Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians, Vegans...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

seamus wrote: »
    In my experience, you never come across a preachy vegetarian. I have never once encountered a vegetarian who has criticised or attacked someone else for eating meat (unless prompted). The stereotype of the crusty, crazy, preachy, feminist vegetarian screaming at anyone who eats meat, simply doesn't exist.

Preachy meat-eaters, now they're everywhere.

:rolleyes: Sheesh and double sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's a fact. The molecular makeup of larger animal is harder to breakdown in the human metabolic system.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

I have a vegetarian friend who owns a pair of leather boots.. but she doens't like to wear them too often because they are made of leather.... seriously. Lack of iron makes you crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Guill wrote: »
    On the assumption that the above is true i think that would confirm that humans are and need to be omnivores.

Vegans need to supplement B12. Vegetarians don't. It's available from dairy products and consuming milk, cheese, yoghurt whatever as well as eggs will provide B12. I don't get the hubbub about consuming dairy products. Milk was meant to be consumed. That's what it's for.

Incidentally, did you know that 95% of black people are lactose intolerant?

(Cue Michael Caine accent) ... and not a lot of people know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm a partial vegetarian! I only eat mince meat cause I don't like the taste of any other meat! I have a thing for flavour, if flavour is bland I won't eat it! The thing with mince once mixed with veg its grand but has a lovely scent when cooked say for a chilly beef or con carne or lasagna etc.
    I eat nearly everything else except other meats, chicken, fish, eggs, tofu and soya. I love dairy so wouldn't give that up! Don't see what the big deal is, everyone is different, some people eat only fish and vegetarian food others its just chicken and vegetarian food others are pure carnivores what does it matter! Its not like that they are extreme fussy eaters like! I wouldn't eat a salad or that rabbit food for love or money!

It is for aesthetic reasons that I don't eat meat in general. Not an rights activist for being against eating meat. I wear leather boots myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Christ not this again!

We do it just to annoy you Guill, just to annoy you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The food chain is a nonsense concept. Logically by not feeding yourself to a higher predator, like a tiger, you too are rejecting your place in the food chain.

:pac:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wbyman/BigRifle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In my experience, you never come across a preachy vegetarian. I have never once encountered a vegetarian who has criticised or attacked someone else for eating meat (unless prompted). The stereotype of the crusty, crazy, preachy, feminist vegetarian screaming at anyone who eats meat, simply doesn't exist.

I'll introduce you to my sister. Here she is:

"crusty, crazy, preachy, feminist vegetarian screaming at anyone who eats meat..."

Tuna is OK, though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm what's called a passive vegetarian by the way. This is when you go vegetarian in order to have meals cooked for you by a co-habitant vegetarian who is a far superior cook to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

As a meat loving man i cannot come to grips with the idea of rejecting meat for ever!

Fish, pork, Beef, Fowl its all too tasty. I have even started raising my own meat because it is even nicer than the supermarket sh1t. Dont get me wrong, i adore my fruit and veg too but a life without meat is my idea of hell.

So a question for the veggies/Vegans;

You reject your natural place in the food chain.
    Why?

(feel free to rant and rave, i think veggies are mad already!)

I was vegetarian for years, just didn't like the taste of meat and my family never really had much of it when growing up so did not make it a big deal.

I eat meat and fish now. It was more a taste and availability thing rather than anything to do with eating animals.

• Advertisement

True

Threads in AH started by vegetarians bitching about meat eaters: 0
    Threads in AH started by meat eaters bitching about vegetarians: I've lost count.

seriously lads, get over it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm what's called a passive vegetarian by the way. This is when you go vegetarian in order to have meals cooked for you by a co-habitant vegetarian who is a far superior cook to you.

And so you can make a big deal in restaurants.."Sorry but is there chicken stock in this soup?" etc etc.

A dose of starvation is what vegetarians deserve..that'll make them cop the fcuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

True

Threads in AH started by vegetarians bitching about meat eaters: 0
    Threads in AH started by meat eaters bitching about vegetarians: I've lost count.

seriously lads, get over it

Good point. I have never cared what the person opposite me eats. The amount of times when someone eating meat would pick an argument with me was in the hundreds when I was vegetarian, ha.

Meat eaters who are obsessed with asking about vegetarians or challenging them always reminded me of straight people who are obsessed with talking about gay people and questioning them.

Surely becoming a Vegan or vegitarian is a reflection on society and how it has changed so much. People have too much money and can afford to reject meat.

Would you say that about the millions of Sikhs, Jains, Hindus and Buddhists in India and other parts of the world? They're all loaded?

Last time I looked in the supermarket a slab of meat was a hell of a lot more expensive than a few bags of rice, beans and onions.

Would you say that about the millions of Sikhs, Jains, Hindus and Buddhists in India and other parts of the world? They're all loaded?

Last time I looked in the supermarket a slab of meat was a hell of a lot more expensive than a few bags of rice, beans and onions.

Thats true. being veggie is incredibly cheap. Id say i spend about 25 quid max a week on food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Human = Omnivore

Bottom line is we are designed to eat meat as part of our diet and it makes no sense not to

wrong

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/forum/topics/world-reknowned-cardiologist?xg_source=activity
    ***Because humans get atherosclerosis, and atherosclerosis
    is a disease only of herbivores, humans also must be
    herbivores.***

At once the insanity of our times comes into razor sharp relief.

Some may debate whether cholesterol is the sole cause of heart disease. It does not matter, the fact remains that atherosclerosis occurs only in herbivores.

If humans were physiological omnivores, heart disease would not exist, let alone be America's #1 killer for over a hundred years.

It may not be the least bit hyperbolic to say that the existence of heart disease in humans is proof that we, as a species, are vegans.

In any case, a low fat vegan diet has been proven again and again to be the cure for heart disease. A mountain of clinical evidence supports this.

According to Roberts, those who are utterly immune to heart disease without the use of statin drugs are pure vegetarian fruit eaters. His own exact words. fruit eaters.

So in addition to never losing an argument with a meat eater ever again, we can rest assured that according to America's top cardiologist, our diet of vegan only food ain't so crazy at all compared with the masses of people pretending to be meat eaters.

Unless you're a vegan you can't claim moral superiority.
    :D

This probably has been posted somewhere before but what the hell . . .

http://demotivationalblog.com/demotivational/2009/03/animal-right-animals-have-the-right-to-be-tasty.jpg

yawn
    http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kthged98z01qz57ezo1_500.jpg

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'm going to post this for the benefit of any Vegans or Vegetarians, it's a review of a book called The Vegetarian Myth, written by a former vegetarian.

http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php?story=VegMythEades

In the book she destroys most of the arguments put forward by vegetarians (divides them into 4: moral, political, nutritional and save the world).

In her own words;
    "What separates me from vegetarians isn’t ethics or commitment. It’s information."

wow one opinion, I don't doubt that going against the grain helped sell her book either
    But you still need to supplement with Vit B12, which is only available naturally from animal sources.

not true

I was gonna multi-quote more but I'm too weak rofl rofl :rolleyes:

Insurgent wrote: »
    Link?

Don't have one. A nutritionist told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well, it is a fact that humans don't need to eat meat. We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources. The only things that meat provide are protein and fat but these can all be gotten from vegetables.
    They can sure, but your going to the long way about doing something your trying to supplement having a healthy amount of meat in your diet by pulling food from all over the world, as an Irish person can you maintain a healthy diet sourcing food from just this island with out using meat. Or is a vegan lifestyle more important than the well being of every other living thing on the planet?
    I love fish and when it comes to meat I prefer to eat animals that are actually smaller than humans so I rarely eat beef, venison or horsemeat. Much easier to digest little animals like lamb, rabbit, hare, pork and fowl.
    Maybe if you stopped insisting on eating your animals whole like some kind of snake, a steak or burger is very manageable when you take bites and chew your food. The fact is one dead cow can be used to feed a lot of people. Small animals always end up in the worst of intensive farms, where as cattle in this country at least get to roam as close to free as possible.

ScumLord wrote: »
    They can sure, but your going to the long way about doing something your trying to supplement having a healthy amount of meat in your diet by pulling food from all over the world, as an Irish person can you maintain a healthy diet sourcing food from just this island with out using meat. Or is a vegan lifestyle more important than the well being of every other living thing on the planet?

You don't need to pull food from all over the world :confused:. all my veg is irish

Absurdum wrote: »
    herbivores.***
    that doesn't say anything against us being omnivores it says we're not carnivores, and must also be herbivores, that sounds like he's saying we're omnivores to me.

• Advertisement

marxcoo wrote: »
    I have a vegetarian friend who owns a pair of leather boots.. but she doens't like to wear them too often because they are made of leather.... seriously. Lack of iron makes you crazy.

Marx, wheat, beans, lentils and green leafy veg are food high in iron. But red meat is also a dense source.

I like to combine them. I get my iron from a plate of fresh beef carpaccio with ruccola, pine nuts, shaved parmesan, cracked peper, rock salt and olive oil washed down with a tankard of fleshy Valpolicella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Absurdum wrote: »

not true

Please give me a natural source of Vitamin B12 that is not from animal products or bacteria?

Humans are designed to eat meat and that is a fact.

You don't need to pull food from all over the world :confused:. all my veg is irish
    When I go into Lidl or any Dunnes I see onions from China, Apples from Brazil, mushrooms from the Netherlands (plan non magic mushrooms :( ) That's where the vast majority of people get their vegetables.

How do you manage to get your food from Ireland all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Marx, wheat, beans, lentils and green leafy veg are food high in iron. But red meat is also a dense source.

I like to combine them. I get my iron from a plate of fresh beef carpaccio with ruccola, pine nuts, shaved parmesan, cracked peper, rock salt and olive oil washed down with a tankard of fleshy Valpolicella :D

Jesus Christ.. the hunger.. stop talking about amazing food!

ScumLord wrote: »
    When I go into Lidl or any Dunnes I see onions from China, Apples from Brazil, mushrooms from the Netherlands (plan non magic mushrooms :( ) That's where the vast majority of people get their vegetables.

How do you manage to get your food from Ireland all year round?

just look for veg that say Origin: Ireland if youre in a supermarket. Or I get a lot from my uncles allotment.

Personally I dont give a bollox what the vast majority of people do. they can get their veg or meat any way they want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

herbivores.***

At once the insanity of our times comes into razor sharp relief.

Some may debate whether cholesterol is the sole cause of heart disease. It does not matter, the fact remains that atherosclerosis occurs only in herbivores.

If humans were physiological omnivores, heart disease would not exist, let alone be America's #1 killer for over a hundred years.

It may not be the least bit hyperbolic to say that the existence of heart disease in humans is proof that we, as a species, are vegans.

In any case, a low fat vegan diet has been proven again and again to be the cure for heart disease. A mountain of clinical evidence supports this.

According to Roberts, those who are utterly immune to heart disease without the use of statin drugs are pure vegetarian fruit eaters. His own exact words. fruit eaters.

So in addition to never losing an argument with a meat eater ever again, we can rest assured that according to America's top cardiologist, our diet of vegan only food ain't so crazy at all compared with the masses of people pretending to be meat eaters.

The above is one of the stupidest, most wrong things I have ever read and you must be severely lacking in any sort of intelligence to think this is a good argument.

Humans are not herbivores, we don't have herbivore teeth or a herbivore digestive system, without B12 (which can generally only be gotten naturally from animal sources) you die. We could not have evolved such large brains without animal products forming a large part of the diet.

Thats true. being veggie is incredibly cheap. Id say i spend about 25 quid max a week on food.

I'm an omnivore but sometimes me and the girlfriend decide to simply have a veggie weekend. Go to the outdoor market and stock up on oranges, cabbages, loads of pulses, tomatoes, onions, peas, noodles, pomegranites, the lot. It costs fück all at the ethnic market in Amsterdam. Make loads of deadly soups and stir fries with not a chicken chunk or prawn in sight. Cleanses the system something great too.

Makes me fart like a trooper as well which is an added bonus. Lots of hysterical thunder :P

Good point. I have never cared what the person opposite me eats. The amount of times when someone eating meat would pick an argument with me was in the hundreds when I was vegetarian, ha.

Meat eaters who are obsessed with asking about vegetarians or challenging them always reminded me of straight people who are obsessed with talking about gay people and questioning them.

You beat me to it, haha! I was going to say that vegetarian haters are analogous to homophobes. Deep down inside, the veggie-haters have this gnawing insecurity that they themselves might have vegetarian tendencies so they lash out and vilify the veggies in a tirade of bile and hate. They are CLOSET-VEGGIES and too afraid to admit it. :pac:

I'm an omnivore but am secure in my food sexuality to swing both ways. I guess when it come to food, I'm bi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Humans are not herbivores, we don't have herbivore teeth or a herbivore digestive system, without B12 (which can generally only be gotten naturally from animal sources) you die. We could not have evolved such large brains without animal products forming a large part of the diet.

You must be severely lacking in any sort of intelligence to think this is a good argument.

http://www.tierversuchsgegner.org/wiki/index.php?title=Taxonomy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Well, it is a fact that humans don't need to eat meat. We can get all our dietary needs from non-meat sources. The only things that meat provide are protein and fat but these can all be gotten from vegetables. Oily fish is a great source of certain acids and minerals but again they can be gotten from various other sources. I love fish and when it comes to meat I prefer to eat animals that are actually smaller than humans so I rarely eat beef, venison or horsemeat. Much easier to digest little animals like lamb, rabbit, hare, pork and fowl. But now and again I can just as easily go for days on veggie grub alone. The Indians, Chinese and Arabs make some mean veggie dishes. Couscous, Falafel, Humus, Aubergine and spud curries. YUM!
    Beef will give you arse cancer!

Peace!
    Do you take any vitamin supplements?

Advertisement