Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians, Vegans...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Im not a vegan or vegitarian. But I dont eat meat 3-4 days out of the week, simply because I like it. There is alot of good recipies out there for vegetarian/vegan food. It doesnt have to be lettuce and carrots and boring, far from it.

Now, I do this because I like it. I have no ethical issues with farming and killing animals for food. However, I do think we owe it to the animals to grant them a decent life and a humane slaughter (I know that sounds mutually exclusive).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm a partial vegetarian! I only eat mince meat
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

ScumLord wrote: »
    They can sure, but your going to the long way about doing something your trying to supplement having a healthy amount of meat in your diet by pulling food from all over the world, as an Irish person can you maintain a healthy diet sourcing food from just this island with out using meat. Or is a vegan lifestyle more important than the well being of every other living thing on the planet?
    Maybe if you stopped insisting on eating your animals whole like some kind of snake, a steak or burger is very manageable when you take bites and chew your food. The fact is one dead cow can be used to feed a lot of people. Small animals always end up in the worst of intensive farms, where as cattle in this country at least get to roam as close to free as possible.

What kind of a stupid fücking statement is that? I pointed out that the molecular makeup of larger animals is harder to breakdown in the human digestive system than smaller animals. It's got nothing to do with eating them whole FFS. And why are you bringing up how animals are treated? Where did I even mention that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I pointed out that the molecular makeup of larger animals is harder to breakdown in the human digestive system than smaller animals.

their bigger gravity makes them denser does it :rolleyes:

ScumLord wrote: »
    When I go into Lidl or any Dunnes I see onions from China, Apples from Brazil, mushrooms from the Netherlands (plan non magic mushrooms :( ) That's where the vast majority of people get their vegetables.

How do you manage to get your food from Ireland all year round?

He sees onions from China, apples from Brazil, mushrooms from the Netherlands....ergo none of these things grow in Ireland.

QED :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do you take any vitamin supplements?

Not very often. Only if I'm a little run down or feeling that I'm deficient in something will I take a multi-vit. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Absurdum wrote: »

Saying humans can survive on a herbivore diet (supplemented with Vit B12), fine.

Stating humans are natural herbivores, you are just making yourself look like an idiot.

You can quote any fucking moron scientist you can find on the internet, but there is no biologist with a hint of credibility or brains who will state or attempt to argue that humans are natural herbivores. It is a ****ing retarded statement and cannot be backed up by any sort of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I don't get the hubbub about consuming dairy products.

I get it. It's disgusting
    Milk was meant to be consumed. That's what it's for.

True. Assuming you're a calf of course.
    Unless your Mum is still pumping out a pint or two a day for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Saying humans can survive on a herbivore diet (supplemented with Vit B12), fine.

Stating humans are natural herbivores, you are just making yourself look like an idiot.

You can quote any fucking moron scientist you can find on the internet, but there is no biologist with a hint of credibility or brains who will state or attempt to argue that humans are natural herbivores. It is a ****ing retarded statement and cannot be backed up by any sort of science.

o0o0o0o settle down, Beavis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Deep breaths people, deep breaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Guill wrote: »
    So a question for the veggies/Vegans;

You reject your natural place in the food chain.
    Why?

I'm guessing the main reason people choose to be vegetarian is simply because they don't like eating meat. Maybe it makes them feel ill or guilty, and they'd rather eat something else instead... which is fair enough, like. Why eat something that revolts you when there are plenty of equivalently-priced alternatives that you might enjoy? Provided they're civil to other people and vice versa regarding their new dietry choice, there's no problem! As with all things food-related; don't go shoving it down other people's throats.

I'm an om-nom-nom-nivore, but I do occasionally feel a bit nauseous about eating meat. Especially fillets of chicken... ugh, the veins. Or, er, I'm guessing they're veins, but I really don't want to put too much consideration into it to be honest. So I can easily see why people might give up on it and choose to eat something more appetising to their palates instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Nobody has actually given a reason for why they became vegetarian yet?

Do you need a reason?

I'm guessing the main reason people choose to be vegetarian is simply because they don't like eating meat. Maybe it makes them feel ill or guilty, and they'd rather eat something else instead... which is fair enough, like. Why eat something that revolts you when there are plenty of equivalently-priced alternatives that you might enjoy? Provided they're civil to other people and vice versa regarding their new dietry choice, there's no problem! As with all things food-related; don't go shoving it down other people's throats.

I'm an om-nom-nom-nivore, but I do occasionally feel a bit nauseous about eating meat. Especially fillets of chicken... ugh, the veins. Or, er, I'm guessing they're veins, but I really don't want to put too much consideration into it to be honest. So I can easily see why people might give up on it and choose to eat something more appetising to their palates instead.

Who is shoving what down whos throat? I am entitled to ask a question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Looking for attention.

noxqs wrote: »
    Do you need a reason?

I wont die without one but it was my original question.

Degsy wrote: »
    Looking for attention.

oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Looking for attention.

Heifer whines = human cries

/flounces off in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

As a meat loving man i cannot come to grips with the idea of rejecting meat for ever!

Fish, pork, Beef, Fowl its all too tasty. I have even started raising my own meat because it is even nicer than the supermarket sh1t. Dont get me wrong, i adore my fruit and veg too but a life without meat is my idea of hell.

So a question for the veggies/Vegans;

You reject your natural place in the food chain.
    Why?

(feel free to rant and rave, i think veggies are mad already!)

Question: Why in the world do you let someone else's dietary habits bother you?

2 common reasons:

Moral:
    It’s wrong to kill animals…..except that lots of animals are killed and habitats destroyed by agriculture of all kinds.

Nutritional:
    Vegetarian diets are healthy…..they can be healthier than a typical western diet certainly but I would argue that a Primal type diet (meat, fat, vegs but no grains) is healthiest.

• Advertisement

I was born that way.

There is alot of reasons people become vegans or vegetarians. Most, is obviously for ethical objections to the slaughter of animals. Some, because of cultural/religious reasons such as Hindu and Budhism and the cultural impact those choices have had for the people of these countries.

In no part of the world has meat been a daily food until very recently (50-60-70 years depending on which part of WE). Due to several limiting factors:

1. Meat perish extremely fast without constant refrigeration
    2. Meat traditionally was extremely expensive, animals was first and foremost work animals.

So now, we are here in 2010 and you can buy a pack of mince for 3-4 euro in any store, and we indulge in sausages and bacon left, right and centre. And we look down on the ones who would choose a vegetarian diet? Something the farming societies of the past would consider daily staples such as grain and potatoes, root fruits and whatever else could be gotten from the soil?

Even hunter / gathering societies didnt get much meat. It takes alot of effort to catch prey reliably.

So - I see no reason to justifiy vegans or vegetarians. Its pretty much as traditional as it gets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Nutritional:
    Vegetarian diets are healthy.

Well why are vegetarians always so weak and sickly-looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Yes they have. I answered the question. Read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Not very often. Only if I'm a little run down or feeling that I'm deficient in something will I take a multi-vit. Why do you ask?
    We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources.
    I was just wondering. I like meat and I have a good balance and never had to take a multi-vitamins.

They can be healthy.....but any vegetarian I've ever met was either emaciated or obese

oh you!!

bronte wrote: »
    Question: Why in the world do you let someone else's dietary habits bother you?

Actually i'm not bothered, it's a question based on a lack of understanding.

I'd like to see you pick a fight with a Shao-Lin monk :pac:

• Advertisement

I was just wondering. I like meat and I have a good balance and never had to take a multi-vitamins.

What's your point?

Advertisement