Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yes, feeling better. Still the odd cough, but felt fine during today's run -

5k in 21.50

The 5k-with-Ray today. Entered just because I had the day off anyway, and was a lovely day for a run, but right up to the start I was wondering how to approch this - slow run? tempo? throw in some strides? :confused:
    At the last minute I thought, "Oh, Sonia O'Sullivan is running this, I'll keep up with her" (she said she was running at Ray Darcy's pace). That lasted less than 5 minutes, until she got bored crawling along and decided to stretch her legs. I'd settled into a comfortable pace by then anyway, so just continued at that all the way around.

I'm afraid I was a little cruel too - I was working my way through the field all the way around, but some guy obviously decided he wasn't going to let me go. Three or four times he caught up with me, and then slowly fell back. As we went around the track at the end I knew he was getting close again... until I sprinted to the finish. :P

mtd: 34.02

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm afraid I was a little cruel too - I was working my way through the field all the way around, but some guy obviously decided he wasn't going to let me go. Three or four times he caught up with me, and then slowly fell back. As we went around the track at the end I knew he was getting close again... until I sprinted to the finish.

What's cruel about that? It's a race! Some middle aged dude (not Digger) was really pis5ed that I stole his thunder in the New Year's Day 5k, Life's a B1tch!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ray, great time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the result.

Was there a bit of a downer at the race because Jenny Kelly's Dad died this morning? Was sad to hear it this morning, and they were on air when they were called away.

You should be set up for a belter of a race on Sunday.

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done on the result.

Was there a bit of a downer at the race because Jenny Kelly's Dad died this morning? Was sad to hear it this morning, and they were on air when they were called away.

You should be set up for a belter of a race on Sunday.

That's terrible, he was on air one morning, sounded like a gent. I think he was a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck on Sunday Ray. Sub 43 or die trying?

Aimman wrote: »
    Was there a bit of a downer at the race because Jenny Kelly's Dad died this morning?

A bit, and I think quite a few people were looking forward to running/getting photos with Ray, so there was something missing from the day for them.

Sub 43? Maybe - it's such a course of two halves that I don't really know how it will work out. The plan is to go 6.50 from the start and hang on to that pace through the hills. I don't even know what that would work out at :) The target race is Dunshaughlin anyway, this is just a tester...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck tomorrow. Enjoy.

10k in 46.39 :(:mad::eek:

I think that's my worst race performance so far.:(

The splits say it all
    7.40 :eek:
    8.05 :eek::eek::eek:
    8.01 :eek::eek:
    6.42 pace for the last bit

The most annoying thing is that I lost the mental battle. I knew from an early stage that sub-43 wasn't on - I was having trouble with that groin/thigh muscle when I warmed up, and in the first mile I was pushing to keep my pace up, rather than slowing myself down - and I just caved. I didn't set any secondary target, and I stopped pushing. That was fine for the first few miles, but it meant I didn't speed up again when I crested each hill, just kept trudging along. Even in the last km I found it hard to motivate myself, and didn't speed up until I was practically at the finish line.

It was a hot day and a tough course, and I might have to take the week off to give this muscle time to recover. In retrospect, that 5k on Friday wasn't so smart either. But I would have been well capable of going under 45 at least, probably under 44, if I'd just worked at it...:mad:

mtd: 40.22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Unlucky Raycun, next time for sure and on a more favourable course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on the 5K, great time.

And, that 10K time is brill too. I know you are disappointed, but it does sound like a tough course by the reports I've read, plus you did an awful lot of training during the week, and then topped it off with 2 races :pac:

Ray, sorry to read your race report, you'll bounce back for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear the Great Ireland Run didn't go as planned. I do agree with RubyK though, you appear to have jammed a lot into the week of 4th - 8th April which itself included a race, so being 100% for sunday would have been tough.

No matter how much we prepare, not all of our races will go to plan so think of it this way; you got the bad one out of the way for this year :) it's all stronger and faster from here on in

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

It was a hot day to be racing. I reckon that caught alot of people out and affected their performance.
    Plus I think when you know in your head early on in the race that you aren't going to meet your target, its very easy to get demoralised which can mess up your running even further.
    Still well done, especially on the 5k time.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you've been training on the edge for a while, take a recovery week and get back into it with fresh legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hard luck Ray, but its not the end of the world. There's plenty of 10ks coming up in the next few months, lots of opportunities to get that sub 43.

Dont know how your recovery is at the moment, but I can recommend the BHAA Smurfit 10k in the K-Club on Saturday, its very flat and two handy loops. there were a lot of PBs got there last year. Nice grub in the clubhouse too.:)

Oh, I'm taking the week off completely, and planning to smash Sportsworld, Donore Summer 5k, and Dunshaughlin...

8.39 miles in 71:29 (8.31 pace)

You'd think a week off would have done me more good... Still have that niggle in the thigh, and calves were feeling a bit tight for the first few miles. Right one still is, in fact.

Ran up along the Clonskeagh section of the marathon route, to the corner of Fosters Avenue, then back the way I came before turning for home.

mtd: 48.61

Still have that niggle in the thigh, and calves were feeling a bit tight for the first few miles.

Get thee 'The Stick' they're brilliant!

Only realised a few minutes ago that I was wearing the wrong runners - an older pair I usually keep for easy recovery runs. So that probably didn't help. But yeah, I may need to pick up one of those self-torture devices...

• Advertisement

5.32 miles in 50:25 (9.29 pace)

Recovery run back into work. Thigh was very sore starting off, but loosened up after about a mile. Pace crept up too, think the first mile took about 10 minutes, and the last few around 9.10/9.20.

mtd: 53.93

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Maybe you should go to a physio for a look at the thigh. A good sports massage might sort it out?

Yeah, I might have to

5.49 miles in 47:14 (8.36 pace)

Decided to play it safe with only a short run home today, no detours to bring it up to 8 or 9 miles. Felt hard too - calves tight again, and the arch of my left foot was sore all the way. Will drop over to base2race in the next few days to get a foam roller. On the bright side though - and I didn't realise it until I was home - I had no pain in the thigh at all :confused: Seems to have just disappeared completely.:)

mtd: 58.42

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

That's good going...especially with the heat today.Went for a run in the Phoenix Park this morning and found it very tough with that sun to keep a consistent pace! Evening runs are probably a better bet:rolleyes:

5.49 miles in 47:14 (8.36 pace)

Decided to play it safe with only a short run home today, no detours to bring it up to 8 or 9 miles. Felt hard too - calves tight again, and the arch of my left foot was sore all the way. Will drop over to base2race in the next few days to get a foam roller. On the bright side though - and I didn't realise it until I was home - I had no pain in the thigh at all :confused: Seems to have just disappeared completely.:)

mtd: 58.42

I have both the Grid and the Stick and if your calves are the issue, go for the stick. The lads in Base2Race will give you a DVD to go along with it where a guy who looks like he couldn't run across the road shows you how to work every muscle group in your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    I have both the Grid and the Stick and if your calves are the issue, go for the stick. The lads in Base2Race will give you a DVD to go along with it where a guy who looks like he couldn't run across the road shows you how to work every muscle group in your body.

I got the stick the other day Ray and although not cheap, it's pretty effective!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I got the stick the other day Ray and although not cheap, it's pretty effective!

<insert joke about not needing a stick to beat them away>

5.42 miles in 52:57 (9.46 pace)

slow, slow run back in to work. Foot still sore, and legs generally stiff, but not too bad

mtd: 63.84

• Advertisement

<insert joke about not needing a stick to beat them away>

And all the jokes he made about it on Sunday! :D

Advertisement