Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Common sense is the order of the day.

If you don't have to drive in adverse weather then don't.

For those of us who do have to then we know to be even more careful than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That is a beauty of a storm. Great pics lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've got a drive from Kildare to Rosslare and then a ferry crossing to Wales on Thursday night, not looking good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Aviation chart for midnight, showing the 190 knot jetstreak at FL350 (35,000ft) which is responsible for the explosive deepening of the surface low this evening, and the tropopause height, down to only 22,000ft at the centre of the low (the 220 L box). Note that just to the south of the jet, the tropopause is at 40,000ft, and it is this height difference that's causing the jet in the first place.

PGDE14_EGRR_0000.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I've got a drive from Kildare to Rosslare and then a ferry crossing to Wales on Thursday night :(

Oh no you don't! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Tactical wrote: »
    Common sense is the order of the day.

If you don't have to drive in adverse weather then don't.

For those of us who do have to then we know to be even more careful than usual.

i have someone having minor surgery tomorrow, so i am his taxi and he has wait 6 weeks already for this, if we put it back we could be waiting longer, if things are that bad, i can always book into a hostel or something for night.i would not dare go only for that

goat2 wrote: »
    got to travle tomorrow on important errand, 2 hour drive to and 2 hour drive home, am a bit worried now

If you don't have to drive don't.

For those of us who do have to go out in bad weather conditions, we need to take extra care and be more careful than usual.

Look, if you can postpone then do. If not, AA Roadwatch is a good site and also check conditions from the NRA weather stations on the NRA website. Good source of information. Then there's this thread which is an excellent source of information with people posting reports.

Just drive slower, be aware situational aware. Bring a spare change of warm clothes and some wet weather gear and top off your fuel tank at the start of your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Su Campu wrote: »
    the tropopause height, down to only 22,000ft at the centre of the low (the 220 L box). Note that just to the south of the jet, the tropopause is at 40,000ft, and it is this height difference that's causing the jet in the first place.
    Thanks!

With all this looking at two-dimensional charts, images and videos one keeps forgetting that the athmosphere is indeed three-dimensional and that there is a lot more going on than meets the (laymans) eye.

The Met Eireann weather warning issued at 1218z makes for interesting reading. Gusts of up to 140kph :D Happy days :D

Going over for Rally GB, only holiday I've taken this year. Hopefully it'll go to plan *crosses fingers*

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Going over for Rally GB, only holiday I've taken this year. Hopefully it'll go to plan *crosses fingers*

Storm force winds forecast for the Irish Sea tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Guaranteed it will be slightly breezy here tomorrow night . . .

Storm force winds forecast for the Irish Sea tomorrow...

screwed.com/cian1500ww :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Anyone got any info on an apex roof 4th floor? Will this take slates off in Dublin? :eek:

Pressure down to 954 at 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on an apex roof 4th floor? Will this take slates off in Dublin? :eek:

Approx roof area, construction material, nailed or screwed, and GPS co-ordinates please.

mikom wrote: »
    Approx roof area, construction material, nailed or screwed, and GPS co-ordinates please.

Im just a blow into the weather section:D
    Dont have any that info Im In Donaghmede in North Dublin if thats anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Some webcams in Sligo. You can see the waves breaking.

http://strandhillsurf.eu/page/surf_forecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Very slight mention of it, about 15 secs, at the end of the 9 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Anticipated Gusts

nov11storm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

A friend of mine in Maine in the US sent me on the following link of the damage left after the storm hit them on SUnday night. She says its the same storm that is due to hit us overnight.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=135850

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

started raining here, bring on the gales. should be fun tomorrow during college

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Im just a blow into the weather section:D
    Dont have any that info Im In Donaghmede in North Dublin if thats anything

haha... he's only messing wit ya pal.

Hes making fun of ur question,

Its like asking how will the sheep in a westmeath feild in the northern slope of the hill fair out to the wind, as their wool coat is not so areodynamic ha

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

RTE weather forecast summary : storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Anticipated Gusts

I saw that pic over on netweather and to be honest I don;t think it accurate at all. I mean lower gusts in donegal compared to somewhere like carlow??? Nah. Also could you resize it or link to it please it's breaking my PC :pac:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    haha... he's only messing wit ya pal.

Hes making fun of ur question,

Its like asking how will the sheep in a westmeath feild in the northern slope of the hill fair out to the wind, as their wool coat is not so areodynamic ha

Ill find out the answers to his questions and ill come back at him :D

18Z NAE is slightly brings the centre of the low slightly further south again.

Edit, more intense too. A clear upgrade on that model anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Iancar29 wrote: »

Texel should be ok, but I'd fear for Border Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What's the source of the wind speed map? It looks way too low for parts of Ireland. Would suggest 60-100 mph for western Ireland and also for Donegal and Ulster as shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

What's the source of the wind speed map? It looks way too low for parts of Ireland. Would suggest 60-100 mph for western Ireland and also for Donegal and Ulster as shown.

Some guy on netweather made it up. I agree, it's way off in places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement