Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

barneyrub wrote: »
    Those lists are usually not certified GF though. Most of them are no gluten containing ingredients

Indeed.

What is notable about the Aldi list that I posted a link to is that it states that the products listed are less than 20ppm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

But theres no other rice on the list?

Isn't long grain, brown rice etc GF too?

Note that you wont find savoury rice in the Aldi list either

FWIW Lidl used to ( and may still do ) sell a Thai Jasmine rice that is labelled gluten free on the outside of the pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

For a Coeliac, choosing what to eat is like entering a minefield, even the food producers cannot say that what we (can) eat is safe for us. Like many others, I will soon have to have another scope test done and even though I can say without any doubt that I have not knowingly eaten gluten, there may indeed be gluten damage in my gut. Its a crazy way for people to live, but we live with it nonetheless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

My current favourites are:
    -Be free sweet potato wraps (insanely expensive though)
    - The new Befree Oaty bread- it's absolutely delicious. Even the non coeliacs in the house couldn't believe it was GF
    - The Nakd bars- esp the Bakewell and the Cocoa orange
    - Aldi GF oats- great value
    - Aldi GF flour- I find it much better than the Doves farm (I found a weird aftertaste from this), and the baking results are better- I bake a lot. When I am baking I always substitute about 1/10th of the flour called for with ground almonds, it takes away the dryness of the GF flour. Also just to advise that Aldi's flour does not have xanthan gum in it (Doves faem does) so you will need to add it.
    - Aldi double chocolate chip cookies- gorgeous!
    - M&S caramel chocolate rice krispie squares- lethal to the waistline!
    - HoneyBuns GF lemon ginger bakewell- OMG!!!
    - Some of the foods of Athenry cakes and that in newsagents- its nice but pricey

I have noticed a good few GF cereals by Nestle in the regular cereal aisle. Unhealthy ones like honey but loops type things. I don't eat them so I am not sure what they're like. Incidentally the vast majority of cereals in the US are GF. I suppose they are much bigger corn growers than us and use the even-more-unhealthy corn syrup to sweeten rather than potentially glutenous glucose syrup. Things like Lucky Charms, Chex, Corn flakes, Rice krispies etc all available over there GF.

Eating out:
    - O'Briens do GF samnwiches but I have noticed their staff are NOT trained properly in handling the food and use the same knies and so on- so be careful if you are sensitive.
    - Mortons on Hatch St seem to be a lot more aware- they have seperate knives, cutting board, change gloves etc- but they are still using the same ingredients from the deli for fillings so you still need to be careful.
    - Bombay Pantry take aways- think they are pretty ok contamination wise
    I have noticed a lot of restaurants putting "gluten free" on their menus but cross contamination is very high. And some havent a clue. I was told a stir fry was gf the other day. when I asked if it had soy sauce in it, I was told yes...so not Gf then!!

Places that do GF food (that is normally glutenous- I'm not counting places where you can get a steak or a salad) but may still have traces:

- Eddie Rockets burger in a bowl
    - Lemon Creperie- Buckwheat panckaes, but cooked on the same hotplate
    - Credo pizza has closed down but great place in Bray called Platform do GF pizzas
    - Xixo on Baggot st has gf tortillas
    - Ppl have already mentioned Beshoffs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

0lddog wrote: »
    Indeed.

What is notable about the Aldi list that I posted a link to is that it states that the products listed are less than 20ppm.
    Unfortunately the aldi list states this
    The products listed are gluten free which contain 20 parts per million (ppm) or less of gluten, or are made without gluten containing ingredients and with controls in place to minimise the risk of cross contamination with gluten containing ingredients

So they include their gluten free range and then the rest which could well be below 20ppm but no way of knowing for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Does anybody know a takeaway or restaurant where you can get a gluten free kebab ?

Any response would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Try Zaytoon

Hi Guys, is there any other shops in Dublin, other than shops mentioned below that sell Gluten Free Oats ?

Supervalue
    Lidl
    Aldi
    Dunnes Stores

Any responses appreciated

tesco, Holland and Barrett, most other health food shops

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My current favourites are:
    -Be free sweet potato wraps (insanely expensive though)
    - The new Befree Oaty bread- it's absolutely delicious. Even the non coeliacs in the house couldn't believe it was GF
    - The Nakd bars- esp the Bakewell and the Cocoa orange
    - Aldi GF oats- great value
    - Aldi GF flour- I find it much better than the Doves farm (I found a weird aftertaste from this), and the baking results are better- I bake a lot. When I am baking I always substitute about 1/10th of the flour called for with ground almonds, it takes away the dryness of the GF flour. Also just to advise that Aldi's flour does not have xanthan gum in it (Doves faem does) so you will need to add it.
    - Aldi double chocolate chip cookies- gorgeous!
    - M&S caramel chocolate rice krispie squares- lethal to the waistline!
    - HoneyBuns GF lemon ginger bakewell- OMG!!!
    - Some of the foods of Athenry cakes and that in newsagents- its nice but pricey

I have noticed a good few GF cereals by Nestle in the regular cereal aisle. Unhealthy ones like honey but loops type things. I don't eat them so I am not sure what they're like. Incidentally the vast majority of cereals in the US are GF. I suppose they are much bigger corn growers than us and use the even-more-unhealthy corn syrup to sweeten rather than potentially glutenous glucose syrup. Things like Lucky Charms, Chex, Corn flakes, Rice krispies etc all available over there GF.

Eating out:
    - O'Briens do GF samnwiches but I have noticed their staff are NOT trained properly in handling the food and use the same knies and so on- so be careful if you are sensitive.
    - Mortons on Hatch St seem to be a lot more aware- they have seperate knives, cutting board, change gloves etc- but they are still using the same ingredients from the deli for fillings so you still need to be careful.
    - Bombay Pantry take aways- think they are pretty ok contamination wise
    I have noticed a lot of restaurants putting "gluten free" on their menus but cross contamination is very high. And some havent a clue. I was told a stir fry was gf the other day. when I asked if it had soy sauce in it, I was told yes...so not Gf then!!

Places that do GF food (that is normally glutenous- I'm not counting places where you can get a steak or a salad) but may still have traces:

- Eddie Rockets burger in a bowl
    - Lemon Creperie- Buckwheat panckaes, but cooked on the same hotplate
    - Credo pizza has closed down but great place in Bray called Platform do GF pizzas
    - Xixo on Baggot st has gf tortillas
    - Ppl have already mentioned Beshoffs etc

The Nakd bars- esp the Bakewell and the Cocoa orange

I agree they are delicious I love the Strawberry crunch one as well and the Rhubarb and custard one is nice too.

As for places to eat have you tried McKenzies? There chicken burger and chips are yummy.
    Would love to be able to eat in Eddie Rockets again but don,t think I would ever risk it. Used to eat there all the time many years ago now before I was diagnosed coeliac.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, I am looking for GF Cornmeal or GF polenta Polenta in Dublin, I couldn't find this in Aldi, Lidl, Holland and Barrett, Marks & Spencer's and Tesco on Parnel Street .....

Thus if anybody knows where I can buy this ? advice would be greatly appreciated

Try the Asian shop on Parnell st.
    Alternatively Holland and Barrett but you'll pay more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nourish should have it as well.

They have 6 or 7 shops around Dublin.

Try the Asian shop on Parnell st.
    Alternatively Holland and Barrett but you'll pay more

I tried Holland Barret but their cornmeal and polenta isn't GF....I will look into the Asian shops and nourish

whiz wrote: »
    I tried Holland Barret but their cornmeal and polenta isn't GF....I will look into the Asian shops and nourish

Oh you mean it's not certified gf? Cos it's naturally gf

Oh you mean it's not certified gf? Cos it's naturally gf

In Holland and Barrett...they have disclaimer on the products saying it may include gluten

I found GF Cornmeal / GF Polenta in 1) Fallon & Byrne and 2) SuperValu

In Dublin City centre, has anybody come across any other restaurants / takeaways that do gluten free pizza ?

Other than what is listed in brackets (Credo, Manifesto, Dominios, Zizzis, Milanos)

Credo closed down in January. They said they were going to reopen elsewhere but there's nothing online. Pity. They were pricey but tasty

In Dublin City centre, has anybody come across any other restaurants / takeaways that do gluten free pizza ?

Other than what is listed in brackets (Credo, Manifesto, Dominios, Zizzis, Milanos)

Anybody got any other recommendations ?

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, do you know where you can get a decent gluten free pizza base or mix ?

I have tried Schar Gluten Free Base in Supervalu and Isabels Gluten Free Pizza mix in Holland & Barretts....but these aren't great....if anybody is aware of any other options....please respond...even if you could tell me where restaurants like Milanos etc source their gluten free pizza base, It would be great

Any responses would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I have tried Schar Gluten Free Base in Supervalu and Isabels Gluten Free Pizza mix in Holland & Barretts....but these aren't great....if anybody is aware of any other options....please respond...even if you could tell me where restaurants like Milanos etc source their gluten free pizza base, It would be great

I gave up on pizza bases fairly quickly once I had to start the diet.
    I'm fairly sure Milanos have their base made specifically for them, and it's not commercially available.

If you're okay with frozen pizzas, I find just getting a plain enough one and adding my own toppings to be the best bet. I also drizzle some olive oil over to give the base some stretchyness. My own choice is Schar, which strangeley seems to use a different base than their 'pizza base' that you buy separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Slightly alternative choice, but I used the new Jus-Rol GF puff pastry and was happy with results. It's in chilled section in supermarkets and unrolls into a circle. Granted it's puff pastry and a bit sweeter I guess, but I loved it and the crust puffed up nicely. Very different I know, but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

A petition has been started to try and convince McDonald's to cater for Coeliacs, the same way they do in Spain, Italy, Sweden etc..

Whatever your own views of McDonald's may be, I think it's worth signing.

Coeliac Options in McDonalds

Hey Guys,

Is there any supermarket brands for olive, sunflower and vegetable oils that people use and get no gluten reaction too and would recommend ?

Any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hey Guys,

Is there any supermarket brands for olive, sunflower and vegetable oils that people use and get no gluten reaction too and would recommend ?

Any advice appreciated.

Gluten in oils? There surely isn't any? Perhaps there may be cross contamination somewhere along the line, but there shouldn't be any actually in it. I hope nobody proves me wrong now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

g0g wrote: »
    Slightly alternative choice, but I used the new Jus-Rol GF puff pastry and was happy with results. It's in chilled section in supermarkets and unrolls into a circle. Granted it's puff pastry and a bit sweeter I guess, but I loved it and the crust puffed up nicely. Very different I know, but worth trying.

Omg I didn't know this was a thing
    Is it in all of them??

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Gluten in oils? There surely isn't any? Perhaps there may be cross contamination somewhere along the line, but there shouldn't be any actually in it. I hope nobody proves me wrong now.

I know from some of them I get headaches, I think it's down to cross comtamination....if any anybody has got any supermarket brand suggestions, it be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

bluewolf wrote: »
    Omg I didn't know this was a thing
    Is it in all of them??
    Dunno, I've gotten it in two different Tesco's anyway

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Dunno, I've gotten it in two different Tesco's anyway

Here what was the name of the brands you got ?

Advertisement