Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

RayCun wrote: »
    10.66k in 55.31 (5.12 average)

I've been running in and out of work along the same route for about 18 months now, maybe 200 runs. And on that route, I cross the Dodder below Rathfarnham, and there are a couple of steps and two ramps down from bridge level to the path beside the river. Ramp in the middle, two sets of steps on either side. Simple enough:rolleyes:.
    Except today I decided that the steps were in the middle and there were ramps on either side, and rand down one of the ramps that -shockingly - was actually a set of steps. Cue comedy pratfall - no ninja rolling at my age - and a lot of cuts and scrapes, including a nicely bloody knee.:o
    Oh well, at least my aged bones are more resilient than my rapidly-decaying brain...

kmtd: 236.81
    Runs: 24

Oh no, poor Ray!!!! Have you ever thought of laser eye surgery? Not only would you now SEE the steps but you'd turn into Super Mario with the Super Powers they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

10.66k in 55.31 (5.12 average)

I've been running in and out of work along the same route for about 18 months now, maybe 200 runs. And on that route, I cross the Dodder below Rathfarnham, and there are a couple of steps and two ramps down from bridge level to the path beside the river. Ramp in the middle, two sets of steps on either side. Simple enough:rolleyes:.
    Except today I decided that the steps were in the middle and there were ramps on either side, and rand down one of the ramps that -shockingly - was actually a set of steps. Cue comedy pratfall - no ninja rolling at my age - and a lot of cuts and scrapes, including a nicely bloody knee.:o
    Oh well, at least my aged bones are more resilient than my rapidly-decaying brain...

kmtd: 236.81
    Runs: 24

There but for the grace of God go I!

Be glad there wasn't more serious damage done, those rickety old hips wouldn't stand up to much! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ray hope there wasn't too much damage...tomorrow you might be a bit stiff & sore....maybe time to change the route a little...just to keep the faculties working:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

14.32k in 74.12 (5.11 average)

Longish (for me:)) run home from work. Ran through UCD to start with, then back down to my usual route. The Garmin didn't pick up a signal for ages so I started without a lock - it was giving me a really slow pace, I sped up, but now I see I was running under 5 minute kilometres, too fast for this run really. Anyway, I slowed down after a few k to a regular easy run pace, partly because I was getting a proper reading now, partly because I knew I was working too hard. Picked the pace up again around Bushy Park - slogging through the mud was oddly invigorating - and felt good for the last few k home.

kmtd: 251.13
    Runs: 25

The Garmin didn't pick up a signal for ages so I started without a lock - it was giving me a really slow pace,

I was having this issue recently, it was taking .08 of a mile to start counting and then the pace was all over the pace. I uploaded the recent update and it's spot on now.

• Advertisement

I think it was just the weather, but I'll see if there's a 305 update if the problem continues.

9.4k in 45.13 (4.49 average)

Club session, tempo runs
    Warmup of about 1.4k
    First run was about 2.3k, into the wind through Firhouse, pace was around 4.30
    Couple of minutes break, then
    Second run was back the way we came and a bit further, 3k exactly (? or I didn't start a new lap at the end?), average pace 4.02/03. With the wind this time, in case you can't tell :)
    Then 2-3k cooldown, 5.30ish pace

Freezing out there, too cold and dark to be playing with autolap...

kmtd: 260.43
    Runs: 26

8.68k in 45.35 (5.15 average)

Easy run into work. Back in the Mizuno Inspires today and, though I aware of the support as soon as I put them on, there was no discomfort. Will give them another short run or two before switching over to them as my main shoe.

kmtd: 269.11
    Runs: 27

5.02k in 28.32 (5.41 average)

Recovery run this morning, nice and easy ahead of tomorrow's race.

kmtd: 274.13
    Runs: 28

Good Luck tomorrow Ray, sub 32?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Good Luck tomorrow Ray, sub 32?

Nah, 32.30 is the target, and I'd be happy with anything under 33.

Nah, 32.30 is the target, and I'd be happy with anything under 33.

Ah that's your McMillan time for 5 miles, you're better than that!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ah that's your McMillan time for 5 miles, you're better than that!

Might be McMillan's time based on my 5k, but not for any other distance

Might be McMillan's time based on my 5k, but not for any other distance

Agreed but as it's close in distance I reckon 32:30 would be soft for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Good luck Ray

32.24 (Garmin time and chip time. Positions - 287 overall, 267 men, 41 M40)

Cadged a lift over to de nortside from Linda Byrne and her coach claralara and digger, and we waited under the school porch, watching the rain fall.And fall. And fall some more. :rolleyes: It put the dampeners (ho, ho) on any thought of a warmup run, so we just waited until a few minutes before the race start and then jogged up to take our places.
    The start was the usual scramble, though every year I start further up the field, so every year things settle down faster. I spent the first mile or so looking for people to pace off, but all the candidates either sped up or fell behind by the first mile marker. Time called was 6.32, and my watch gave me 6.26. On target for the first mile then, but not by much, and at that point I was a little worried. My pace started to slip as we continued down the main road, and I think my slowest point in the race was just before the corner.
    Left turn, downhill, time to HTFU. Sped up on the way down, got to the mile 2 marker on target (13.02, I think) and around another corner. Feeling much better now, pretty much all the way to the end. I was working, but the pace always felt sustainable. I had enough energy to get pissed off at a corner around the 3 mile mark, when everyone around me ignored the line of cones in the road and cut the corner at the path - so I charged off down the very middle of the road, and sped up as well to beat the cutters back to the straight. Sped up again for the short downhill section to the coast road, and kept the momentum going for a while.
    The hill slowed me down a bit, but it was a controlled slowdown, just shortening my stride a bit, and I felt good at the top. I was taking it too easy though, because my average pace had dropped to 6.30, and a woman came charging past a hundred m past the top of the hill. She had the right idea, so I followed... By the time we got to the loop at the park I had passed another few people, and had my average pace back down to 6.29. Coming round the last corner I din't think I had a sprint finish in me, until a guy passed me on the outside trailing a pink balloon :confused: Had to try chasing him down and, though I didn't catch him, the chase did take me past another 4 or 5 people.

So, happy with that time, but I think I had more left. A decent placemarker anyway to start the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice one, I don't think anyone had any doubts about sub 32:30 for you. What's next on the agenda?

Lots of BHAA cross country, but next road race is the MB 5k I think. 19.20 target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Lots of BHAA cross country, but next road race is the MB 5k I think. 19.20 target?

Sub 19

In 2009 I ran 33:07 in Raheny and then for the msb 19:25.

Sub 19 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done Ray, but I think you should take a day off now.;)

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Well done Ray, but I think you should take a day off now.;)

:pac:
    Maybe when I go on holiday. In June.:D

So, happy with that time, but I think I had more left. A decent placemarker anyway to start the year.

See, I was right!

Great run, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/6784569775/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Nice pic. shows you definitely werent wrecked though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done ray :)

Jaysus,looking every year of the 40 there :pac: You can see your man with the balloon behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jaysus,looking every year of the 40 there :pac: You can see your man with the balloon behind me.

he must have been the 32.30 pacer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Well done Ray. Nice running!

Time to reset the training paces

Recovery: 5.47-6.06 5.27 - 5.46
    Easy: 5.10-5.28 4.50 - 5.09
    Long: 5.10-5.47 4.50 - 5.27
    Tempo run/interval 4.25-4.37/4.21-4.31 4.07-4.18/4.04-4.12

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Time to reset the training paces

Recovery: 5.47-6.06 5.27 - 5.46
    Easy: 5.10-5.28 4.50 - 5.09
    Long: 5.10-5.47 4.50 - 5.27
    Tempo run/interval 4.25-4.37/4.21-4.31 4.07-4.18/4.04-4.12

:eek:

Nice!!

I'm a little afraid to take that step...

Well done again yesterday! Both on the race, and for putting up with the old couple bickering.. ;)

• Advertisement

10.72k in 54.54 (5.07 average)

Not really according to plan, this run. Intended to do 15/16k, but my hip - that whole area of my right leg really - was a bit stiff and sore, so I dropped the planned lap of UCD and headed straight for home. Was glad I took the short route 20 minutes later, when ... digestive issues raised their head and it became necessary to get home sooner than I'd anticipated :o

The pace felt easy anyway, aside from the sore leg.

kmtd: 292.93
    Runs: 30

Advertisement