Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

5.29 miles in 46.23 (8.47 pace)

Yesterday's run felt fine but I was very tired that evening, so this morning I tried to slow it down a little. It was actually quite difficult to stay down below 8.3x pace, I'll have to do some relearning when I start the summer LSRs.

mtd: 35.94

6.05 miles in 51.39 (8.31 pace)

Tired again today, and the second half of this run felt very hard for what it was. Hope I feel better by Saturday, plan to do a 2 mile time trial...

mtd: 41.99

6.53 miles in 56.27 (8.38 pace)

Wasn't feeling great this morning, legs still tired and stiff from the week's running. Jogged up to the park and did a few strides to warm up, but legs felt like blocks of wood. Still, I've a schedule to follow, an sometimes you feel better once you get going... but not today.
    Aim was to do two miles at under 6.30 pace. First mile went by in 6.35, got about .25 into the second mile and just quit. Didn't even think about it really, I saw my pace was dropping, knew I wasn't going to make it, and as soon as the thought of stopping even entered my head my legs just stopped :(
    Oh well, another month of training before the MSB race, and I'll have another couple of shots at this time trial before then.

mtd: 48.52

Tuesday pm - 5.82 miles in 53.06 (9.08 pace) (though I did stop for a couple of minutes to give someone directions)
    Wednesday pm - 5.34 miles in 47.35 (8.55 pace)

Legs still feeling tired and a bit sore, even after two days off, so I decided to run at the slow end of my 8-9 minute target range. My left knee and right ankle are both feeling stiff and I don't want to push things. I'll run easy again tomorrow - this is about my marathon pace from last year, probably my long run pace when I start marathon training again this year.

I'm also thinking that, since I have five weekends before my MSB 5k target, I could fit in my two time trials and two interval sessions, but also a step back this weekend - maybe a longish (9/10 miles) run at this same pace, possibly some strides along the way, but nothing too strenuous. will see how it goes.

mtd: 59.68

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ray, you're a bit quicker than me at the moment and being someone who needs a goal to work towards, mine is to beat you in Dunshaughlin, you're in flying form but keep an eye over your shoulder in June ;)

• Advertisement

On a serious note, looking at your last week you mention being tired, are you in danger of overtraining? I took a few days off after the race on Sunday and am feeling the better for it.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing myself, so I'm having an easy week this week - no intervals, no time trial, all runs in the 8.30-9.00 pace range.

Are you doing the MSB 5k next month?

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, was thinking the same thing myself, so I'm having an easy week this week - no intervals, no time trial, all runs in the 8.30-9.00 pace range.

Are you doing the MSB 5k next month?

I'm saving myself for Mallow, gonna have a stab at 75 mins.

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm saving myself for Mallow, gonna have a stab at 75 mins.

A decent target, you should be able for it but it won't be easy.

A decent target, you should be able for it but it won't be easy.

I ran 10k over hills while sick @ 7:30 pace so should be able to hold it on the flat for the extra few miles.

• Advertisement

6.65 miles in 58.43 (8.50 pace)

Taking it easy again, included a lap of Bushy Park, running on the grass

mtd: 66.33

10.04 miles in 1.25.47 (8.32 pace)

Legs are feeling better, but kept things easy anyway. Ran this almost like a practice LSR - 8 miles at just under 9 minute pace, and the last 2 miles at just under 8 minute pace. Felt nice and relaxed, legs were only a little tired and stiff at the end, and caught up on all of my podcasts :)

mtd: 76.37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

10.04 miles in 1.25.47 (8.32 pace)

Legs are feeling better, but kept things easy anyway. Ran this almost like a practice LSR - 8 miles at just under 9 minute pace, and the last 2 miles at just under 8 minute pace. Felt nice and relaxed, legs were only a little tired and stiff at the end, and caught up on all of my podcasts :)

mtd: 76.37

Thought you were doing 'that' race today?

I was leaned on :D

Gerry Ryan came to me in a dream and told me not to.... when I'd stopped laughing at him, Kathryn Thomas appeared, and she's much more persuasive...

I was leaned on :D

Gerry Ryan came to me in a dream and told me not to.... when I'd stopped laughing at him, Kathryn Thomas appeared, and she's much more persuasive...

I hope she didn't make it too hard on you.:D

6.3 miles in 54.50 (8.42 pace)
    5.3 miles in 45.16 (8.32 pace)

Run home from work yesterday, and back in this morning. I was trying to do two things that turned out not to work well together - keep my pace at the slow end of the range, closer to 9 than 8 minute miles, and keep my strides short but my cadence high (after reading that cadence thread in the main forum). Found it very difficult to keep a high cadence and a slow pace, even with the short strides. Its much easier to slow down by taking longer, slower strides. Will have to think on this some more...

mtd: 87.97

6.3 miles in 54.50 (8.42 pace)
    5.3 miles in 45.16 (8.32 pace)

Run home from work yesterday, and back in this morning. I was trying to do two things that turned out not to work well together - keep my pace at the slow end of the range, closer to 9 than 8 minute miles, and keep my strides short but my cadence high (after reading that cadence thread in the main forum). Found it very difficult to keep a high cadence and a slow pace, even with the short strides. Its much easier to slow down by taking longer, slower strides. Will have to think on this some more...

mtd: 87.97

Is that to make your muscles work harder at a slower speed?

Is that to make your muscles work harder at a slower speed?

Here's the thread,and the article linked to...
    I think the idea is to encourage landing further forward on your feet, and increase leg speed. I was just curious really

6.15 miles in 52.59 (8.36 pace)

OH off to a spa today, so I'm home with the kids. Got my run in early before she leaves, up to Tymon and a quick lap around. Took it fairly easy, but threw in 7/8 strides on the way around (at around 6min pace, according to Garmin)

mtd: 94.12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

6.15 miles in 52.59 (8.36 pace)

OH off to a spa today, so I'm home with the kids. Got my run in early before she leaves, up to Tymon and a quick lap around. Took it fairly easy, but threw in 7/8 strides on the way around (at around 6min pace, according to Garmin)

mtd: 94.12

Good for her :)

• Advertisement

9.18 miles in 1.17.33
    5x1k @ 5k pace with 3 minutes recovery (plus warmup and warmdown)

Hmmm, didn't make the targets on those intervals, but messed up the laps on the Garmin so don't know exactly how far I fell short.

First 1k interval - bang on 6.30 (but not a steady pace during the interval - out too fast, slowed down, sped up towards the end)
    Second interval - did .72 miles, think I was just outside target pace
    Third interval was more like .56 miles :rolleyes:, around 6.45 pace
    Fourth was back to 1k, around 6.50
    Final interval was .66 miles, 6.46 pace

Not a great session then, but at least I finished it :(

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|103.3
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

5.38 miles in 47.23 (8.48 pace)
    Hadn't planned on running today, but found myself packing my running gear into my bag last night... this means I'll have four midweek runs, so I'll keep them all short and easy, but from tomorrow I'll throw some strides into each of them

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

5.38 miles in 47.23 (8.48 pace)
    Hadn't planned on running today, but found myself packing my running gear into my bag last night... this means I'll have four midweek runs, so I'll keep them all short and easy, but from tomorrow I'll throw some strides into each of them

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|
    April|7
    2|
    May|7
    5.9|
    June|90.2|
    July|118.1|
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

Are you managing to run for the fun of it lately?

Are you managing to run for the fun of it lately?

Well, most of my runs are in and out of work, usually at whatever pace I feel like and I think of the rationalisation later :) (training plan just says 90-150 seconds slower than 5k pace, and strides once a week) It's a nice enough run, most of it through parks and along the river - easy enough to extend with a lap of the park when I feel like it, but I can't cut it much shorter because I have a definite destination. I usually have a podcast on to help pass the time, but I like the fact that can commute by running so feel good about these runs anyway.

The only really hard run I have is on Saturday, and that is tough, not fun but brings its own sense of accomplishment.

5.33 miles in 45.19 (8.30 pace)

hmm, had planned to do some strides, but not in those shorts - not without some bodyglide on at least...

5.37 miles in 46.51 (8.43 pace)

legs a little tired, but did 4 or 5 sets of strides on the way home...

mtd: 10.7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

just realised that we have set two identical targets for this year: a sub 1:40 Half marathon and a sub 3:30 marathon (and I'll probably be trying for a sub 75 10 miler as well). Only difference is my half-marathon attempt will follow my marathon attempt and you're the other way round. Need to keep an eye on your log. Good luck (and well done on your 5 mile time earlier this year, don't know if I could manage that pace).

5.33 miles in 45.54 (8.37 pace)

...and back in to work, with a few more strides along the way

mtd: 16.03

6.33 miles in 54.34 (8.37 pace)

3k time trial

2 miles jog up to Tymon at a very easy pace, and 2.5 miles back at the same slow pace. 3k run in between.
    Finally had to admit that I can't run 6.30 pace yet. Every time I try I find myself gasping for breath and slowing down within 5 minutes. So today I controlled myself, tried to keep a steady 6.40 pace throughout. Still slowed down to about 6.50 on the first mile - should have done some strides to warm up, and it was uphill - but came back down to 6.20 pace for the next .85.
    So the plan for the MSB is to stick to that 6.40 pace for the first 2, 2.5 miles and then speed up - if possible - for the last bit. Won't get me under 20 minutes, but might be as close as I can get this time.

mtd: 22.36

• Advertisement

5.37 miles in 42.25 (7.54 pace)

Went off-plan today - stomach was giving me a bit of trouble, and had nothing to listen to on the ipod, so I just said 'feck it' and set off fast. First three miles in 23 minutes (including a couple of minutes waiting at traffic lights). Finished the third mile running up the hill in Bushy park, and I'd had enough.:rolleyes: Took it easy the rest of the way home, but the pace didn't drop below 8.30 even so. Stuck at another traffic light as I got to 5 miles, realised that I was there in under 40 minutes, which was nice - getting under 40 minutes for 5 miles felt like a big achievement at Sportsworld last year.

mtd: 27.73

Advertisement