Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

One toe in the grave? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Happy birthday young man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

RayCun wrote: »
    First run as an M40:eek::)

welcome to the club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Happy Birthday Ray...enjoy your day.:D

i had my first run as a f40 yesterday.. bit late but first run of the new year and it felt good all the same!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Old grey Ray, he ain't what he used to be :pac:

Happy birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Happy Birthday Dad!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Many returns of happiness.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

8.79k in 46.46 (5.19 pace)

Toe still a bit sore...

kmtd: 172.2
    Runs: 17
    Happy Birthday, youre now officially a mamil.

And youre still younger than me. Sob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Happy birthday, Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Happy birthday young Ray. I hear that the pain starts in the toe and gradually works its way up your body:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Happy birthday Ray. I'm almost 3 months as a F40, it's not too bad being 40 - honest ....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Happy birthday man, my mam was 50 yesterday aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Happy Birthday Ray. I hope I'm still running when I'm old like you :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yis are all very smart.
    And young.
    But I'm...

... give me a minute here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yis are all very smart.
    And young.
    But I'm...

...tired? ...forgetful?
    It's ok Ray, it happens with age:D - Belated Happy Birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Yis are all very smart.
    And young.
    But I'm...

Broken down, grumpy?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

8.79k in 46.46 (5.19 pace)

As one man exits the M40 category another enters it..... It's the A/R/T circle of life ;)

12.2k in 65.40 (5.23 pace)

Have to put some numbers up on that table, XC this weekend instead of long run is going to see me losing ground :)

kmtd: 184.4
    Runs: 18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

12.2k in 65.40 (5.23 pace)

Have to put some numbers up on that table, XC this weekend instead of long run is going to see me losing ground :)

kmtd: 184.4
    Runs: 18
    Great running Ray, you deserve a day or three off soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Happy belated birthday Ray! Enjoy the party...

• Advertisement

7.44k in 36.24 (4.54 average)

Club session this evening - 8 x 400 - although it isn't actually 400, more like 370, and we went for an extra one at the end, but 9 x 370 doesn't have the same ring to it :)
    I was a bit wary of these, with the race on Saturday and my legs perhaps accumulating some tiredness, and took the first one very slow, slower than 5k pace. But that one felt fine, so I sped up over the remaining reps. Fastest - with the wind, and on what I thought was the last rep - was 3.13 pace, but the average was more like 3.40 pace. Faster than 5k pace, but not really mile pace, or whatever pace these reps should really be...

kmtd: 191.84
    Runs: 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was a bit wary of these, with the race on Saturday and my legs perhaps accumulating some tiredness, and took the first one very slow, slower than 5k pace. But that one felt fine, so I sped up over the remaining reps. Fastest - with the wind, and on what I thought was the last rep - was 3.13 pace, but the average was more like 3.40 pace. Faster than 5k pace, but not really mile pace, or whatever pace these reps should really be...

I have no idea of these paces you speak about. Speak English for Christ sake :pac:

I didst run at a speed like unto the gods. Verily I say unto thee that if it hadst been a race, of five of those kilometres the wise men have spoken of, and had run at my fastest for yea all of that distance, I would have finished in 16 minutes and five seconds, or 18 minutes and 20 seconds at average speed. Though in truth I could not run like that for a whole race.
    Now go thou, and consult thine abacus, and makest thou the calculations.

8.71k in 53.30 (6.08 average)

Recovery pace run this morning, my legs felt fine but they probably needed a bit of a break.

kmtd: 200.55
    Runs: 20

so it turns out that going to the pub the night before the race doesn't improve performance. Who could have guessed? :confused:

8k in 34.58 (4.22 average)

BHAA/Eircom XC in Knocklyon this morning. Late night* in the pub yesterday, and up at 10.15 this morning - my latest lie-in in years :rolleyes: Jogged up to Knocklyon and got my number, and made it across to catch the end of the women's race. Seres wasn't wearing her Boards top today so I spotted her too late to give her a shout. Jogged around in my spikes for a bit of a warmup, and bumped into Seres and drquirky, and some of my clubmates, for a quick chat, before lining up at the start.
    This is the club's regular training ground, so as soon as I saw which direction we were going to run - straight into the wind on the long straight, but sheltered from the wind when it was behind us- I knew it would be a tough race. Still, I was determined to get off to a good start, I think at Tymon I started too far back and because I was pacing off the people around me I went off too slow. First k was a bit crowded and slow, but in the second k I started to speed up a bit, pace was up to 4.07 for that k. Up to then I was feeling a bit tired and fuzzy but the hangover wasn't too bad. Towards the end of that second k though my stomach woke up, took a look around, realised I was in a race and made it very clear that running fast was a bad idea :rolleyes:
    I was a fair bit slower from that point on, pace between 4.20 and 4.30 for the rest of the race, as I fought the tiredness in my legs on one hand and kept my stomach in the right place on the other (and the wind on the straight in every lap just seemed to get stronger every time). Still, I managed a decent finish - and came this close to throwing up moments later in the chute - and sneaked in under 35 minutes, so I was actually faster than in Tymon two weeks ago. That's partly because the conditions were much firmer, but I think I also judged the effort levels better today.

eta - official time is out, 34.56. That's standard 12, and brings my standard down to 13, a bit more respectable...

kmtd: 208.55
    Runs: 21

*ie, after 10pm

Raycun's birthday cake :D

408736_10150552753908666_605533665_8867792_2038793007_n.jpg

5.3k in 30.53 (5.50 average)

Recovery run this morning. Legs felt fine actually, could have gone for a longer easy run, but stuck to the plan.

kmtd: 213.85
    Runs: 22

12.26k in 65.32 (5.21 average)

Got new runners yesterday - cheers thirstywork2 - and brought them out for their first run today. Probably not a good idea to plan a longish run, given my experience with my last pair of new runners :o and had the same thing today. My legs were completely unused to the cushioning, and started complaining about all that new support after a couple of k. Stopped for a bit of a stretch along the way, and cut the run a bit short - which might mean woddle will catch up with me this month :) - will take them out on some more shorter runs again in the next week or so before switching over properly.

kmtd: 226.15
    Runs: 23

forgot to add - evidence!

10.66k in 55.31 (5.12 average)

I've been running in and out of work along the same route for about 18 months now, maybe 200 runs. And on that route, I cross the Dodder below Rathfarnham, and there are a couple of steps and two ramps down from bridge level to the path beside the river. Ramp in the middle, two sets of steps on either side. Simple enough:rolleyes:.
    Except today I decided that the steps were in the middle and there were ramps on either side, and rand down one of the ramps that -shockingly - was actually a set of steps. Cue comedy pratfall - no ninja rolling at my age - and a lot of cuts and scrapes, including a nicely bloody knee.:o
    Oh well, at least my aged bones are more resilient than my rapidly-decaying brain...

kmtd: 236.81
    Runs: 24

• Advertisement

Oh No, poor you - Lucky you have that road i.d!

Advertisement