Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians, Vegans...

Options
  • 12-11-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

As a meat loving man i cannot come to grips with the idea of rejecting meat for ever!

Fish, pork, Beef, Fowl its all too tasty. I have even started raising my own meat because it is even nicer than the supermarket sh1t. Dont get me wrong, i adore my fruit and veg too but a life without meat is my idea of hell.

So a question for the veggies/Vegans;

You reject your natural place in the food chain.
    Why?

(feel free to rant and rave, i think veggies are mad already!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guill wrote: »
    Why?
    The food chain is a nonsense concept. Logically by not feeding yourself to a higher predator, like a tiger, you too are rejecting your place in the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Human = Omnivore

Bottom line is we are designed to eat meat as part of our diet and it makes no sense not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I hate it when people say "Oh, I'm a vegetarian except for fish".

Yeah? And I'm a non-smoker except for cigarettes.

Also I think Frankie Boyle said it best "yes, there is a vegetarian option - you can fuck off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lisa's going to marry a carrot! Lisa's going to marry a carrot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I have even started raising my own meat

I couldn't do that. The steaks would be too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love a hunk of meat in mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hate it when people say "Oh, I'm a vegetarian except for fish".

They say that because they don't know the word Pescetarian.

Although I prefer to call them Pretendatarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

My girlfriend is vegetarian and so it affects my diet quite a bit when we're cooking dinner or something, have had to settle for a lot of quorn and tbh its not that bad! I dont think i'd miss meat that much if I gave it up

Apart from the quorn "Bacon Style Rashers"...they are like bacon flavoured fruit winders ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Unless you're a vegan you can't claim moral superiority. Look at the egg factories where they gas the male hens because it works out more cost effective than using them for meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I raise my own meat everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's Quorn stuff is the worst: I'm only going to eat pretend meat cos I'm a vegetarian :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Human = Omnivore

Bottom line is we are designed to eat meat as part of our diet and it makes no sense not to

Vegetarians are omnivores too. They're not herbivores because they still eat animal products other than meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

maximoose wrote: »
    My girlfriend is vegetarian and so it affects my diet quite a bit when we're cooking dinner or something, have had to settle for a lot of quorn and tbh its not that bad! I dont think i'd miss meat that much if I gave it up

Apart from the quorn "Bacon Style Rashers"...they are like bacon flavoured fruit winders ugh
    have you ever heard the phrase why have burger when you have steak at home? Well unfortunately the quorn steak derivative tastes like moldy cardboard so I suggest you go for the meaty burger. Best of luck with your relationship but it doesn't work out remember there are always plenty of fish in the sea, made of meat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This probably has been posted somewhere before but what the hell . . .

http://demotivationalblog.com/demotivational/2009/03/animal-right-animals-have-the-right-to-be-tasty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

That's Quorn stuff is the worst: I'm only going to eat pretend meat cos I'm a vegetarian :rolleyes:

Meat replacement crap is worse for the environment too. to get the same amount of calories from it you need to use more land area and/or more energy input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

As a meat loving man i cannot come to grips with the idea of rejecting meat for ever!

Fish, pork, Beef, Fowl its all too tasty. I have even started raising my own meat because it is even nicer than the supermarket sh1t. Dont get me wrong, i adore my fruit and veg too but a life without meat is my idea of hell.

So a question for the veggies/Vegans;

Why?

(feel free to rant and rave, i think veggies are mad already!)

Well, it is a fact that humans don't need to eat meat. We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources. The only things that meat provide are protein and fat but these can all be gotten from vegetables. Oily fish is a great source of certain acids and minerals but again they can be gotten from various other sources. I love fish and when it comes to meat I prefer to eat animals that are actually smaller than humans so I rarely eat beef, venison or horsemeat. Much easier to digest little animals like lamb, rabbit, hare, pork and fowl. But now and again I can just as easily go for days on veggie grub alone. The Indians, Chinese and Arabs make some mean veggie dishes. Couscous, Falafel, Humus, Aubergine and spud curries. YUM!
    Beef will give you arse cancer!

Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Surely becoming a Vegan or vegitarian is a reflection on society and how it has changed so much. People have too much money and can afford to reject meat.

I love fish and when it comes to meat I prefer to eat animals that are actually smaller than humans so I rarely eat beef, venison or horsemeat. Much easier to digest little animals like lamb, rabbit, hare, pork and fowl.

Peace!

Are you saying because the animal is smaller than you it's easier to digest :confused:

• Advertisement

Well, it is a fact that humans don't need to eat meat. We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources. The only things that meat provide are protein and fat but these can all be gotten from vegetables. Oily fish is a great source of certain acids and minerals but again they can be gotten from various other sources. I love fish and when it comes to meat I prefer to eat animals that are actually smaller than humans so I rarely eat beef, venison or horsemeat. Much easier to digest little animals like lamb, rabbit, hare, pork and fowl. But now and again I can just as easily go for days on veggie grub alone. The Indians, Chinese and Arabs make some mean veggie dishes. Couscous, Falafel, Humus, Aubergine and spud curries. YUM!
    Beef will give you arse cancer!

Peace!

lamb! I forgot Lamb! Lovely lamb shanks, with the juice dripping off theM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'm going to post this for the benefit of any Vegans or Vegetarians, it's a review of a book called The Vegetarian Myth, written by a former vegetarian.

http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php?story=VegMythEades

In the book she destroys most of the arguments put forward by vegetarians (divides them into 4: moral, political, nutritional and save the world).

In her own words;
    "What separates me from vegetarians isn’t ethics or commitment. It’s information."

Well, it is a fact that humans don't need to eat meat. We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources.

But you still need to supplement with Vit B12, which is only available naturally from animal sources.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    But you still need to supplement with Vit B12, which is only available naturally from animal sources.

On the assumption that the above is true i think that would confirm that humans are and need to be omnivores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

seamus wrote: »
    The food chain is a nonsense concept. Logically by not feeding yourself to a higher predator, like a tiger, you too are rejecting your place in the food chain.

How is he? Lower animals generally don't voluntarily feed themselves to higher animals either, so why would man? Besides, the fact that humans can thrive in a world of bears, sharks, tigers (and hippo's!) only further confirms our position at the top of the chain.

On the assumption that the above is true i think that would confirm that humans are and need to be omnivores.

Naturally, humans could not survive on all vegan diet. Some tribes in India have survived on such, but only because they didn't bother washing their vegetables, which happened to have been grown in human faeces ( a source of B12).

It is a fact that humans could not have evolved such large brains without a diet rich in nutrient-dense animal products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Insurgent wrote: »

Every veggie should look at that pic

I went to a veggie's house/dinner party one night and they fed us all veggie food, when it was my turn to host a dinner party i cooked steaks, they were insulted so I told them a load of us were insulted that they forced veggie food on us.

Could you imagine during the famine:

A father walks in the door and looks at his starving family. A smile spreads accross his face as he announces 'I've just caught a coupe of lovely rabbits!!!'
    To which his son replies 'no thanks Da, i'm a vegitarian.'

I dont think so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm a member of PETA

People Eating Tasty Animals...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Guill wrote:
    Vegitarians, Vegans...
    Surely becoming a Vegan or vegitarian is a reflection on society .
    To which his son replies 'no thanks Da, i'm a vegitarian.'

Hi Guill.
    I know they're git's, but just for future reference it's "vegetarian"

/grammar nazi

Advertisement