Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pistol_75 wrote: »
    You know they're not going to listen to a word of that advice? :rolleyes:

Maybe not, but sure i tried to help with some advice.

I'm not great at the 'told you so' thing. Then again i ran a marathon with a cracked rib from running into a car so really, i can't claim to be the wisest guy in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »

I'm not great at the 'told you so' thing. Then again i ran a marathon with a cracked rib from running into a car so really, i can't claim to be the wisest guy in the world.

Your advice is generally spot on Mr, but Pistol's right! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On a serious note, Ray don't leave the sub 3 30 lads until mile 18 at least, run within yourself as long as you can and use all those people as a windbreaker. And that goes for Mr Slow.

I went with them last year on a nice day (cracked rib too) but its around Clonskeagh the race really begins. Don't be foolish and go too early, its a long way out on a wet and possibly windy day.

This is spot on advice, I have told the same thing to Mr Slow, but it looks like he is not going to listen :rolleyes:.

I am going to warn you Mr Slow, If you blow up after going away from the pacing group early, I WILL take, great pleasure in saying 'I told you so' :D (not like the brother)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am going to warn you Mr Slow, If you blow up after going away from the pacing group early, I WILL take, great pleasure in saying 'I told you so' :D (not like the brother)

I'll just b1tch slap you quiet!:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

One day you and I will run a marathon without being injured/sick/cycling into the back of buses/running into vans with a few weeks/days to go. One day Chinguetti. One day...

• Advertisement

One day you and I will run a marathon without being injured/sick/cycling into the back of buses/running into vans with a few weeks/days to go. One day Chinguetti. One day...

Sounds like a plan RQ, i'm in

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'll just b1tch slap you quiet!:P

Don't start fighting until i make the pub whatever you do:p

Brian, whats the odds on who'll win?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Don't start fighting until i make the pub whatever you do:p

Brian, whats the odds on who'll win?:D

Mr Slow is the favourite no doubt based on the 3 mins between them in the half. I'd go 1/4 MrS, 4/1 Ray. I'm stopping short on making odds on the time they run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow is the favourite no doubt based on the 3 mins between them in the half. I'd go 1/4 MrS, 4/1 Ray. I'm stopping short on making odds on the time they run though.

What are the odds on first to break from the pace group? :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    What are the odds on first to break from the pace group? :pac:

My honest opinion? I'll say you'll break away together and both live happily ever after :p

• Advertisement

4.32km in 23.18 (5.24 pace)

Last little run, up to the park where I did most of my early morning runs last year. Pace was creeping up all the way around. No niggles today, but I do have a cold - knew I should have locked the wife and kids in the attic for the week :rolleyes:
    Nothing serious though, mainly just a runny nose. It doesn't affect my breathing and should be cleared up by Monday anyway.

kmtd: 265.5

Last little run, up to the park where I did most of my early morning runs last year. Pace was creeping up all the way around. No niggles today, but I do have a cold - knew I should have locked the wife and kids in the attic for the week :rolleyes:
    Nothing serious though, mainly just a runny nose. It doesn't affect my breathing and should be cleared up by Monday anyway.

Jesus Ray, mind yourself, that could be the Black Plague, can you get yourself an oxygen tent?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Jesus Ray, mind yourself, that could be the Black Plague, can you get yourself an oxygen tent?

hell no. i'm looking forward to spending hours at the expo - I think I'll go both days - shaking hands with absolutely everyone :D

hell no. i'm looking forward to spending hours at the expo - I think I'll go both days - shaking hands with absolutely everyone :D

Don't forget to lick all the door handles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow Ray. Enjoy. :D

Good luck tomorrow Ray, negative splits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Go Ray...

A few thousand people owe you a beer after all your advice, so I hope you bring a spare liver tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ray best of luck tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. See you in Mcgrattans afterwards... hopefully you will still be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck tomorrow, have a good race!

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    hopefully you will still be there :)

check under the table :)

expo done - it was mad busy - new shoes bought to wear tomorrow, number collected... now just the waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Best of luck Ray
    Bring it home in style-

3.29.12!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

After all my advice to the novices over the last couple of weeks, some of it finally stuck in my head, and I decided I would run a sensible race - stick with the pacers until Fosters Avenue and push on from there. I needn't have bothered making such detailed plans :pac:

After squeezing past several thousand people in wave 2 (yes, I should have just joined from the start) I joined up with Mr Slow, Raccoon Queen and the 3.30 pacers at the front of wave 2. Wasn't hanging around long before we were off. The first few miles felt very easy, as they do, like an LSR but even slower, but even by the time we got to the park it was starting to feel... not tough exactly, but like a real run.

The 3.30 guys were kind of spread out by now, and seemed to be a little behind pace, except for TBubendorfer up front (but it could just be the way we crossed the start line. So I started moving up to just behind TB and decided to hang on there. My energy levels were up and down, some miles I'd feel fine, some miles I'd feel very tired, and my mile splits are all over the place, from about 7.30 to over 8. The powerbar gels seemed to be helping more than the Gu ones.

Things continued up and down through to halfway. The run up Crumlin road was a real pain - not because of wind or pace, but because the road was so narrow all the way up. Made it hard to drop into a rhythm without running into people or traffic cones. Passing halfway we got a nice stretch of wider roads for a while, and there were plenty of people I knew all the way up to Terenure. Even so, when I passed some potholes on the road I was thinking of following woddle's advice and taking a fall:)

Coming into Milltown and the batteries were starting to run down. The gels weren't helping as much but pouring lots of water all over me at each station woke me up a bit. My muscles were starting to complain too, not a persistent pain in one place but rotating between left and right, thighs and calves. Clonskeagh I knew would be tough, but I'd expected it - I'd mentally budgeted some energy for the hill and was able to stay close enough to TBubendorfer, and catch up even more on the way down.

But by then I was done, down to the fumes and not much of those. I'd run an extra .2 of a mile by this point, and from now on it was a game of calculation - watch say 21.4, that's really 21.2, that means 40 minutes to go. get to mile 22 mile marker that means 4.2 to go, that's 34 minutes... I was barely hanging on to 8 minute pace now - I didn't want to walk or slow down, I wanted to get off the road, lie on the ground and curl into a little ball :(

With about 3 miles to go I spotted Mr Slow ahead - I hadn't seen him since the park - and he was obviously struggling. I'm afraid to say this gave me a bit of a boost :rolleyes: I wasn't just chasing TBubendorfer any more, I could chase Mr Slow, and I had a better chance of catching him. :o He gave me something to aim for at least for a couple of miles, something to keep me moving.

I passed with about a mile to go (?) and that last mile was awful :eek: I kept looking at my watch to check the remaining distance and looking for signs on the roadside but there didn't seem to be any (?) There was no speeding up, no sprint finish, but I made it over the line :D

... just as far as a fence about 10 metres in, where I hung on to stop myself falling over :rolleyes: There was no way I was moving on under my own speed so I grabbed a guy with a wheelchair and got him to bring me to the medical tent. 20 minutes lying down, with my feet elevated and I started feeling almost human, but full of cramps. Another wheelchair :cool: to the physio tent for a massage, but I got tired of waiting and shuffled my way around to McGrattans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Brilliant stuff, very well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Brilliant race and brilliant report. Congratulations. Very brave running.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Ray- fantastic stuff, great running, great dogging it out to keep to pace and really well brought home. You were looking well in control at 20 when you spotted me on the side of the road- that made me think you were well on course to reach your goal.
    Hats off to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done Ray - Maximum return from optimal training!!
    Great race report also!

Good man Ray, great going.

So now i know why you never left the chair in the pub:D, you ran to limit - fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Well done, i'm sooo jealous, you deserve every ounce of beer after that!!!!

Advertisement