Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you running Clontarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No, the race series

8.46 km in 58.05 (6.52 average)

Since I'm officially marathon training now, I decided I needed to increase my weekly distance, which has only been 30-40 kilometres these last few weeks. So I'm back on the easy runs into work.
    Did I say easy? This was hard. My legs were stiff as boards, so it wasn't so much a recovery run as a rehabilitation shuffle. I was barely above walking speed, sweating buckets, and I'm just glad I don't wear a HRM because the readings would have been crazy. Same again on Friday...

kmtd: 96.39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on Saturday Ray and cheers again for the lift - mucho appreciated. Always grateful for a facilitated power nap!

RayCun wrote: »
    8.46 km in 58.05 (6.52 average)

Since I'm officially marathon training now, I decided I needed to increase my weekly distance, which has only been 30-40 kilometres these last few weeks. So I'm back on the easy runs into work.
    Did I say easy? This was hard. My legs were stiff as boards, so it wasn't so much a recovery run as a rehabilitation shuffle. I was barely above walking speed, sweating buckets, and I'm just glad I don't wear a HRM because the readings would have been crazy. Same again on Friday...

kmtd: 96.39

You need to start taking things easy at your age Ray :D

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You need to start taking things easy at your age Ray :D

Yeah, I'm looking forward to competing with the M40s next year :pac:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to competing with the M40s next year :pac:

Not joining Digger and Meno in the Masters then?

I'm not quite in Digger's zimmer-assisted category yet, and Meno just looks ancient.

7.99k in 40.11 (5.02 average)

Club session tonight - 1350m laps around a hilly circuit. My first run with the club, back at the end of April, was the same session. Pace that time? 4.04, 4.09, 4.13

Tonight? 3 laps at a pace of 4.13, 4.29, 4.38

I'm not sure what's going on. Not enough longer runs? Didn't incorporate the club sessions properly into my weekly training? Overtrained in the spring and this is the rebound? Alien Space Bats? Whatever - I'm not just failing to improve by as much as expected, right now I'm actively going backwards.

Anyway, the kids club is stopped for the summer, so from next week I'll only be going to one club session a week. That will allow me to fit in another longer run from the P&D schedule - let's see what marathon training does to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not joining Digger and Meno in the Masters then?

The masters is for over 35's, I don't qualify yet, but I think you do.

• Advertisement

8.56 km in 54.10 (6.19 average)

Hobbled into work again, not as ridiculously slow as Wednesday but still quite stiff and sore.

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|64.85pacman.gif
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

menoscemo wrote: »
    The masters is for over 35's, I don't qualify yet, but I think you do.

They won't let me in due to my youthful good looks! ;)

20.11 km in 114.45 (5.42 average)

First LSR of the programme...

was a bit worried about this, because my calf was stiff and sore before I'd even left the house this morning. Stopped a couple of times in the first few miles to stretch it out, and after that it was fine. The run felt easy enough after that, though I think it would have got harder soon enough if I'd kept going.

Route today was up to the Phoenix Park, up the Kyber and looped around Wellington Road, then back up the Kyber and looped around to the left, down Furze Road and the s-bends, before going home. Second time going up the Kyber I had to stop to let a herd of deer cross the road. Then as I came around Upper Glen Road, at the car park there I saw a bunch of guys walking off into the fields carrying big (2 metre wingspan) model airplanes. I ran in after them, pointing out the signs, suggesting that it might not be a good idea, but on they went...

kmtd: 28.67

I ran in after them, pointing out the signs, suggesting that it might not be a good idea, but on they went...

Ray, being a moderator only applies here! :P

Less of your cheek, or you'll find your posts being edited when you're not looking...

Less of your cheek, or you'll find your posts being edited when you're not looking...

That has happened a few of my quotes of late!

What are you targetting for the 5 mile?

Don't know really - under 34 I guess. I'll see how the next couple of weeks go, and how I feel on the day.

Don't know really - under 34 I guess. I'll see how the next couple of weeks go, and how I feel on the day.

Have a pop at beating Perky?

I was two or three minutes ahead of him at Sportsworld, I think

I was two or three minutes ahead of him at Sportsworld, I think

He paced badly there, if he gets his pacing right he could do damage, we'll have to wait and see! :D

• Advertisement

Sure I was faster than him at the Donore 5k too. No offence to Perki, but if he beats me at this race it will be because my running really has gone to **** recently...

Sure I was faster than him at the Donore 5k too. No offence to Perki, but if he beats me at this race it will be because my running really has gone to **** recently...

He went from 21:xx at Donore to 20:33 the night before Dunshaughlin.

He went from 21:xx at Donore to 20:33 the night before Dunshaughlin.

Yeah, we all lost time in Donore... I suppose, with better pacing, he could have improved by 2/3 minutes over the three months. Sure we'll have to see what happens on the day...

Yeah, we all lost time in Donore... I suppose, with better pacing, he could have improved by 2/3 minutes over the three months. Sure we'll have to see what happens on the day...

Ah, he called me out so I'll just have to bitchslap him back into his box :P

I'll get you that pint I owe you in Ryan's afterwards, or I may simply get Perky to buy you one! :D

Call it 5 km/3 miles, just for the stats....

Boot camp session down at the club. Suited me, because I've decided to take the running easier at these club sessions. I think I've been pushing the faster runs too hard... that's the latest theory anyway :):rolleyes:

Anyway, just because the running was easier doesn't mean this was an easy session - there were pressups, sit-ups, running drills, medicine ball work, relay races (including one carrying weights), jumping... pretty much everything except the pole vault. What we learned -
    - I'm terrible at pressups - one bit was 5 press-ups, run to next bit, 5 again, run... after 6 x 5 I was done
    - I'm really terrible at sit-ups. Ab crunches are fine, but try sitting up more than that and my feet lift instead, and
    - I cannot corner on grass. I like taking corners tight in road races, I really feel I'm leaning in and pushing off well - I probably speed up on the corners. But on grass? After every corner I drift a couple of yards outside. Funny more than anything, but it occurred to me that I'm thinking of running cross-country this coming winter...

Good session anyway, I'll be feeling it in my arms tomorrow

kmtd: 33.67

16.16 km in 95.20 (5.54 pace)

As per the 'improvers' thread, I decided that 'general aerobic' pace was the same as 'long run' pace, and I was glad I did. Very stiff after Tuesday's session, noticed it more in the arms during the day but felt it in the legs during the run. Basically the usual warming up stiffness, that never went away.

So, not a super-easy run, but on the other hand - September last year I was running this same route (2 miles shorter) at the same pace as my midweek 'marathon pace' run.

kmtd: 49.83

16.16 km in 95.20 (5.54 pace)

As per the 'improvers' thread, I decided that 'general aerobic' pace was the same as 'long run' pace, and I was glad I did. Very stiff after Tuesday's session, noticed it more in the arms during the day but felt it in the legs during the run. Basically the usual warming up stiffness, that never went away.

So, not a super-easy run, but on the other hand - September last year I was running this same route (2 miles shorter) at the same pace as my midweek 'marathon pace' run.

kmtd: 49.83

LSR pace of 9 min miles? Is 3:30 the plan, I thought you had 3:20 in mind?

LSR pace of 9 min miles? Is 3:30 the plan, I thought you had 3:20 in mind?

Will probably be 3.50 by October :D

Will probably be 3.50 by October :D

Ah I thought you'd be well over that by now, get back in the game!!!

What's the goal for the 5 mile? sub 33/34???

• Advertisement

What's the goal for the 5 mile? sub 33/34???

Same as when you asked me on Monday :pac:

Advertisement