Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross country - foot strike and sinking

Options
  • 07-01-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

I ran in the BHAA cross-country in Tymon today. The ground was mostly firm, but there were some muddy sections. I noticed that in the muddier bits, I would land on the ball of my foot, on the inside of the foot (behind my big toe). That part of my foot would sink in more, so my whole leg would bend in, giving me a knock-kneed gait.

So - is this something I should be trying to work against, by trying to distribute the weight more evenly on landing, or keeping my legs straighter? Or is that more trouble than it's worth, and I should just concentrate on running faster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ceepo

If you have that much time to think, are you running hard enough ? ;)

It's very hard to counter act this as every step will be different on that ground, so what you try in training might be different the next day, depending on conditions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For cross country the only thing that you should be concerned about regarding your feet is that it still has a shoe around it next time you lift it off the ground and that you've not twisted anything. If you are analysing anything else about your running then you are not trying hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 metamagical

Although the ground and the traction are uneven in XC, your calves and ankles should be flexible an strong enough to compensate so that you don't wobble all over the place. From the way you talk about your whole leg bending in, it sounds as though you may be lacking some strength. There's nothing wrong with that - XC's a b*tch, and it's hard for everyone - but are you training regularly enough on hills and offroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks all. No, I'm not training regularly offroad - almost all of my running is on solid surfaces. (After today's race my cooldown run was on the path home, and I felt like getting down and kissing ground that wasn't moving under me :D ) And I wasn't pushing hard enough in today's race either, I felt too good at the end.

SIU and HTFU it is then.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 metamagical

You should really be doing your LSR offroad - 10 or 12 miles done relatively slowly on trails will do wonders for your strength without risking injury, and even in summer it's a great way to vary your training if you're doing a lot of track or road work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Just watch Fionnuala Britton and do as she does!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

You should really be doing your LSR offroad - 10 or 12 miles done relatively slowly on trails will do wonders for your strength without risking injury, and even in summer it's a great way to vary your training if you're doing a lot of track or road work.

I think this is great advice... really helps your balance, coordination and strengthens those little mussels that stabilise the knee and ankle. Plus its much more enjoyable then just doing tonnes of miles on the road

Advertisement