Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

11.52k in 63.47 (5.32 pace)

Run home from work at
    easy pace

kmtd: 59.13
    Runs: 5

8.75k in 54.32 (6.13 pace)

Bloody hell, 7pm yesterday to 9am this morning puts me on page 3 :eek:

Recovery run this morning and I took it as slow as I could, didn't put any floor on my pace at all just tried to keep it at an absolute minimum of effort. Also, inspired by that snacking thread on the main forum I added an egg to my breakfast today mashed into my muesli boiled while I ate my muesli. Will see if that keeps the snacks at bay...

kmtd: 68.88
    Runs: 6

4 miles in 29.27 (7.07 pace)

First race of the year, BHAA cross-country in Tymon Park. I'm approaching these as tempo sessions, basically, because I don't have enough XC experience to judge a race pace properly. My rough plan today was to keep the pace under 7 minute miles, but was slower than that halfway through the first lap (of 3). Maybe I could have gotten back on target, but I was happier to just keep the effort steady and finish strong. It just doesn't feel enough like a race to me, because I'm not used to those conditions. that shows in the finishing time :rolleyes: I think I'll be placed in standard 15, which is about 37.30 in a 5 mile road race
    Anyway, I did enjoy the run, it was a good event. Maybe after a few more I'll start to feel like I know what I'm doing...

kmtd: 75.55
    Runs: 7

5.21k in 29.30 (5.40 pace)

A short and slow recovery run, much needed after yesterday.

kmtd: 80.76
    Runs: 8

BHAA results are up, I'm standard 14
    That's 7 minutes + for a mile, 45+ in a 10k. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You move up a standard as it goes on.

You move up a standard as it goes on.

Not if I keep running like that :pac:

I didnt do that one this year, but did it 2 years ago after the snow and it was alot worst. It's the first race of the year.

Eircom Cross country in 2 weeks is a nice course, mucky though!

One of the best races is the K club 10k in April, real pb country!!

Yeah, Cherryfield Park - where the Eircom race is - is where my club train, so I have to go there :) I'll be running most of the BHAA races this year, all going well...

Cool, will probably see you at the road races there so!!

• Advertisement

7.09k in 38.22 (5.25 pace)

Shortish run today, over to James's with a bag on my back to give blood platelets.

kmtd: 87.85
    Runs: 9

8.72k in 48.02 (5.30 pace)

Easy run into work (with a bag on my back). Don't like running with a bag :(
    No crazy carrying-your-own-gear ultras for me :)

kmtd: 98.57
    Runs: 10

14.47k in 80.05 (5.32 pace)

Longish run home today. Felt a little tired in the beginning, maybe this streak is starting to catch upon me? Got stronger as the run went on though, and no problem maintaining this easy pace.

kmtd: 113.04
    Runs: 11

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't like running with a bag :(

Oh I know. The bouncing bag gets so irritating doesnt it!
    Fair play on the platelet giving. Do you mind me asking you if you find it impacts on your runnning at all? Energy wise.

Fair play on the platelet giving. Do you mind me asking you if you find it impacts on your runnning at all? Energy wise.

I don't know, to be honest :confused: I don't think I've ever had a race within a few days of giving blood, and I'm only really learning how to judge effort on training runs. Maybe I was tired today because of the donation, not the streak?

they did talk about blood donations on Marathon Talk a few weeks back and, though they didn't talk about platelet donation specifically, they said it could take a few weeks for your iron levels to return to normal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I don't know, to be honest :confused: I don't think I've ever had a race within a few days of giving blood, and I'm only really learning how to judge effort on training runs. Maybe I was tired today because of the donation, not the streak?

they did talk about blood donations on Marathon Talk a few weeks back and, though they didn't talk about platelet donation specifically, they said it could take a few weeks for your iron levels to return to normal :eek:

Yeah, I used give the blood every 3 months or so but stopped during the marathon training for pure selfish reasons and I feel so guilty now. I might give now when they are no races looming and monitor the effects. And really fair play for the platelet giving...thats a whole different ball game altogether :)

ah sure it's no harder really, just takes a bit more time

8.68k in 42.19 (4.53)

Club session tonight, my first in a few weeks, and there was a good crowd there, 20-25 people? on a very cold night. Thursdays are speed nights, so after a few minutes warmup we did 5x800 with a minute or two recovery.
    Reps were 3.11, 3.14, 3.07, 3.26, and 3.15 (every second one was slightly uphill,and the distance is actually more like 850m) so a /km pace between 3.40 and 3.57. Real jelly legs after a couple of these, but a nice session.

kmtd: 121.72
    Runs: 12

8.68k in 54.14 (6.14)

Very slow recovery run tonight, needed it after yesterday.

kmtd: 130.4
    Runs: 13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

8.68k in 54.14 (6.14)

Very slow recovery run tonight, needed it after yesterday.

kmtd: 130.4
    Runs: 13

Tonight? you in Australia or something? :p

• Advertisement

It was before sunrise, therefore night-time ;)

16.28k in 88 minutes (5.24)

Everyone overslept this morning, so the planned 2 hour run became a 90 minute run. Up to Bushy Park for a lap, then down to Tymon for a circuit. Mindful of the advice in this thread, I ran on the grass where possible - which meant running through plenty of mud in Tymon, that place really doesn't drain well.

kmtd: 146.68
    Runs: 14

5.09k in 31.19 (6.09 pace)

Easy recovery run, up to the local park for a couple of laps of the football pitch and then home. Someone is playing silly buggers with the 1000 mile spreadsheet...

kmtd: 151.77
    Runs: 15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Every day this year, that's a nice streak.

I know 7 day running is optimum but are you not getting browned off of having to get out every day?

11.64k in 63.12 (5.26 pace)

Usual run home from work. Joint on my left big toe was a bit sore today:confused:

kmtd: 163.41
    Runs: 16

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I know 7 day running is optimum but are you not getting browned off of having to get out every day?

Not really. Running in and out of work is easy enough, takes about the same amount of time as getting the bus, and the run-home-one-day-run-in-the-next routine is easy to follow. One club session a week, grand. Saturday, either a race or a long run. Sunday, very short and easy recovery run, only takes 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Not really. Running in and out of work is easy enough, takes about the same amount of time as getting the bus, and the run-home-one-day-run-in-the-next routine is easy to follow. One club session a week, grand. Saturday, either a race or a long run. Sunday, very short and easy recovery run, only takes 30 minutes.

Fair enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mr Slow wrote: »

Fair enough! :)

Tee hee, that's you told!!

But I just don't understand the question :confused::)
    I like running, why would I get browned off running every day? Too tired or sore, or maybe too busy - sure, that would make sense. But I'm running very easy paces most days so don't get tired or sore really, and I've worked out a routine that fits into my life...

• Advertisement

8.79k in 46.46 (5.19 pace)

First run as an M40:eek::)
    Toe still a bit sore...

kmtd: 172.2
    Runs: 17

Advertisement