Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

5.29 miles in 52.10 (9.51 pace)

After yesterday's rush of blood to the head, today was a slooooow recovery run in to work. Really do feel better for it...

mtd: 33.02

5.38 miles in 48.22 (8.58 pace)

Easy run home from work, with 10x100 strides thrown in. Was reading somewhere that strides should be done with an exaggerated running style, so today I tried lifting my knees higher than usual. Felt a bit odd, but I'll persevere. Could still feel Monday's run in my legs, especially after the strides, so tomorrow will be another ice and easy recovery run.

mtd: 38.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's all good running Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    T
    Targets

5k - sub 20

5 mile - sub 35

Half Marathon - sub 1.40

Marathon - sub 3.30

10k and 10 mile... sub 45 and 75,

You must be reassessing these already? With maybe the exception of the 5k.

Yeah, the 5k is still going to be tight, but I think I'll be looking for 43something at the Great Ireland Run, 33/34 at Sportsworld 5 mile, and some improvement on both at Dunshaughlin and the Irish Runner 5. The longer distances... I'll wait until they're closer before setting any faster targets...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, the 5k is still going to be tight, but I think I'll be looking for 43something at the Great Ireland Run, 33/34 at Sportsworld 5 mile, and some improvement on both at Dunshaughlin and the Irish Runner 5. The longer distances... I'll wait until they're closer before setting any faster targets...

GIR is a real tough course. I was 43:44 round it last year from the elite pen (Boards AC gave me this advantage), so get yourself right to the top of the fast pen. That said the problem of starting up the top was that I shot off too fast and blew up in the hills on the second half of the course :rolleyes:

Judging from your Raheny time (nearly 30 seconds faster than me), you should be good for low 43's/ high 42's, especially since I missed most of Feb injured. I was 20:50 in MSB last year so I can see you in the low 20s already and you'll definately go sub 20 later in the year.

Id say you're right to keep the marathon target at 3:30 for the moment as marathon is a different beast but you'll absolutely smash 1:40 for the half and 75 for the 10 miler before the end of the year.

Yeah, on a different course I'd be confident of going under 43, but I could get stuck in traffic at the start (even at the front of the fast pen :rolleyes:), and don't know how much those hills will take out of me...

Yeah, on a different course I'd be confident of going under 43, but I could get stuck in traffic at the start (even at the front of the fast pen :rolleyes:), and don't know how much those hills will take out of me...

To put it in perspective, I ran about 20:30 for the first half (breaking my 5k PB from just a month previous) and was feeling great at this stage, but managed to take over 23 minutes for the second 5k. On second thoughts you might be better off in a bit of traffic at the start :pac:

5.3 miles in 50.13 (9.28 pace)

Another very slow and easy run in to work.

mtd: 43.7

7.82 miles in 1.06.44 (8.31 pace)
    2 x 1 mile @ 5k pace

Two miles nice and easy up to Tymon park @ 9.24 and 8.47 pace, then 1 mile @ 6.30, half mile recovery @ 9.03, and another mile @ 6.39. Target was under 6.40 for both so pleased with that (and a little surprised by the first one). It felt a bit windy up there today, so the first half of each mile was a bit of a struggle, getting easier in the second half with the wind behind me.

An even 6.40 pace won't get me under 20 minutes, but the plan is to go out at that and find a steady running pace for the first couple of miles, then for the last 1.1 stop looking at my watch and just try to speed up. My PB is 21.55 so I should knock a chunk off that, anything under 20.30 would be great. (Last year's time was 25.12)

mtd: 51.52

• Advertisement

5.45 miles in 47.54 (8.47 pace)

Run home from work. Feeling a bit off today - legs a bit tired, groin a bit tender - so was happy not to push the pace, and didn't do any strides

mtd: 56.97

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Just found your training log there. Great stuff.Well done on the dedication so far! You have very similar goals to me this year, in particular the half marathon and marathon times for this year so will be following with interest.:)

5.45 miles in 47.54 (8.47 pace)

Run home from work. Feeling a bit off today - groin a bit tired, legs a bit tender - so was happy not to push the pace, and didn't do any strides

mtd: 56.97

Good weekend then?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

7.82 miles in 1.06.44 (8.31 pace)
    2 x 1 mile @ 5k pace

Two miles nice and easy up to Tymon park @ 9.24 and 8.47 pace, then 1 mile @ 6.30, half mile recovery @ 9.03, and another mile @ 6.39. Target was under 6.40 for both so pleased with that (and a little surprised by the first one). It felt a bit windy up there today, so the first half of each mile was a bit of a struggle, getting easier in the second half with the wind behind me.

An even 6.40 pace won't get me under 20 minutes, but the plan is to go out at that and find a steady running pace for the first couple of miles, then for the last 1.1 stop looking at my watch and just try to speed up. My PB is 21.55 so I should knock a chunk off that, anything under 20.30 would be great. (Last year's time was 25.12)

mtd: 51.52

Wow, that would be some chunk of last year's PB and off your current PB. My PB is 23.40 and I just can't see me beating that on Sunday. Then again, my focus is really on the marathon in June. :)

5.83 miles in 52.37 (9.02 pace)

Nice and easy run back in to work...

mtd: 62.8

6.77 miles in 1.00.06 (8.53 pace)

Slow and steady run up to Terenure, to enter the Sportsworld 5 mile classic in May, and equally slow run back. Nice day for it, glad I took the day off.

mtd: 69.55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck on Sunday Ray, sub 20 - 20:30 should be well on for you. Enjoy the feast afterwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Good luck Sunday sub 20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck on Sunday Ray. You should be well on form for a PB from your training!

Best of luck Ray.

• Advertisement

An even 6.40 pace won't get me under 20 minutes, but the plan is to go out at that and find a steady running pace for the first couple of miles, then for the last 1.1 stop looking at my watch and just try to speed up.

So... eh, not so much :rolleyes:
    Shot out of the gates, with a 6.11 first mile. It felt too easy, and the temptation to get out of the crowds was too much. (Looking back on the Garmin track I have substantial chunks of that first mile at faster than 6.00 pace, which is just not sustainable)
    Started to slow into the second mile, and slowed some more when we turned onto the canal and into those gale-force winds :eek: (okay, some people might have described them as gentle breezes, and they may not technically have been enough to move a single leaf on a tree... but I'm sticking to my story). Second mile went by in 6.30, so I was theoretically still on target, but everything was trending in the wrong direction.
    Third mile I was blown - I could just about keep up the pace, but speeding up was impossible. Last mile was 6.31, and the last bit was 6.33.

The crazy thing is that my average pace for the race was 6.24, so exactly on target, but my distance travelled was 3.19 miles. I could have been a bit better at sticking to the racing line, but not a lot, and you have to expect that kind of congestion in a race like this. (and probably a few feet at each end are me being slow to start/stop the Garmin)

Anyway, two more bites at the cherry planned this year - Donore Harriers summer 5k and Rathfarnham 5k - both net downhill:D

3.19 miles in 20.27 (chip time was 20.22) (6.24 pace)

mtd: 72.74

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good run Ray, you possibly could have run 10/15 seconds faster with better pacing but i wouldnt worry about it, its still impressive running. See you at the Donore Race.

Yeah, I think even with better pacing, and even with a clear run at the start, I'm just not at sub 20 yet. But give me another couple of months...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the pb Ray, that's some savage running.

Well done Ray, that's a super run.

That's a good run and great improvement.

If you keep the consitency up you'll definately smash the sub 20 in the donore race. there are a lot fewer runners and you can keep the racing line a lot more. Last year it was exactly 5k on my Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

3.19 miles in 20.27 (chip time was 20.22) (6.24 pace)

Wow fantastic time!:eek: Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Wow, fantastic time Ray, really great! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great run and congrats on PB.

Thought I saw you before hand outside Mansion House but wasn't sure if it was you so didn't want to go over to your group and say "are you raycun" just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good man Ray, nice time there...

I got 20:19 on the garmin, so we must have been finishing almost together.

No surprise there really....

Advertisement