Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

5.3 miles in 45.56

'Steady' run this evening (apart from traffic lights, hills, getting tired, speeding up because being tired is no excuse...) which in the end took exactly as long as Tuesday's fartlek.

Legs were still a bit sore from Tuesday, they're just not used to faster running

4 miles in 38.54 up to the Donore clubhouse

followed by

5k in 21.55

I'm still improving (and that's about 6/7 minutes faster than last year!) but that's a bit disappointing. The limiting factor was my breathing, after about a k I was sounding like a steam train on my way round, and I really felt that if I pushed any faster I'd run out of breath almost immediately :( (On the upside, I felt like I could have stuck that pace for longer, so we'll see how the Raheny 5 goes) It was freezing before the start, and a bit slippy all the way round - so I couldn't keep as tight a line as I'd have liked - but that's only a few seconds difference really. Oh well, at least I sneaked in under the 22...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brilliantly well done. Dont know how you can run so fast in the snow. Respect man!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Ray, progress is progress, that's 45 seconds faster than rathfarnham in september on a much more difficult course, so a big improvement. and you beat RQ and Sarsfield Rock :pac:

You are now heading into 2011 with a set of PB's almost identical to the ones I headed into 2010 with (except your marathon time is much better :(). Best of luck for the new year. Patience and consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That's very good running in the conditions Ray...Did 10 miles in the park on Saturday morning myself (with mrslow, rk and some girl mrslow brought home from Leeson st. the night before :D ) and wouldn't have been keen on sub 7 min miles with those conditions. No doubting there's a sub 20 for you in 2011 based on your work/numbers.

• Advertisement

5.37 miles in 53.05

Run home through the snow. Forgot my hat so I had a crest of snow by the time I got home (a peaked cap would have been even handier, to stop the snow blowing into my eyes) and my sleeveless jacket was in the wash. The most annoying thing though was the way the snow stuck to my soles and compacted into snowballs as I was running, so every few strides I had to kick my feet along the ground to scrape it off.
    Left leg very stiff now, all the way up to my back. Perhaps some wine would loose it up...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Left leg very stiff now, all the way up to my back. Perhaps some wine would loose it up...?

Wine is defiantely the answer. In fact if the injury persists, wine might be the best way of getting the 1000 mile challenge completed. After a couple of bottles, you won't feel a thing :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wine is defiantely the answer. In fact if the injury persists, wine might be the best way of getting the 1000 mile challenge completed. After a couple of bottles, you won't feel a thing :pac:

That is the voice of experience speaking....;)

5.4 miles in 1.01

Walking is too slow, and almost as much work, so I ran in this morning. Alternated between running on the road on sidestreets and slogging through soft, thick snow everywhere else. Hard going, but the only way to travel.

5.5 miles in ...forgot to turn off my watch

Ran home, then back to the shop for peat briquettes. Legs getting very tired and sore, but I'm finished work now so I'll take the next few days off. The GOAL mile is out now - even if it's on it would be too much hassle getting there on Christmas morning.

• Advertisement

8 miles in 1.10.20 - bringing me up to 1000 for the year :D

but also, this was my first proper session of 5k training
    6 x 600m at current 5k pace

Jogged two miles up to Tymon Park at around 9.30 pace, then six intervals. Current 5k pace is about 7.00, so I tried to keep the pace just under 7. I'm terrible at pacing though, so on each rep I went out at 6.30 or so, and then tried not to slow down too much.
    Intervals were 6.55 pace (2.29 time), 6.51 (2.28), 6.49 (2.27), 6.56 (2.29), 6.53 (2.29) and 6.24 (2.18) for the last one. Hard work, but I managed to keep on target for each rep. Can't imagine doing 5k at the speed of the last rep, but that's my goal pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done. Great effort. I've still got approx 26 miles to get in by mid-night on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done in finishing the 1000 mile Ray... Just in time for the 2011 session... Looking forward to another years of swopping places on the list...

5.41 miles in 46.19 (8.34 pace)

Quite a fast run home today so I could have a shower before the water was cut off :rolleyes:

5.4 miles in 48.31 (8.59 pace)

Run back into work, a little slower this time. I might make a habit of this in the new year - run home from work on day and in the next morning. Would make it easy enough to bring stuff in and out, and I'm getting used to running with a small bag on my back.

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats on the 1000 Ray, great year of running from you. Hope 2011 is even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ran home, then back to the shop for peat briquettes..

Thats more like Military training :D

Well done on getting the 1000 challenge complete

Ran home, then back to the shop for peat briquettes. .

You'd have thought he could have gone himself.....;)

10.2 miles in 1.28.51
    and another 5k session - 2 x 2mile intervals at LT pace
    My half marathon time was 1.48, I reckon now it would be a few minutes faster, which puts LT pace around 7.40-7.50. ish. Close enough anyway

2 miles up to Tymon - 9.40 and 9.35 pace
    First interval - 7.49, 7.45
    Half mile recovery - 9.22
    Second interval - 7.41, 7.43
    Run home - 9.30, 9.13, 8.59, 8.47

Took the long way home, because I realised I hadn't run double figures in months and probably won't again for another couple of months. Intervals were hard enough, and I remain crap at judging pace - first couple of minutes of each session were spent speeding up and slowing down, looking at my watch :rolleyes: But at least the 9s felt easy afterwards.

5.45 miles in 47.44 (8.45 pace)

Trying to slow my slide down the 1000 mile challenge table! Bit of a blister on my right foot after Sunday's run, when I looked at the socks afterwards I realised they were for the bin.

mtd: 15.65 miles

• Advertisement

4.38 miles in 39.04 (8.55 pace)

Ran into work this morning. I was thinking that this could be a good routine for me - bus in and run home/run in and bus home, 4 midweek runs, 20 miles, winner! - but then I got in this morning and discovered the shower wasn't working :mad:

mtd: 20.03 miles

5.35 miles in 48.06 (8.59 pace)
    including 6 x 100m strides

Left calf feeling a bit sore this morning. It had cleared up by the afternoon, but after 6 (of the planned 10) strides both legs were getting sore so I decided to give them a rest and take it easy the rest of the way home. 25 miles in 5 days is my heaviest running since the marathon, and I want to be able for the intervals session on the weekend.

mtd: 25.38 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great running Ray. The new year is off to a great start for you.

I have to keep up on the 1000 mile challenge :)
    I'm feeling it this morning though...

I have to keep up on the 1000 mile challenge :)
    I'm feeling it this morning though...

Ray, Another year and another 1000, should be fun to see how our positions swap around this year ???

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Ray, Another year and another 1000, should be fun to see how our positions swap around this year ???

you're off to a flying start - I'll probably have to do a Tonya Harding if I'm going to keep up :D

Iv probably gone off to hard, as the legs and knees are in bit this morning. Rest today but hopefully a good few miles at the weekend.

7.7 miles in 1.06.51 (8.41 average)
    including another 5k session - 4 x 1k at a few seconds over target 5k pace

Two easy miles up to the park before starting on the intervals. Target 5k pace for the year is 6.24 (I think? - sub 20 pace anyway) but I won't get there by the end of this training programme. By the end of the year, with any luck. I decided to set 6.40-6.45 pace as my target for this session.

First interval did my usual madness, pace was down around 6.15 after 30 seconds so it was controlled slowing all the way after that. 6.41 at the end.

Second interval was better, still too fast at the start but not by so much, and it felt easier having warmed up in the first one. 6.40 average.

Third interval was hard. Halfway around I checked my pace and it was over 7.
    Me: Speed up legs!
    Legs (and lungs): This is sped up! Your watch is wrong!
    Got the pace down to 6.50 by the end, but it felt very hard.

Fourth interval was not so bad, 6.47 pace.
    Three minutes jogging recovery between the intervals, and a couple of miles home afterwards.

These VO2 sessions are hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

That's a great workout Ray, well done.
    Neil

• Advertisement

5.37 miles in 46.46 (8.42 average)

Run home from work. Still stiff and sore from Sunday so the rest f this week could be fun...

Advertisement