Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    And all the jokes he made about it on Sunday! :D

Yep he was laughing at me on Sunday, then bought one on Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

10.01 miles in 90:26 (9.02 pace)
    5 x 2.30 hill intervals

another hard VO2 session, but this one was very necessary. Not many decent hills on my normal run routes so I need some practice. 3 miles run up to Phoenix Park, and then 2.30 intervals up the Kyber Road. Pretty slow throughout, not helped by the gentle breeze in my face from halfway up.

interval 1: .37 miles 6.51 pace (I thought I'd be faster after the first, but no...)
    2: .36 miles 7.06 pace
    3: .34m 7.24
    4: .34 7.26
    5: .34 7.26

Pretty poor overall, but it was my first VO2 session in a while. Will be doing 6 of these in two weeks, should be faster then. 3 miles warmdown back from the park.

mtd: 73.85

8.82 miles in 72:44 (8.14 pace)

LSR day...
    Hip a little sore in the first mile but it got better, arch of my left foot still sore, but slowly improving. Picked up a foam roller on Friday and have given it a few minutes the last few nights, seems to be helping...

mtd: 82.67

8.2 miles in 68:53 (8.24 pace)

Same again. Kept the pace down a bit more today, running up through Clonskeagh then back down and home.

A little stiffness in the right hip so I skipped the strides - want to let it recover more. Foot was fine through the run, but is a little sore now.

mtd: 90.87

My son turned 8 last month, making him old enough to join a running club, and this week OH brought him up to Bros. Pearse AC in Knocklyon. They have a grown-ups training session at the same time as the kids one, which is really handy. He liked it, but she's still suffering with shin splints and sessions don't help, so today I went up (instead of doing a recovery run this morning :rolleyes:)

It was a good session - about a mile and a half warm-up, running up to a hill opposite the Speaker Connolly's. It's not too much of a hill, but we did a lap that took us up it three times, at 6.30-6.40 pace. Messed up the laps on the Garmin (stopped and started, but didn't start new laps :rolleyes:) so I'm not sure of the distance, think it was 1200/1300m. 3 of those laps, with 3/4 minutes recovery between each one, and a warmdown run back to the kids. A nice workout, and a nice bunch of people (compared to all you internet weirdos :D).

mtd: 95.37

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    It was a good session - about a mile and a half warm-up, running up to a hill opposite the Speaker Connolly's. It's not too much of a hill, but we did a lap that took us up it three times, at 6.30-6.40 pace.

That's pretty much right across the road from me, but I've never actually run up it...

That's pretty much right across the road from me, but I've never actually run up it...

It's not much of a hill really, maybe 20 seconds to the peak, we really had to do it three times to get the benefit. You should come along next time, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7-8... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

It's not much of a hill really, maybe 20 seconds to the peak, we really had to do it three times to get the benefit. You should come along next time, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7-8... :)

Pimping already Ray- fair play

Good to catch up yesterday.

7 o'clock start in Cherryfield RK-
    Come along and join us- a good mix of abilities I'd say

W.B. Yeats wrote: »

Yeah, we were in the group doing laps at 6.30-6.40 pace, but there was another, slower group behind, and a couple of people in between the two groups

• Advertisement

He's gone to the dark side people.:eek:

No fecking bikes or swimsuits for me, thank you very much! :p

jaysus, and I thought you were all about the group runs...

No fecking bikes or swimsuits for me, thank you very much! :p

jaysus, and I thought you were all about the group runs...

It starts like that Ray, first you join a club...

I like the group runs, I just don't fancy having to run to a schedule but I know a lot of people feel that club running brings them on in leaps and bounds so good luck with it!

7pm close to home is too early for me - given that I work in the city centre and don't drive.

mrslow wrote: »
    I like the group runs, I just don't fancy having to run to a schedule but I know a lot of people feel that club running brings them on in leaps and bounds so good luck with it!

yeah, it only works for me because the kid is running too. But it was good doing the laps with other people - keeps you honest

7pm close to home is too early for me - given that I work in the city centre and don't drive.

A good feed of chilli over lunch and you should be able to propel yourself home quite quickly on a pair of rollerblades (as per your recent run)

yeah, it only works for me because the kid is running too. But it was good doing the laps with other people - keeps you honest

I have to say, doing the laps with Meno and Brian the other night was far easier than other sessions I've done, granted Meno said we should have been going faster but still it was like the race effect.

Keeps you very honest- I'd never run as fast if I was on my own
    The other advantage is probably pushing you to do the extra rep

Funny but its the only club time that seems to suit me
    Most of the other clubs have group starting at 6.30 or even earlier :eek:

Are you busing it?
    If you cycled you could be killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.....

Are you busing it?
    If you cycled you could be killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.....
    Yeah I'm busing it, which doesn't help matters because the 49 is crap. :pac:

Don't currently own a bike, but I do plan on taking advantage of the Bike to Work scheme...

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm busing it, which doesn't help matters because the 49 is crap. :pac:

Ah, but if you're not going all the way home you have a better selection of buses to choose from, so you'd have plenty of time... :D

RK, while you're under pressure, when are you signing up for Dublin? :D

mrslow wrote: »
    RK, while you're under pressure, when are you signing up for Dublin? :D

This time next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I do plan on taking advantage of the Bike to Work scheme.
    Getting a cross bar from someone? :pac:

Ah, but if you're not going all the way home you have a better selection of buses to choose from, so you'd have plenty of time... :D

Indeed
    65's
    15B
    54A
    150 and probably a few others all go within a few 100m of Cherryfield
    No excuses!

10.96 miles in 96:33 (8.48 pace)

Easy, longer run today, instead of the planned tempo run. AIUI, the club runs are all sessions of some sort - intervals, tempo runs, whatever - so my schedule will be to do those on Tues/Thurs, recovery runs Wed/Fri mornings, and then a longer run on the weekend, usually Sunday. Might as well throw my books out the window :rolleyes: :D

Hips a little stiff, left foot a little sore again, but nothing much.

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

Distance down a bit this month, because of the week off after the GIR.

Back to the club session (in my shiny new Boards top :D), this time for 300m reps :eek: 15 reps with about a minute recovery (although I think a couple of the recovery periods were longer) Relatively easy pace for the first 10 reps, picking it up for the last 5 -
    69, 68, 69, 68, 70, 68, 69, 68, 68, 69, 65, 67, 65, 65, 63
    (Mile pace was somewhere between 5.30 and 6.00, but the Garmin couldn't really handle a tight loop so it was much more variable than the times would suggest)

Was a great session to do with a group - I didn't look at the watch at all, just hung on the shoulder of the guy in front and let him set the pace. (And let him burn me off on the last couple of reps too, when he picked it up I just had to let him go)

3.67 total, including warmup and warmdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Jesus Ray, things are getting serious with the Intervals !!!

Also you have opened up a handy gap in the 1000…

Things are not looking good for Drakie… :mad::mad::mad:

You were injured last year too, weren't you? And still flew past me once you warmed up...

• Advertisement

5.96 miles in 59:23 (9.58 pace)

Very slow recovery run back into work. Right hip was stiff for most of the way - I jarred it a bit on one of the later intervals last night. (The 'track' is cut into the grass of a field, so not very even - and the grass wants cutting :))

mtd: 9.63

Advertisement