Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should politics be discussed in After hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

NEIN
    Who gives a fook

Get a life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Who gives a fook

Get a life

People obviously feel passionately enough about it to start a thread.

Great contribution btw.

NEIN
    flash1080 wrote: »
    People obviously feel passionately enough about it to start a thread.

Great contribution btw.

People feel passionate about whether a certain subject should be discussed on a sub forum of an internet message board?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

People feel passionate about whether a certain subject should be discussed on a sub forum of an internet message board?

Yes! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    Biggins wrote: »
    Yes, its a lot of the time part and parcel of everything that is discussed here.

So if we can shoehorn in enough football threads should we be allowed discuss it here too?

Whats the point of having a seperate politics forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

NEIN
    Politics should be allowed in AH. Too many people in this country are all too happy to ignore politics and focus all their attention on ****e like x-factor. Ignorance is a major reason as to why we are all in this mess. The more political debate the better, even if it just means that one more person has a clue as to what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who gives a fook

Get a life

Eh.. hang on a second. You are the poster who started a thread about going into Tesco & feeling ripped off because you paid €4 for 2 donuts and you're telling other posters to get a life?

That's rich.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

NEIN
    Stekelly wrote: »
    So if we can shoehorn in enough football threads should we be allowed discuss it here too?

Whats the point of having a seperate politics forum?

Football doesn't influence food prices, TV licences, should we wear a poppy, should drugs be legal, should smoking be banned, our health system, those leaving the country, justice or lack of it and on and on and on...

Politics does! Its that simple and the extending arms of politics reach into all the above subjects and many more.

Football doesn't - certainly not on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    Eh.. hang on a second. You are the poster who started a thread about going into Tesco & feeling ripped off because you paid €4 for 2 donuts and you're telling other posters to get a life?

That's rich.
    :eek:
    4euros for two doughnuts
    they are 1,50 for 6 in my tescos including iceing on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

Sure they do.

:pac:

• Advertisement

NEIN

That's rich.

You obviously don't get sarcasm, I was pointing out how stupid 99% of threads in "Rip Off Ireland" are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Politics is fine - just don't mention football.

Or cookers.

I don't think the poor fella's been able to look at a cooker in the same way ever since.
    Or his football team for that matter, but that's for totally different reasons...

Anyway,before i get a hiding, i don't mind politics being discussed, but when there are 8 or 9 threads about it on the 1st page it's kinda annoying. So politics should be discussed, but in moderation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    It's ok to discuss it here but not to the extreme of the politics forum. I think on here it can be more relaxed and you are not expected to dig out proof of p s pay scale or graphs. It's all everyone talks about at the moment and AH is more forgiving if we dont know what the hell we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Speaking as a poster in AH and nothing else.

Politics surrounds us, AH is the real pulse of our nation. we are in scary times in our countries history, we should be able to talk about it. Who knows, us talking about it may make a difference, because be sure they are watching.

Mega threads are naff.

Politics surrounds us, AH is the real pulse of our nation. we are in scary times in our countries history, we should be able to talk about it. Who knows, us talking about it may make a difference, because be sure they are watching.

Mega threads are naff.

I think mega threads are handy when the forum is been over run with the same subject over and over.

I come to AH to get away from the doom and gloom that is my life, i don't want to be having to go through pages of threads just to find a non political one.
    I obviously expect it to be talked about, like any big event is talked about, but personally i'd like it to be limited. How that'd happen though i don't know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

Mega threads are naff.

So long as we dont all end up arguing to much about it because it might change the atmosphere in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

NEIN
    Brian Cowen is a bollocks.

Also, I have an itchy sphincter.

Best of both worlds. Happy now?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    There's gonna be dozens of Budget related threads started though, a Megathread specifically to throw them into is surely needed.

Could even be started earlier and just call it:

BUDGET 2010 (The Speculation Megathread)

Then just change the title when it goes 'Live & In Running' ..

As for the rest of the time, personally - I think there is far to many Politics threads in AH.

If the topic of them is not very current and / or something that is most likely being discussed in many pubs that day it's posted or has an AH slant, then imo, I think they should be moved to Politics.

Think of the poor souls that have to read every word of a mega thread :P

Think of the poor souls that have to read every word of a mega thread :p

Ah don't ya get well paid for it :p

Actualy though, would it not be easier reading one big thread, than 20 not so big threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

NEIN
    Im starting to think politics shouldnt be discussed on the internet, let alone here.

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    <

Ah don't ya get well paid for it :p

Actualy though, would it not be easier reading one big thread, than 20 not so big threads?

Don't make me have to think like a mod :P

But since you ask.

I rather we shut down threads and direct to similar threads. As I have said, AH is a cross sample of what is happening in Ireland right now, more or less.

we can not ban talk of the state of our nation, we are as interested as you as how we should handle it So the question, how do we handle it.

And yes, we are well paid, but that is another feed back thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thought this was the other thread in Feedback :o
    Think of the poor souls that have to read every word of a mega thread :P

Aye, but would be more hassle reading all the separate Budget threads, all coming at it from a different angle on how the budget will effect them specifically.

Purely as a user, it will be pain jumping from one Budget thread to the other, with the same points being repeated over and over.

Megathreads get a bad rap I think, the World Cup was a massive success and gave the Mods somewhere to throw all the threads that were being started and prevented many from being started too I'd say.

Wouldn't support a General Politics Megathread though, would be a nightmare.

Don't make me have to think like a mod :P

But since you ask.

I rather we shut down threads and direct to similar threads. As I have said, AH is a cross sample of what is happening in Ireland right now, more or less.

we can not ban talk of the state of our nation, we are as interested as you as how we should handle it So the question, how do we handle it.

And yes, we are well paid, but that is another feed back thread.

I answered you as a poster, not a mod. But sure you always have your mod hat on :p
    But if you're talking about shutting down threads and telling people to post in a thread that's already there, would a mega thread not be the easiest solution to that?

I see Pete just mentioned the World Cup thread-i actually voted against that originally as i didn't think it'd work. I started posting in it though and enjoyed it.
    It became the biggest thread on AH but how it was to mod i don't know.

I'm not saying ban political threads at all, what i'm personally saying is i don't want there to be 10 political threads on the 1st page. Which is what has happened recently..and it's only gonna get worse at Budget time.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

NEIN
    After Hours is grand the way it is

I don't like change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Im starting to think politics shouldnt be discussed on the internet, let alone here.
    Is it yourself, Niall.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

NEIN
    People need to shut the **** up moaning about politics threads in AH IMO TBH LOL ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    OP, you asked one question in the title and another in the first post, sort your life out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NEIN
    People need to shut the **** up moaning about politics threads in AH IMO TBH LOL ETC
    It seems some are moaning about politics threads in here and others are moaning about AH threads in Politics. Create new forum, call it After Politics. Put Terry in charge. Watch Help desk explode. Sorted. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

NEIN
    As a newbie here i think it should be left as it is,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i dont get it tbh. why ban politics from AH? AH being a place to generally look at any issues from a purely informal standpoint - the attractiveness of any thread in AH, politics or not, is that you can shoot the breeze and be lighthearted (or downright beligerent) at times. if you dont like the subject of the thread dont even bother reading it, much less posting in it!

leave AH alone!!

Advertisement