i'm looking forward to some cold and dry weather. I've had enough wet weather for a while. Anyway as we all know sustained cold increases the chances of sleet and snow eventually falling in some parts of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Underneath my tree outside on christmas morning i want my a big white present that stretches across the land

Latest UKMO outlook keeps it cold right way out to Dec 17th with "wintry precipitation at times for many areas" in the UK.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Doesn't agree with the GFS which shows a breakdown happening before the end of November. Still all very much up in the air :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I see Dublin at 11 this morning, and its gets down to the lowest daily max of 7 next week. Thats below average, but nothing to indicate a very strong cold spell. When is the real cold spell.

I wouldn't be splashing out on winter gear just yet. Still every chance we could be in for nothing more than a frosty/dry or wet/overcast winter.

the ukmo monthly update, which is fairly promising from the perspective of a snow lover, is usually fairly accurate - they, if i'm not mistaken, use the ecm model, which seems to be better at handling blocking than the gfs. the gfs seems to throw wobblers only to later back ecm ouput..

that said if the ecm suddenly backs the gfs i will share your pessismism. as it would indicate, despite the promising background signals, that Stuart Rampling(the chief netweather forecaster) maybe right about a toppling or mid-latitude high being the dominant feature of December.

Although, it's worth mentioning that M.T. cranium's colleague, Blast from the past' has said that he expected blocking may well fail in November due to a sinking high, but that as we go in to December a blocking pattern would eventually emerge and hold- but for how long;)

we shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009115817178

snow on the way, for eastern parts of uk.

Looking at the charts for nextw eek I think most of us are in for a dry and settled week with some locally severe frosts with the possibility of fog lingering through much of the morning greater as we reach midweek.

Any wintry outbreak in the east and north would be more likely towards the end of the week and into the weekend after next. The Dublin/Wicklow mts and high ground in Kilkenny (yes Min:D) are almost certain to see some snow showers come the end of next week.

• Advertisement

Really annoying to see that high sink down over us and the really cold air head down south into central europe, I hope the GFS is wrong. :pac: UKMO looks a bit better at 144 but the high is still starting to sink, just not as fast as the GFS. Fingers crossed that 12Z ECM is better. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Iancar29 wrote: »
    In light of the winter to come ... we just hav to look across the ocean to be jealous , as ITS ONLY NOVEMBER..!

http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php?viewcam=1858

NOT FAIR :(

Lolz, if you don't like that one, then don't click this link

http://www.bt.no/kamera/article147.ece
    Looks best in daylight ;)

Really annoying to see that high sink down over us and the really cold air head down south into central europe, I hope the GFS is wrong. :pac: UKMO looks a bit better at 144 but the high is still starting to sink, just not as fast as the GFS. Fingers crossed that 12Z ECM is better. :D

the problem here maq is the high over greenland and the other over northern scandanavia are squeezing the high over iceland, causing it to sink. The other possibility is that this high does sink to our south and at the same time the scandanavian and greenland highs track southwards somewhat. this would offset any ground made by atlantic low systems towards ireland.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the problem here maq is the high over greenland and the other over northern scandanavia are squeezing the high over iceland, causing it to sink. The other possibility is that this high does sink to our south and at the same time the scandanavian and greenland highs track southwards somewhat. this would offset any ground made by atlantic low systems towards ireland.

I'd just like to see that high pressure further west and the -8 uppers taking a route that brings them over us. :pac:

Still, it's only November, can't really be expecting much this early I know...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will propably be a non event for most/all of us, nothing more than a few frosts and the odd rain/sleet shower. Still too early in the season for something decent i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

[IMG][/img]goonyougoodthing.png

Ecm good so far, Nice easterly.

ECM is giving us a better run than the GFS anyway. Out as far as 144, anything beyond this is getting deeper into FI and highly likely to change anyway but should be interesting to see.

12Z ECM in FI for this time of year is as good as you could hope for really. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I can't wait to go home and see these heavenly charts.stupid work gettin in way of me winter watch

• Advertisement

12Z ECM in FI for this time of year is as good as you could hope for really. Wow.

are you referring to this chart:ecm500.216.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement