Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should politics be discussed in After hours.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

NEIN
    Wibbs wrote: »
    It seems some are moaning about politics threads in here and others are moaning about AH threads in Politics. Create new forum, call it After Politics. Put Terry in charge. Watch Help desk explode. Sorted. :D
    The major problem I see with it is that people will see politics in the title and not bother to enter the forum. We need politics in AH, the dedicated forum can be a bit stuffy and academic at times and you can't go around calling our dear leaders C U Next TuesdayS without the resident mod slapping you upside the head (which is fair enough since it is supposed to be a serious forum).

Added to the fact that one of the main excuses bleated by the masses over the past few years for their lack of understanding is that they didn't know and it's all the gubberments fault for the mess we are in. While the politicos hold a large portion of the blame the people of this country are equally culpable for their willful ignorance they have shown over the last decade and their stubborn unwillingness to learn.

If you don't want to read politics threads in AH because they are depressing and make you weep bitter tears of impotent rage, fine, switch on RTE and delude yourself in the misinformation and half truths they are furiously spinning for their current paymasters. Removing politics from this forum will in effect take away many people's only outlet to vent their seething rage or ability to discuss problems in a relatively sane noob friendly atmosphere.

While you don't have to click on the threads IMO ignorance of the situation is no longer an excuse, we are in such poor shape as a nation that we cannot afford people sticking their fingers in their ears and refusing to acknowledge or understand the situation. If you don't want to know about the problems because they seem insurmountable and impenetrably complex and would much rather click on the post about the funny kitty then you frankly deserve everything that happens to you because it is precisely that attitude that has led us to this point and is a major part of whats fundamentally wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

OT...what was 'cookergate' ? Second time I've heard it mentioned. Anyone got a linky? ta :pac:

Back on topic, maybe we could just have one 'We are doomed' megathread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

NEIN
    Course it should. Politics is a feckin joke so no better place than AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I don't have any problem with political discussions on AH, what I do find annoying, however, is the fact that so many posters decide to start new threads so frequently. These threads are often very similar and follow the same rhetoric (why have we put up with FF for so long?, let's have a revolution and get those fúckers out, etc.) Why don't posters express themselves in already existing threads? Generally these threads get the same disgruntled replies anyway, so why not merge some of them so that other threads don't seem so out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    NO CURRENT AFFAIRS OF ANY KIND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

NEIN
    Wolf Club wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with political discussions on AH, what I do find annoying, however, is the fact that so many posters decide to start new threads so frequently. These threads are often very similar and follow the same rhetoric (why have we put up with FF for so long?, let's have a revolution and get those fúckers out, etc.) Why don't posters express themselves in already existing threads? Generally these threads get the same disgruntled replies anyway, so why not merge some of them so that other threads don't seem so out of place.

The problem with mega threads is that there is too much information and everyone will be talking over one another leading to even more confusion. The country is falling to pieces and major doodads and widgets that kept this economic freakshow on the road for so long are giving up the ghost and failing. While people will give out about separate threads being created for each, lumping them all together will just resemble a massive car crash from which no pattern can be observed. Added to this the relatively poor understanding that many people possess about the issues (I'm no expert myself btw, I'm flailing around like the everyone else trying to get a handle on the situation) and it all ends up looking like a triple decker sh!t sandwich which may lead to people unduly freaking out and panicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I don't think the majority of users that use After Hours want to get rid of all political threads. On the contrary, I think the majority appreciate them, as from what I can see, they regularly take part in those threads.

What I think users have an issue with, is the sheer amount of moaning political threads that have the same old topics day after day about how much money the country owes, how bankers should be locked up, how our politicians are doing nothing etc etc etc

After Hours is a general interest / current affairs forum, but politics seems to be treated favorably here, over and above all other topics - to the point where at times, it can dominate the forum and I don't think that should be. Too many threads are locked where the topic would clearly be a good laugh and not enough of the political ordinated ones kicked to the Politics forum - where some of them, clearly belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Zomg Brian Cowen just ate my cooker.

A lot of it is down to the time of year. It can be as depressing as fcuk so as a country we'll do what we do best, complain. All we can do is keep an eye on things and try and reduce the noise level. A megathread for politics would be as gay as christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Didn't we have a mega budget thread last year? I'm on my mobile so can't be arsed it's quite hard to search for it..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

NEIN
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    Didn't we have a mega budget thread last year? I'm on my mobile so can't be arsed it's quite hard to search for it..

Yeah we did.
    I remember cos it war me whut started it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764714&highlight=budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think there was. Megathreads work for individual events like the world cup and the budget but a political megathread would just wind up being confusing for people to read.

Yeah we did.
    I remember cos it war me whut started it.
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764714&highlight=budget

You found that quick! Do ya have every thread you've ever started memorised or something?! :p

super-rush wrote: »
    I think there was. Megathreads work for individual events like the world cup and the budget but a political megathread would just wind up being confusing for people to read.

Oh yeah i totally agree-i don't want a mega general politics thread either. It'd be a nightmare to follow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

NEIN
    You found that quick! Do ya have every thread you've ever started memorised or something?! :p

Yes.
    Yes I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    I'm definitely +1 on an AH doom and gloom (read: politics) subforum.

Keep the real Politics forum for serious discussion and the AH one can be for all the crazy theories and uninformed opinions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Scambuster wrote: »
    I want a mod to reply so I can make a fool of them.

that'll go well :) see you after your 6 month ban :pac:

mods in after hours are like kim jung il's little brother when they want to be :) that's why we all love them so much

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    Here's why politics should be in it's own AH sub-forum or banned from being discussed in AH.

There are 6 pages of SHÍT threads which are either locked or moved about the IMF, bailouts, various other crap.
    It makes AH impossible to read and just plain annoying.

There is already a politics forum, use it.
    If people want to discuss AH-style politics then please give us a sub-forum so that those of us who want AH to be an escape from that stuff can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

NEIN
    I come here for ze fun but, good grief, most of these fùckin' doom and gloom threads are the exact same!! It's just endless amounts of the same goddamn crap we all know.

IMF this, FF are cùnts that, Ireland's borrowing €21312378923468793468793467346.00, banks, bailouts, We're all fùcked.............yet again in case you didn't see the other 12 threads stating the same fact.

I don't mind the odd politics thread here but AH has become far too saturated in them, mods really need to clean it up.

Now, anytime someone starts a non-politics thread some smart-arse comes along and says "thread fail"..............what the hell do you want!?!

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    I come here for ze fun but, good grief, most of these fùckin' doom and gloom threads are the exact same!! It's just endless amounts of the same goddamn crap we all know.

IMF this, FF are cùnts that, Ireland's borrowing €21312378923468793468793467346.00, banks, bailouts, We're all fùcked.............yet again in case you didn't see the other 12 threads stating the same fact.

I don't mind the odd politics thread here but AH has become far too saturated in them, mods really need to clean it up.

Now, anytime someone starts a non-politics thread some smart-arse comes along and says "thread fail"..............what the hell do you want!?!
    Genuinely, in 6+ pages (regular view) over 50% of each page is a political thread or a locked/moved thread relating to politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

OisinT wrote: »
    Keep the real Politics forum for serious discussion and the AH one can be for all the crazy theories and uninformed opinions. :D

Agreed.
    AH is supposed to be the type of things discussed in a pub. This is usually uninformed drivel on topics such a politics, just like AH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement